Life, Rewritten

Life, Rewritten

WARNING: EXTREMELY EXTREMELY EXTREEEMLY LOOOOONG CHAPTER AHEAD

 

"WHAT? NO ING WAY."

"Don't shout in my ear dude." Sehun winced, shaking his head at his best friend. "I'm just relaying what I heard from my parents. I'm just a messenger boy here."

"No ing way." Kai repeated, his hands curled up into fists as he took large breaths to calm himself. It definitely wasn't working because the more he thought about what Sehun told him, the more agitated he got.

They couldn't do that to her. She couldn't do that to him. NO.

What was he supposed to do now?

Sehun sighed softly as he saw how depressed his hyung was becoming after the initial waves of shock subsided. He entered Kai's life rather late, only knowing the dance machine for the recent two years, but two years was enough to know that Kim Jong In was in love with Lee Minhee. More than anything.

He thought it was cute that the cold Kai hyung he knew could actually learn to love someone, but later he pondered whether it was the circumstances surrounding this love that turned Kai cold instead.

From what Sehun knew, Kai was in love with Minhee since....forever.

Kai's father and Minhee's father were best friends since high school. The two adventurous friends decided to set up a company together shortly after graduation from university and to their ultimate pleasure, their business turned into a massive success within several years.

They swore to be best friends forever and that they would watch their children grow old together and even be grandparents together. Both men got married and had a beautiful child each. Their wives even got pregnant in the same year and their children, Kai and Minhee, were childhood playmates since the day they were born.

Minhee had always been important to Kai and he would do anything for her, anything to make her happy. When he was just a child, Kai would always hold Minhee's hand and boast proudly to his parents that he was going to marry Minhee in the future. Their parents would laugh merrily and give them their blessings, though they secretly hoped it would come true if their children could fall in love.

Minhee would also acknowledge that there was no other person she wanted to marry other than her Kai oppa.

It was a sweet childhood love.

It wasn't until a few years later when both Kai and Minhee turned eight that something happened to ruin the relationship between both families. There were some decisions within the company Mr Kim made that Mr Lee wasn't agreeable with. The disagreement turned into a cold war, and it slowly turned into a fight that could never be solved.

A company could never have two CEOs after all, and the company soon split. The relationship between the two families were ruined beyond help and the ex-best friends were now enemies that couldn't wait to see the other fail miserably.

Despite what happened between their fathers, Kai still loved Minhee and he missed her tremendously when those meetings between their families dwindled down to none. Because of his father, he had to act like he hated the Lee family as well when all he wanted was for them to return back to normal.

In a business conference when he was nine, Kai met Minhee for the first time after their families fell out. He was overcome by his feelings when he first set his sight on her and all he wanted to do was drag her into his arms again. Even at nine, he was more than sure that Minhee was the girl he wanted to marry.

However, forced by her father, Minhee refrained eye contact with him and positively ignored him throughout the night. In order to get her attention, Kai did the only thing he knew how to at the age of nine.

He poured orange juice down her head.

That fired more hatred between the two families and Minhee grew to dislike her Kai oppa as well, slowly believing what her father said about the Kim family. There was nothing Kai could do to get her back as he watched her getting more and more distant from himself as the hatred grew.

And all this time, he was still in love with her.

Sehun sighed and shook his head while massaging his temples. It was one ed up love story and it didn't help that Kai wasn't very good at expressing his feelings. His parents had no idea their heir was in hopelessly in love with the daughter of their enemy and was suffering everytime he had to act like he didn't care about her.

If this wasn't suffering enough that the girl he loved hated him, Mr Lee decided to arrange a marriage for Minhee with the heir from the Lee Business's new partner, Park Chanyeol.

Seeing the girl he loved getting engaged with another guy and not being able to do anything about it....that had to . Big time.

"Hyung.." Sehun whispered, when Kai finally calmed down and stared out of the window with a blank expression. He couldn't tell what Kai was thinking at that moment, but he could probably guess it wasn't something positive.

"I'm fine." Kai's voice was deep like he had to squeeze it out of his throat. "Leave me alone for a moment, Sehun."

"Hyung-"

"I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!" Kai burst out, his voice resonating throughout the room.

Sehun flinched and bowed his head. He nodded and made his way out quietly, closing the door. A few seconds later, he could hear vases shattering on the floor and things being thrown around.

Sehun sighed and hung his head down. "I wish I could help you, hyung."

 

 

 

 

 

The only hope which Kai hung onto seemed to die away as well.

He had hoped that Minhee would dislike her soon-to-be fiancee tremendously and object to the wedding, and Mr Lee would thus call off the engagement. However, Minhee seemed to be more than comfortable with the said man and they seemed to be on very good terms, much to Kai's dismay.

He would always see Minhee laughing and giggling when Chanyeol was around, and the guy just had the ability to make her smile and laugh. Kai wished it was him.

Even if Minhee didn't have any romantic feelings towards Chanyeol, it sure seemed as if she liked his company.

Kai hated Chanyeol so much. Chanyeol was taller, he had bigger eyes, he had a nice deep voice and an easy laugh, he had the ability to make just anyone laugh and elders could be seen laughing merrily to his jokes at any particular event. Chanyeol had Minhee. Chanyeol was everything Kai was not.

As Kai watched the two walk into the ballroom looking like the best couple of the year, he had to turn away while swallowing hard and gulping down his drink. His fingers gripped the stem of his glass tightly and he took a deep breath.

"Look at the daughter of the Lee," Mr Kim muttered to his son, unaware of the feelings passing through the latter. "Flirting with Park Chanyeol so carelessly in public. I never knew the Parks had such bad tastes." he grumbled. "Jong In ah, make sure that when you choose a girlfriend in the future, you would find someone unlike Lee Minhee okay?"

Kai didn't answer, he couldn't bring himself to. He just looked away from his father and directed his gaze to the dancefloor.

His eyes met Minhee's unintentionally and they widened. Minhee looked at him for a few seconds with an unreadable expression before giving him a look and turning away with what could be described mildly as utter contempt.

Kai lowered his gaze and sighed heavily. The ball could not drag on any longer.

 

 

 

 

 

Of course they were invited.

The Lees wanted to flaunt to the Kims of the successful partnership they managed to bridge with one of the biggest enterprises in the whole of South Korea, the Parks. It wasn't a surprise that the Kims were invited to the engagement party of Lee Minhee and Park Chanyeol.

Kai already downed three shots five minutes into the party and Sehun had to stop his hyung from drinking the fourth one. "You don't want to be drunk even before Minhee noona arrives, hyung." he hissed.

Kai smirked bitterly. "That's just what I want to do, Sehun. You think I want to watch her walk in in what I expect is a beautiful gown that would make her the most beautiful woman on earth, only to walk towards another guy to exchange engagement rings? No ing way."

"Hyung." Sehun sighed, shaking his head. He knew that he would never understand the full extent of Kai's misery because he wasn't living the heartbreak, but he wanted to help his hyung so bad.

"Sehun." Kai whispered, staring blankly at the ground. "I'm hurting so bad right now."

Sehun put a hand to his hyung's shoulder and squeezed it gently. "I know hyung, I know."

 

 

 

 

"I bet the girl ran away because she didn't want to marry Park Chanyeol!" Mr Kim smirked gleefully. "What a joke!"

Kai nodded half-heartedly while glancing at his watch again. It had been two hours since the engagement party was supposed to start and the bride-to-be was still nowhere to be seen. The Lees and Parks were not trying to conceal their worry at this point and Park Chanyeol could be seen making phone calls one after another.

There were murmurs about in the crowd as they tried to imagine what was happening. Mr Kim hoped that Minhee actually ran away since it would be utter disgrace for the Lees.

Kai actually hoped that was the case as well, not for his personal reasons, but because it would mean she was safe. However he knew better than that. Minhee, even if she wasn't on talking terms to him since they were nine, wasn't someone so reckless and irresponsible.

She committed herself to this engagement and marriage and she would see it through. She wouldn't leave without telling anyone.

That meant her absence could only be caused if something cropped up. Or something happened to her.

Kai closed his eyes and hoped fervently that she had run away instead. Please, God, please. He would even give her his blessings with Park Chanyeol if she was safe. Please.

His prayers weren't answered.

"MINHEE AGASSHI GOT INTO AN ACCIDENT!" Andou, Mr Lee's Japanese secretary burst into the ballroom. Kai's head snapped up in shock and his body trembled. Sehun grabbed his hyung's arm in case Kai did anything rash.

"SHE'S IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM RIGHT NOW!"

The Lees and Parks rushed off while the women cried, and the guests were left in shock. Kai's body lurched forward to follow but Sehun held him back.

The dongsaeng nearly cried at the glare Kai sent him, but instead he shook his head firmly. "Don't do that, you know hyung. You're supposed to be her enemy, what would it look like if you rushed over to her like you're in love with her?" he hissed.

"But I am!" Kai growled, heaving.

"I know." Sehun whispered, shaking his head sadly. "But no one else does."

 

 

 

 

 

It took every single fibre of patience in his body for Kai to resist the temptation of visiting the hospital till late at night when his men notified him that the Lees and Parks had already left.

The news was reporting on the accident time and time again, repeating on how a lousy truck driver ran over the Lee heiress in the car park as she was on her way to her engagement party. Kai winced every single time and he wanted, no, needed to see Minhee to make sure she was alright. There was no further news on her condition and it almost killed Kai that he didn't know either.

Park Chanyeol had stayed on for another two hours till 4am in the morning before he left to head back to his house. Once Kai got the message, he immediately rushed over to the hospital and sneaked in using his connections.

As he neared the emergency ward, Kai's heart gave a painful squeeze. He didn't know what to expect and he couldn't ask the doctor about Minhee's condition because he had snuck in. He took a deep breath and pushed the door.

-----

Her frail body laid on the luscious hospital bed that seemed a tad too big for her petite size. Her head was wrapped with thick layers of bandage and her arm was up in a sling. Kai swallowed hard. The only sound in the room was his and her breathing, as well as the machine that beeped with every of her heart beat.

Kai approached her bed slowly, swallowing hard with every step. This was the closest he had been to her since they were nine. And the first time they were alone with each other.

He stopped by her bedside and gazed down at her sleeping face. Her lashes were long and dark against her fair skin. She looked pale but still beautiful in his eyes. His fingers trembled as they grazed her cheeks lightly.

Her skin was smooth. So, so smooth. 

Kai swallowed again. She was alive, breathing. That was everything he needed to know. He let out a huge sigh of relief and sank into the chair by her bed.

His hands found their way to hers and he gripped her fingers tightly, bringing them to his lips. "Please wake up and stay healthy Minhee." he whispered. "That's the only thing I want. Please?"

As if answering his prayers, Minhee's eyelids began fluttering at that moment. Kai thought his heart would stop at that instant as her eyes slowly opened, blinking a few times in confusion as she made sense of what was happening.

"Minhee?" Kai breathed, his hand gripping hers tighter. "Can you hear me?" He shot up from his seat and gazed down at her, one hand cupping her cheek tenderly. "Minhee?"

Minhee frowned and let out a soft groan, opening her eyes again to look at him. Kai stared down into her hazel-brown orbs and his heart skipped a beat. Her eyes were as beautiful as he remembered, no scratch that, even more beautiful up close.

"Water.." she managed to croak.

Kai sprung up immediately to pour her a cup of water, spilling carelessly in the process and not caring one bit. He helped her into a sitting position and fed her the water carefully while rubbing her back in a soothing motion.

Once she had enough, he helped her sit back against her pillows and brushed the hair out of her face. He let out a shaky breath. "I'm so glad you're okay, Minhee." he choked.

He didn't care how confused she must be at his presence. She must be hella confused that the guy by her side was her enemy instead of her soon-to-be fiancee Chanyeol, and she must be demanding explanations soon. Kai nearly smiled as he imagined her bombarding questions. His Minhee was always curious about everything.

"Minhee?"

Kai looked back at her face and his hand shot to grab hers. "Again?" he asked, concerned. "What did you say, Minhee?"

"Minhee?" Minhee repeated, confusion flashing on her features. She blinked at him several times, her brows furrowed together. "Who is Minhee?"

Kai froze.

She did not just ask that. She did not just ask her own name.

"Is Minhee my name?" she closed her eyes and frowned to herself as if trying to remember. "I don't remember anything." she groaned.

Kai rubbed her arms soothingly when she appeared to be struggling with her thoughts. "Yes, yes your name is Minhee." he nodded. "Lee Minhee."

"Minhee." she nodded, slowly taking it in. "Why don't I remember my own name?" she looked so helpless and frustrated at herself that Kai couldn't help it. He sat down beside her and pulled her into his arms, lying her head on his shoulder and patting her hair softly. "Hey, it's okay. You just got into an accident. Don't force yourself." he hushed.

Minhee nodded against his shoulder and pushed off to stare at him curiously. "And who are you then?"

He should have expected it. She didn't even remember herself, how could he expect her to remember him? But the question still stabbed right at his heart and Kai took several moments to compose himself enough to answer without breaking his voice. "I'm Kim Jong In. You can call me Kai."

"Kai." Minhee repeated softly.

Kai's heart picked up speed at the way she said his name. She never called him by his name ever again for the longest time. It was music to his ears. "Kai, are you my boyfriend?" Minhee asked, curious. Kai's head shot up in surprise to look at her.

Minhee blinked, a little embarrassed at her question lest she was wrong. "I mean," she explained hurriedly. "I'm hospitalized and there's no one here with me in the middle of the night except for you so I thought-"

While she was talking, it dawned on Kai all of a sudden. Memory loss. Memory loss had caused her to forget her own identity and his as well. And it caused her to forget about her hatred for him as well.

To her, Kim Jong In was a fresh slate, a white piece of paper. He could paint anything about himself to her. Absolutely anything.

She had absolutely no recollection whatsoever of the mean things he had said to her, the rivalry between their families and all the reasons she had to hate him.

He could start. Afresh.

"Yes." Kai blurted. Minhee blinked at him hopefully, waiting expectantly.

Kai took a deep breath, making his decision in a matter of seconds. He didn't have time to think it through and he wasn't sure if he would make a different choice if given another week to think about it. This was his chance and he had to grab it.

"Yes I'm your boyfriend." Kai repeated, staring into her eyes. "And I'm going to get you out of here."

 

 

 

 

 

"ARE YOU ING OUT OF YOUR MIND? HYUNG!"

Kai held his phone away from his ear and winced. Minhee blinked at him in confusion beside him and Kai tightened his grip around her hand and shook his head to affirm her that all was fine.

Minhee gave a little smile and nod, turning to close her eyes to get back to sleep.

"You're so loud." Kai hissed into the phone. "I'm just telling you because I need you to come up with some story that I'm needed at some other branch in say, Hong Kong or something. Explain to my parents for my absence alright?"

"No wait hyung." Sehun sounded like he was still in disbelief. "You must be kidding. You did not just steal a patient out of the National Seoul Hospital and tried to kidnap her! Hyung, it's illegal!"

"Kidnap my ." Kai growled. "It's not kidnap when she knows me and is coming with me willingly."

"Hell yeah it's kidnap when she doesn't know you!" Sehun roared into the phone. "Hyung, she had memory loss. MEMORY LOSS. Even if some randome dude on the street went over to tell her that he was the love of his life, she would believe him. Of course she would believe you, because you're the first person she saw! And you LIED to her, hyung."

Kai winced. Well, he did. Just a little bit. About the boyfriend part.

"It's just a tiny part, what's the harm?" Kai defended.

"What's the harm?" Sehun shrieked. "Hyung, she has a fiancee and she was about to get engaged. She has a family to go back to. You can't just steal her away by claiming to be her boyfriend when you're not. Would she even go with you if you didn't lie about your relation to her? No! Don't do this, hyung. You're just lying to her."

"Sehun I didn't call you to ask for your opnion. I only want you to explain to my parents of my absence." Kai snapped.

"Hyung!" Sehun didn't want to let the matter go. "I'm telling you, you can't just lie to her and whisk her away for yourself-"

"Oh Sehun." Kai said in a soft voice, glancing at Minhee to make sure she couldn't hear. There was something in his tone that made Sehun shut up immediately. "And I'm telling you that this is the only chance I've got with her, understand?"

Sehun fell silent for a few moments before a huge sigh could be heard.

"Arraso hyung. I'll settle your parents, don't worry." he finally relented.

Kai broke into a grateful smile. "Thank you Sehun. Really."

"You owe me." Sehun muttered, before hanging up. Kai sighed in relief and pushed his phone into his pocket, glancing back at Minhee. She seemed to have fallen against again, her broken arm in an awkward angle and her head rolled back against the seat.

Kai chuckled softly and pulled her to him, lying her head on his shoulder and moving her such that she could snuggle up against him comfortably. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and sighed, smiling genuinely for the first time in many years.

"I'm so glad you're fine, Minhee." he whispered.

 

 

 

 

 

"Where are we?" Minhee blinked at the large mansion which the car had stopped in front of. "Is this where we stay?" she gaped. "Wow."

Kai had to chuckle at her expression. He had brought her to the Kim's summer home in Busan to avoid being found by reporters or whatnot. The summer home was huge but it was by no means larger than Minhee's own home back in Seoul. The Lee Family's mansion was more than double the size of his summer home. If only she knew.

"Yup we're staying here." Kai nodded and opened the door for her. He nodded at his chauffeur and the man nodded, understanding that this little escapade was not to be leaked. A few nurses were already waiting at the gate for their arrival to tend to Minhee since Kai whisked her away before she fully recovered. He engaged the best doctors he could and paid them a hefty sum to keep mum about Minhee's appearance in Busan.

Apparently money worked wonders.

He was just wondering if the Minhee's bedroom was done up just as he instructed when a hand slipped into his, jerking his attention back to the present. His eyes widened and he looked down at Minhee who didn't seem uncomfortable at initiating to hold his hand.

"The house looks so pretty." she beamed, her pale face slowly gaining colour and not at all looking like someone who had gotten into an accident the previous night. "Do we stay here? I hope we do! Does it have a swimming pool? Oh is that a pond? Oh gosh there're swans!" she pointed in amazement.

Kai could hardly catch what she was talking about as his entire focus was on her hand in his. He swallowed and let a small smile creep to his lips. He felt a tinsy guilt tugging at his heart, knowing that she only held his hand because she assumed he was her boyfriend, but he decided to let it go for a moment. He would have her to himself for just a little while, that was all he was going to think about for now.

"Kai!"

"Hmm?" he smiled down at Minhee, his heart racing at her bright smile. She was so so beautiful it made him breathless everytime he looked at her. She was beautiful without even trying, beautiful even in her ugliest state. No matter what, she was beautiful in his eyes.

"I'm kind of hungry." Minhee blushed sheepishly. "You think there's food in there?"

Kai broke into a larger grin and he squeezed her hand lightly. "I'll even pluck the stars for you if you wanted. Of course I'll get you food. Come." he led her into the mansion. "Let the doctors give you a thorough checkup and we can eat alright?"

"Yay!" Minhee cheered, looking almost like he really did promise her the stars.

Kai never felt more powerful than at that instant. He had the power to make her smile, that was all he needed.

 

 

 

 

 

"You okay with red bean soup?" Kai murmured as he pushed his way into the bedroom he prepared for Minhee. The girl was waiting patiently for him on the bed, her bandage changed with new ones and looking brighter than before.

"Kai!" she brightened. "I'm more than okay. I'm starving." she admitted with a faint blush.

Kai chuckled to himself as he set the soup on the bedside table while taking a place beside her. Minhee's eyes watched the soup intently and her left hand reached for the spoon. However since it was her non-dorminant hand, it wobbled dangerousl and threatened to spill the soup.

Kai grabbed her hand and took the spoon from her. "I'll feed you okay?" he blew gently on the soup and held the spoon to . "Ahh."

Minhee blinked a few times and blushed.  "Uhm I can manage.." she looked down at her hands. "Maybe not." she bit her lip sheepishly. "I guess I'll have to get used to this right, since you're my boyfriend after all."

Kai swallowed down the guilt and forced a smile. Even though he loved the sound of “boyfriend” coming out from , he still felt guilty since this was all a lie that he fed her with. Minhee didn’t notice the change in his expression and she opened obediently as he fed her.

Kai smiled at her distractedly, wondering what her family’s reaction was when they found out that their daughter was missing. He would bring her back, if only he loved her less.

His thumb moved to swipe the stain off her lips absent-mindedly and both of them froze when they realized what he did. He cleared his throat and retracted his hand immediately, swallowing hard.

Minhee blushed prettily and changed the topic, obviously not used to the skinship between them. “Anyway Kai,” she looked at him curiously. “Are you the only family I have? Where are my parents? Do we live here? What do I do for a living? And-“ she faltered, grinning sheepishly. “I’m bombarding you with questions aren’t I? I’m just curious about everything because I don’t remember anything.” She pouted lightly.

Kai moved to cup her cheek in his palm as he smiled at her assurance. “Don’t worry. No matter what happens and whether you remember or not, you’ll have me.”

A soft smile graced her lips and she nodded. “Thank you, Kai.”

Kai smiled back and wished time would stop at that moment.

-----

“What are the odds that her memory will return, doctor?”

Minhee had believed every single one of the lies Kai had fed her, not once doubting whatever he said. He had practically given her another identity with what he described to her as her “past”.

He lied to her that she had no other relatives and family left in the world except for him. He lied to her that they met when they were in university. He lied that his parents knew and approved of their relationship and they resided in Gwangju instead of Seoul.

