Part 1

Be Careful What You Wish For

I decided to split things up! I felt bad for making you wait so long so here's the first part! It's only the beginning of the story and I'll post everything else when I'm done with the entire story, but here's a chapter. Thanks for being patient! 
Oh, and excuse any mistakes, I promise to go over once everything is posted and fix it.


Jongdae wakes up from his pleasant dream, alarm blasting throughout his room. His roommate groans and rolls over, trying to block out the noise. Slowly sitting up, Jongdae throws his pillow at his clock, knocking it off his nightstand, and stopping the obnoxious sound. Running his hands over his face, he tries to wipe away the sleep from his eyes. Swinging his legs onto the floor, he stands up and makes his way to the bathroom, getting ready for another day.
He turns the sink on and splashes cold water on his face in another attempt to wake himself up. Looking at himself in the mirror, he cringes at the dark circles around his eyes.
“This is what you get for staying up all night, Kim Jongdae,” he said to himself. He went through his daily routine of brushing his teeth and trying to style his hair before giving up and trying to convince himself that it looked fine and he rocked the “just got out of bed” look. Sighing, he turned off the faucet and went back to his room, picking up some clothes from the floor and putting them on, not bothering to check if they were clean or not. “I'm leaving,” he called out to his roommate.
“I don't care,” the sleeping boy muttered.
Scoffing, Jongdae opened the door and stepped out, slamming it because he knew it would piss off his roommate.
He walked down the hall, not bothering to say hello to the other half asleep people on their way to class as well.
“Why the hell did I sign up for an eight o'clock class?”
Walking on autopilot, Jongdae let his feet lead him to his class. He bumped into a few people in the courtyard, but no one really cared. It was too early to get angry.
Jongdae didn't go to that big of a school so he saw a lot of familiar faces on his walk.
Before he knew it, Jongdae was entering his lecture hall, climbing up the steps to his usual seat in the back, away from people who might try and have a conversation with him.
It's not that he didn't like people, because he did. It's just that Jongdae wasn't very good at continuing a conversation and he would feel stupid and embarrassed and the other person would end up leaving him. He didn't want to go through all that trouble. People were hard to deal with and it made Jongdae stressed. He was already focusing on his studies and trying to get enough sleep. He didn't need things like friends distracting him. Sure, he had a roommate, but they barely saw each other. The only time they spoke was when Jongdae would leave for class, and even then it wasn't a meaningful conversation.
However, there was only one person who could make Jongdae talk in the morning.
Kim Minseok.
Minseok sat a row ahead of Jongdae. He always greeted the tired boy with a bright smile that would leave Jongdae feeling all warm inside for the rest of the class period.
They never said anything besides greetings and small talk, but that was enough for Jongdae. He felt proud of himself for actually talking to such an attractive boy without stuttering and making a fool of himself like he usually would.
But today, Jongdae never got that warm feeling. Minseok never showed up for class.
Jongdae stared at the clock on the wall in front of him, waiting for Minseok to come running through the doors yelling that he had overslept. But as the minutes passed by and there was only six minutes left of class, Jongdae pouted and laid his head down on his desk. Sometimes Jongdae really hated his life.
Eventually, the professor dismissed the class and he slowly packed his things and left.
Just like every other day, he went to the coffee stand and grabbed a large vanilla latte. Just like everyday he went to the school's fountain and sat down. Just like every other day, he sipped his coffee and burned his tongue while watching the same bikers ride past him. Everyday was the same, and Jongdae was getting sick and tired of it.
Pulling out his phone, he sighed when he saw that it was only nine-thirty, meaning he still had another hour before his next class. Just like every other day.
He stood up and raised his arms above his head, stretching until he heard his back crack. He walked towards the library, hoping to be able to find an available desk where he could get a few minutes of rest.
The library was warm and it was a pleasant replacement from the cold air hitting Jongdae's skin. He had forgotten to bring a coat with him and he could feel his blood turning cold. He bowed to the librarian at the desk before walking to the back of the library and locating an empty desk in the far corner. He sped up, excited that he had found the perfect spot.
Jongdae had just reached the desk and was just about to pull out the chair when he felt someone push into him. He stumbled a couple of steps before he straightened up and looked up at the person who caused him to trip.
“Watch where you're going.”
Jongdae's eyes widened when he realized that it was none other than Minseok standing with another boy with a pretty face. “I-I'm sorry?”
“I said watch where you're going.”
Jongdae's heart sped up and he felt himself growing red. He looked straight into the glaring eyes of Minseok and noticed that the usually bubbly boy looked tired. Not tired like Jongdae was but really tired. He looked exhausted. His skin was pale and his eyes were bloodshot. He had worse circles than Jongdae had, if that was even possible. Minseok didn't really look angry. He looked like he didn't want to deal with anything and Jongdae knew the feeling.
But it was still strange and Jongdae felt compelled to say something. After all, the two have never spoken outside of their classroom and Jongdae had never really seen him anywhere else either, so this was like a sign, right?
“Why weren't you in class?”
“What?”
“You weren't in class today. I was just wondering where you were.”
Minseok rolled his eyes and Jongdae felt like crying. “I didn't know you were spying for my mom. Why do you care if I go to class or not?”
“I didn't mean it like that-”
“I don't care how you meant it! I just didn't feel like going. Is that enough for you?”
Jongdae didn't have to look at himself to know that his face was bright red. He felt sweat forming on his forehead and he rubbed his hands together nervously. “I didn't mean to get you mad.”
“Well, you did. Now leave me alone.” Minseok glared at him again before he took the seat the Jongdae was heading towards and sat down, using his backpack as a pillow.
The boy who was with Minseok looked at Jongdae and mouthed an I'm sorry. Jongdae just shook his head. The boy smiled at him and patted him on the shoulder before going to sit across from Minseok.
Jongdae didn't want to sleep much after that.

***

“You didn't have to take it out on the poor kid.”
Minseok lifted his head up and looked at Luhan through his fringe before putting it back down. “Be quiet, Luhan. I'm tired.”
“No, you were mean! He looked like he wanted to cry.”
Minseok sat straight up and placed his head in his hands. “Ah, I know! And I'm sorry, okay? I only slept for three hours. I was up all night studying. I'm just tired of everything, Lu. I'm tired of life.”
“Oh gosh, stop being a teenage girl.”
“Luhan! I'm serious. It's always the same thing. I go to the same classes everyday and I don't do anything new. I'm a boring person.” Luhan chuckled softly and hit his friend in the head. “Hey!”
“You're boring because you make yourself boring. You always stay in your room studying even when I invite you to parties. You're the one who signed up for all these classes! I don't understand why that boy had anything to do with it, but he looked really concerned that you weren't in class today, and you went off on him. He could've made your life exciting, but you just made him run away.”
Minseok groaned, cursing himself for making Jongdae upset. “I'm so ed up. He's so great. He makes waking up early worth it with his bright smiles and his voice and his everything.”
“Sounds like you like him.”
“No!” Minseok yelled. Luhan looked highly amused while every other person in the library was looking at Minseok with a mixture of strange looks. Blushing, Minseok bent down and lowered his voice. “I mean, he's just a cool person.”
“I'm sure that's what you meant.”
“Shut up, it is what I meant,” Minseok said while at the same time throwing his backpack at Luhan's face. Luhan moved out of the way, much to Minseok's dismay. “I hate you.”
“You're just upset because I know who you like now.”
Standing up, Minseok walks around to desk and picks up his bag from the floor, dusting it off before throwing it onto his shoulders. He looked at Luhan before motioning him with his head to follow him. He began walking before Luhan could even get up, having the other boy scramble to catch up to Minseok. “Where are we going?”
“Where do you think?”
Luhan looked at Minseok, confused. “I really don't know...”
“Then you'll see when we get there.”
Luhan looked down at his feet, eyebrows knit together. Minseok laughed inwardly and he could tell that Luhan was trying to figure out exactly what Minseok was planning to do.
It only took a few more minutes for Luhan to gasp and yank Minseok by his wrist. “No. We are not going over there.”
Minseok smirked, crossing his arms over his chest. “What are you talking about Luhan?”
“Minseok! I don't know how you find out, but we can't go over there!”
Ignorning Luhan's protests, Minseok grabbed Luhan's shoulders and began puhsing him toward the basketball courts. It was hard considering that Luhan wasn't moving his feet at all and was desperately trying to turn around and run to his dorm room, but Minseok wasn't having any of it. He was tired of Luhan doing the same thing everyday, and he was going to put a stop to it.
It took longer than it should have, but Minseok and Luhan were finally standing in front of the gates seperating them from the players on the court. Looking over at Luhan, Minseok could see the other boy shaking. “Well?”
“Well what?”
“Aren't you going to talk to him?”
Luhan glared up at Minseok. “I really hate you.”
“Luhan,” Minseok said as he was trying to find the entrance, “we walk by here every single day. And everyday you start walking a little slower. You many think I don't notice, and I didn't at first. But after the seventh time, I'd have to be stupid not to notice you staring at that guy over there.” Minseok pointed to a tall boy with blond hair, currently trying to steal the ball from another boy with dark hair.
Pouting, Luhan stomped his foot. “You can't make me do anything!”
“Stop acting like a child! You're just mad because I know who you like now,” Minseok said teasingly. Luhan's mouth dropped open. “You can't use my own words against me!”
“I can and I did! Now let's go. We aren't going to get anything accomplished just standing here.” Minseok began walking towards the opening and looked over his shoulder, sighing when he saw Luhan still in the same spot.
Okay, maybe Minseok shouldn't have brought Luhan here. He knew it was a harsh thing to do, but Luhan needed a push to get him moving! It's been a months since Luhan began staring at the boy and Minseok was tired of it. He was tired of everything.
“Luhan?”
“I don't know if I can do this.” Luhan looked up at him with wide eyes, hands fisted at his side. “What if he rejects me?”
Minseok laughed loudly, suprising Luhan. “Listen here, Luhan. If he rejects you, then that guy is not worth your time! You are fabulous and great and you have the face an angel and I would be in love with you if I didn't hate you.”
“Minseok!”
“I'm kidding, of course! But you're my best friend and I hate that fact that you can't see how great of a person you are.” He grabs his best friend and forces him into a bone-crushing hug. Luhan immediately wraps his arms around Minseok, and he can hear soft sniffles coming from Luhan.
“Oh, the things he does to me Minseok. It .”
“That's what happens when you like someone!”
Pulling away, Luhan's eyes are a little red and he's biting his lip. “You're wrong though.”
“What?”
“You're wrong! I know I'm ing fabulous.” Minseok laughs and punches Luhan in the arm. “The problem is that he doesn't know I'm fabulous.”
“Well, we're going to fix that today!” Minseok smiled widely and he could see the corner of Luhan's mouth moving upward. Grabbing Luhan by the wrist again, Minseok led them towards the open gate, taking a spot of the metal benches by the court.
The blond-haired boy looked at the pair for a few seconds before focusing on the game again. Minseok could see the tips of Luhan's ears turn red.
He didn't really pay attention to the game much, instead stressing himself out over the things he still needed to do for his classes.
Minseok still hadn't chosen a major, despite it being his second year of college. He just wasn't sure what he wanted to do yet. Luhan kept insisting that he try out for singing, but he had realistic dreams and knew that he would never be succesful in that field.
You could say that Minseok was popular. A lot of people knew who he was and said hi to him when they saw him. He was always getting invited to parties, even though he never went to any. People always asked Minseok for help on homework and he always said yes. That's just the type of person Minseok was. But it's not like any of them actually knew a lot about him. The only person Minseok could actually call a friend was Luhan, and that's because they've known each other since middle school.
Minseok's life has always been a routine. His parents would monitor his school work and sign him up for extra classes and clubs that he had no interest in whatsoever. He would've said something about it, but he was their only child, so he just let them do whatever they want. It's a miracle that Minseok was even alive. His mother wasn't able to carry Minseok full term, causing him to be born three months earlier. Every one expected him to die, but he surprised everyone by making to it to a year, and then two years, and he just kept on living. Now he's nineteen years old and perfectly healthy, but not entirely happy.
Kim Jongdae is the only person who could make him genuinely smile. Luhan makes Minseok smile, but it's not the smile that appears on his face when he sees Jongdae. He first saw Jongdae his first year of college, sitting down by a fountain with a coffee in his hands. He was tempted to go over and say something to him, but before he could, Jongdae stood up and left. Minseok didn't see him again after that.
So imagine how excited he must have been when he walked into his first class his second year and saw Jongdae sitting in the back, looking like he could use a couple more hours of sleep. Minseok had to force himself not to run up the stairs and launch himself into Jongdae's lap. Instead, he slowly climbed the steps and took the seat directly in front of Jongdae, smiling at the other boy who seemed surprised that someone was talking to him. Minseok felt his heart jump when Jongdae smiled back and gave him a small wave before he turned around and sat down in his seat.
Minseok never told anyone about Jongdae, not even Luhan, so now that he knows, Minseok just knows that he's going to do something about it, no matter how much he tries to stop it.
Luhan is always telling Minseok to do something with his life instead of just staying his room, having another date with his textbooks. Minseok always tells him the same thing: he doesn't have the time. But there has always been one thing that Minseok has wanted to do with a passion.
He's always been into soccer, ever since he was a little kid. There's a soccer team at his school, and he was going to try out for it, but that same weekend, he got a call from his mom telling him about his parents expectations and how they were excited that he had gotten into such a great school and to put his studies before anything.
Minseok put his soccer cleats in the back of his closet after he hung up.
That phone call is also why he put his feelings for Jongdae in the back of his mind. He still said hello to the boy, but there was no way he could ever be in a relationship with anyone until he finished school. It's what his parents wanted, and who was he to go against their wishes?
Except today, Minseok was done. He didn't care about anything, and as his alarm woke him up, he picked it up and threw it across the room, smashing it against the wall. Luhan sat up in his bed and picked up the broken remains of the clock. He left the room and came back with breakfast and some coffee. He didn't need to say anything or ask any questions because he understood. Luhan always understood.
It was a little half-past nine when he and Luhan left their room together and headed for the library, deciding they should use the day however they wanted, and Minseok wanted to study, as always.
He just didn't expect to bump into Jongdae there.
And he sure as hell didn't mean to snap at the boy.
Minseok had to force himself to look away from Jongdae's face because the hurt in his eyes was enough to make him want to throw his arms around him and kiss away the sadness. But he didn't. He couldn't.
“, Minseok.”
Minseok was awaken from his thoughts by Luhan, who was hitting his shoulder over and over again.
“Luhan, stop! What's wrong?”
“Practice is over. He's leaving!” Minseok looked over to see the boy packing up his things into his bag and wiping his forehead with a towel. He was just about to leave with his friends when Minseok yelled. “Hey, you!” Everyone stared at Minseok and Luhan dug his nails into his arm. Ignorning the pain, Minseok shook his arm free from Luhan's death grip. “You, come here.”
The boy looked around at his friends around him before pointing at himself. “Are you talking to me?”
“Minseok, I swear-” Luhan hissed at him.
“Yes, I'm talking to you. Now come here. I need to tell you something!” Minseok could hear Luhan let out a whine, but he didn't really care. It was time that this came to an end.
Slowly, the boy walked over. “Yea?”
Smiling, Minseok wrapped an arm around the boy. “My name is Minseok, and this here is my friend Luhan!” Luhan looked up through his bangs and then buried his face in his hands. “As you can see, he's very shy in front of you. Do you want to know why...uh, what's your name?”
“It's Oh Sehun.”
“Ah! Well do you want to know why, Sehun?”
“Minseok, if you don't shut your mouth now-”
“I want to know.” Minseok and Luhan looked over to Sehun, who was blushing as well.
Minseok smiled ever wider and leaned in to whisper in Sehun's ear. “It's because he really, really likes you.”
“Minseok!”
Minseok stepped away before Luhan could punch him in the face and pushed Sehun so that the two of them fell into each other's arms.
Luhan stepped away quickly and began apologizing. Sehun shut him up by grabbing his face and kissing him.
Not wanting to intrude on such a personal moment, Minseok walked away. He was thanked by Sehun's friends, saying that Sehun would not shut up about how much he liked the mystery boy, who turned out to be Luhan.
Minseok goes back to his dorm room to take a nap. He figures he's going to need all the energy he can get for when Luhan comes back to tell him all about Sehun and his perfect face.


