Chapter One

A Twisted Future
"Yah, Jì Hye!" Umma yelled, handing me five water bottles. "Deliver these."
          "Where?" I asked, placing them on the basket of my bike. 
          "There's this store near Shinhwa High." Umma had this dreamy look as she mentioned the most expensive school. 
          I sighed. "Okay."
          I, Kim Jì Hye, was born in a family that wasn't rich. We deliver for a living and the pay is not high. I am a seventeen year old Eonni of ten year old Jae Hye. I'm supposedly to be third year in school, but I stopped schooling due to money problems. Jae Hye's still continuing though. 
          I started biking my way when someone yelled, "Yah! Jì Hye ah!" 
          I gripped on my brakes and saw Jan Di. "Oh, Jan Di ah!"
          Jan Di was born in a dry cleaning family, meaning she wasn't rich. But that didn't change how she and Ga Eul were my best friends. She was also my age and has a younger brother, Geum Kang San. 
          "Where're you going?" I asked. 
          "Deliver clothes."
          "I'm sending these." I gestured to the bottles. 
         "Let's go together." 
         I smiled. "Ka ja."
          We biked our way, laughing loudly. I dropped the water off, receiving a payment of 3,000₩. As we went out of the store, I asked, "Jan Di, where're you sending the uniform?"
          She pointed somewhere at my right. 
          I turned and saw Shinhwa. "We get to go there?"
          She nodded. "Neh."
          As we went in, we were amazed by the size of the school. 
          "Jan Di, who are we finding for?"
          "Lee Min Ha." 
          Several students passed us, running quick. 
          "Where is he?" One asked. 
          "Rooftop!" Another replied. 
          "Excuse me," I asked a guy passing me. "who's on the rooftop?"
          "Lee Min Ha." Then he left. 
          Jan Di and I looked at each other with wide eyes.
          "Lee Min Ha?!" She said. 
          "Rooftop?!" I said. 
          Quickly, we ran to the rooftop with Jan Di bringing the uniform. 
          "Wait!" I yelled at the boy standing at the edge of the rooftop, covered in blood. 
          He turned to us with an annoyed look. 
          "Are you Lee Min Ha?" Jan Di asked. 
          "Yes, why?" 
          "Here," Jan Di ed the uniform at his direction. "30,000₩ please."
          A couple of kids snickered. 
          Min Ha gave her a look. 
          "25,000? 5,000?" Jan Di asked sheepishly. 
          "You can bill it to my house when I'm dead." 
          "Don't be like that." I said. Then I realized. "Wait...,"
          "D-dead?" Jan Di asked. 
          "But why? You go to such a great school." I reasoned. 
          Min Ha looked at me. "This isn't school. This is hell."
          "Yah! Real hell is out of this school." Jan Di said. 
          "Have you heard of F4?" Min Ha asked suddenly. 
          "F-F4?" I asked. 
          "If you get a red card from them, better watch out." He warned. "You both are lucky to have friends."
          "Why?" Jan Di asked. 
          "Because they have you." Min Ha closed his eyes. 
          Jan Di giggled. "Thank you."
          Then, he jumped. 
          "Ande!" Jan Di and I screamed and ran, grabbing his shirt, catching his fall. 
 
          Jan Di and I scrubbed the table in the Porridge Shop hard as we watched the TV furiously. 
          "Two commoners saved Lee Min Ha, Shinhwa student from suicide. Thank you, Wonder Women." The reporter said. 
          "My two best friends are heroes!" Ga Eul exclaimed, turning the television off. 
          Later, Jan Di and I walked each other home. 
          "Umma, Appa, Dongsaeng." I shut the door of my house. "I'm home."
          "Ah, Jì Hye, over here." Appa called. 
          I went to the small dining table to see my family -grinning widely- sitting with a man in a suit. 
          "Annyeonghaseyo." I bowed respectfully. 
          The man smiled kindly as he bowed. "So this is the other famous Wonder Woman."
          I chuckled nervously. 
          "Jì Hye, this is Chief Jung. He is here to give you a scholarship to Shinhwa." Umma informed. 