Minhee believed everything one of those lies without a single doubt and had accepted every one of the answers he provided for her questions. She ran out of things to ask and was now soundly asleep in her room, thinking that Kai was everything she had.

All that was good only if she didn’t remember her actual past, which would cause her to realize that everything Kai said was a lie. Kai didn’t mean to lie to her more than the part that he was her boyfriend. He just wanted to give himself a chance with her.

However one lie led to another and soon, he had fabricated her entire past. He had to support one lie with another and he rewrote her entire life from birth till adulthood.

And now he had to make sure that she wouldn’t find out the truth.

“What are the odds of her remembering?” Kai repeated, staring hard at the doctor and crossing his fingers behind his back while hoping fervently for the answer he yearned.

“I can’t really say, young master.” The doctor shook his head. “There are some patients who don’t remember anything for the rest of their lives but there are some who recover all their memories within weeks of their recovery process. It really differs on a case to case basis.”

Kai’s face fell and he frowned to himself. That didn’t give him the answer he wanted.

The doctor noted Kai’s change in expression and he hurriedly added, “However if you bring her to familiar places of the past, let her listen to familiar songs and did familiar things, there is a higher chance of bringing back those memor-“

“Does that mean that if I bring her some place foreign that she hasn’t been before it would decrease the chances of her remembering her past?” Kai cut in urgently.

The doctor blinked in surprise, not expecting that. “I...guess...”

“Great.” Kai muttered under his breath, not realizing that the doctor caught what he said. “Thank you for your assistance, the cheque will be sent to you by the end of today.” Kai bowed and made his way back to Minhee’s room.

The doctor stared at Kai’s retreating back in confusion. “Why doesn’t he want her to remember?”

 

 

 

 

 

Initially, Kai was really guilty to have stolen Minhee away from her family and Park Chanyeol, but as time passed, the guilt lessened. Minhee was happy and cheerful by his side and he was beginning to think that this was the right choice.

Of course, he still couldn’t tell her about her real past and he had to keep a close eye on the Lees and Parks and their men to make sure none of the would find out about Minhee under his care.

His parents kept asking him to go back home, thinking that he was now in Switzerland handling some business but Kai managed to keep up the lie all this while. Sehun bombarded him with a thousand emails everyday to beg him to return, but Kai deleted all of them.

The search party for Minhee was dwindling since it was more than a month since her mysterious disappearance from the hospital and there was still no signs of her. The search was even being carried out of Korea since the Lees had no idea where their daughter had gone, and Kai was relieved that none of them knew the truth.

All he wanted was for Minhee and him to stay together.

The two soon got into a familiar routine after a few weeks of living together. Kai found that the chemistry between them was still alive and growing, and there were plenty of moments where they knew what the other person was thinking without even having to say it out verbally.

It was as if the eleven years apart was nothing at all to them and they grew accustomed to each other quickly. Kai thought the past few weeks was the best time of his life, since Minhee was the first person he saw each morning and the last at night.

He could really get used to this.

Every morning, Minhee would wake up at the crack of dawn. It had been her habit since they were children and even with the loss of memories it didn’t seem to alter her body clock. She would wake up early in the morning and tried to help the maids with the housework even with one broken arm, and the maids would be more than terrified at her actions for fear that she might hurt herself and also the possible consequences if Kai realized they let his girl do chores.

She then amused herself with books and whatnot till it was 8am in the morning. She would then skip over to Kai’s room and dragged the curtains opened, lighting up the place. She would shake him up to wake him up and they would have breakfast together while chatting.

“Five more minutes.” Kai groaned, flipping over to his front and burying his face in his pillow. He had no idea how Minhee could wake up so early every morning since he thought sleeping till noon was the best enjoyment in life.

“Wake up Kai, it’s already eight!” Minhee shook him with her good arm. “I’ve been up since six thirty lazy pig! I’m hungry, make me breakfast.”

“Ask the maids.” Kai didn’t move from his spot.

Minhee giggled softly under her breath as she took in his messy bedhair. Even in his worst form, Kim Jong In still managed to look absolutely breathtakingly handsome. “I don’t want to bother them.” She shook him again. “And I want to eat the breakfast you make for me pretty please?”

If there was one thing Kai couldn’t stand, it was Minhee’s aegyo. His lips twitched up and he flipped over to his back, squinting up at her. God, she was beautiful even in the morning.

He ruffled her hair and pushed himself off the bed. “Alright alright. I’ll even get you the stars if you ask me to, let alone breakfast.” He teased. “Wait for me while I wash up.” He tapped her nose and shuffled to the bathroom.

Minhee watched him go with a delighted smile on her face, as if he really promised her the stars.

-----

After breakfast, Kai would busy himself with his work since he still had duties to fulfil being the Kim heir. Minhee would watch dramas or design some of her fashion clothings which she was increasingly good at, or sometimes chatting with the maids.

The maids found the young lady very friendly and nice, not at all acting like she was above them.  They also thought it was cute how only Minhee could make Kai smile and laugh since they never really noticed him showing such emotions these past years.

The two would have a nice lunch together before Kai delved into work once more. He always tried to finish work before 5pm so that he could cook them both a nice dinner. He made it a point to cook dinner for them every single evening because heck, he was a man in love so there.

Every Friday, Kai would bring Minhee to the theatres to watch either a play or a movie and they would eat out. It was like a normal date between normal couples and Kai enjoyed every single moment he spent with her.

This day for instance, was one where they watched a sappy Korean drama on the couch after eating the spaghetti Kai prepared for dinner. Kai had an arm around Minhee’s shoulder and she leaned in comfortably into him.

The drama was called Heirs or something and featured Lee Minho and Park Shinhye but Kai could hardly bother about it. He was distracted by the girl beside him as he played with her hair, marvelling at the way they slipped silkily through his fingers.

Despite being her “boyfriend”, Kai never used his position to his advantage and the only things he did with her was to hold her hand and occasionally hug her. He didn’t think he could kiss her because...well, conscience was holding him back. Even if she did believe he was her boyfriend, he didn’t want to take advantage of her unless he was sure that was what he wanted.

He was a gentleman like that.

He was also contented with what he had now, which was her by his side, as that was more than what he could ever ask for.

He was too absorbed in his thoughts to notice Minhee’s bothered expression throughout the show as she watched Lee Minho and Park ShinHye get close and cosy with one another, stealing kisses whenever possible and murmuring “I love you’s” whenever they could, and she glanced up at Kai with a frown.

The show ended at 10pm and the two went to wash up for bed. It was only then that Kai noticed something off about Minhee and that she was unusually quiet. She would usually be chirping and bursting with energy after watching her favourite drama since she had a lot of comments about the new developments of the plot.

That night, she was instead strangely quiet as she seemed to be deeply bothered about something. Kai observed her quietly as he tucked her in bed. “Is something wrong?” he asked in concern. “You’re strangely quiet tonight.”

Minhee hesitated for a few moments before shaking her head. “It’s nothing. Goodnight Kai.”

She closed her eyes, preventing Kai from continuing with his questions. “Okay goodnight. I’ll bring you to the hospital to remove your cast tomorrow.” He murmured.

He watched her for a few moments before turning to leave. He knew she was lying but he didn’t want to force the truth out of her if she didn’t want to say.

“Just what is bothering her?” he mumbled to himself curiously.