***

 

After a long day of classes, Jongdae was ready to go to bed. His mood was still terrible after his encounter with Minseok, but he figured that once he got some rest, he would feel a little better about the entire situation. He had tried to convince himself that Minseok didn't actually hate him and he was just tired, but there was still a nagging thought in the back of his mind telling him that he was wrong. Sighing, Jongdae entered his dorm building and climbed the stairs since the elevators had stopped working. He reached his door and pulled out his key, sticking it inside the lock. Jongdae opened the door to his room just as his roommate was about to leave.
“Hey, where are you going?”
“Why do you care?”
Taken aback, Jongdae stutters a little bit. “I just wanted to know if I should make you dinner today...”
His roommate smiled at him before putting on his coat. “No, it's okay. I have a date! But thanks anyway.”
“Oh...good for you! I hope you have a good time,” Jongdae said, trying to keep his voice under control.
“It'll probably be late when I get back, so don't wait up, okay?”
Jongdae smiled, despite the feeling in his chest. “I won't.”
“See you later Jongdae!”
The door closed in his face before Jongdae could say goodbye back. Dragging his feet, Jongdae flopped himself down onto his bed, burying his face in his pillow. Jongdae didn't know why he felt upset all of a sudden. It's not like his roommate and him ever hung out. But today, Jongdae was hoping to have someone to talk to about things.
Every night, Jongdae would make dinner for the both of them and his roommate would eat it sitting at his desk, earphones on while he was watching a show. Jongdae would eat by himself on his bed.
He sat up and grabbed his laptop, looking through his email for any messages worth answering. There wasn't anything but promotions and coupons.
Jongdae was a year younger than most of the kids in his year. He was a the youngest child of four brothers and he was always getting neglected and forgotten. It's not like his parents did it on purpose. He just didn't do anything that would make him stand out from his older brothers. He was barely average. All of his brothers were either sports stars or geniuses. Jongdae wasn't any of that.
His entire school career, he had to study harder than everybody to be able to pass his classes. He managed to get to the top of his class, but it never seemed to be enough for his parents. Jongdae didn't have time for anything other than studying. He didn't really have a choice. Jongdae is pretty sure that's why he has such a hard time making friends. Maybe that's why he doesn't have any.
During break periods, Jongdae would walk around his school, looking for a place that was alone so he could sit down and put his headphones on, trying to block out the mindless chatter of the other students.
When he got into his first choice of college, Jongdae cried. When he told his parents, they had cried as well and Jongdae finally felt as if he amounted to something.
His phone began to ring, and he searched his bed, trying to find it in the mess of his blankets.
Jongdae finds it when it clatters on the floor. Sighing, he leans down and picks it up, looking at the caller ID.
Jongdae is surprised to see who's calling him.
His mom.
Answering the call, he immediately put the phone to his ear. “Mom?”
“Jongdae! How are you, honey?”
“I'm fine. Is something wrong?”
“Of course not! Why would anything be wrong?”
“You never really call me unless it's something important...” Jongdae said, breathing a sigh of relief.
“Oh god, that's true. I feel terrible now! I'm sorry!”
Jongdae laughed a little, laying down on his bed. “It's okay, mom. Don't feel bad.”
I miss you so much!”
A lump forms in Jongdae's throat and he doesn't realize exactly how much he missed his family until his mom said those words. Jongdae hadn't visited his family in almost two years. He would stay at school during the breaks, camping out in the library. He just wouldn't let himself rest. His entire future was resting on his grades and he didn't want to disappoint his parents anymore.
His parents and sibling always called him, trying to convince him to come home, even if it was just for a week, but Jongdae always refused. They didn't feel the pressure that Jongdae did every day of his life. They had always had it easy.
“I-I miss you, too, mom.”
“When are you coming home?”
Jongdae could feel tears pricking at his eyes and he didn't speak for a while, in fear that his mom would be able to hear the pain in his voice.
“Jongdae?”
“I-I'm coming home soon. I promise.”
“Honey, is everything okay? You sound upset.”
Jongdae laughed, mostly trying to get rid of tightness in his throat. “I'm just a little tired. I was about to go bed when you called, actually.”
“Oh! Then should I call you back tomorrow?”
“No, no! It's okay! I can stay up a little for you.”
“Ah, my little Jongdae. You were always so sweet to me.”
This time, Jongdae didn't try to stop the tears from rolling down his face, shutting his eyes tight. “Well, someone had to take that role.”
The two of them talk for another hour or so before Jongdae can barely hold his eyes open. His says goodbye to his mom, promising to call home more often.
The second he puts the phone down, he cracks, tears falling down nonstop. He grabs his pillow and beats his bed with it, trying to release some of this frustration that's been building up for a long time now.
Jongdae isn't one to show his emotions. Ever. Not once will you ever see him cry. That's just not the type of person is. But every now and then, holding things in will be too much for Jongdae and he'll break down, screaming about everything that's terrible in his life.
In this case, it's Kim Minseok. His mom just triggered the reaction.
Minseok isn't the only reason that Jongdae hates his existence. Minseok is just the biggest reason Jongdae hates his life.
“Why can't he ing like me back!” Jongdae screams as he grabs a textbook and hurls it across the room. “I just want someone to ing like me back!”
Jongdae knows he will never ever get Minseok to look at him the way he does. He doesn't even know why he tries to get the other boy to notice him. It's never going to happen.
“I-I just-Ah!” Jongdae kicks his desk, wincing at the pain in his foot, before grabbing his chair and flipping it over. “I just want someone! I need something to make my life ing worth it!”
It's another hour before Jongdae finally calms down. He's curled up on the floor, shivering slightly but making no move to get a blanket.
“This just isn't fair.” Jongdae whispers. “It's not ing fair.”
He falls asleep like that, not waking up when his roommate comes back, not entirely surprised at the state of their room.
It wouldn't be the first time he's come back after one of Jongdae's breakdowns.


***

“Minseok!”
A tired Minseok looked up from his phone, spotting Luhan charging at him full speed. Minseok was currently sitting under a tree somewhere on his school's campus, reading some article about how apple pies were the hottest thing on the market at the moment.
“Luhan. What's up?”
Luhan stopped a few feet away from him and put his hands on his hips. “You don't look very excited to see me.”
“I am. Trust me, I look forward to you gracing me with your presence everyday. I pray for the chance that I get to catch a glimpse at your face.”
“We're roommates you idiot,” Luhan said while giggling, taking a seat next to Minseok. “Ah, Minseok. You are the bestest friend ever. Did you know that?”
“Of course I did. But what did I do to make you realize that?”
“Yesterday! With Sehun! If it hadn't been for you, I still would've been staring at him from a distance. It was great. It was amazing. His kisses are the best. Oh dear, I need to kiss him again!”
Minseok smiled, happy to see his friend so excited over being with someone. “See, now if you had just done all of this sooner, we could've avoided all this loving from a distance.”
“I know! Turns out that he had liked me for the longest time as well! Since the end of last year! Can you believe that?”
“Actually, I can. I'm pretty sure all of his friends noticed it, too. You guys were the only oblivious ones in this.”
Luhan frowned. “It's not my fault. I was just scared that he would reject me if I put myself out there.”
“You knew that fear was stupid!”

“I know, I know. But I'm so happy, Minseok! We decided to ditch all of our classes yesterday and just spend time with each other, trying to catch up on lost time. Did you know that he collects vintage records? How cool is that!?”
Minseok leaned back against the tree, watching Luhan's face become animated with each word he spoke about Sehun. Minseok hadn't seen this in a long time, and he was grateful that Luhan had found someone special.
Minseok just wished that he had someone that would make him as excited as Luhan was. Sure, there was Jongdae, but that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. It was unrequited love. He probably should've have given up a while back, but there was something nagging at him, telling him that there will still be a chance. There will always be a chance.
“Hello?” Luhan asked, waving his arms in front of Minseok's face. “Were you even listening?”
“Probably not,” Minseok said, smirking at Luhan's reaction.
“How rude! Now I'm not even going to tell you the best part.”
“Aww, come on, Luhan! I was only kidding.” Luhan crossed his arms and turned away, determined look on his face. “Are you ignorning me? You can't ignore me!”
“Oh? Why is that?”
“Because I know that you're ticklish!” Minseok yelled, while diving for Luhan. Luhan tried to move away, but wasn't quick enough. Minseok began tickling Luhan's sides, causing him the laugh uncontrollably and shake under Minseok's grasp.
“Okay, okay! I'll tell you! Just please stop!” Luhan managed to yell out between laughs. Eventually, Minseok got off and Luhan caught his breath. “Gosh, when you want to know something, you pull out the big guns.”
“That's how I roll, baby.”
Luhan cringed, scrunching up his nose. “Never say that again. I beg you. Now, what I was going to say before someone viciously attacked me-”
“I wouldn't say that I was vicious, Lu.”
“I'm talking!” Minseok clamped his lips shut. “Okay, thank you. Anyway, Sehun is throwing a party this weekend and you're invited! You know, since you're the one who managed to get us together.”
“Seriously, Luhan? You're inviting me, of all people, to a party? I don't think so.”
Luhan grabbed Minseok by the shoulders and began to shake him. “Come on! It'll be fun! You have to!”
“Do I really have to?”
“Yes! You do! And besides, Sehun said you could bring someone.
Minseok raised an eyebrow at Luhan. “So?”
“So you can invite Jongdae!”
Minseok was silent for a second before shaking his head. “No, nope. Not gonna happen.”
“Ugh, stop being such a weenie!”
“Did you just call me a ing weenie?”
“Well that's what you're being!” Luhan checked his phone and stood up. “I have to go, but promise me you'll at least think about it?”
Sighing, Minseok nodded. “Fine. I'll think about it.”
“And if you do go, you have to ask Jongdae. Okay?”
“What?!”
“Bye, Minseok!”
Minseok watched as Luhan ran away, leaving him sitting under the shade of the tree, thinking of ways to kill his best friend with out being a prime suspect.
He'll never tell Luhan this, but Minseok was actually considering going. Maybe not with Jongdae, but by himself. It could be a good way to take his mind off of things.
But then again who goes to a party by themselves? There could be the chance that he meets someone there, but there really is no guarantee. He could be spending the entire party standing by himself and looking like a loser.
There was no way that was going to happen.
So against his better judgement, he got up from his comfortable spot under the tree and dusted off his pants, starting his search for Jongdae.
It wouldn't be easy to find him, Minseok knew that from the beginning. What he didn't expect was to be wandering around for almost two hours and see no sign of Jongdae. He asked a couple of people that passed by him, but they had no idea who he was, so he kept on searching.
“Why didn't I get his number when I had the chance?” Minseok saw the sun beginning to set and groaned. If he didn't find Jongdae soon, he'd have to go home and try again tomorrow. He sat down on a bench, feet tired from walking around his entire school.
“Are you Minseok?”

