Chapter 1

The Fortune-Teller Said That You're My Future Husband

Chanyeol was awaken by the sunlight which creeped to his room through the curtain. The birds were chirping, making beautiful songs which everyone loved to hear in the morning. The smell of the dew on the leaves made this morning more and more fresh. Everything was like a brand new start. New day. New life. New experiences.

Except for Chanyeol.

To him, this morning would be like the usual morning. Today would be like any other days have passed. Same view. Same people. Same room. Same games. Same TV shows. To sum up, Chanyeol’s life was boring.

Except it wasn’t. Soon.

He haven’t had any urges to make or to do something new in his life. No, he wasn’t that person who felt the need to live the fullest in each days. He spent his life ordinarily. As ordinary as the life of a high schooler could be.

Don’t get him wrong. He wasn’t a nerd. In fact, he was a pretty popular senior year student in Yeolshin High School because of his handsome face and his skills on rapping and playing guitar. Not to mention his bubbly character which everyone loved. But he admitted it himself, his life was boring and flat.

He was bored. Everyday he spent his time studying at school, chatting with friends during lunch breaks, sometimes playing guitar in between, as soon as he got home, he would just play games or watch his favorite TV shows. Actually, now was Chanyeol’s summer break, but his life was as still like a rock.

He wanted something significant to happen to his life. Like, maybe some talent agency would come to him and suddenly ask him to sign a contract. Or maybe winning a one million won lottre.... Or might be as simple as falling in love.

It was far from what Chanyeol had expected to happen when he heard his door slammed open by no other than his best friend, Kim ing Jongin. “Wake up, you sleepyhead!” Jongin jumped onto Chanyeol’s bed harshly, making the older of the two groan.

“Yah, what the hell are you doing? Get out of my room! It’s still 8 in the morning, you moron.” Chanyeol shoved Jongin out of his bed, making the younger boy stumble to stand up straight.

Jongin put both of his hands on his waist, eyeing his best friend slash hyung with a judging look, “It’s weekend. Not to mention, this the last day of the holiday,” Jongin said.

“That’s the actual reason why I’m gonna spend the rest of the day, or maybe the rest of my life in my bed before I’m back to hell tomorrow. I would love to be married with my bed so shoo, leave me alone. I'm on my honeymoon.” Chanyeol was still lying on his bed, he even snuggled to it as if to emphasize his point of 'having his honeymoon', he didn’t even bother to sit up just because he had a guest.

“You texted me last night that you were bored. Come with me today, hyung! I’ll make your life colorful.”

“I didn’t need your help to make my life colorful. What’s with the sudden invitation anyway?”

Jongin shrugged, “I just wanted to hang out with my best buddy. What’s wrong with that?”

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes. Jongin was being suspicious. “Kyungsoo just ditched you, didn’t he?”

Jongin’s face immediately turned gloomy and he sat on the edge of Chanyeol’s bed, “How did you know hyuuung?” he whined. “He promised to go with me today, but Kyungie ditched me the last minute because his sister got sick.”

“Eerrggh, don’t call Kyungsoo 'Kyungie' in front of me. It’s gross!”

Jongin grinned, “It’s my nickname for him.”

“Gross.” Chanyeol made a face.

“You don't understand because you don’t have a boyfriend.”

Chanyeol chuckled lightly, “I don’t need a boyfriend.” He wanted to slap himself because the words came out weak.

“Say it to my . You think I didn’t see your envy look whenever Kyungsoo and I were together?”

“I beg your pardon, Mr.Kim. Those were disgusted looks, not envy. Besides, you’re ruining my precious morning time, go home!” Chanyeol covered his head with his blanket. But Jongin was nothing but eager right now.

The younger pulled Chanyeol’s blanket and threw it away, “I won’t leave this room until you come with me.”

Chanyeol groaned, “Who are you to order me around? Friendly reminder here, I’m the hyung.”

