Chapter 5

Lovehate

 

 

People love as they hate, ironically.

 

*

 

 

This is awkward.

 

Youngjin looks at his watch and the two men sitting at the table located at the far end corner in the café, subsequently. He exhales a heavy breath.

 

It has been one hour since he left the table for them to sort things out. One hour and both of them just stare into space, avoiding each other gazes. Not even a single word out from their mouth.

 

Youngjin shakes his head.

 

Aiguu, these big-headed-egomaniac people.

 

 

**

 

Changhyun plays with the tip of his fingernail that has become his center of attention since an hour ago. Thumb drawing incoherent circles on his nails as he takes a peek to the taller male in front of him, whose stare could burn hole on his phone’s screen.

 

If he doesn’t want to start the conversation, so do i.

 

Changhyun chewed his bottom lips, refraining himself getting any further. The silence somehow bring an unidentified comfort to him. He gasped at his own thought. Scratch that. There is no way a Yoo Changhyun would get comfort sitting one table with the man he loathes with all his might.

 

At that, he instinctively rolls his eyes up and makes a mental note to check with Chae Jin, his psychologist friend, should his brain not in good condition.

 

Jonghyun’s eyes lingers at the pale fingers of Changhyun. Urm, no ring. Jonghyun knew that the male in front of him strongly opposed the marriage arrangement, but he also doesn’t say that he want to cancel the wedding. Just yet.

 

Jonghyun chuckled to himself. Yeah, just yet.

 

This arrangement seem like adding more fuel to fire of Changhyun’s hatred towards him. He scared, to say frankly. What if all these will only do harm to their already bad relationship. What if Changhyun will only hate him even more? What if he kill him in his sleep?

 

He possibly will.

 

Jonghyun grins at his own absurd thought.

 

Jonghyun was beyond shocked, when his parent consulted him about the marriage and even astounded when he learnt to whom he will be marry off. The fact that he was scared quite understandable in his case.  

 

Changhyun was his past and he afraid, he unable to foresee any future for them both. Changhyun, is too unpredictable. There was once, they were close enough to improve their enemy bond to something more intimate – more personal. But guess who messed it up badly? He – himself.

 

It took him almost a month to give his finality and agreed to the arrangement. After discussed and talk a few things over with Youngjin and also some so-called ‘background’ research with Niel. The later was most tiring because it was Niel who ended up undergone deep investigation about Changhyun and him. In which he relieved when Niel brushed aside some important details he tried hard not to give away.

 

Something that cut deep and Niel probably goes ballistic if he know. Because, Niel is version 2.0 of Changhyun when it comes to anger management. A small smile creeps on his face slowly as his brain flashed a brief memory of angry Changhun and Niel.

 

He was seriously a level headed himself to seek troubles with them – with Changhyun especially. Jonghyun can’t help, but chuckles to himself.

 

The metal fork continuously stabbing the untouched pie in the ceramic plate without any intention to bring the imperfectly shaped pie to his mouth. Changhyun scoffed as his eyes darted to the taller male across the table.

 

What a crazy man, smiling like an idiot.

 

Changhyun rolled his eyes. He was getting impatient stuck with a jerk who-found-whatever-in-his-phone-more-interesting in a meeting that arranged by their parents for them to getting to know each other. Oh, please. Changhyun rather stuck in room full with death body than here.

 

He was calculating to just get away from the café and say nothing when a waiter come to their table. Changhyun’s body jerks when the waiter repeat his question with a tight smile on his lips.

 

“Come again? Sorry.”

 

“Would you like to order anything?”

 

“Potassium cyanide for me.” Changhyun said as he side-eyeing the eye-sore sight that is Jonghyun.

 

“The same.” The taller said without even lift his eyes from his phone.

 

What a jerk. If not because of mom and dad, I will never come meet him. What a waste of time.

 

Changhyun nose instinctively scrunched, eyebrows arched in the middle as he feels heat of anger consumes him slowly. He was about to snap at Jonghyun when the waiter cut him off.

 

“Err..sir, the drink you ordered currently not in our menu.”

 

“What did I order?”

 

“Potasium cyanide? I have checked with kitchen and we don’t have that in our menu. Yet.” Changyun can feel the irritation in the waiter voice when he emphasized on the word yet.

 

Changhyun eyes widened slowly at the realization of the ‘thing’ he ordered.

 

“Err, just give me coffee then.”

 

“Make it two.” Jonghyun supply. When the waiter walked away from their table, he gives Changhyun his best smirk.

 

“Potassium cyanide, really? You really want us to get kill before the wedding huh?” with chin on the back of his palm, he add “Could just say you want to cancel it. Save us both, Egghead.”

 

Changhyun scowled. Every single nerves in his hands tingling to perform a powerful hand slap move on that smirking face. “I don’t even want to accept it. Not even a bit.”

 

The glorious smirk on Jonghyun’s face slowly fade away replace by an unreadable expression. Something guilty and disappointment. As if. Changhyun could care less.

 

“You can talk to your parent to cancel it off.” Jonghyun’s voice monotone. A defeat tone that make Changhyun’s glorious grin appeared in his white complexion.

 

“That obviously make me the bad guy here.” Changhyun deadpan, with hint of annoyance.

 

“It is that what you want.” Jonghyun’s ice cold eyes now staring right into his.

 

“You want it too.” It sound more like a statement. They both now staring into each other eyes like it was a staring contest. One with remorse, and one with hatred.

 

“No. I don’t.” Jonghyun’s voice thick with confidence. It make Changhyun feel something tug at his heart.

He close his eyes. Break away the stares from the ice cold orb.

 

That evening, Changhyun make a phone call to set an appointment with Chae Jin. And Dr. Young Min, the cardiologist.

 

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

It doesn’t take much for Changhyun to come to a hasty decision to call off the wedding. One single dreadful memory of a haunting incident was enough for him to make up his mind. Despite the weird feeling in his heart – in which he totally ignored, he want to cancel the arrangement.

 

Call him spiteful, call him petty. He doesn’t even care. All he knows, he want nothing to do with a jerk called Choi Jonghyun. He can’t stand sit one table with him, let alone to spend his life with the said jerk.

 

NO. Never. Nada.

 

He spent two nights just to construct a perfect sentences to confront his parent about his decision to call off the wedding arrangement. Nothing will come in between his perfect plan, he’s sure of it. His parent quite strict but they will understand. He knows them. Through and through.

 

With a strong determination, Changhyun reached for his phone on his work table. Fingers ran on the flat screen, searching for Mom in contact book. He was thinking of give tell his mother through call and if anything goes wrong – he will have time to come with a good reason before talk over with them at home.

 

He just about to press the call button when a familiar caller ID appear on his screen. Youngjin hyung?

 

Within a second, his bony finger slide the green button and wait for the response from the end line. He can hear a heavy breathing and a distant sound of woman crying. Wait, ain't that mom?

 

“Changja..” Youngjin’s voice sound hoarse and croaking at the end. His brother is crying.

 

He takes a deep breath before his brother next words struck him hard.

 

“Dad..he was..- can you come to the hospital now?!”

 

 

 

 

***

**

*

 

A/N : hey guys, guess who didn’t feel guilty leaving you guys with cliffhanger? ----- yes, me :)

 

So here a cliché update, I really hope you guys enjoy it.

 

No long a/n, just – feel free to comment and subscribe.