Slowly, Minseok raised his eyes and saw an unfamiliar face smiling down at him uncertainly.
“Uh, yea. That's me.”
“Ah! That's good!”
“Really? What's up?”
The boy sat down next to him. “I heard that you've been looking for my roommate.”
Minseok's mouth dropped into a small 'o'. “You know him?”
“It would make me pretty messed up if I didn't know who he was!” The boy laughed a little at Minseok's expression. “He's my roommate.”
“Ah! That's great! I've been looking for him everywhere!”
“You've been looking in the wrong places. He doesn't really like to leave his room unless he has to go to class.”
Minseok let his head fall down, sighing in frustration. “I just spent so much time looking for him. I wish I knew this before I started.”
“If you want, I can pass down whatever you want to tell him.”
“You sure you don't mind?”
“Of course not! Why would I? I've never seen any one Jongdae's friends come to our room before so I'm happy that there's someone out there!”
Coughing, Minseok played with the hair on the back of his head. “Uh, Jongdae and I aren't exactly friends.”
“Oh. Oh.” He began nudging Minseok in the side, a knowing smile on his face. “I get you. Don't worry, I'll tell him.”
Minseok could feel himself blushing and turned away so that he wasn't facing the boy. “Can you just tell him that my friend is having a party and I would really like it if he went with me?”
“I'll be sure to tell him!” Jongdae's roommate bounced up, adjusting his jacket before zipping it all the way up. “How are you going to know if he said yes, though?”
“Oh! Wait, let me give you my phone number.” Digging around in his backpack, Minseok grabbed a pen and a scrap of paper and quickly scribbled down his number before handing it over. “Tell him to text me, okay?”
“Got it!” He turned around to walk away but Minseok stopped him by grabbing him by the wrist.
“I never got your name?”
The boy smiled. “My name is Kim Jonghyun.”
“It's nice to meet you!”
“The pleasure is all mine.”

***

Jongdae sat down on the floor sorting through the files on his computer. Yawning, Jongdae rubbed his eyes, squinting his laptop screen.
He flinches when the door to his room slams open, revealing his roommate, a bright smile on his face.
“Jongdae!”
“Jonghyun, you're back early.”
Jonghyun flung his backpack onto his bed and went over to Jongdae, sitting right in front of him. “I wasn't planning on coming back. But I have some good news for you! Or bad, I'm not sure how you'll take it.”
Jongdae closed his laptop and put it next to him, leaning forward and resting his chin in his hand. “Really? Why would you have news for me?”
“Don't say it like that, Jongdae!”
“Alright, alright. What is it that you have to tell me?”
Jonghyun bit his lip, trying to hold down the smile that was creeping up on his face. “Someone was looking for you today.”
“Looking for me?” Jongdae asked, shocked. “Really?”
“I know, right? Not that people shouldn't be looking for you, but it's just this is the first time!” Jonghyun yelled, throwing his hands up in the air. “And you'll never guess who it was!”
Jongdae smiled, feeling something that he had really felt. Happiness flowed through him as Jonghyun talked. He realized that this was the first time they had an actual conversation and he wondered if this is how it felt like to have friends.
“Are you going to tell me or am I really going to have to guess?”
“Now, now Jongdae. I'm not that easy. You're going to have to guess. But don't worry! I'll give you hints!” Jonghyun got up from his spot on the floor and looked around the room for a couple of seconds. He picked up a few items and inspected them before putting them back down where they were. At first Jongdae thought he was doing this give him a clue about this person was, but when Jonghyun picked up the stapler and then one of his boots, he gave up trying to figure out what he was doing.
He shook his head, chuckling to himself at his roommates weird ways.
“Aha!” Jonghyun exclaimed, holding a poster in his hand. “I found it!”
Jongdae looked at Jonghyun, confusion written all over his face. “How is that supposed to help me?”
“Because! Look!” Jonghyun unraveled the poster, revealing a picture of Donald Duck.
“Seriously? Are you just messing with me?”
“No! He looks like Donald Duck!”
Jongdae stared at the poster for a long time, trying to think of someone who resembled the Disney character. “I feel so sorry for this person who looks like a duck.”
Looking down at the poster in his hands, Jonghyun his lips, cocking his head to the side. “Okay, so maybe he doesn't look exactly like Donald Duck.”
“Oh my god.”
“You know what? He doesn't look anything like Donald Duck.”
“Jonghyun!”
Jonghyun began to laugh hysterically, throwing his head back. “I'm so stupid. I'm sorry, for a second he did look like it.”
“Can you just tell me who it is then? I still have to do homework.”
“Fine, fine.” Jonghyun sat back down where he was before. “There's no fun in that, though.”

Jonghyun a piece of paper into Jongdae's hand. Opening it, Jongdae saw a phone number scribbled messily on it. “Who's is this?”
“You're going to have to call and find out!” Jonghyun said, a mischievous glint in his eyes.
“You really have to make a game out of everything, don't you?”
“Yep!” Jonghyun threw a phone into Jongdae's lap. “Now call.”
Looking down at the phone is his lap, Jongdae picked it up. He looked at the numbers written in blue ink one the paper, wondering if it would be worth it to call. Jonghyun could be playing a prank on him. People have played pranks on him before.
Deciding he could always lock Jonghyun out of the room if this was a prank, Jongdae typed the numbers into the phone and pressed call, holding the phone up to his ear.
He heard it ring before a familiar voice picked up.
“Hello?”
Jongdae's eyes widened and he looked at Jonghyun who was smiling widely. He began to nod his head, assuring Jongdae that this was real. He wasn't imagining things.
“Hello?” Minseok asked again.
“H-Hi. It's Jongdae.”
There was a small pause and Jongdae began to wonder if Minseok had hung up on him. “Jongdae! I was looking everywhere for you! Jonghyun gave you my number?”
“Ah, yea he gave it to me. I'm sorry that you spent so much time looking for me though.”
“It's okay! I needed to tell you something anyway.”
“Hm? What is it?”
“It's just that my friend's boyfriend is going to be having a party on Saturday, and I wanted to invite you to come with me!”
Jongdae's mouth dropped open. “W-what?”
“Oh, do you not want to? It's okay if you don't want to! I understand.”
“Wait, Minseok! I do want to go with you!”
“You do?”
“Of course I do!” Jongdae could hear Jonghyun laughing from wherever he was. “I mean...uh, it sounds like it would be fun.”
That's great! Like I said, it's this Saturday and it starts at nine. Should I pick you up at your dorm?”
“Y-Yea, that's okay.”
“What's your dorm number?”
“I'm in room 672.”
“Great! I'll see you then! Bye Jongdae!”
“Bye Minseok.”
Jongdae's heart felt like it was going to leap out of his chest. He was shaking from how excited and nervous he was and all he wanted to do was hug Jonghyun because if it weren't for him, none of this would have happened.
So he hugged Jonghyun.
And may have cried a few tears of happiness onto his shoulder.
But no one needs to know that.