“Whatever. Take a bath and get dressed. I’ll be waiting at the kitchen. Yura noona’s making me breakfast.” Jongin started to walk out of the room.

“The last time I checked, Yura is my noona.”

“It’s not a secret that she loves me more than you, hyung.” Jongin put his mocking grin on his face.

Chanyeol threw his big pillow to Jongin and it hit him, but the younger still had the grin on him, “Get out now. I don’t want you to see me .”

Jongin's eyes widen in disbelief, “Oh, so you’re coming?” He jumped like a kid up and down.

“Get out before I change my mind.”

“Okay, Okay. I love you, hyung.”

“I hate you.”

As soon as Jongin closed the door, Chanyeol sighed heavily and got out from his comfortable bed. Was he that easy to convince? Chanyeol didn’t care. It wasn’t that he wanted to go with Jongin. He just knew that his best friend wouldn’t let him slip away from his grip. He would never win an argument with Jongin anyway, so he gave up.

Well, Jongin had a point. This was the last day of holiday anyway. It won’t hurt to go with Jongin. He didn’t have anything to do either today. So Chanyeol grabbed the towel in the rack and he headed to the bathroom. Just as he entered the shower, he realized, he didn’t know where Jongin would take him.

 

~

 

“You brought me to school festival?!”

“Yes! I’m brilliant, right? This isn’t something that happens everyday, hyung.” Jongin spread his arms in the open air, presenting the school which was already crowded with people outside and inside.

Chanyeol and Jongin were now in the middle of the crowd of Sokcho high school festival. Chanyeol turned his head to Jongin who was currently jumping in excitement. “What the hell, Jongin. You know I hate school festivals. And this is Sokcho High School which is our rival school!”

Sokcho high school was the rival of Chanyeol’s school basketball club. No, Chanyeol wasn’t a basketball player. He was far from being athletic. He was just a hardcore supporter because his other best friend, Kris, was in the team.

“Oh come on, hyung. I never understood why you hate school festivals. I mean look at the endless foods and attractions here.”

“I don’t care. I’m going home,” Chanyeol turned around but Jongin succeeded to catch him.

“Wait, hyung. We're already here. Why don’t we just enjoy the festival and eat until our stomach explodes,” Jongin looked at Chanyeol with hopeful eyes.

“I don’t know how Kyungsoo could stand you.”


“I don’t know either, Hyung. That’s why he’s the only one,” Jongin grinned.

“Gross.”

“Let’s get in, I’ll pay for you.”

“Seriously? All of it?”

“No, just deokbokki.”

“I want pizza. Or I’m not coming with you,” Chanyeol whined.

“Fine. And tell me once again who’s older here.” Jongin pulled Chanyeol along with him to enter the school gates.

Chanyeol just shrugged and mentally berated himself, why was he so easy. Pizza? Really Chanyeol?

 

~

Chanyeol and Jongin walked into almost every classes and tents in the festival. Actually, it wasn’t as bad as Chanyeol had imagined. It was fun hanging out with Jongin. He never got tired and kept pulling Chanyeol around excitedly. The festival was also not that bad. He could say that the school and students had spent much money for this. He admitted that his own school festival was still below Sokcho’s standard.

When it finally reached the mid noon, both of them felt a little bit tired from walking from one stands to another. They’ve eaten many foods, drank many juices and ice, and tried many games.

Jongin’s eyes darted to one particular tent which they haven’t come into before. It was placed at the corner but it was filled with people who queued. Jongin immediately smiled and once again pulled Chanyeol to follow him to that stand.

“Hyung, it’s fortune-telling! I wanted to try.” Jongin yelled.

When they arrived in front of the all-black stand, Chanyeol could see the words written in the board, See Your Future by Scrying. Chanyeol narrowed his eyes. He once heard the word scrying from his noona. Scrying was the practice of looking into a crystall ball with the belief that the future could be seen. Chanyeol snorted, “do you seriously want to try this?”

Jongin nodded as he pulled Chanyeol closer so he can join the younger on the line, “yes, and you need to try this, too.”

“No way, I’m not a teenage girl like you.” Chanyeol crossed his hands in front of his chest.

“Whatever,” Jongin shrugged. “But you need to accompany me here, I don’t want to queue alone.”

Chanyeol just sighed and nodded half-heartedly. They waited for almost twenty minutes for Jongin’s turn. Jongin took a seat in front of the fortune-teller and Chanyeol just stood beside him.

Chanyeol watched the fortune-teller in front of him. She was old, over 60s, Chanyeol thought, and her fashion was kinda weird, maybe because she was a fortune-teller. On the table, there was huge beautiful crystal ball. This was the first time Chanyeol saw a real crystal ball. Chanyeol guessed this fortune-teller was real, judging from her appearance and crystal ball. Not that Chanyeol believed her by the way. He still didn’t believe or never believe this kind of thing. He didn’t even believe on zodiac. Those were all bull, Chanyeol thought.

As soon as Chanyeol said those words in his mind, the old woman immediately turned to him and glared at him. Chanyeol was taken aback for awhile. Could she read his mind? No, it was stupid, Chanyeol thought once again. The fortune-teller just smirked and turned her attention back to Jongin.

“So,” she started, “who’s this handsome boy in front of me?” she asked Jongin. Her face was scary, but her voice was somehow friendly.

Jongin smiled widely and placed his hands on the table, “I’m Jongin, Kim Jongin, 17 years old.”

She nodded, “I see. What do you want to know, dear Jongin?”

“I can ask anything?”

She nodded once again, “everything except the question about death.”

“No, I’m not going to ask you that.” Jongin shook his head.

She smiled, “I know.” She muttered, it was almost a whisper but Chanyeol still heard it.

“Okay, uhm...I wanted to know my future job,” he said. Chanyeol snorted, he can’t believe that his best friend was really doing this.

Chanyeol didn't notice it, but the old woman eyed him, then she looked at her crystal ball again. Both Chanyeol and Jongin also looked at the ball. Their eyes widen when the crystal ball was suddenly filled with fog, or cloud, Chanyeol guessed. The fortune-teller’s hand was above it, she hovered her hand around the ball. Soon, the cloud shifted and it became blank.

Silence filled in for awhile before the old woman spoke, “you’ll be a dancer, my dear,” she said.

Jongin’s jaw dropped, “re—really?” she nodded. “I will be a dancer? W-when?”

“As soon as you graduate from high school.”

“Holy ! That’s cool!” Jongin yelled and clasped his hand together.

Chanyeol took a step closer to the table, and before he can’t stop himself, he said, “wait, how did you know?” Chanyeol asked the fortune-teller, a confused frown on his handsome face.

The fortune-teller looked up at Chanyeol and smiled, “my crystal ball told me.”

“What? But there was nothing on it but fog, or cloud, or whatever it was,” Chanyeol replied.

“I’m the only who can see through my crystal ball.”

Chanyeol remained silent for awhile, “and you expect us to believe you just like that?”

“I believe it,” Jongin said.

Chanyeol looked at Jongin with a look of disbelief, “you believe it?”

“Why shouldn’t I?”

“But...” Chanyeol looked at the crystal ball, “this is stupid, Jongin.”

The fortune-teller laughed, getting Chanyeol's attention to her. “Why don’t you just sit here and try it by yourself. I’ll tell you your future.”

Jongin quickly stood up and pushed Chanyeol to sit on the chair. “Come on, hyung. Try it once.”

Chanyeol held himself hesitantly, “no, I don’t want to.”

“Come on, young man. There’s no one who's lining up at my stand again. I have the whole time in the world for you.” She pointed at the chair, “take a seat.”

Chanyeol didn’t know why but after the old woman said it, he immediately sat down without any hesitation, it's as if an invisible hand pushed him to sit on it.

The fortune-teller smiled and moved closer to the table, “if you didn’t believe me, what about this, your name is Park Chanyeol.” Chanyeol’s eyes widen. “You’re 18 years old, one year older than your friend here.” Chanyeol’s mouth gaped. “You could play guitar really well.” Chanyeol was at loss for words.

“How...”

“Don’t ask me how, my dear,” the old woman rested her back on the chair, “I just know.”

Chanyeol was beyond speechless. He could feel that Jongin wasn't less shocked either. He was sure that both he and Jongin never mentioned any of those earlier. How did the fortune-teller knew?

“Now should we see you future?” the old woman asked. She put her hands above the crystal ball again. “Do you have anything particular to ask?” Chanyeol could only shake his head. She smiled and looked to her crystal ball, “okay, let’s see what my crystal ball has for you, dear.”

The crystal ball was once again was filled with fog. Chanyeol could only stare at it wordlessly. A part of him wanted to know, but another part of him just wanted to run away. But his was glued to the chair.

It seems like it took longer for the fortune-teller to ‘examine’ his crystal ball than before. But after a minute, gaped open and chuckled, “oh well, this is really interesting.” She looked at Chanyeol now with a wide smile on her face.

Chanyeol gulped nervously, “what?”

The old lady pursed her lips so she can stop smiling and began speaking, “do you want to know? I saw something really interesting here.” She smiled again and she turned her gaze to the outside of her tent. Her eyes were like looking for something, or someone. After a moment, her smile was wider than before, then she looked at Chanyeol again. “This is something really wonderful for you to know, my dear. And I need to tell you now, before he’s gone.”

Chanyeol’s eyebrows knitted in confusion, “gone...w-what-who’s gone?” he asked. This was somehow making him nervous and confused. What did the fortune-seller see?

“What is it? What is it?” Jongin asked, can’t hold his patience any longer.

The fortune-teller gave Chanyeol a knowing look, she was waiting for Chanyeol to agree to reveal or let her say what she just saw. Chanyeol didn’t know if he would regret this decision or not, but didn’t he say that he didn’t believe any of this earlier, so he nodded slightly. Not because he would believe it, he just...he just wanted to know. That’s all.

The old woman smiled. She moved closer to Chanyeol and placed her hand on his shoulders. “My dear Chanyeol, I was looking to my crystal ball earlier, waiting for it to give me something. And it did give me something really...really wonderful.” She stopped for awhile. Chanyeol nodded for her to continue. She took a deep breath and said these five words which changed Chanyeol’s life forever. “....I saw your future husband.” Chanyeol’s jaw dropped to the floor. The old woman continued, “...and your future husband is here, in the festival. He’s actually just across my stand. There!” the fortune teller raised her hand and pointed at something in front of her, behind Chanyeol.

“Oh my God, where?!” Jongin screamed.

Chanyeol felt his world crumble.

“He’s at the tattoo place in front of us,” the lady said.

“There are many boys there, which one?” Jongin asked again. Chanyeol was still silent,he couldn't move his body.

“The one who's wearing a dark blue t-shirt.”

Chanyeol's stomach flipped at the first description about his future husband. Wait? What? Did he just say ‘future husband’? Does this mean he believed it?

“Holy mother, Chanyeol!?” Jongin shouted and closed his mouth in amazement. “Hyung! Turn around! You need to see him! He’s ing handsome!”

Chanyeol's heart was beating really fast. His palm and forehead were sweating. And it was hard to breath right now.

“Dear, do you want to see your future husband?” the lady asked sweetly. “He's just 10 meters away from you.”

“Hyung?!” Jongin yelled and shook Chanyeol’s shoulder.

Chanyeol gulped and took a deep breath one last time before he moved his body. He turned around and shifted in his seat. He could see that there were many people out there. And he could see the tattoo stand in front of him. Without him noticing, he was searching for a boy who wore a dark blue t-shirt. And...there he was. Chanyeol saw him. His future husband.

Chanyeol's jaw was on hell, “.”

 

 


 

A/N:

word vomit for the first chapter. and too lazy to proofread.