Birthday Tag

We Can Do This Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

March 13 - 18 Weeks and 1 Day

"Are they seriously playing tag right now?" Hyunil asked as he looked behind his chair to see Sungyeol, Myungsoo, Jun, Sungjong, Jaejun, and Moonsoo chasing each other around like children in a park. They all seem to be dodging Moonsoo's touch as he tried to grab anyone who came close. Myungsoo's poor baby brother was the last one to touch his nose in nose-goes, so he was "it".

"Yeah, but leave them be. It's Myungsoo's birthday," Sunggyu reiterated, lifting his arm to wrap it around Woohyun's shoulders, "His weird little mind can do whatever it wants on its special day." 

It was Myungsoo's seventeenth birthday and they were all celebrating it outside in the finally warm air. Winter was coming to a close and the sun was finally peeking through its protection to warm up the earth with its rays. Everyone sat on the outdoor patio furniture and chatted as they ate the meat lovers pizza Myungsoo ordered. 

Barom laughed as he watched his boyfriend fail to run away from Moonsoo. Jun was considered short and the Kim family had some pretty tall people in it, so Moonsoo easily caught up to the elder as he touched his back with the following words of, "YOU'RE IT!" 

"Are you ready for finals?" Howon asked both Taemin and Hyunil, the only juniors there at the moment. 

The two brothers groaned and let their heads throw to the side in disapproval at the mentioning of the dreadful occurrence. Junior year was indeed the most difficult out of all of them and they were dead in the middle of it, with great big smiles and cheery attitudes. When they weren't at school. 

"No," Taemin answered, "I'm taking four college courses and two of them are killing me. I'm for sure going to fail them! I'll end up working for McDonalds." 

Barom shook his head, "Come on, they can't be that hard. And you're smart, so you'll pull through. You too, Hyunil," he addressed the younger with a smile. Both nodded with the same fears in their heads. It was all cognitive creating the idea of sudden failure. 

"How are college finals?" Woohyun asked his boyfriend next, turning to settle his head into the elder's neck. He had known that today was an exam day for every student at the university no matter what field study of choice, but he hadn't quite heard the details of it yet since they all came to the birthday party right after school ended. 

Sunggyu smiled, "It was easy. I have no doubt that I passed," he boasted, reaching over to feel Woohyun's swollen abdomen. In order to keep calm and make sure he did well on the exam, he kept Woohyun and Little Lemon in mind and how they would be so proud when he got his PhD in the future. He didn't share that little bit with Woohyun though. It wasn't quite the time for sweet nothings to be shared. 

"Good," Woohyun smiled, "Maybe you'll be Lemon's doctor when she's older," he suggested, using his palms to feel along the swell of his mid section. It was still getting bigger and he felt how his t-shirt material was stretching to accommodate the growth of his belly. He wouldn't be able to wear it soon. 

"Boys!" a sweet, aged voice called from the opening of the sliding glass door to the house. The party guests closest to the door turned to see Myungsoo's mother peeking her head through with a smile and tightly wound hair in a bun. She stepped further out and was revealed to be holding a massive cake in her hands, "We have cake!" she added with a twinkle in her eye.

The boys running in the yard stopped what they were doing and bolted to the patio upon hearing Mrs. Kim, "Cake!" Sungyeol questioned, more like a statement as he eyed over the cake. It was neatly decorated with white icing, fat poofs of whipped cream sitting on the top edges. In the middle were the words Happy Birthday! written in blue icing.

"Let's sing," Mrs. Kim suggested as she directed the groups of teenagers into song. Every single guy in the group all knew how to sing and keep a pitch and for once in their lives, they decided to keep the tone in the song as they sang with such talent. Harmonies bolted as the higher pitches matched in cadence according to the chorus of the famous song. Pairs of attendants harmonized together to create an edge to the common song. 

When finished, Myungsoo blew out his candles with such excitement that some of his spit may have flown out of his mouth and onto the cake. With extreme caution, everyone grabbed a piece that was out of range of Myungsoo's saliva once cut. 

"Lemon is loving this cake," Woohyun complimented as he lifted another fork full of the sweet dessert into his awaiting mouth, "She won't stop moving around for it," he added. Every time the fluffy dessert settled in his stomach, his unborn daughter wiggled in what Woohyun assumed was excitement. 

Myungsoo, who was sitting right next to Woohyun, set down his eating utensil and reached out with the same hand to feel the elder's round belly without spoken permission. His face formed into a weird smile as he felt a strong movement from his niece to be, "She really does," he confirmed with glee before going back to his cake. 

"Was your birthday everything you hoped it would be?" Sungyeol asked as he leaned onto his younger boyfriend. He looked up with prodding eyes as he patiently waited for Myungsoo's answer. He looked way too sweet for his own good. 

Myungsoo hummed with a large smile and looked down at the slight elder, "It was almost perfect. But," he paused to motion Sungyeol closer with his hand. Sungyeol obeyed and lifted his head higher as Myungsoo leaned closer to whisper in his ear. No one could hear what Myungsoo said, but when he finished, Sungyeol's face brightened in a dark, rosy red and a timid, embarrassed demeanor. 

Myungsoo is such a ert. 

When everyone finished their cake (by the time that happened, Woohyun was already on his second piece), they all cleaned up and set their plastic plates and forks into the trash bin waiting for them inside. 

When everything seemed calm, Sungyeol spoke up, "Hey, Myunggie," a sweet voice replacing his annoying, loud one. 

Myungsoo hummed and turned to respond to his elder boyfriend, but he di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter