I

The Iron Maiden
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

I

 

She knew she shouldn’t have gone there. But her curiosity was killing her, so much so that when she had heard of the rumor that the dreadful Drakon was spotted flying near their camp, she quickly donned a black cloak to blend into the night. Armed with a sheathed dagger at hand, she had stealthily snuck out of their camp, with the sole purpose of having a closer glimpse of the fearsome creature.

 

Her lithe limbs ran into the nearby forest. She nimbly ran through the woods, dodging branches and leaves, moving with the wind, barely making any sound. As the forest got thicker, her movements slowed down. The depth of the forest to which she is currently in hyped up her senses. She was soon halted by the sound of cracking bones nearby. She swiftly hid behind a nearby tree as she glanced up at the serpentine she has come for. She had found the fiend busily feasting on a wild horse—or what looked like it was—in a meadow a few kilometers from their campsite.

 

The titanic serpent was bigger than any structure she had ever seen before. The tall hundred-aged trees seemed like tiny wooden poles compared to its built, even if it was already crouched to the ground. Its body was thoroughly covered by golden scales and its claws looked so sharp, the reflection from the moonlight is blinding. And its mustard-hued wings were as of a bat’s, though currently folded, it looked strong enough to lift the humongous creature off the ground and take flight in seconds.

 

She marveled at the Drakon’s form. It is as the rumors say—colossal and fearsome.

 

When the meal was consumed, it spread its wings—ready to take flight. And she, too, was ready to leave, satisfied that she had amused her ego. As she was to take a step back, the Drakon suddenly halted its launch. It sniffed through the night air—its nostrils flaring wide, as if searching for a certain scent.

 

It turned its head towards her direction.

 

And the next thing she knew, she was looking straight into a pair of large round blue eyes which were glowering over her. The circular pupils became slits and its bluish hue turned purple as it met her own hazel ones. She could have run but her feet seemed to have been planted on the ground. Amidst the danger, she didn’t know why, but she felt calm.

 

In all rationality, shouldn’t the Drakon be consuming her now? Breaking her bones into tiny little pieces? After all, nobody had come close to the Drakon and had lived to tell the tale. So why is she still alive? Why is she still breathing? Something is amiss and the questions flowed freely in her mind.

 

They stared at each other for what seemed like eons, sizing each other up, feeling each other’s stillness; when a sudden loud voice came from behind her.

 

“TAEYEON! RUN!”

 

Both the girl and the Drakon were startled by the unexpected shout. She backpedaled, but she had accidentally stepped on her long cloak and that had caused her to fall on her back instead. The young man, the owner of the voice, lunged forward, and with a silver sword he had tightly held with both hands, he grazed the Drakon’s mandible. The monster roared and hurriedly flapped its wings, creating a whirlwind as it hovered off the ground, and flew away.

 

The man ran towards the stupefied girl as swift as he can, knelt to her level, and pulled her into a tight embrace, his bloodied sword thrown to the ground. “Are you hurt?” He gripped her shoulders and slightly pushed her forward, inspecting any injuries she might have gotten.

 

The girl called Taeyeon shook her head. She blinked a few times—still dazed at what had just transpired.

 

“What have you been thinking? Going out alone?! Are you insane? That was the Drakon! It could have killed you! You could have died!” The man lashed out.

 

“But it didn’t… I didn’t.” A broad smile painted her face. “I didn’t! I didn’t!” Taeyeon’s eyes twinkled at the realization.

 

“But you could have! What would I tell mother and father if you did, you spoiled little brat! And you’re barely even fifteen! You’re too young to die!” He smacked his forehead in annoyance. “I knew it! I shouldn’t have allowed you to go with me in this hunting trip!”

 

“I just…I wanted to see the Drakon for myself, so I went on my own.” She yelled in defense, a pout forming on her lips. “I didn’t get killed and you even managed to stab it. So there’s no real harm, is there? And…and…” A cheeky smirk was now on her small face. “You’re so brave! You stabbed the Drakon! My brother is fearless!” She flailed her hand upwards, too delighted at her brother’s feat.

 

The man sighed. “Titania Aeon, I swear, you would be the death of me.”

