Chapter 23

The Fortune-Teller Said That You're My Future Husband

 

Baekhyun looked at the sleeping figure beside him. He patiently swept the sweat running down from Chanyeol’s forehead to his left cheek. He was glad that the giant finally came back to sleep after his endless nagging that he wanted to spent the day with Baekhyun rather than sleep his fever away. But of course, Baekhyun wouldn’t let him. As much as he wanted to talk, play, and kiss him for the rest of the day, he knew that at least Chanyeol needed to get better first.

The sound of Chanyeol’s rough breath filled the room, and Baekhyun could only flinch every time Chanyeol looked like had a hard time when he took a breath.

The silent in the room made Baekhyun’s mind wandered to the moment when Chanyeol confessed his love to him.

“I love you”

Baekhyun’s heart felt like turned upside down. Chanyeol’s voice left the tingly feeling inside his stomach. Chanyeol’s deep yet soft stare made him shivers. But most of all, the words that Chanyeol said to him melted him into jelly, and Baekhyun slightly grateful that he was in a sitting position or else he must be down on his knees right now because he couldn’t handle the feelings.

“Why?” Baekhyun succeeded to utter a word.

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Well, that wasn’t the response he was looking for, “why what?”

“Why do you love me?”

Baekhyun could feel the confuse eyes on Chanyeol turned back to the gentle eyes of his, and Chanyeol’s lips formed a simple smile he gave him before. “There are some things in the world which don’t need any reason. And that, my love for you is one of them. I love you; don’t ask me why, Byun Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun regretted that he couldn’t say anything in return of Chanyeol’s confession. No, it wasn’t that Baekhyun didn’t love Chanyeol back. It wasn’t that he wasn’t sure of his own feeling toward his boyfriend. Because, if anything, loving Chanyeol was one thing that Baekhyun was sure in his existence.

He thought this wasn’t the right time for him to say it to Chanyeol.

The sound of Chanyeol’s cough and his body stirred facing him got Baekhyun out from his daydream. He moved closer to Chanyeol to rub his back to lessen the cough.

Baekhyun sighed seeing that despite of the fact Chanyeol already took medicine and had slept for more than an hour, his fever didn’t seem to get any better.

In despair, Baekhyun leaned his body toward Chanyeol and placed his lips on Chanyeol’s, hoping that it could at least decrease the giant’s pain.

You knew you loved someone when they got sick and you just wanted to ease the pain, shared half of it with you.

“I love you, too. Get Better,” Baekhyun whispered.

 

~

 

“A nut who forgets its shell,” Kris scoffed as he shoved the bimbap to his mouth.

“I know, right?” Jongin chuckled. “When Baekhyun hyung was away, we were the one who beat our off to cheer him up.”

“Now that Baekhyun oppa is back, Chanyeol oppa don’t leave his side even just for a second,” Namjoo pouted.

“Leave them alone, wouldn’t you guys? They didn’t get to see each other for fifteen days,” Kyungsoo interfere.

Those four persons landed their eyes to the couple who sat not too far away from them. The tall one seemed saying something funny because the small one was laughing gleefully. Then the small one playfully fed the tall one, and the latter refused at first, but after the small one hit him, the tall one ate the food. The small one smiled and quickly pecked the tall one’s cheeks.

People could practically see bright light radiating from them. And maybe some virtual flowers and balloons.

It was the first day Baekhyun came back to school after the leadership camp. And Chanyeol weirdly got better in just one day, making the both of them could do their usual routine. Except, now Chanyeol were being glueyer to his boyfriend than ever. Not that Baekhyun mind actually.

“Eat your meal, Yeol, seriously. Do you want to get sick again or what?”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes exaggeratedly, “Baek, which part you don’t understand that I got sick because I missed you. Now that you’re beside me, I—“

“Okay, stop, stop. I don’t need your cheesy line, I just need you to finish your meal. For God’s sake,” Baekhyun shook his head in astonishment of Chanyeol’s endless cheesy lines.

Chanyeol snickered and decided to stop playing jokes on his boyfriend. Only Baekhyun could put up with his jokes and weird type of flirting. “Tell me, why aren’t we married yet?” Chanyeol asked frankly.

Baekhyun chocked on his own spit, surprised by Chanyeol’s bluntness, but he quickly regained his composure. Baekhyun cleared his throat before he blurted out his another snarky comment, “What are you talking about? Of course we aren’t married. We’re still in high school.”

Chanyeol giggled as he watched Baekhyun nervously looking anywhere but Chanyeol’s eyes. “Right,” Chanyeol put in two pieces of bimbap into his mouth. “We need to at least graduate high school,” he said while his mouth still full.

“Close your mouth, Yeol, ew,” Baekhyun shook his head. “And no, we’re not going to get married after we graduate high school. At least, we should graduate college first.”

Chanyeol grinned despite his cheeks were puffed because of the bimbap he ate, but who wouldn’t be? Your boyfriend indirectly said that he wanted to marry you; if you weren’t happy, then you were weird. Although Chanyeol knew that Baekhyun wasn’t aware of what he was saying, it was something that Chanyeol would always hold on to.

Chanyeol watched his boyfriend cutely continued eating his ramen. This kind of Baekhyun, the one who chewing on his food, was one of Chanyeol’s favorite Baekhyun.

Or any kind of Baekhyun. He wanted it today, tomorrow, and the rest of his life.

 

~

 

Baekhyun diligently scribbled some words and numbers on his textbook. He was making a note for his upcoming math test. The midterm test finally came, and it meant nightmare for Baekhyun. Not to mention he was missing the classes for the whole two weeks when the midterm was near. So now, he should take extra effort if he didn’t want to fail on his test.

