Extra File

The Iron Maiden
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The Iron Maiden: Profiling & Undisclosed Backstories

 

Titania (Astronomy, the name of the largest Moon of Uranus; eighth largest Moon in the Solar System) Aeon (also spelled eon, originally means "life" or "being", though it then tended to mean "age", "forever" or "for eternity") - Originally meant to mean ‘The Moon of a Life1’ or The Moon who shall live Forever.

 

Aka Princess Taeyeon is a pureblood born from two Nephilim royalties and the younger and only sister of Prince Jiwoong from the House of the Blue Serpent, the house known for their sagacious wisdom. She is first seen in the story as a curious fifteen year old princess who would rather break the rules to satisfy her own curiosity, a stubborn princess who deviates from the norm as seen in her refusal to use their given long names and would rather act as she intends to.

 

She inherited the ability to control water from her father. At first, she was depicted as someone who is unable to master her own element. However, as the story progresses, it was revealed that it was her own choice not to study combat magic because she does not want to hurt or harm anyone. She is a pacifist who dreams of living a simple and contented life rather than a sophisticated royal life wrapped in politics.

 

She is also known for having a sweet tooth; often sneaking out of her classes just to get sweet breads and a glass of milk.

 

She is easily loved because of her kind heart which in turn becomes her best quality. She is also showered with much love by her brother, Jiwoong. These, in the later part of the story, became additional weights to her spiral downfall.

 

In the middle of the story, Taeyeon was accidentally bitten by the Drakon which had left a deep wound in her neck. She was saved by Miyoung after the girl gave her own blood through a kiss. Taeyeon then experienced a change in herself which became her weakness and her strength, her craving for Miyoung’s blood. This somewhat parasitic relationship had deepened their connection from friends to sisters and finally, to being lovers.

 

This forbidden affair with Miyoung became a struggle against herself. She does not want to hurt her sibling so it made her mute of her real emotions towards Miyoung and had thus, rendered her torn inside—her brother or her lover? The silence led her to let Miyoung wed her brother, much to her agony.

 

Before her own marriage to another Nephilim, she decided to fight for her love. But time and circumstances had not been kind. She was too late. Her other half had already passed away.

 

With the inability to cope up with her lover’s wrongful and untimely death, she had lost her sanity and was implied to have gone on a mindless killing spree. She had become a kind, innocent girl who had awfully turned in to a monster because of love.

 

She was captured and sentenced to live the rest of her life inside a metal casket. But in the end, without Miyoung in front of her (as she had promised to not cry in front of her lover), all the pent up emotions inside her came rushing out. She wept inside the iron cage, opening the floodgates of heaven, and thus, causing The Great Flood2 that wiped the entire world clean. Thus, she fulfilled the prophesy of their ancestor. A being having the blood of all four Houses—Miyoung’s blood and hers in her body—had cleansed the world of its impurity and ended the Ancient’s misery.

 

In the epilogue, it was revealed that she, still inside the now named ‘Iron Maiden’, was hidden in the depths of the Arctic for millenniums. A certain Professor Seo had excavated her ‘frozen’ remains and had allowed the artifact to be displayed in a museum.

 

Princess Minea Youngkai aka Miyoung

She is the pureblood princess born from the union of the White Tiger and the Red Phoenix and was selected as the Lamb who shall give birth to a candidate who may fulfill their ancestor’s prophesy. She was depicted as a stoic character at the start of the story, often being too well-mannered and stiff.

 

She deemed herself weak and incompetent; thus, making her want to be a strong person so her father would approve of her. It was known that she craves for familial love as her mother left the world before she can know her and her father had thrown her farther away from his presence when she was still an infant, making her think she wasn’t really loved at all. She despises people as she had seen how they pulled strings to their own advantage. With Jessica as the only exception, she had shut her heart from other’s advances—only maintaining a civil act towards other beings.

 

At the first conception of the skeleton of this story, Miyoung was the epitome of the title—an iron maiden, a girl wanting to be as strong as metal. Noting that before iron becomes a strong hard matter, it undergoes a lot of processes under fire. It is the same as Miyoung’s life. From being someone weak and malleable, she became stronger and wiser when the story progressed as can be seen in the decisive decision she had made for her children. In the end, she stood up for what she really believed in and wanted to happen. But as the fibers of the story came in to sight, the title was given to Taeyeon instead.

 

She played the catalyst that changed Taeyeon throughout the story as Taeyeon, too, had been to hers.

 

Sealing her firstborn to a life of a mortal and letting both of her children live a life far away from the beings who had used her, Miyoung became the mother she never had—the mother she wished she had had. Thus, making her a character who had grown out of her weak role.

 

She was implied to have died by hanging as Taeyeon had found her in her own room in the Great Temple.

 

In the epilogue, millenniums after, she was reborn as a blind girl—visiting an unknown friend in a museum with cookies and yoghurt/milk.

Deleted character: Sunny

As time and some conditions did not permit the author to mold her, she was cut off the story. Sunny was supposed to be Miyoung’s older half-sister. She is the hidden daughter of Queen Ehlizabeth from an affair with a mortal before she married King Leonidas. Therefore, Sunny is not a pureblood Nephilim but only a Nephilim. Her role was supposed to be Jiwoong’s lover when he came to live in the House of the White Tiger. She was also intended to play as the culprit behind Miyoung’s hanging. But the original plan was not followed and she was not included in writing The Iron Maiden.

 

Jeshkaria Canaa aka Jessica

 

Jessica, as Taeyeon had nicknamed her, is a pureblood born from the union between the House of the Black Tortoise and the White Tiger. Therefore, making her the cousin of both Taeyeon (Black Tortoise: Taeyeon’s mother is Jessica’s Aunt) and Miyoung (White Tiger: Miyoung’s father is her Uncle). She is the first princess of her House and is said to be a genius in Alchemy and in elemental magic even at a very young age.

 

Jessica is not only wise but also a very cunning individual as can be seen in the way she handled Taeyeon’s changing issues. She is quick to make remedy and pacify people’s disbeliefs with just her words. Manipulating situations to her own advantage is her strength. But being too smart is also her flaw. Because she sees the bigger picture, she can overlook the things near her. (i.e. Yuri and Krystal)

 

She was supposed to be betrothed to a prince from the House of the Red Phoenix when she reached the age of nine.  But Jessica is a stubborn girl who will not be used—by her parents or anyone else. She devised a plan so that she can be dismissed from the House of the Black Tortoise before her parents can make her do their bidding. She sought the means to an end she wanted. Thinking that she will be freer in the House of the White Tiger, she left her House and went there instead.

 

In there, she met Minea who had reminded her of the little sister she had left in their House. A closely knitted relationship blossomed between the two and Jessica swore her allegiance to Minea’s cause. It can be seen in the fact that Jessica stayed in the House of the White Tiger even if her Uncle made use of her services. To Jessica’s inner thoughts, it was her choice to stay; she had given her consent. Therefore, her Uncle was not really in control of her actions. After all, it is in her own accord that she worked in the House of the White Tiger.

 

She followed Miyoung to the House of the Blue Serpent when she had to fulfill her role as the Lamb and was reunited with her other cousin, Taeyeon and her childhood friend, Yuri.

 

In the later part of the story, she helped Miyoung give birth to her firstborn, Apollo. She took the infant to Miyoung’s behest and had run away, promising Miyoung that she will return when she had found Apollo a place to be kept in. But she was unable to fulfill her promise as the Great Flood happened before she could return. (She did not know of Miyoung’s wrongful death.)

 

Apollo and Jessica survived the Great Flood

Please log in to read the full chapter