 

 

 

 

 

He got his answer a few hours later.

After clearing most of his emails till after twelve, Kai went to bed and nearly fell asleep immediately when his head hit the pillow. In his slumber, he thought he had dreamed the warmth  that had crawled into his bed and shook him.

“Five more minutes.” Kai groaned out of habit, thinking that it was morning and Minhee was here to wake him up.

He squinted, fully expecting the sunlight to hit him in the face but was surprised to find that it was still night. When his vision finally adjusted to the lack of light, he was shocked to find Minhee on his bed with tear-stained cheeks.

He bolted to sit up immediately, his eyes searching her face in alarm. “Minhee?” he gasped. “What’s wrong?”

She hesitated, seeming to struggle with herself. “I...I...”

“You can tell me anything, Minhee.” Kai assured, rubbing her arms up and down and noting how cold she was. He made a mental note to buy her long sleeved pyjamas in the future. “What happened?”

Minhee swallowed visibly. “Just...” she looked at him seriously. “Kai, do you not love me anymore?” she blurted.

That was unexpected.

It was the last thing Kai expected her to ask. The thought of his love for her was what occupied most of his mind for the past ten over years and he didn’t think he needed to say it out loud for her to understand. Well, there wasn’t a need for her to understand about his feelings before this either.

It pained him to think that she was insecure because of him, but also strangely happy because that only meant that he was important enough to bother her with his lack of affection.

“It’s just that,” Minhee took a deep breath, her cheeks slightly turning pink even without only moonlight lighting up the room. “We’re supposed to be a couple but we’re staying in separate rooms. I understand that perhaps you’re giving me space since I don’t remember anything from before the accident, but you don’t even try to make moves on me. You haven’t even said you loved me.” She hiccupped.

“If you’ve fallen out of love with me since the accident, I really understand that you don’t want to be with a girl that doesn’t remember anything.” Minhee sniffled. “I’m really okay about it but if you could just tell me if that was the case-“

“Minhee.” Kai cut her off, shaking his head and cupping her cheeks to make her face him. “Baby, you’re wrong. I love you.” He whispered out loud for the first time in years.

“I..” he was overwhelmed with emotion as he thought about this love which he had held on for nearly two decades. “I’ve loved you since we were child-“ he stopped himself, remembering the lies he fed her. “I mean I’ve loved you since our university days. I’ve never looked at another girl the same way since then and there’s no other girl for me besides you. I love you, Minhee, only you. I promise.”

Minhee stared back at him, biting her lip while trembling lightly. “Really?” She squeaked.

“Really.” Kai nodded in confirmation, tugging her wrist and pulling her forward. He knew he made a promise to himself that he wouldn’t kiss her unless he was absolutely 100% sure she wanted him to, but he couldn’t help himself.

The years of longing and desire couldn’t be stronger than at that moment as he pressed his lips against hers. The kiss was everything he ever imagined and more. It was perfect, she was perfect.

Their lips moved against each other’s in unison and Kai wanted it to go on forever. He could kiss her on and on and on. His heart was racing so wildly that he thought it might malfunction any moment, and if he could, he would readily choose to forgo the need to breathe.

They finally pulled away after several long moments and Kai tugged on Minhee’s hair lightly as he rested his forehead against hers. That was the best damn kiss ever.

Or well, his first ever kiss. But still, the best.

He closed his eyes and relished the moment, not expecting the next words that tumbled out of Minhee’s mouth. “I think I love you too, Kai.”

Kai’s eyes shot opened and he stared at her in disbelief. Wait what? He didn’t dare believe his ears lest they were playing a trick on him or she was merely joking because he didn’t think he would be able to handle the rejection if it wasn’t true.

Don’t fly me to the moon and drop me from there, please.

“I think I loved you a lot in the past as well, Kai. I just know it.” Minhee smiled in content. “Even if I don’t remember anything from the past, I’m sure I loved you as well.”

Kai tried hard not to flinch visibly. That was so darn far from the truth. You hated me. I was your worst enemy and I did everything I could to hurt you so you would pay attention to me. You didn’t love me, far from it.

“Even if I don’t remember anything, I’m so happy I have you, Kai.” Minhee buried her face in his chest and hugged him happily, unaware of the emotions coursing through his veins at that moment.

 

 

 

 

 

“I don’t want you to see it.”

“Minhee.” Kai sighed, exasperated. It was finally time for her to remove her cast from her arm and both of them were at the hospital, eager to get the darn thing off her. Kai wanted to follow her in but Minhee refused vehemently.

“I really don’t want you to see it, Kai!” Minhee groaned, hugging her arm. “My skin is gonna be all crinkly and wrinkly and ugly. Why don’t you just stay outside here to wait for me?”

“Minhee.” Kai groaned. “I don’t want to stay outside here not knowing what is going on okay? I’ll go mad with worry.” He raked his fingers through his hair.

“It’s just taking out the cast what can go wrong?” Minhee pleaded. “Just let me go in alone okay? I don’t want you to see my arm in bad shape.”

Kai finally relented, not being able to refuse to her requests. “Okay okay. I’ll just be here okay? Come out quickly.” He leaned down to peck her lips lightly, marvelling at how he was now able to do that.

Minhee gave him a grin and hopped inside the room while Kai steadied himself against the wall. He let out a contented sigh as he thought about the previous night’s events.

Minhee loved him. LOVED HIM.

He bit back a wide grin as an elderly couple passed him. He had waited so so long to hear her say that. They had kissed a bit more after their confessions the previous night and she fell asleep in his arms.

That morning was also the first time he woke up earlier than she did and he spent a good fifteen minutes just staring at her while she slept. He also had the opportunity to wake her up by placing feather-light kisses all around her face and watched as she wrinkled her brows ever so cutely while she woke.

Gosh, he could never ask for anything more.

Kai hummed a happy tune, making plans in his head for the night. There must be a grand celebration since they were officially together now and Minhee’s cast was off. Perhaps he would take her to the new restaurant around the corner and hmm, how much did those fireworks cost anyway? Perhaps he should order for some since tonight was so special.

Kai was immersed in his thoughts when he suddenly caught sight of someone making enquiries at the counter. His eyes widened and he took a sharp intake of breath. .

 

 

 

 

 

Park Chanyeol was standing no more than fifteen steps away from him and...did he just hear Minhee’s name from that guy’s lips. . .

Without thinking, Kai burst into the ward Minhee was in and slammed the door behind him. Minhee jumped in shock, holding her hand to her heart. “Kai! You scared me!” she heaved a sigh of relief when she realized it was him. “Didn’t I tell you to wait outside?” she squeaked, hiding her arm behind her and feeling self-conscious.

Kai didn’t register anything she said, his face turning pale rapidly and the only thought that he could process was that Park Chanyeol was less than twenty metres away from them right now. And judging from what he heard just now, it seemed that Chanyeol was still looking for Minhee.

.

A million possibilities ran through his mind at that instant, mostly which was the fact that he had nearly forgotten about the past which he had fabricated for Minhee. He nearly believed in those lies himself and now those lies were starting to come back to haunt him.

If Minhee knew he had practically kidnapped her and brainwashed everything she knew....

Kai swallowed, closing his eyes shut and swearing vulgar profanities in his head. He didn’t want to imagine such a scenario because no matter how many million outcomes he came up with, all of them ended with Minhee leaving his side.