***


He shouldn't have listened to Luhan. He just knew it. Nothing good ever happens when he listens to Luhan.

Minseok had picked up Jongdae at his room, speechless at the sight of Jongdae all dressed up with his hair styled. At first, Jongdae thought that he was staring because he looked bad, but when Minseok told him otherwise, he smiled, complimenting his outfit in return. He had butterflies in his stomach the entire walk to the party.
They didn't talk much while on their way there, but that was fine, because as long as Jongdae was next to him, he felt happy.
But that happiness didn't stay long because the second they stepped through the door way of the party, everything was ruined.
A girl that Minseok vaguely recognized as Sohee clung onto his arm, trying to get him to dance with her.
“Come on, oppa! You'll never find somebody if you keep hanging out with losers.” Sohee slurred.
Minseok looked at Jongdae and saw that same hurt look on his face and he desperately tried to get Sohee off of his arm. She wouldn't let go and Jongdae turned and ran away from him, losing himself in the crowd.
“Jongdae, wait!” Minseok called, but the music was too loud and Jongdae didn't hear him.
Sohee didn't let go until Luhan came along and ripped her away from Minseok, shoving her into some other drunk guy. “, Minseok. I'm sorry!”
“He probably hates me now.” Minseok said, his spirit crushed.
“Go look for him.” Luhan began pushing him in the direction that Jongdae ran off to. “Go!”
All of this had happened two hours ago and Minseok still hadn't found Jongdae. He felt like crying. The one chance he had with Jongdae was gone and he would probably never get another one.
He went into a room where not a lot of people were and sat in a chair, trying to get rid of his headache. People were leaning against the walls, making out and he suddenly felt very out of place.
“It to be the only single person in a room full of couples, huh?”
Minseok looked over and saw that someone had sat down in the chair next to him.
“It sure does. I did have someone, but he kind of ran away.”
The guy nodded his had and patted Minseok on the shoulder. “Sorry to hear that. Do you mind if I sit with you? I don't have anyone else to hang out with.”
“No it's fine. You can stay.”
“Thanks!”
The two sat there in awkward silence, trying to look anywhere but at each other and the couples kissing in front of them. It was pretty hard considering they were in a small room.
“My name is Jinki, by the way.” He turned to find Jinki holding a hand out, an expectant smile on his face. He took his hand and shook it.
“I'm Minseok.”
“What do you say we leave this place and go find us some drinks, huh?”
Minseok smiled. “Sounds great!”
Both of them stood up and squeezed past the couples, trying not to touch them. They found their way to the kitchen, finding a cooler and a keg with plastic cups next to it.
“What would you like?” Jinki asked.
“Just give me a beer.”
Jinki nodded and reached down into the cooler and grabbed two cans of beer and handed one to Minseok while keeping one for himself. Minseok opened and took a sip, mouth scrunching up at the taste.
“I take it you don't drink often?” Jinki said, amused expression on his face.
Blushing, Minseok shook his head. “Not really. I don't go out to parties much.”
“Why not?”
Sighing, Minseok took another sip from his can. “I just don't have the time. Too many classes.”
“So why did you come to this one?”
“Well, my best friend invited me. He told me to bring this guy that I liked and I thought it would be a good idea. It ended up being a disaster because I lost him as soon as we got here. I feel like such an .”
“Hey, don't feel bad. You can explain it to him later, right?”
“I guess. But that's not really the only reason that I wanted to come here.”
“Oh? What's the other one?”
Minseok took a seat on a stool, placing his drink on the table in front of him. “I needed a change.”
“A change? A change from what?” Jinki asked, inching closer and closer to Minseok.
“From everything! A lot of people think that my life is great but it's not. It's stressful and boring and I really hate it sometimes.” Minseok took another long drink from his beer, already feeling himself loosen up. “I mean, all I ever do is go to my classes and go back to my dorm and do my work. I guess it's my fault since I did this to myself, but I just wish it could've been different, you know?”
“We all feel that way sometimes.”
“But that's the thing. It's not just sometimes. It's all the time. I have nothing going for me. I don't even know what I want to do after I graduate. There is nothing exciting in my life at all. The only thing I like at all is my best friend and the guy I brought to the party but I'm pretty sure I just ruined my chances with him.”
Jinki was silent for a while. He leaned over Minseok and began to play with the edge of his beer. “What's his name?”
“Who's?”
“The guy that you brought here. What's his name?”
“Oh, his name is Kim Jongdae. Gosh, I like him so much. Even his name is perfect.”
Jinki leaned back, removing his hand from Minseok's beer. “Hm, Kim Jongdae. Interesting.”
“Huh?”
“Oh, nothing. It's nothing.” Jinki opened his beer and chugged it down in a few seconds, leaving Minseok to gape at him. “If I told you that I have a way to make your life exciting would you believe me?”
“What do you mean?”
“You're not the first person to say that their life isn't exciting. A lot of people feel that way! But I have a way that will make your life exciting. You want to try it?”
Minseok was feeling the effects of drinking his beer too fast. He had always been a light-weight. “Sure. I'll give it a try.”
“Okay. But you have to promise me one thing. Once you're in it, you can't back out. You wished for this, so you better accept the consequences, okay?” Minseok nods, not fully understanding what he's getting himself into. Jinki smiles. “Good. Now take a drink of your beer.”
“What?”
“Trust me. Just drink it. You did say you wanted an exciting life, right?”
Minseok looks at his beer, tentatively picking it up. He sniffs at it, trying to see if Jinki had messed with it in any way. When he can't sense anything wrong with it, he shrugs and takes three big gulps of it.
He was wrong.
Dropping the can onto the floor, Minseok grabs at his neck, feeling something burning it throat. “What did you do?!” Minseok says in a raspy voice. He tries to look around for Jinki but all he can see is orange lights swirling in front of him.
“I told you to trust me. This is going to change your life forever.” Jinki whispers directly into his ear.
Minseok tries to walk, feeling his way around the kitchen when he slips on his drink that had spilled everywhere. He feels a hand on his neck and a finger slowly making its way to the back. The finger presses hard into the back of his neck and the last thing he remembers before blacking out was Jinki saying “I'll see you in the dark room.”


***


Jongdae isn't sure how long he locked himself in the bathroom, sobbing while sitting on the sink. He doesn't really care. The longer he stays in there the longer he can avoid Minseok.
He knew it was too good to be true when Minseok had invited him to the party. When he saw that girl grinding on him, he knew that it was a joke on him after all. Jongdae left Minseok, knowing that he would be better off with someone better looking then him. He didn't bother looking back at everyone who was probably laughing at his misfortune. He made a mental note to suffocate Jonghyun in his sleep later.
Jongdae wipes away the tears that are still falling down his cheeks and grabs some toilet paper, dabbing at his eyes.
“I knew this would happen. I'm so stupid.”
Someone knocks on the door. “Is anyone in there?”
Panicking, Jongdae uses his sleeve to clean up his face. “Yea, I'll be right out!” Jongdae stood up and quickly checked his reflection in the mirror, sighing at how red and splotchy his face looked. He knew people would be able to tell he was crying. Jongdae just hoped the people out there were too drunk to notice anything.
Opening the door, he kept his head down trying to squeeze past the person waiting to use the bathroom. He was almost when he felt something tug at his shirt. He looked down and saw that a hand was grabbing the bottom of his flannel. Jongdae raised his head and saw a boy staring at him, worry on his face. “Are you okay?”
Jongdae nodded and tried to leave again but the hand wouldn't let go. “Please let go of me,” Jongdae said, voice barely above a whisper.
“I don't think that you're okay. Are you lying to me?”
“If I was, why would you care? You don't even know me.”
The boy pulled Jongdae into his arms, wrapping them tightly around his shoulders. “That doesn't mean I'm just going to let someone be sad by themselves.”
Jongdae had to bite his lip hard to keep in the sob threatening to spill out all over again. He clenched his hands by his side and let this stranger hold him. People walked past the pair, giving them strange looks but the boy didn't move for a long time.
After what seemed like forever, the boy moved away slowly, staring at Jongdae with a soft smile on his face. “Do you feel better?”
Jongdae was going to say no, but something inside told him that was a lie. The hug had made him feel better and he hadn't realized how much he needed that. So instead of denying it, he nodded his head. “Yea, I do feel better.”
The stranger smiled, squeezing Jongdae's shoulders. “That's good.”
The two stood there, not really knowing what to say. Jongdae was about to leave again when the stranger spoke up. “My name is Jinki.”
“Jinki? What a cool name.” Jongdae said.
“Thanks! What's yours?”
“I'm Kim Jongdae.”
Jinki grabbed Jongdae's hand and shook it fast. “It's great to meet you!”
Jongdae laughed nervously, taking his hand back from Jinki a little bit too fast. “It's nice to meet you, too.”
“So there's a bit of a line waiting to use the bathroom, so how be we go sit down somewhere?”
Jongdae looked behind him and saw a few people leaning against the wall by the bathroom, looking very annoyed. “Oh. Yea, sure. Let's go somewhere else.”
“Okay!” Jinki grabbed Jongdae's wrist and led him down the hallway. Maybe Jongdae should have been scared that this stranger was taking him away from people who could possibly be witnesses if anything were to happen to him, but he didn't care.
Jinki kicks open a door at the far end of the hallway and drags Jongdae in. When he's inside, Jongdae notices that they are in a bedroom.
“Stay here, I'm going to get us something to drink.”
“Okay.”
Jinki leaves Jongdae alone and he goes to sit on the bed.
Maybe this is exactly what he needed to get his mind off of the terrible things going on in his life. Some meaningless with some random guy at a party. Truth be told, Jongdae has never had with anyone. He was the mushy type who wanted to save it for someone special. But that's probably why Jongdae is so uptight and antisocial most of the time.
Jinki returns a few moments later, two cans of beer in his hands. “I didn't know what you liked, so I got this. Is that okay?”
“Yea, that's fine. I'll drink anything.”
“Oh, aren't you a daring one?”
Jongdae chuckled and took the offered drink from Jinki. He looked at it and was a little bit surprised to see that it was still closed. He didn't know what he had been expecting, but maybe it was that Jinki would have done something to his drink. Jinki sits down next to him and opens his can and takes a few sips. Jongdae does the same with his.
The second both of them have put their cans down, Jongdae launches himself into Jinki's lap, straddling the startled boy.
“W-What are you doing?” Jinki asks, eyes wide.
“Is this not what you wanted? You didn't think that by taking a vulnerable boy into a private room, you would be able to get a good out of it?” Jongdae said, being a little daring by rolling his hips a little.” Jinki had to hold back a moan.
“Jongdae, while I really appreciate the offer and if it were any other situation I would totally bang you hard, but I'm not that kind of guy. I really just wanted to talk to you.”
“O-Oh.” Jongdae said, suddenly really, really embarrassed.
Jinki must've sensed what he was feeling because he reached a hand up a placed it on Jongdae's cheek. “It's okay. It's okay. Don't feel bad.”
“I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me.”
“It's not your fault. You’ve had a rough night. I wanted to make you feel a little better and I probably should've thought this through before bringing you into an empty room.” Jinkin brushed the hair out of Jongdae's eyes. “You want to talk about it?”
Jongdae got off of Jinki's lap and settled himself higher up on the bed, crossing his legs. “I really shouldn't have come to this party.”
“Why do you say that?”
“It was all a mistake. Being here was a mistake. I was just being made a fool of.” Jongdae's voice cracked at the last sentence and Jinki was there in an instant, once again wrapping his arms around the fragile boy.
“What happened?”
Sniffing, Jongdae curled closer into Jinki. “I was invited here by this guy I like. I really, really like him. So much more than anyone I've ever had a crush on. I was so excited the entire week and even let my roommate pick out my outfit for today. But when we got here, some girl came up and attached herself onto him. He didn't really push her away and he seemed to be enjoying it, so I just left. I didn't want to be humiliated anymore than I was.”
Jinki began his hair while rubbing circles on his back as well. “What a jerk.”
“I should probably think that way too, huh? But I just can't. This guy is great. He brings happiness into my dull life.”
“What's his name?”
“It's Kim Minseok. He's perfect. You'll never see anyone else with a brighter smile.”
“But he hurt you just now!”
“I know. I know he did. But he is the reason I still go to my classes everyday. He is the reason I wake up and get out of bed. He is the reason I still try.”
Jinki looks down at Jongdae. “Why don't you do these things for yourself?”
“I used to. I used to get good grades and overachieve before I met him. But then again that wasn't really for me either. It was for my parents.” Jongdae leaned over and picked up his beer, taking huge gulps. Jinki took is from him and held it. “My life has always been the same. I've never been the one to stand out. I just wish that one day, something will happen that will make me want to live. Something that's worth it, you know?”
Jinki began to play with the top of Jongdae's beer. “I get you. It seems that you've always hard it pretty hard, huh?”
“Always. There was never a day where I wasn't working my off. And for what? To please someone else. Gosh, I need something new. I need something exciting.”
“Exciting?”
“Yea, exciting.”
Jinki handed the beer back to Jongdae. “Hey, can I ask you something?”
“Yea, go ahead.”
“What if I told you that I could change your life?”
“What?”
“I could change your life. For the better. I have my ways, Jongdae.”
“Really?”
“Yea, really!” Jinki leaned in a bit closer. “I promise you that it will!”
“I'll do it! I just need something. Anything new.” Jongdae pleaded.
Jinki smiles. “Okay, then. Drink your beer.”
“My beer?”
“Trust me! It'll give you the new life you've always wanted.”
Jongdae stared down at his can, scared at what was going to happen. “Are you sure?”
“I said trust me. Don't worry. I'll be right here. But I have to warn you. Once you enter this, you can't back out, okay?”
“I got it.” Jongdae decides to ignore all of the warning bells going off in his head. Lifting the can up to his lips, he chugged down the rest of his beer.
Big mistake.
He dropped the can onto the mattress, gasping for air. “What's going on!?”
“Don't worry. I'm right here.” Jinki said.
Jongdae opened his eyes and saw blue swirls in front of his eyes. He tried to breathe but it felt as if he was drowning and water was filling up his lungs. He tried to cough it out, but it wasn't working. Reaching out, Jongdae grasped Jinki's hand, trying to ask for help. Jinki squeezed his hand, trying to calm him down. He felt himself going limp and leaned against Jinki, trying to stay conscious.
Jinki leaned down and whispered into Jongdae's ear. “I'll see you in the dark room.”
And then he passed out.