          My eyes widened. "Bwoh? Ah. Kamsahamnida. But, mianhae, I don't want to."
          "Eonni!" Jae Hye protested. 
          "Did Jan Di receive too?" I asked. 
          The man stood up. "Neh. But, please, consider this offer." 
          He bowed one last then left. 
          "Eonni, look." Dongsaeng and Appa held up my brand new uniform. 
          "Ande!" I walked to my room. "I'm not going! Shiro!" 
   
          The following morning, being defeated by my family, I changed to my uniform. I walked in front of my mirror. I wore knee length white socks with thin black stripes at the knee part, black combat boots similar to Jan Di's, and my knapsack on my back. My black hair that came up to the middle of my back was down. 
          "There's no turning back now," I fixed my side bangs. "fighting!" 
          As I started my way to school, a white van appeared by my side. 
          "Jì Hye ah." The window rolled down, revealing Jan Di smiling. "Get in."
          "Thanks." 
          As we arrived at school, we hopped off the van. But then the van blared sounds, "Jan Di! Dry cleaning!"
          A couple of kids laughed snobbishly. 
          Jan Di grabbed my arm and dragged me to school. 
         "What's that?" I asked as Jan Di pulled a paper out of her bag.
         "Directions around school."
          But unfortunately we got confused. 
          "This shirt," a guy said to his friends. "only two people have this."
          "Who has the other?" His friend asked. 
          "Gu Jun Pyo." The guy said syllable by syllable. 
          His friends gasped. 
          "Gu Jun Pyo?" Jan Di and I mouthed at each other. 
          We tried going to the other side of the school. 
          "Wait," I stopped Jan Di. I heard the familiar strains of a stringed instrument. "do you hear that?"
          "It sounds like-"
          "-a violin." I realized. "Ka ja."
          We followed the sound and saw a boy dressed in all white, playing a violin. The sound echoed beautifully in the trees. His head was bent a bit and he had long light brown hair that came up to his chin. Jan Di and I were awestruck. Suddenly, the boy stopped playing and looked at us. Then and there, I noticed how handsome he looked. 
          "Ah, sorry for disturbing." I apologized, bowing with Jan Di. 
          "Do you know where the swimming pool is?" Jan Di asked, flustered. 
          "Also the music room?" I asked. 
          He looked at each of us silently then raised his bow, pointing at our right. 
          "Ah, kamsahamnida." We both said. 
          "Mianhae," I bowed. 
          "Please, continue playing." Jan Di bowed. Then we both left. 
          After we both checked the pool and music room, we were impressed then went in the school. 
          "It's F4!" A girl suddenly screamed. Then the rest of the students followed, crowding over the entrance but making way. 
          "F4?" Jan Di asked me. 
          "Ah! The one Lee Min Ha mentioned." I remembered and we went to see. 
          Then, four boys entered, making a lot of girls scream. They had faces that looked like they were carved by gods. One that looked to be their leader, had very curly black hair and an arrogant expression. The second had straight side swept black hair and a cute dimpled smile. The third had dark red brown hair and held a juice box. But what surprised me the most was seeing the fourth. 
          Jan Di and I looked at each other. "Violin guy?!" We whisper-yelled. 
         The four of them didn't wear uniform and walked like they owned the world. Suddenly, the curly haired leader stopped walking and faced the guy who bragged about his shirt earlier. 
         "Woo Bin," Curly Hair said. "do you still have some of that juice left?"
         "Neh," Woo Bin, red haired guy, hands Curly Hair the juice. Then, Curly Hair pours it all over the poor guy's shirt. 
          Everyone oohed. 
          Then, they left, making everyone else go back to their own classroom. 
          "Unbelievable," I said out loud to Jan Di, as to we where the only ones left behind. 
          "Those were the famous F4?" She asked disbelievingly. 
          "Bastard," 
          "Crazy bastard,"
         "Crazy, arrogant bastard." Jan Di and I agreed. 
         "Oh, my God." A girl suddenly said. 
         Jan Di and I turned to see three girls with those super girly accessories mixing in their uniforms. 
         "You did not just call F4 that." Another said. 
