Chapter 3

Lovehate

“Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.” 

 

*

 

Changhyun paced around, fingers grazing down the rectangle metal name board on the mahogany table. His eyes shines brightly at the words etched on the metal board.

 

DR YOO CHANGHYUN – PEDIATRICIAN

 

He doesn’t mind even if after this his mouth going to hurt from smiling to wide. If someone walking on him at this time, they will think that Changhyun is doing some toothpaste ads.

 

To be a doctor has always been his dream, however a pediatrician is way beyond that. To put it simply, Yoo Changhyun love kids and everything newborn and cute. So being able to work with infants, children, and adolescents regarding a wide variety of health issues, ranging from the common cold to severe conditions is such heaven for him.

 

People around him would never think he have it in him, the loving character, because he’s quite an introvert or more likely to be a reserved person when encounter new people. But he adapt to society in fast manner and make people around him comfortable.

 

Except for certain people, that one and only certain people.

 

Changhyun shivered at the thought. His long fingers make their way to his coat pocket to grab hold of his phone and start dialing a particular number. It didn’t take long before the call connected.

 

“Good Afternoon, Dr. Ahn Daniel.” Am amused laugh can be heard from the other line.

 

“It’s a rare case for Dr. Yoo to call me. Knock your head on something, doc? If so, you have been calling the wrong person because last time I checked, I am still a cardiologist.” Niel laughed.

 

Changhyun rolled his eyes as he make his way out of his office.

 

“Its lunch time. And the last time I checked you’re not the kind of passionate doctor who willing to skip his lunch for work.” Changhyun grins before continue “Let’s go, I will wait you at parking lot.”

 

“Your treat?” He can heard the smirk tinted on that question.

 

“What else. It’s not like you going to treat me anyway.”

 

“Hey, I am saving up for my wedding. I am the person who can treat you to fine dining restaurant every day, you know.”

 

“Yeah right, say the big mouth with thick lips.” He countered with sarcasm that never leave his mouth.

 

“Saying a sentences with thick lips in it is an insult. I am going to ask my lawyer husband to sue you and..”

 

“Shut up and where are you? I am at the parking already.” Changhyun cut off Niel before the latter spouting nonsenses. Changhyun shaking his head with a lopsided smile on his face.

 

“Aishh I am coming. Really, this impatient blockhead.”

 

His eyes turned into crescent imagining his best friend sprint his way to the parking lot.

 

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

The airport is busy, as usual, never closing on any day due to the number of people who come in and out of South Korea, as a foreign tourist, an overseas worker, or a domestic flyer. The sound of people chattering, machines beeping, wheels of luggage and trolleys rolling on marble, and the speakers heralding off announcements mainly compromises all the noise that make up the said airport.

 

Incheon International Airport is more like a hotel—it's a mall that looks like a hotel—it's an airport that can pass off as a mall, and looks like a hotel.

 

There's even a museum if one were interested in those stuff. Kids were running around, being told off by their mothers and bargained to keep quiet in exchange for food from the stalls that surrounded the airport. Couples of different ages strolled around the airport, taking a lot of pictures whenever they see something that catches their eye.

 

As their title suggests, no wonder they are called the best airport in the world—and it is the best airport in the world.

 

In the middle of all the hectic activities in that huge airport, there is one man, who, in all of his pride, was strutting along the walkway with his head held high, dragging his navy blue luggage bag behind him.

 

With his free hand, he carefully fix his brown, swept back hair so that it could stay in place. Head nods a little when someone passed by and greeted him. The usual frown plastered on his face, the one that can make people winces at the sight. And that ice-cold eyes that make people never last even 1 second eyes contact with him.

 

Maybe, except for one person.

 

 

“Hey, Captain Jonghyun!”

 

The man struts his way to the source of the voice- a tall lanky man who waving him with a smile, back leaned against the black BMW at the pick-up area. Black sunglasses hovers perfectly above his nose and a cap with word “OBEY” topping the model like figure.

 

“Hey Minsoo hyung.” Jonghyun released the grip on his luggage handle before give the lanky man a warm brother hug. “Thanks for coming. I got problem with my car, and sorry for being a burden.”

 

“Drop it you brat. Anytime.” Minsoo grinned sheepishly as he playfully punched the said captain’s shoulder.

 

Dragging down his sunglasses, with a Cheshire grin Minsoo ask again. “So, how long you on leave this time, captain?”

 

“3 months.” Jonghyun smile as he moving his luggage to the back seat, too lazy to open the compartment on the back of the car.

 

“Quite long.” The elder remarked on that.

 

Jonghyun shrug, “Got a few important matters to settle.”

 

“That’s good. You can be the best man for my wedding.” Jonghyun laughs heartily when the elder patted his back before went his way to driver seat.Minsoo give him a look before continue,

“Unless you want to get married before me.” Harmonious laughs of the two men reverberating in the small space. Aside the laughter, the tall pilot choked inside at the statement.

 

“Maybe.”

 

The word hung on Jonghyun’s thought as he brought his gaze to outside of the car, eyes savoring the familiar surroundings and sceneries that he misses every time when he flying out of Korea.

 

A knowing smile never falter from his mouth.

 

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

Changhyun stares at the gold card in his hand, it has been minutes or nearly an hour long his eyes fixed at the invitation card. Eyes unblinking and considering.

 

Niel said it’s going to be fun. The fun of going to a high school reunion; seeing the people you were close to all those years ago, it is ten years for him since he didn’t attend the first reunion 5 years ago. He doesn’t have problem to come, but he just simply don’t want to come. That was the reason he always convinced himself with.

 

In which, partly true.

 

Changhyun remembered another line from Niel, about re-exploring the relationship of the past.

 

This is it. The other part of the reason why he doesn’t want to come and, will try his best not to come. No matter what.

 

Past relationship.

 

It was not like he had an intimate relationship with anyone in high school; but he subconsciously did. It was a hatred relationship, to put it into words. The sickening feeling he felt every time he thought about it make his heart clenched and felt like it was going to burst.

 

He shuddered at the remembrance, nose scrunched with grimace. Thinking about that terrible moments in which included a certain someone, who he loathes to death, is totally dreadful.

 

Impulsively, he tossed the invitation card into the dustbin next to his bed. Goodbye reunion.

 

Changhyun breathe an uncertain sigh, as he patted his cheeks softly. Trying to get the previous thought out of his mind. He’s about to plant the duvet over himself and go to dreamland – where he will forget about all bad memories- when a soft knock echoed, coming from his door.

 

His brother’s head peeking from outside, before Changhyun even mutter a ‘come in’. A stupid grin plastered on Youngjin not-so-guilty face.

 

“You’re going to sleep?”

 

Changhyun rolled his eyes. “I’m cooking, can’t you see?”

 

The elder ignores his sarcasm and the bed bounce when he sit himself at the edge of the mattress on Changhyun’s bed. The bounces make Changhyun sneers at his twin brother.

“Hey, I need to talk- no-ask you something.”

 

“Shoot.” Changhyun changes his posture, and rest his back on the headboard.

 

“Are you dating someone at this moment?” It takes a few seconds of silence before Changhyun burst into a hysteric laughter.

 

“That’s funny, but try again.”

 

“…”

 

Changhyun furrows his brows. “Still not funny,hyung.”

 

The younger give a look at Youngjin, but the elder keep the same expression as before, eyes questioning.

 

“Are you serious, hyung?” Changhyun asked again, this time laugh faltered.

 

“Yeah, why’d you think im not? And you never talk about it, so why not ask..right?” Youngjin smile, sheepishly.

 

“Haish this hyung. Ya know im busy right? Developing my career and all.” Changhyun lie his back on the bed, planting the duvet back on his body.

 

“So now, move your fat out from my room. Did mom gave birth to you a few minutes before me just to keep disturbing my sleep..” Changhyun mumbling with scowl on his sleepy face and, one leg lightly kicking Youngjin’s .

 

“Developing career my , you just busy running away from reality, Changja ya..” Youngjin said, but more to himself than to be hear by Changhyun.

 

“What..?”

 

“Nothing..nothing. Good night, Changhyun ah.”

 

The elder smile when he heard ‘at last’ and ‘goodnight too’ coming from Changhyun mouth. Youngjin peek at the sleepy male when he reach the doorknob, considering something in his head.

 

“Hey, what do you think of arranged marriage?” Youngjin asked and seconds later a pillow flew from Changhyun and hit him hard on the face. Instinctively, he disappear himself behind the door and close it shut. A loud ‘HYUNG!!’ can be heard booming inside Changhyun’s room.

 

A smirk form at the corner of his mouth.

 

 

 

 

**

 

AN: Okay, ive decided to continue this fic and complete it. I hope you guys will stay until the end.

for those who doesn’t know or might confused..changja is ricky’s nickname calling by his family in real life.

Do enjoys :)

 

Feel free to comment and subcribe :DD