 

She huffed. “Aw, and I swear, for an older brother, you sure are a worrywart, Jiwoong. Err, should I start calling you Prince Jivulus Wulfang instead? Since you’re too happy using our long names and all.” She pushed herself up and dusted the dirt off her cloak.

 

Jiwoong couldn’t hide the upward curving at the ends of his lips. Even in dire situations, Taeyeon is an expert in tugging his heartstrings. He couldn’t stay mad—no, he could never ever get mad—at Taeyeon. “Remind me again why I tolerate you, little princess?” He stood up and brushed the stray grass off his knees.

 

“Hmm. Because I’m your little sister. And you love me, dear brother. Hihihi.”

 

Their conversation was rendered to a pause when two men in thick pelt armors came, lighted torches and swords on their hands.

 

“Young Prince, young lady, were you hurt?” One of them ran to his side.

 

“We saw the Drakon flew in the sky a moment ago. What happened?” The other was now at Taeyeon’s side.

 

“Nothing. Nothing happened. Not a word of this to anyone, you hear me?” The prince commanded.

 

Jiwoong had always been protective of Taeyeon. He knew she was going to be in great trouble if their father finds out what she did. It was a known mandate that all purebloods, Nephilims who only marry their kind, should stay away from danger for they were the only ones capable of fulfilling the prophecy—whether they were the chosen Lamb or not. And what Taeyeon did was more than enough to make their father confine her somewhere where the lights won’t even graze her. It was a treason punishable by a hundred year’s imprisonment.

 

And Jiwoong would never let that happen. He couldn’t. Never. Taeyeon might have been younger by ten human years than him but he loves her more than anything. Probably, even more than himself that he can lie even to his own King.

 

“As you wish, Your Grace.” The men bowed and answered in unison.

 

“Leave us. My sister and I need to talk.” He ordered and the men left.

 

Taeyeon looked up to him. “Am I going to be in trouble?” Her eyelashes batted as she bit her lower lip, her hands at her back.

 

Jiwoong stood straight and this was one of those moments when her brother looked so regal that Taeyeon knew she had to behave well in his princely presence.

 

“You’ve always been a troublemaker, Taeyeon.” He laid a hand over her head. “And you know that I’ll always support you.” A gentle smile crept on his face. “Maybe not your antics, but you.  Always you, dear sister. I would never ever let anything or anyone hurt you. You know that, right?”

 

Taeyeon bobbed her head slowly—letting his words sink in her heart.

 

A sigh. “You know why I went to this hunting trip and why I allowed you to go with me, right?”

 

“Mm.” She glanced down, not able to meet his eyes. “For your combat practice. And…because you’re going away."

 

A deep exhalation came from Jiwoong. He lessened their distance and cupped her cheeks in his palms.

 

“Taeyeon, listen carefully.” His eyes completely on hers. “I am Prince Jivulus Wulfang, first born prince from the House of the Blue Serpent and the House of the Black Tortoise—a pureblood chosen to be the next Lamb. You know what that means, right?” He tilted his head, asking his sister’s understanding.

 

Taeyeon silently nodded to which Jiwoong smiled gratefully. She perfectly knew what he is. The sacrificial Lamb, his only brother, the chosen pureblood to carry the duty to father the next candidate that might fulfill the prophesy their ancestors had painstakingly labored to come into fruition. It was his mandated destiny. And because of that, it was a given that he had to leave his own House, his beloved sister, his little Taeyeon, to acquaint himself with his soon-to-be bride’s House.

 

“How long will you be gone?” The sadness was evident in her tone.

 

“She’s the same age as you or so, as I’ve heard. So, three years. Until she reaches eighteen human years and is able to carry our child.” He pulled her into another snug hug. “She’ll come to our palace in exchange of me going into hers. We haven’t met yet but I hope she’ll be nice to you.” A pause. “Will you be kind to her…for me?”

 

“Ung.” Her head bobbed as she gradually buries it into his chest.

 

“Promise?” He whispered in her ear.

 

“Promise.”

 

“Also, will you keep yourself safe? Maybe until after I get back?” Jiwoong smirked, knowing completely well that asking Taeyeon to withhold her antics would be a very difficult task.

 

“Uhm.”

 

“Taeyeon.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“If you keep the end of the bargain, I promise to grant you one wish when I come back. I’ll do it, whatever it is. You know me.”

 

“Even if I ask you to do the dance in public?” Her eyes glimmered. “?”

 

“Aahahahaha. Anything but that.” He gave a swift rub over her head, rustling her black hair. “You have my word, little sister. But you have to do what I ask first.”

 

Taeyeon met her brother’s loving gaze. “Then, uhm, be nice to sister-to-be, keep safe, and then, one wish when you get back.” She enumerated what she needed to do with her fingers. “Okay, done deal.” And she took his pinkie finger and interlaced it with hers, sealing the sibling contract they just made.

 

“Good. Now, let’s go back to the camp. We need some sleep. Tomorrow, we go back and then, I shall start my journey to the House of the White Tiger.”

 

And together they walked hand in hand towards a night of rest.

 

 

All Minea wanted was to rest her throbbing head on a soft cushion and sleep, maybe for an eternity if she can, but a night would suffice, for now. This is why, after she had given her courteous greetings to her parents-to-be, the King and Queen of the House of the Blue Serpent and their royal chancellors, she had scurried to her given chamber as fast as she could. Rest was at hand, but the hasty vociferous arrival of a petite black-haired girl woke her drowsy mind which temporarily forbade her to continue, making her settle and sit up to the side of her bed instead.

 

“Princess Titania, Princess Minea needs to rest. I’m sorry. You can’t—“. A female servant was cut off as she attempted to stop the visitor from entering.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll be quick. I just wanted to give her this.” She smiled broadly and showed the female attendant a tray in her hands, a plate of sweet breads and a glass of milk on it.

 

“I am awake.” Minea gently said as she stood up and slipped her feet on her leather sandals. A quick glance was given to the girl by the door.

 

The guest was clad in a floor-length dark blue cloth wrapped around her body with her ivory shoulders and slender arms to show, a long silver cord tied around her thin waist, and two turquoise serpent brooches on each of her shoulders to fasten the said linen to her body. A blue diamond metal band adorned her head as her long braided raven black hair dangled on the right of her shoulder, and a gold plated armlet bearing the crest of the Black Tortoise and Blue Serpent was on her left arm—signifying her status in society.

 

‘Royalty.’Minea thought. The soft edges of her red nightgown brushed the carpeted ground as she strode towards the girl.

 

“Hi.” The girl casually greeted Minea.

 

“To whom do I owe the honor of this visit?” Minea, in a stoic expression and straight back, asked gracefully.

 

“Oh, oh! I’m sorry. Where are my manners?” She hastily gave the tray to the attendant, stepped forward to face Minea and slightly bowed her head.

 

“I am Princess Titania Aeon, daughter of King Offa IX and Queen Esther of the House of the Blue Serpent and younger sister of your soon-to-be husband, Jiwoo—errr…Prince Jivulus. But you can call me Taeyeon since you’ll be my sister too, so we don’t really need to be so formal towards each other, right?” Taeyeon leaned forward, a hand on the side of to say her next words in a whisper. “And…I’m not exactly fond of my long name, too long to say. So, Taeyeon is good. Ahahaha.” She straightened up and rubbed the back of her head as she chuckled heartily.

 

“Princess Minea Youngkai from the House of the White Tiger and the Red Phoenix.” She replied. “It’s an honor to finally meet you, princess.” She courteously bowed.

 

“Oh, Miyoung then?”

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

“Miyoung. Your name. Minea Youngkai is such a long name. Pretty. But long.” Taeyeon smiled at her. “I’ll call you Miyoung then! Hihihihi. Here, have these. Sweet breads and milk as your midnight snack.” She took the tray from the servant girl and handed it to Miyoung. A plate of sweet bread and a glass of warm milk (which she secretly took from the royal kitchen after succeeding in her catch-me-if-you-can game against her Magi tutor). “I’ll go now. Have a good rest, Miyoung. See you tomorrow.” And with a slight bow and wave of her hand, she left the room.

 

Miyoung watched her leave, not uttering a response. When the cheerful princess was gone, she then placed the tray on a table—looking at the food she knew she wouldn’t eat.

 

‘Titania Aeon. I guess, I need more walls to protect me.’ And she rested her tired body in her new prison.

 

///

 

“I swear she’s just like her!” Taeyeon energetically stormed in her cousin’s room that night—plopping her body on the other’s bed and hugging the sleeping girl’s back.