***


They both wake up at the same time, sitting up with a gasp. It's too dark for them to see anything. They can only hear the breathing of the other person. Both of them stand up slowly, too scared to speak. A timer sits in the corner of the room, green numbers showing 168:00:00.
A week.
They both yelp as something around their neck tightens with a click. They reach up and find a metal collar wrapped around their necks. Tugging at it, they find that it's stuck. There is no way to take it off.
Minseok is the first one to speak. “H-Hello? Who's there?” he says, throat raw from last night's events.
The other person holds his breath, trying not to make a sound.
“I know you're in here. Please tell me who you are!” He tries moving, using the wall as support. Moving slowly, his footsteps echo in the silent room. “Please...”
“Do you know where we are?” The other person asks, voice small and shaking.
Minseok laughs, the sound empty and angry. “If I knew, I would've been out of here by now.”
“Oh, I'm sorry...I didn't-I'm sorry.”
“Whatever.” Minseok says, trying to see something in the pitch black room. He walks over to the timer, looking to see if there's anyway to turn it off. “What the hell is this thing for?”
“Do you know what the things around our necks are for?” The person asks.
“Look, dude. I don't know anymore than you do, so unless you're going to help me figure out what all this is, keep quiet and stay out of my way.”
The person didn't say anything anymore.
Minseok continues his search of the room but it's tough considering the only source of light is the soft green glow coming from the timer.
He doesn't really find much in the room besides the timer. He trips over the other person at one point and almost kicked him, but when he heard desperate apologies, Minseok decided against it. There was something about the voice that tugged at his heart. Minseok found a door as well, but it was locked.
“Isn't that just ing perfect?”
Sliding down the wall, Minseok put his head between his knees, tired and hungry and cold. Everything from last night a blur. The last thing he remembers is meeting Jinki, and then after that it's all black.
Suddenly, the room lights up. Minseok spots a screen on the wall.
“M-Minseok?”
Turning his head, Minseok's eyes widen when he spots a trembling Jongdae sitting in the far corner of the room. “Jongdae, what are you-?”
Minseok is cut off when the screen turns on revealing a blue screen with the words Welcome Minseok and Jongdae written in white.
Just as quick as it came on, the words go away and the screen turns black before coming back on. This time there is a chair with a white wall in the background.
“Minseok?”
Minseok looks at Jongdae again to see the boy close to tears. He scoots over to him and wraps his arm around him. “It's okay, Jongdae. I'll figure this out.”
“I-I'm scared.”
“I know. I'm scared, too.”
Looking at the screen, they see someone sit in the chair before turning around and revealing who he is. “It's him!” Jongdae screams, pointing at the screen.
“You met him, too?”
Jongdae nods. “At the party, yesterday.”
Jinki smiles, raising up a hand and waving at the two boys. “Hey guys! Remember me? ” He pauses for a moment before clearing his throat. “Okay, let's get on with the program. Hello, Minseok and Jongdae. It's nice to see that you are awake. My name is Lee Jinki. I'm here to help you.”
“You may not remember much, but yesterday, both of you came to me and told me your desires and what you want from your life. I, being the good person that I am, decided to fulfill your wish. To make your lives exciting.”
Jongdae and Minseok stayed quiet, holding onto each other tighter with every word Jinki said. “What is he talking about? What is he going to do?”
“As you can see, there is a timer in the corner for one week. In that one week, you need to make your way back to Seoul. Easy, right?”
“Wrong.”
“In that week, you guys are going have to go through obstacles and mazes that you never would have imagined you needed to go through. You guys are in a maze, glass walls blocking you from the outside world. Basically, you are in an arena. You can not find help. This is up to you to live. At the end of the maze, you will make it to an unmarked lot, and once you get there, the collars on your necks with come off. But only the other person can take them off. You can not take them off yourselves. If you try, the collars will tighten. Once that door opens, the timer goes off, and your week begins. If you do not make it to the end in that time, the collars will go off, piercing your necks.”
Jongdae had began to sob. “You can't do this to us! Why would you do this to us?!”
“Jongdae. Jongdae, calm down! We can't start freaking out now.”
“He wants to kill us!”
“There is just one catch to all of this. Only one of you may live. This week, you guys must decide who's better off dying.” Jinki sat back in his chair, folding his hands in his lap. “This is what you wanted. Both of you said the words. Now you just have to take the consequences.”
The screen went black and neither of them said anything. They say there in shock, trying to process everything that was said to them.
Only one of you may live
“I don't want to die, Minseok.” Jongdae whispers.
Minseok's eyes fill with tears, hating himself for getting both of them into that situation. He Jongdae's hair, holding the boy and trying not to cry himself.
“I don't either. I don't either.”