         "What you say to them, you're also saying to all of us." The third said. 
         Jan Di and I shared a look. 
         "Who are you?" I asked. Y
         "Ginger!"
         "Sunny!"
         "Miranda!" 
         They each said while doing a pose. Jan Di and I looked at each other, trying not to laugh. 
          "We are the three beauties of Shinhwa." Sunny exclaimed. 
          "Better watch your mouths, commoners." Ginger, who seemed to be the leader, warned and left. 
          
           The following morning, as I arrived at school, yawning like crazy, Jan Di caught up with me. 
           "Yah, Jì Hye ah. I found their information."
           "Really? How?" I asked. 
           "Kang San became a computer addict and went crazy when I mentioned F4 to him." Jan Di rolled her eyes. 
           "Jae Hye went crazy too when she heard me say F4." I chuckled. "So, who are they?"
           "Okay, the one who drank the juice was Song Woo Bin. He's heir to a construction enterprise; his father is a real estate magnate."
           "Song Woo Bin Sunbae." I nodded. 
           "Black haired guy was So Yi Jung.  Yi Jung is a pottery genius who comes from an artistic lineage; his grandfather also owns a famous art museum."
           "So Yi Jung Sunbae."
           "Violin guy was Yoon Jì Hoo. He's the grandson of a former president, and the sole surviving descendant, as his parents died in car crash when he was five. His family owns a variety of rich-people toys, like an art center, a European soccer team, and a major league baseball team."
           "Yoon Jì Hoo Sunbae." 
          "Curly hair is Gu Jun Pyo. The others are famous among rich society, but Jun-pyo, as the heir to Shinhwa Group, is known to practically the entire country."
          "Gu Jun Pyo." I said. "Wow, so rich."
          "Yeah, ka ja." Jan Di smiled and led me to a stairwell. We went to the edge and she started screaming and yelling how life's unfair. Then she started calling F4 flies. 
          I laughed. "Yah, I'm going ahead. Araso?"
          "Araso." She continued yelling. 
          I decided on passing the lower stair case. But as the steps came to sight, I saw Jì Hoo Sunbae sleeping. 
          My eyes grew wide. "Yah, Jan Di ah." I whispered trying to stop her. "Jan Di, stop screaming." I whispered, trying not to wake him up. But suddenly, when I was about to go back to her, his hand reached out and grasped my hand. I immediately stopped and turned to him. His eyes were open and he stared at me as he raised one finger on his lips, telling me to quiet. I gulped. Slowly, he let go of my hand and cleared his throat softly. Then, I left without a word. 
          I waited for Jan Di in the entrance of the school, then I saw her enter looking embarrassed. 
          "Yah, Jan Di. What happened?" I asked. 
          "Jì Hoo Sunbae was there. He heard it all." She said sadly. 
          "It's F4!" A girl screamed again. I swear it was the same girl. Once again, everyone gathered. They entered again not in uniform. A girl went in front of them, holding out a box of cake. They stopped when they reached her. 
          "Gu Jun Pyo, I made this specially for you. Please accept my heart." The girl said. 
          Gu Jun Pyo got the cake from the girl making a lot of girls gasp. The girl smiled widely, but then Jun Pyo smashed the cake on her face and continued walking passed her. Jan Di and I were in front of Jun Pyo and his followers. He stopped in front of us. 
          "What?" He asked. "Do you have something to say?"
          Yes, I do. A lot. 
           "Yah, do you have something to say?" He repeated. 
           "No," Jan Di said gritting her teeth. 
           "Do you?" He asked me. 
           I clenched my jaw. "No, I don't." 
           Then he left. But as the others followed, Jì Hoo Sunbae glanced at me then Jan Di and gave out a small laugh and a smile. I have to say, he has a nice smile. Him and Yi Jung Sunbae. 
           After, it was already lunch. We went to the lunch room and our jaws dropped. The food were very expensive and delicious like from a five star restaurant. Jan Di and I found a place and we sat, eating our lunch boxes. Ginger, Sunny, and Miranda appeared. 
          "Eew, what's that?" Miranda asked. 