And that would definitely be hell.

Kai didn’t realize he was dead pale and was breathing deeply, his fists clenched at his sides. Brows furrowing, Minhee blinked at him as she approached him slowly. “Kai?” she murmured in concern. “Are you okay? You look as if you saw a ghost or something.”

The man in question swallowed visibly as he snapped back into attention, glancing at Minhee distractedly. His attention was wholly distracted by the door behind him, fearing that any moment, Chanyeol would burst in and expose Kai’s every lie.

“Kai?” Minhee touched his arm lightly, starting to realize that something was in fact scaring the hell out of him. “Did you see someone out there? Do you want me to do something about it?”

She took a step towards the door and Kai thought he would pee in his pants right then and there, and he grabbed Minhee by the waist and wrapped his arms around her body, trapping her in and inching away from the door. His heart was pounding so hard against his chest and he was so so scared that she would disappear any second.

 “Kai?” Minhee gasped, surprised. She glanced back at the doctor who had just finished disposing her cast, looking as shocked as she was at Kai’s random behavior.

“Promise me,” Kai rasped, swallowing hard and burying his face in Minhee’s hair. “Promise me you won’t leave me.”

Minhee twisted around to look at him in the face. “Are you sure you are okay-“

“Promise me.” Kai repeated, his voice strangled.

Minhee quickly nodded, not knowing what she could do to calm him when her boyfriend seemed so frightened and disturbed. “I won’t leave you Kai, don’t worry.” She patted his arm.

Kai nodded and sighed heavily, hugging her to him tighter. He would never let anyone take her away.

 

 

 

 

 

Everything seemed to return to normal after that incident with Chanyeol. Kai sent his men to track his love rival and found that after an unsuccessful visit to Busan, Chanyeol had returned to Seoul without Minhee by his side.

Kai and Minhee turned more and more loving with every passing day, however there were also moments when Minhee thought Kai was hiding something from her. His eyes seemed dodgy every time they went out to public areas and he would sometimes stiffen while stopping in the middle of the road, staring in horror at men with a similar build to his but taller and with fairer skin. When they turned and Kai caught sight of their faces, he would then let out a sigh of relief, reverting back to his old self and pretending nothing happened.

Minhee tried hard not to let it bother her but it was starting to get to her real bad. What was it that Kai was hiding made him so paranoid all the time?

It had to be something big. Something huge.

Minhee sighed to herself while massaging her temple. She wished she had her memory back. Maybe then she could help.

-----

“Do you think I could ever get my memory back?” Minhee murmured, staring at the beautiful scene of the horizon in front of her. “It’s been more than two months and nothing is working. I still don’t remember anything before the accident. What if I never get my memory back? Ever?”

Kai glanced at his girlfriend beside him. The two of them were sitting on a bench by the beach, watching as the sun slowly disappeared beyond the horizon while sending pretty streaks of pink and orange through the sky. He felt a tug at his heart as the guilt attacked him once more.

“Does it change things? Kai pulled Minhee towards him and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. “Aren’t you happy now? Why must you remember?”

Minhee looked up at him, surprised with his question. “Why wouldn’t I want to remember? Someone with no memory of the past is someone without root. I want to remember even if the past is very insignificant. It was my life that I have lived and it was what crafted me to become what I am.”

She reached out to touch his cheek longingly. “I want to remember the exact moment when I realized I loved you.” She whispered. “I don’t think it’s fair that you’re carrying so much burden of the memories of the past when I don’t know anything at all.”

Kai didn’t say anything. How could he tell her that there was nothing about them she could recall when they positively wasn’t a “them” in the past? Her entire life didn’t have any place for him. He forced himself in.

“Minhee-“

“I know you will still love me no matter if I remember or not.” Minhee sighed and stared blankly in front of her. “But I still want to remember. Because it’s me.”

Kai tightened his arms around her just as the guilt tightened it’s grip around his heart. But he didn’t want her to remember. Ever.

 

 

 

 

 

The couple was at a restaurant in the city, enjoying their dinner.

Minhee had spent a long long time persuading Kai to agree to this trip to the city, because even though she loved the flowers and trees, she always thought she wanted more. It was strange, because according to Kai, she had grown up in the countryside for all her life but Minhee didn’t feel as if she belonged there.

When she looked at pictures of skyscrapers and the buzzing traffic that seemed so chaotic, she really wanted to be there. She begged Kai to take her to the city for a short trip but Kai had been adamant about it. He said there were dangers lurking in the city, which was pretty ridiculous because he would be around to protect her wouldn’t he?

She would have let it go usually, but she sensed Kai hiding something from her as he denied her of the trip. It was as if he was afraid of something she would see in the crowded city that was bustling with people and Minhee knew he would probably be more paranoid than ever when they got there.

It was the reason why they absolutely HAD to go because she HAD to know what Kai was hiding from her. After a long time of begging and pleading, Kai finally agreed to a short two day one night trip at the city of which he told her they were going home IMMEDIATELY.

Minhee agreed, taking whatever she could get. The strange thing was that the moment she stepped into the city, she thought she belonged there. It was a feeling she never experienced when she was in the countryside. The air wasn’t as fresh, the sky was mostly covered with skyscrapers and there were so many coloured lights stabbing at her eyeballs.

But she felt home. She could almost feel herself walking in a pair of ridiculously tall pair of heels and a tight fitted pencil skirt with her laptop tucked into her bag as she rushed from venue to venue and meeting to meeting.

Strange.

Minhee frowned to herself as she looked out of the window. Why did she feel as if she belonged to some place like that when according to Kai, she was more attuned to the country life of flowers and cows and meadows?

“What are you thinking?” Kai looked at her curiously, poking her cheek with a finger. Minhee wrinkled her nose as he spread some tartar sauce on her cheek and she pouted at him, doing the same thing on his cheek. Kai chuckled in amusement and grabbed a napkin, wiping her cheek tenderly.

“Nothing much.” Minhee murmured, twisting her lips. “I just...I like the city life. I think I can get used to something like this. It almost feels as if I’ve been living in some place as busy as this, no, even busier. Some place bustling with life and never sleeping.” She looked at him and smiled. “But that’s stupid isn’t it? Because I’ve been living in Busan all my life.”

Kai swallowed, retracting his hand and clenching one fist under the table. “Yeah. Strange.” He didn’t meet her eyes.

Minhee didn’t notice. She hummed a soft tune as she continued eating. “I want to go to work, Kai.” She blurted.

Kai’s eyes widened, staring at her in shock. “No.” He cut in without hesitation. No way would he let her go to work to meet more people. That would increase chances of her meeting someone that saw the Lee heiress’s picture before and before he knew it, she would be taken away from him.

“But I don’t want to stay at home all day.” Minhee argued, frowning. “It’s boring and meaningless. I want to go out to earn some money for myself-“

“I have money. I’ll feed you for the rest of your life.” Kai snapped, shaking his head. “You won’t get a job and you won’t go to work. That’s final.”

Minhee stared at him for a second and directed her gaze downwards. She knew there wasn’t any room for arguing, but that didn’t mean she felt good about it.

-----

Kai apologized for his rudeness during dinner after that, but he didn’t change his mind about letting Minhee to go to work. It irked her madly because she didn’t want to be kept in a house all the time.

The little miss rebellion within her rose one morning and she told Kai she was going to the market to accompany the maids to get the groceries. “But they can manage themselves can’t they?” Kai frowned, not wanting her to get tired.

“It’s really okay, Kai. I’m bored at home and they need the help.” Minhee insisted. “I’ll be alright and I’ll be back before noon.”

Kai thought for a few moments before crossing the room and giving her a peck on the lips. “Alright. Come home safely. I’ll miss you.”

“Even if I’m only gone for 3 hours?” Minhee teased. Kai chuckled and flicked her forehead. “Even if you’re only gone for 3 minutes, babo.”

Minhee smiled, her cheeks a rosy pink as she got out of the house with the maids. She felt slightly guilty to be lying to Kai about where she was going but after second thoughts, she decided to go ahead with her plan.

She bade goodbye to the maids and waved for a taxi, heading over to the nearest and largest office around the corner. The Park Enterprise.

She had no idea what she would find out. At all.

 

 

 

 

 

Kai had a bad feeling about Minhee going out with the maids. It was strange really, because she did it once in a while whenever the maids needed to get the groceries but that day felt strange. There was this strange sense of omen that told him something was dreadfully wrong.

He paced around in his room and glanced at the clock every few minutes even though Minhee was gone for less than an hour. Something felt off about everything.

He took a deep breath to calm himself. “She’s just out buying food, Kim Jong In. What could go wrong?” he told himself, shaking his head. “Nothing can go wrong. Just go back to your report and maybe by the time you’re halfway through it, she would be back!”

She wasn’t.

In fact, there was no sign of Minhee even after Kai finished his entire report , a whole two hours after Minhee was supposed to be home. He called Minhee’s phone a million times but to no avail, and the maids hadn’t returned. He was burning mad but he couldn’t leave the house for fear that Minhee would return anytime.

It wasn’t until 4pm that his two maids returned home, looking scared as hell. “WHERE IS SHE?” Kai barked, almost going berserk when he saw that she wasn’t home with them.

“Young master...” the two maids looked at each other in fear. “Minhee agasshi, she...”

Kai nearly fainted when he heard what they told him. Minhee had lied to him? She lied to him in order to go for a job interview. The two darned maids had no idea which company she went to for the interview and Kai used all his sources he could to find out which companies in the vicinity held job interviews that day.

It was nearing 10pm and Minhee still wasn’t home. Kai was burning with worry and the darned police didn’t let him report the case because Minhee wasn’t gone for more than 24 hours. She was a grown adult, they had told him. She could take care of herself.

Kai nearly punched one of them. He was going mad with fear and anxiety from Minhee’s absence from his side. For the past three months, they had been together for every second of the day. When she wasn’t by his side, he felt lost because he didn’t know what she was doing and whether she was fine.

There came a knock on the door and Kai rushed down the stairs. The maids yelled to tell him that it was the police and Kai nearly cried in relief. Had they found her?

“Mr Kim?”

“Have you found her?” Kai cut in, looking around hurriedly but his face fell when he saw no sign of the girl he loved. “Why haven’t you found her? Are you guys doing your job? What have you been doing-“

“Mr Kim.” One policemen held Kai’s shoulder. “You are under arrest.”

“I say you-what?” Kai faltered, his face paling. “What?” “You are under arrest for breaking into a hospital, kidnapping Miss Lee Minhee and also for fraud.” The policemen told him sternly. “May we seek your cooperation to follow us to the police station.”

Kai’s heart stopped beating. The thought that crossed his mind wasn’t that he might possibly have to go to jail. What worried him was the fact that Minhee must have found out.

And he feared forgiveness wasn’t in her list of things to do.

 

 

 

 

 

To Kai’s disappointment and frustration, he didn’t even get a chance to see Minhee throughout his entire trial period till his sentence.

Apparently when Minhee went for the job interview, the interviewer recognized her as the missing Lee Heir that was supposed to be engaged to their boss. He immediately called for Park Chanyeol who rushed over to Busan, together with Mr and Mrs Lee.

Minhee was confused and lost when Mr and Mrs Kim attacked her with a huge hug, mumbling strange things and calling her their daughter. After a lengthy explanation, Minhee finally realized what was going on.

The life she thought she knew: it was a lie. Kai had rewritten her entire past, giving her a new identity and placing himself in her new life.

She still had no recollections of the past but she knew these people weren’t lying and all the facts were telling her the same thing. Kim Jong In was a liar.

Mr and Mrs Kim immediately reported this to the police and that night, Kai was arrested. His parents were shocked that their son was in Korea instead of Switzerland which he had claimed, and Kai finally confessed to his unspoken feelings which he had kept in his heart for more than two decades.

There wasn’t much case for his lawyer to defend since Kai admitted to his wrongdoings. Kai was sent to jail for 5 years.

 

 

 

 

 

5 Years Later

Kai stepped out of jail, taking a deep breath.

5 years passed so slowly that it was absolutely agonizing. His parents and Sehun visited him frequently and he knew the outside world had to be full of rumors and news about his actions. Funny that they would use such crude terms like “kidnap” and “fraud”.

He did everything out of love. And perhaps, a little obsession.

He had just hoped to stand a chance with Minhee, because gosh, he could hardly describe in words just how much he loved her. Perhaps others would call him crazy, but he couldn’t just let the chance slip without getting closer to her.

If he had the chance to rewind time, he was pretty sure he would do it again, as psychotic as it sounded.

He was just sad that the circumstances surrounding their two families had forced him to use such extreme actions in order to get closer to the girl he loved. But he never regretted doing them.

Sehun was at the gate waiting for him when he came out. “Welcome out hyung!” Sehun grinned and bumped chests with him. “Come on, your parents are waiting at home with a feast prepared!” he pulled Kai towards the car.

Kai took a step back and stared at Sehun. “Sehun, can you do me a favour?”

Sehun faltered and narrowed his eyes at Kai. “What? This sounds dubious and something that I might regret doing.”

“It’s not, I promise.” Kai shook his head. “Just, bring me to some place before you drive me home. Please?”

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun had no idea why Kai wanted to go back to the summer house in Busan.

Minhee wasn’t there anymore. The maids weren’t there anymore. In fact, Mr Kim had sold the house after Kai was sent to jail because the house was just a disgrace now.

“Memories.” Kai shrugged. He looked at Sehun with a small smile. “Wait for me, fifteen minutes, tops. I promise.”

Sehun blew on his bangs in annoyance. “Oh alright. Just make it quick and don’t let anyone catch you breaking into private property. You don’t want to go to jail again for something so lame.” He warned.

Kai smiled genuinely. “Thanks, Sehun.”

He turned and eyed the yellow mansion, his heart skipping a beat. Perhaps the police would call it the location of crime. Mr and Mrs Lee would call the house the cage where he trapped Minhee in. But to Kai, this was the place that held his dearest memories.

Kai walked over to the back of the house and climbed over the wall easily. He landed on the grass with a soft thud and took in the view. The garden looked almost identical from the day he left it. He could still remember Minhee and him sitting on the bench, laughing and chatting their Saturday afternoons away.

He bit back a smile. He wondered how she was doing.

When Sehun wanted to update him with the newest happenings in the world, Kai would always insist that Sehun NOT tell him anything related to the Lees and the Parks. He didn’t deserve to know and he didn’t want to spend his nights wondering curiously about how Minhee was doing, not like he wasn’t already.

After all that he did to her, he had to stay out of her life.

Kai strode towards the backdoor and pried it open, looking inside curiously. An instant aroma of home-cooked food hit his senses and Kai froze. Of course, after his father sold this summer mansion, someone had to have bought it and there must be people living in there now.

Kai frowned at the thought of other people fooling around in the same place where he and Minhee and fallen deeper in love with each other. This was their place, their home.

He sighed and turned around, closing the door behind him. The doorknob slipped out of his fingers and he accidentally let it fall with a soft thud. Kai’s froze.

He wouldn’t be caught trespassing and sent to jail so quickly after completing his sentence, would he?

Kai turned around to run as he heard footsteps coming nearer and nearer towards the door. And worse, the person seemed to be running. Kai heaved himself up the wall, struggling as he was only wearing slippers.

The door burst opened.

Kai cursed under his breath, squeezing his eyes shut. The image of the cold, grey prison cell appeared in his mind and he nearly groaned out loud.

“Kai?”

Kai’s footing fumbled. He wobbled for a moment before he dropped back down on the grass, not landing as suavely as he would have liked. He spun around, awe and bewildered at the voice he thought he heard.

He was absolutely positive that he had imagined her voice, but there she was, standing on the steps with a pretty mustard yellow cotton dress and a blue apron, eyes wide and staring at him.

It hit him pretty hard. Longing, desire, guilt. He wanted to cradle her in his arms and run away at the same time.

He stared at her for a long moment, taking in her appearance. Minhee was slighter more mature but still definitely as beautiful as before. It took a while for him to register the fact that she was there, in his old summer home.

“What...what are you doing here?” Kai blurted.

Minhee stared back, her eyes meeting his without hesitation. Kai saw her eyes glistening, a sign of tears and he wondered if his looked the same.

“Waiting for you.” She murmured simply.

Three words. They crushed him.

How could she say it as if nothing happened, as if he never lied and tried to create another life for her? It was as though nothing happened between them and they were still living their happy little life in this bubble of happiness he created for them both,

Kai didn’t know how he got there but the next moment, he found himself kneeling in front of Minhee and hugging her waist, tears streaming down his face. “I’m so sorry.” He rasped. “I didn’t want to lie to you about everything. I never wanted to take your family away from you but that was the only way I could think of to change your impression of me. You hated me so badly and when you forgot me, I thought it was the chance to change that. I just...I just love you so bad I didn’t know how-“

“I never really hated you, Kai.” Minhee patted his head. She pulled him to stand up and stared up at him. “Like how I never realized you didn’t hate me.”

Disbelief engulfed him. “You never..” he stumbled over his words. “But..”

Minhee sighed and bit her lip. “To tell you the truth, I hated you when I found out that you were lying. I was so in love with you at that point since you were my entire world, and my heart broke when I found out everything you told me was a lie. From the bad blood between our families, I never imagined that you would have any feelings for me and I assumed from the facts that you did it because of the rivalry between our families.”

Kai’s eyes widened. “No, I would never-“

“I know.” Minhee nodded. “But at that time I didn’t. I just found out you lied to me, I had no recollection of the past and my parents told me that your family and you hated me. What did you think I would believe?” she looked at him.

“And now?” Kai swallowed, taking a small step forward. “Have you remembered? Do you hate me more now that you’ve remembered?” he choked.

Minhee smiled at him, to his surprise. He was momentarily blinded by the beauty of her smile and nearly missed her next words.

“I remember, that’s why I can’t bring myself to hate you even with what you did.” Minhee whispered. “Kim Jong In, did you know that I already purchased a house in Australia and two plane tickets, even before the engagement party?”

She laughed softly at his confused expression. “I never meant to marry Chanyeol. He’s a nice person but he doesn’t like me that way and neither do I. I originally thought I could go on with the marriage but I realized I wasn’t ready to sacrifice my lifetime’s worth of happiness just for business.” She shrugged and looked him in the eye. “I was ready to leave him at the altar to elope with you.”

Kai’s jaw dropped. What? When he was getting all depressed about her marrying another guy, she...

“I just never got around to telling you how I felt and then the accident happened.” Minhee murmured, wringing her hands. “I honestly don’t know whether to be angry or pleased that you loved me enough to go to such lengths to keep me, although I have to say, it was quite psychotic.” She chuckled softly.

She looked at him, waiting for his response, but Kai could only stare back at her dumbly as he took in the information. He thought he would never get to see her again. He thought he would have to sneak around, only catching glimpses of her while she went around with her new husband or boyfriend. He never expected to see her wearing an apron looking like she....she waited for him.

“Say something.” Minhee urged, her face reddening rapidly. “I even bought this mansion over from the previous owner, learnt some dishes and prepared them in hope that you would visit this place today when you were released-“

“Thank you.” Kai muffled her words as he pulled her into his arms, circling them around her waist in a tight hug. “Thank you. Thank you.” He couldn’t repeat it enough, including the three words which he mumbled over and over in her ear.

She then pulled away with a bright smile and pecked his lips, pulling him into the house to the dining room where an array of dishes were prepared by her to celebrate his release.

Kai watched her quietly, overcome with emotion.

Forgiveness, he never thought he would earn it.

Acceptance, that was a luxury he thought he couldn’t afford.

Her love, he never in his life imagined he would be on the receiving end of it.

But Minhee managed to accomplish all these three things. He thought he would have to watch her get married to Chanyeol while he sulked his life away. He would play around with the other girls until it was too late and he would just marry any random woman under pressure. He thought he would have to bear with the empty feeling in his heart for as long as he lived.

Somewhere, somehow, with her gracious loving heart, Minhee managed to change everything. It wasn’t his actions that caused this, it was hers.

Minhee served him a bowl of fragrant rice with a bright smile and Kai reached forward, pulling her face closer and planting his lips on hers.

She pulled back and blushed prettily, biting on her bottom lip.

This woman was amazing, he couldn’t help but think. And to think that she would forgive him, she would love him...

His life, it was rewritten.

 

 

 

The End.

 

[PLEASE READ]

Edit: Yes I am aware Sehun is still stuck outside poor him sorry but LOL you kids are cute, your attention is on the wrong thing. I wanted to end it with comical effect with Sehun whining about being left behind but it didn't give me the feeling I wanted to achieve, so yes I'm leaving Sehun outside don't worry about his safety I've kidnapped him and I'll feed him well don't worry.

 

I had no idea it would be this long actually and I considered breaking it up into a few chapters, but there weren't any significant opportunities for chapter breaks so well...sorry if you guys thought it was too long but bleeeeehhh I'm the author I call the shots HEHEE

This was by far the LONGEST "chapter" I've ever written. It's 27 pages on ms word and more than 12,000 words. WTH man I can barely hit 2000 words for my reports.

I hope you guys liked it, I'm not sure about my pacing since I've always done long stories.

I also apologize for the delay in posting this up. I swear I was going to post it on the day I posted the foreword but as you can see it got longer than I thought so I continued writing on Sunday but accidentally closed the tab (#WhenLifeGivesYouPH14Lemons), and had to retype that whole chunk again yesterday and whew, finally finished it.

Hope you guys liked it! <3

Love,
Goddess