Baekhyun was smart. He was the student’s council president, after all. This was his last year on high school. He couldn’t afford to fail or have low scores. He needed to enter a good music college, so he needed good grades.

Which it led us to Baekhyun wrote note for his math test for the upcoming week. He was very weak at it so he put most of his attention to that subject.

And apparently, when Baekhyun said he wanted to focus on math subject, it didn’t only mean that he will abandon other subjects, but also other aspects, including his dating life.

In other word, Chanyeol.

“Yeollie, stop it. I’m trying to study here.”

“You’re heartless, you know Baek. You’re ignoring me for the whole ten minutes,” Chanyeol whined.

Baekhyun sighed and got back to his notes. He was in his own classroom. It was lunch break and since Baekhyun didn’t come to the cafeteria, Chanyeol came to him instead.

They were always together for the past three days since the comeback of Baekhyun. It was true that Chanyeol never left his side, except when they had to get back to class or part at the bus stop.

Baekhyun thought the timing just wasn’t right. They still in the state of missing each other after their two weeks parted, but whether they like it or not, the test was coming, and they can’t risk that.

Or let’s rephrase it. Baekhyun can’t risk that.

Because Chanyeol seemed didn’t care about the test at all. He kept saying that he studied at home, but Baekhyun doubted it.

Baekhyun had asked him numerous of time to study together with him, but he refused, so Baekhyun left it alone and let Chanyeol took care of his academic life himself.

But the thing was, Chanyeol never stopped bothering him. Like right now.

“Why don’t you just go to cafeteria and play with others if you don’t want me to ignoring you,” Baekhyun said without even looked up from his notes.

“It’s because I want to be with you, silly.”

“Then, shut up. Or I’ll seriously kick your out of my class.”

Chanyeol pursed lips, making his dimple visible. Sometimes Baekhyun could be really harsh to him, but Chanyeol knew that he didn’t really mean it.

He realized that he was too clingy to Baekhyun recently, and he was more than glad that Baekhyun was okay with it, even enjoying it. But since the test was coming near, he gradually ignored Chanyeol. Well, not every time, only when Baekhyun had to study.

Chanyeol actually adored Baekhyun’s determination. Just like the school festival, if Baekhyun was focused on something, nobody could fight his will.

Too bad that Chanyeol wasn’t too fond of studying like his boyfriend. He wasn’t the brightest kids in the class. He didn’t even have a favorite subject from the start. To him, it didn’t matter what he learned at school since he wouldn’t use any of those knowledge, except maybe for English and Japanese, because he was going to become a singer in the future.

“Even if you want to be a singer, you do realize that you at least need to graduate school first, right? And for that, you need to study, Yeol.”

Baekhyun once told him that. His boyfriend was right, Chanyeol needed to admit. But he could study later, now he just wanted to be with Baekhyun.

“Yeol?”

Chanyeol’s ears perked up and he proceeded his mind to focus on Baekhyun whom now was eyeing him intently. Chanyeol hummed in response.

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol’s eyes, then put his pen down, “do you remember the promise we made when we just started our relationship?”

Chanyeol blinked, “which promise? I think we made many promises. Like we promised to marry each other...”

“I never promised you that.”

“...Right. But seriously though, which promise?” Chanyeol leaned his body forward closer to Baekhyun.

The latter sighed, “I knew it you won’t remember.”

Chanyeol’s eyebrows knit and he took Baekhyun’s hand, “what promise, Baek? Is it important?”

“Of course it’s important. It’s our future. We promise to enter the same college, remember?”

Then the deep conversation shared between them after their first ice-cream date came down to him slowly. Chanyeol’s eyes as well as his mouth wide opened, “I remembered it. Who says I wasn’t?”

Baekhyun scoffed, “You remembered because I just told you.”

“No, no, Baek, seriously I remembered. I just didn’t know that you were referring to that promise. I mean, we did have a lot of promises, right?”

“Yeah, but,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “Anyway, never mind about that. Are you still in for it or not?”

“Of-of course I am. What do you mean?”

“I don’t know,” Baekhyun shrugged. “Because I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately. I really want to go to the same college with you, but you seem...I thought maybe you forgot.”

Chanyeol bit his lower lips nervously. Of course he didn’t forget about that. It was his dream college because it had the best music department in the whole Seoul. And the fact that Baekhyun also wanted to enter that college made him sure even more to enter that college, “I didn’t forget, Baek. I’m going to that Chung-Ang University no matter what.”

Baekhyun gave him a look, “but you know that this university is one of the big five at Seoul, right? It will be really difficult for us to get in. There will be so many competitors.”

Chanyeol nodded, “I know that.”

“You need to study, Yeol,” Baekhyun’s face turned into a serious one. “The midterm test’s grades will determine the school’s judgment if we could apply for that university or not.”

Chanyeol would be really happy right now because this was a very rare moment where Baekhyun actually put so much thought about him, his future; their future. But Chanyeol couldn’t help to gulp nervously because this was studying that they were talking about, and he didn’t really sure about that since he always put study on his last list.

But the way Baekhyun looked at him was really full with hope toward him, and suddenly Chanyeol didn’t want to disappoint him.

“Okay, I will.”

In a second, Baekhyun’s face turned bright and he patted Chanyeol’s head lightly, “good. From now on, we could study together.”

Chanyeol smiled awkwardly, not really knowing what to do. He just hoped that he wouldn’t betray himself.

 

 

 

 


A/N:

I'm sorry for the late update omg three weeks not updating and I'm giving you guys such an uneventful chapter.

anyway, serious/sensitive issue I'm going to make in the next chapter