          "I don't know, but it stinks." Ginger got a perfume out and started spraying. Jan Di and I covered our food, glaring at the three girls. Then finally, they left. 
          "I hate them," I grumbled, eating cabbage rice. 
          "Hi," a girl with curly hair went to us. "can I sit with you? I'm Oh Min Jì."
          After lunch, Oh Min Jì, Jan Di and I became good friends. 
          "Let's get ice cream." I suggested. 
          So, we were laughing and talking while eating ice cream when suddenly, Min Jì slipped and fell, making her ice cream land on Gu Jun Pyo's shoe. Quickly, she stood up. 
          "I'm sorry. Let me pay for your shoe. Or buy you a new one."
          "I highly doubt you don't have the money." Jun Pyo said. 
          "Then let me do anything you say." Min Jì said. 
          "Anything?" Jun Pyo raised an eyebrow. " my shoe."
          "Excuse me?"
          "You heard me, it."
          "Yah," I stepped in front of Min Jì and faced Jun Pyo furiously. "why can't you just accept someone's apology? Do you think Min Jì fell on purpose? Do you think she would've want to smash ice cream on your shoe just to it?" 
           "Is it your thing to interfere?" Jun Pyo asked. "Why into someone else's business?"
           Jan Di stepped in beside me. “She’s not just anyone, she’s a friend. But I guess they don’t include words like ‘friend’ or ‘friendship’ in rich people’s dictionaries.”
          “Friend? Let’s see some of that great friendship in action. You it.”
          "What?" 
           "If you do it, I'll let this go."
          Jan Di slowly got down but then stopped mid bow. Then, she suddenly smashed her ice cream at Jun Pyo's nose. Shocked, Jun Pyo fell on the ground. 
           "Did you earn all that money yourself?" Jan Di got a couple of bills from her pocket and threw them on Jun Pyo. Then, she got a card for dry cleaning business and threw it at him too. His F4 friends were shocked and amused. "Jì Hye, Min Jì, ka ja."
           The following morning, Jan Di and I went to our lockers. I opened mine and got my needed stuff out. But, as Jan Di opened hers, a red card stuck out there. 
           Jan Di just got the card, crumpled it and threw it at the ground. 
           "She's got a card!" Someone yelled. 
           I glanced at the others who looked oddly happy. 
          "Jan Di, ka ja." I pulled her to the classroom. 
          We started finding for her desk. I found mine but hers was no where to be found. In the end, we end up following this string that led us to her desk. Her desk was filled with writings. Someone suddenly threw an egg at her. Followed by multiple people, she was covered in eggs. 
          "Jan Di-" I was going to step in but she raised her hand, stopping me. 
          "Do it," Jan Di yelled, about to be in tears. "Do it more!"
          Then, a sack of flour was released, covering her with flour. I couldn't take it anymore so I grabbed her hand and pulled her with me. I dragged her to the stair well as she cried. 
          I pulled her in a hug and she cried on my shoulder. "Jan Di ah. It's okay."
          After a while, she pulled back and said she would go home first. I nodded and stayed behind at the stairwell. I looked down at my clothes and saw it covered in flour. 
          "Oh, no. Umma will kill me." I muttered and tapped my hair and face. I felt it powdery from flour. "Such thing is wasted."
          "Yah, Jì Hye right?" A voice asked. 
          I looked up and saw Jì Hoo Sunbae walking to me. This is embarrassing, I'm covered in flour. 
          "Yes." 
          "Do you know how to make pancakes?" He asked suddenly. 
          I started naming the ingredients and how to cook them. 
          He nods and suddenly, he bends a bit and looks around at my clothes and face. He stands back straight and got a handkerchief out. He went near me and started wiping my face and uniform. 
          "S-Sunbae," I tried protesting. 
          Then, he stopped and grabs my hand and places his handkerchief on my hand. 
           "But this is-"
           "It's okay," he smiles. "you need it more than I do."
          "Thank you," I said quietly. "I'll return it the next time we meet here."
          "I won't be coming back here thanks to someone." He said referring to Jan Di. "It's too noisy already."
          Then he left.