 

Yuri or Princess Yulhi-sierra Riso is Taeyeon’s cousin, the daughter of her father’s younger sister, a pureblood from the Serpent’s marriage to the Phoenix, and also, her closest confidante in the entire kingdom. After the fading of her parents when she was three years old, Yuri decided to stay under the roof of her Uncle, King Offa IX. And since then, she and Taeyeon had been the best of friends. They shared common interests (especially with their childish pranks) and as they were born on the same lunar year, it was easier for them to get along with each other. The both of them were educated together and had lived with each other ever since her stay in the House of the Blue Serpent.

 

Yuri woke up with the familiar hands wrapped around her waist. She knew that Taeyeon usually comes to her room when she’s bothered. So Yuri faced her cousin and rubbed her sleepy eyes to ready herself of what Taeyeon’s case is for the night.

 

“Who is ‘she’ and who is ‘her’?” Yuri covered as a loud yawn escaped it.

 

“Jiwoong’s soon-to-be bride. She’s like Jessica.”

 

Yuri raised an eyebrow. “Princess Minea Youngkai?”

 

“Yeah. And I call her Miyoung. Minea Youngkai is too tiresome to say.” Taeyeon side-faced her cousin, her head propped on her left hand.

 

“You do know that she’s my cousin too, right? Her mother is the younger sister of my father who is a prince in the House of the Red Phoenix. I’ve only met her once though.”

 

“Yeah. But she’s nothing like you. I thought she’d be like you. I mean, since you shared the same House and all. But you’re friendly. And she’s…uhm. She’s like Jessica.”

 

“What about Jessica?” Another yawn was stifled with her hand. “She’s your cousin, too. From the House of the Black Tortoise, right?”

 

Taeyeon briefly nodded as an epiphany hit her. “Hmmm. So that’s why.” She laid her head on the pillow and stared at the ceiling, her hands on her chest. “That explained a lot.”

 

“Taeyeon, I swear if you don’t get to the point, I will hide all your sweet breads for a week. You woke me up in the middle of the night and then, talk in riddles.” Yuri’s eyes were squinted as she threw deathly glares towards the smaller girl.

 

“Not my sweet breads!” Taeyeon glared back. “Hmm. Okay, okay.” She gave a quick side-glance at Yuri. “I think, I pre-judged her. I clustered her with you because you’re from the same House. But I forgot that she also came from the White Tiger’s, her father’s kingdom. And Jessica came from the White Tiger’s too. They’re both…uhm…too polite…and icy.”

 

“And incredibly pretty. Talented, too.” Yuri smirked, earning a playful hit on her shoulder. “And what about it?”

 

“Well, I’ve just realized, people are complicated beings. I’m starting to feel sorry because of my prejudice.”

 

“Of course, we are. It wouldn’t be fun if we aren’t.” Yuri shifted and stared at the ceiling as well. “You sometimes think that you can label people with their given category. Family. Ability. Status. You can name all classifications you want. But the truth is, it’s not enough to actually understand the depth of a person’s heart. You can’t expect to know someone just because they’re in the same mold as you. Just look at us.”

 

Taeyeon smirked—knowing what Yuri was trying to say. It was true that the both of them are quite the odd ones in their Household. Many had said that even though Taeyeon is a royalty, she acts more carefree than the other members of the royal family.

 

“More versatile than a Tortoise, more graceful than a Phoenix, wiser than a Serpent; but also, stealthier than a Tiger.” Taeyeon closed her eyes. “Yet we are only children of two Houses.”

 

“Yes. Many expect us to conform to the category our Houses gave. But nothing can really bind us to the being that we become except for ourselves. Not blood. Not our lineage. Our family and circumstances may create the avenues on how we grow, on how we change. They will tell us to be who they want us to be. But…it is always our choice. How we respond determines what kind of person we develop to be. It’s a process…called life.”

 

“Just like iron tempered in fire.” Taeyeon grinned. ‘Some become knives for cooking; some, swords for killing; and some, blades for saving lives. We become what we choose to be. And it was wrong of me to think Miyoung would accept me with open arms just because she’s from the same House as Yuri’s or because she’s my brother’s soon-to-be wife. I guess I have to earn the friendsh

Please log in to read the full chapter