#35

Bubbletea and Tears
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A girl set down gingerly on a faded bench as she carefully removed the lid off a pale blue box. It was empty apart from a small notebook that she knew belonged to her deceased father. He always had a habit of jotting down his daily experiences without fail in that little paperback every single day. She slowly flipped through the ink-filled pages as she nervously scanned through the sentences written in it. Bewilderment slowly dawned on the girl's face while she wondered why had her mother left her this. What was the point in reading all of her father's words about the things that happened in his life now that he was already dead? 

A gasp suddenly escaped from Su Min as something caught her eye. Leaning closer, she attentively allowed her eyes to follow every single letter and vowel in the small paragraph which was dated 28th December 1994; 7 months before she had been born.

 

 

 

" 28/12/94 : The light went out of my life today.

My precious son; my smart, considerate, kind, funny child. The child I would never have the chance to look at again. I would never forget the look in my wife's eyes when our beloved son died under the wheels of a huge truck while all we could do was to yell and cry. The only thing that we could be thankful for was that it had been a quick and painless death. They pronounced him dead immediately. We're back home now and the once lively and noisy house has fallen completely silent. As though an angel of death took away our happiness and replaced it with sorrow and grief. Looking at my wife now, I can't help but feel anger rising in me. It hadn't been her fault, she didn't see that lorry approaching her. If my beloved son hadn't pushed his mother out of the way, she would have been killed instead. 

My beloved son's last words that he choked out before breathing his last haunted me. " Mum's pregnant, it's better for me to die then for her and my unborn sister to die instead. " 

Yes, my wife was pregnant with a baby girl. We have been anticipating the arrival of a little girl but now, everything's changed. I still love my wife but I don't know if I can love the baby in her with purity anymore. If the baby hadn't existed, we wouldn't have went to the gynecologist. If we didn't, my wife wouldn't have almost been hit by a truck. If that didn't occur, my precious son wouldn't have to sacrifice his life to save her. 

If my wife wasn't pregnant with the little girl, my son would still be by my side now. "

 

 

 

Everything made sense. All the harsh words and the cold attitude her parents had given her finally made sense. She must have re-read the chapter nearly 10 times but the words still pierced through her every single time she read it. Su Min blinked furiously in a futile attempt to stop the threatening tears from falling but there was nothing she could do; the tears were already streaming uncontrollably down her flushed cheeks. It didn't even matter that she was in a public environment with passer-bys giving her weird stares. After all, who wouldn't break down knowing the harsh truth in this manner?

" I had an elder brother. " The girl whispered to herself in a broken voice as she took a shaky deep breath to stop herself from trembling. 

Kai.

In this situation, all Su Min wanted was for Kai to be here. He would definitely not be able to make things right but at least his hug would relief some of the hurt and guilt. The girl quickly fished out her cell phone with shaky hands while anxiously keying in his contact. She needed him desperately.

 

" Hello? "

" K-kai? "

" Su Min, I can't talk now so I'll call you later okay? "

" But Kai I really- "

" I already said I'm busy. I'm hanging up now. "

 

Su Min dropped her head down in shame as she cried harder. Was everything really her fault?

 

-

 

Kai groaned quietly in exhaustion as he leaned heavily against the hard plastic bench outside Kahee's ward. He and Luhan had both spent a whole hour trying to calm down the girl who had finally fallen into a fitful sleep.

" I appreciate everything that you did today. " Luhan murmured sincerely as he quietly sat down one seat away from the man. 

" It wasn't for you, it was for Kahee. "

" I know that. " 

Both men lapsed into complete silence as nurses and doctors occasionally passed by the white corridor. The two had once been the best of friends but right now, they were merely acquaintances with bitter feelings. Luhan's brows knitted together as he stared intensely at his fingers which were clasped together.

" Jongin, didn't Su Min call you while we were trying to pacify Kahee just now? "

Kai's head snapped up as he faced the man beside him with an unreadable expression. 

" I just... I was worried that something had happened to her. Have you called her back yet? If you don't mind me asking. "

At the man's words, Kai halted while frowning slightly. Come to think of it, Su Min had sounded a little more different then she normal did. He urgently took out his cell phone while Luhan shot him a glance. 

Kai let out a slight hiss in frustration when all of his three calls remained unanswered. 

" Has something happened? " Luhan questioned with worry in his voice. " Is she not picking up your call? "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter