Pillar

1994

Chapter Six: Pillar

 

 

It was midnight when Baekhyun finally received a call from his soon-to-be ex-husband. He'd been trying to get through to Chanyeol to check up on his youngest's well-being all day since Chanyeol's outburst over the phone but the latter hadn't been picking up any of his calls. Baekhyun presumed that Chanyeol had purposely blocked any incoming calls to get back at him for forgetting their son at the hospital. Knowing that Sehun had probably been brought back to Chanyeol's apartment for the night, Baekhyun wanted nothing more than to grab his car keys and head down to see to it that Sehun was alright but he couldn't possibly leave an exhausted, sleeping Jongin behind, not after the incident in the afternoon. Chanyeol would truly lose any morsel of faith he has left in him and he was certain Chanyeol would use the incident to his advantage when it comes to claiming custody over their children.

 

When Chanyeol finally returned his frantic calls, it is begrudingly and tone harsh, unsurprisingly.

 

"Sehun doesn't want to speak to you." Chanyeol's cold voice resounded in Baekhyun's ear where he had the phone pressed, both hands tightly clutching at the device as if it was the only thing he could do to not break down over the phone.

 

"...Can I at least wish him a good night?" Baekhyun asked in a small voice, not trying to conceal the desperation in it.

 

"No," Chanyeol's reply came shortly, and if Baekhyun didn't know better, there was a scoff in that single syllable, "I've put him to sleep. You can talk to him tomorrow."

 

There was a small pause, in which there was contemplation on Chanyeol's part and before Baekhyun could even think of what to reply to that, Chanyeol beat him to it, "Actually, I think he should stay with me for awhile."

 

"Baekhyun, I know we're not exactly on good terms right now but Sehun did tell me something disturbing before he fell asleep. I don't want to upset you but I think you should know this."

 

Baekhyun swallowed hard at the seriousness in Chanyeol's tone, his ears peeled as he braced himself for what was to come, a sense of foreboding sitting in the pit of his stomach.

 

"Sehun told me he hates you, Baekhyun. And I don't think he's going to forgive you anytime soon."

 

Baekhyun could hear the sound of his heart breaking in the defeaning silence that followed, suddenly unable to breathe from the suffocating feeling that had engulfed him. With a shaky okay, he bade a goodnight to Chanyeol who hangs up without another word before crawling under the covers of his empty, lonely bed. He shut his eyes before any tears could escape and like always, he wished for the pain to be over.

 

+++

 

On the other end of the line, Chanyeol abruptly ended the call, not willing to wait for Baekhyun's response to the heartbreaking words their son had spoken of his father. He could only imagine how devastated Baekhyun must be right now, but that was really none of his concern anymore. Baekhyun had brought it upon himself and Chanyeol wouldn't go as far as to say he deserved it, but he believed that there was bound to be consequences for recklessness. 

 

As he splashed some cold water onto his face, he started to think of the separation that was to come. There was the pressing issue of custody over their kids. Chanyeol didn't want to think about it but with the way things were going, it looked as if the fight to win their children over had begun. He turned off the lights and sauntered to his bed with a small smile at the satisfying thought that he currently, without a doubt, had the upper hand in the divorce and the custody. He slipped into bed and scooted till he felt the warmth emanating from a small form under the duvet, letting his lips search their way to the boy's cheek in the dark. 

 

"Chan... thanks for giving me a chance." A quiet voice called on the other side of the bed. Chanyeol reached over and blindly searched for a hand that was not his own, intertwining his fingers with them when he finally located it.

 

"No, I should thank you, Dae. It's the first time Sehun has opened up to anyone. I can't believe you managed to get him to like you in a few hours."

 

"Well, what can I say? I'm husband and father material, aren't I?" Jongdae boasted playfully and Chanyeol let out a soft chuckle.

 

"Someday, Jongdae. We'll get there."

 

+++

 

Baekhyun awoke in cold sweat and eyes swollen and red. He cursed at himself for succumbing to his weakness the night before and struggled to get his heavy eyelids to open. When he finally succeeded, he found himself peering at the figure of a skinny man at the foot of his bed, a deep, disapproving frown etched into his features.

 

"Yah, Byun Baekhyun. How did you manage to develop a fever overnight?" Yixing chided as he moved to the side instead, setting down a tray of food and water. Baekhyun tried to open his mouth to speak but it hurt to even utter a word so he just managed a weak protest, hoping it would suffice to get Yixing off his back about falling sick. It doesn't, of course, as Yixing continued to fuss over the sick man, placing a cold pack on his forehead and shoving some water down his throat. 

 

"How'd you know I'm--" Baekhyun's question was cut off by a thermometer that's being unceremoniously put into his mouth, effectively shutting him up.

 

"I received an unexpected call in the morning from dear Jongin, terrified as to why you were trembling and mumbling and-- ahem-- crying-- in your sleep." At the news that he had terrified his son, Baekhyun sat up with a look of horror, only to be pushed back down onto the pillows by a hand to his face.

 

"Don't worry, Jongin is fine, I rushed over and calmed him down. I've sent him on his way to Kyungsoo's but not after assuring him that you're in good hands a.k.a Yixing's wonderful healing care." Yixing beamed at Baekhyun who returned a small smile, visibly relaxing at Yixing's satisfying explanation.

 

Baekhyun knew Yixing was b with questions, he could tell by the countless number of glances the Chinese male threw in his way as he fed Baekhyun, up till the moment he fluffed the pillows for the nth time. It's when the bowl was empty and Yixing was perched by th side, eyeing him with wary eyes that Baekhyun finally snaps.

 

"Alright, Xing, just ask me what you want to know already." Baekhyun grumbled just as Yixing grabbed at his hand. Baekhyun doesn't like the slight frown and concern written all over Yixing's face. 

 

"What happened last night?" Baekhyun averted his gaze down at his fingers that were playing with the top of the covers, not wanting to pursue the subject of yesterday's incident. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw Yixing being distracted by his mobile phone that peeked from under a pillow. Curiously, he watched the Chinese male retireve it from it's hiding spot to browse through its contents. 

 

"How long has it been?" Yixing asked in a characteristically soft voice as he returned the phone and took one of Baekhyun's hand in his own. Caught off guard at the question, Baekhyun threw his friend a look of confusion. 

 

"What do you mean, how long?" 

 

"Why do you torture yourself like this? Chanyeol is my best friend but even I think he's an . He doesn't deserve your tears and loyalty." Yixing declared fervently, making Baekhyun crack a smile, albeit one that was bitter.

 

He gently retracted his hand from Yixing's hold. With a voice so quiet and earnest, he replied, "Because I still love him, Xing. I can't stop, no matter how many times it hurts me to see it in his eyes that he no longer feels the same way about me."

 

"Call me foolish, Yixing hyung, but Park Chanyeol..." Baekhyun sighed, "That boy will always have my heart."

 

Yixing held back his own sigh. He picked up the phone by Baekhyun's pillow and replayed the video that must have been played one too many times in the night.

 

"I'm guessing you'll never delete this, then?" 

 

Baekhyun reached out to take it back, running a finger over the close-up shot of the wide silly grin on the screen. "It's the only thing I have left. If it means watching it on a screen if I ever want to see it again, then I'll take what I can get."

 

+++

 

Chanyeol decided that they should all stay in today, opting to take a day off work and making Sehun miss a day at school. Jongdae had already had the day off beforehand so that was all the more reason for them to stay home together. It wasn't very responsible of him but he figured he wanted to treat his youngest to something sweet after what the little one had been through the day before so he ended up making some pancakes the moment he awoke, not bothering to change out of his pjs. It was his last pancake of the mix when he felt a pair of arms snaking themselves around his torso from behind and instinctively, he reached out to pull the owner of the limbs flushed against his back. A hoarse giggle was muffled against his sweater and Chanyeol would have laughed along if not for the wave of nostalgia that fleetingly brought him back to a time when Baekhyun would greet him with the most beautiful sound of laughter when he attempted to make them breakfast on the weekends. Chanyeol turned off the fire and whirled around just to check that it's Jongdae, his newly termed boyfriend, and not his estranged husband. He must have looked dazed because Jongdae was lightly tapping at his cheek to call his attention.

 

"What's wrong babe?" 

 

"Ah..."Chanyeol shook his head to clear his thoughts. "Nothing. I just thought I heard Sehun. He's still asleep isn't he?"

 

Chanyeol's assumption was trumped when a s little thing appeared by the doorway, small hands rubbing at his sleep covered eyes.

 

"Hey there, baby," Chanyeol greeted with a warm smile. "I made you pancakes. Are you hungry?"

 

At the mention of pancakes, the tiredness in his eyes faded to make way for that of excitement, a wide grin gracing his lips. He bounded over to his father with light steps, the grin getting wider as he neared the plate of sweets. Chanyeol enveloped him in his arms as soon as Sehun was within his reach, picking him off the ground and setting him on one of the chairs before taking the one beside him. 

 

"So, what do you want to do today Sehunnie?" Chanyeol asked conversationally, taking a huge bite from his pancake. He scooped up the remaining and fed it to Sehun who accepted it willingly. Looking to his father with mouth stuffed of pancake, Sehun gave a small shrug of his shoulders. 

 

Chanyeol thought about it for a moment before he spoke again, "Do you want to... to go home to daddy?" He had a theory to test, one he was glad someone as young as Sehun couldn't understand. Jongdae, on the other hand, found it difficult to keep the smirk to himself.

 

"No," Sehun said after awhile, his eyebrows deeply furrowed as he swallowed his food with a hard stare at the air in front of him.

 

"Good. Because Appa's special friend likes playing with you and he was wondering if you wanted to spend time with him again today." Chanyeol explained, catching Jongdae mouthing the words "thank you" at him from across the table. Sehun's mood considerably changed at the request, his eyes lifting to meet Jongdae's.

 

"I like Appa's special friend." Sehun declared earnestly, earning himself a pinch to the cheek and a chuckle from Chanyeol.

 

"I like you too, Sehunnie." Jongdae reached over to hold out his pinky finger so Sehun could link his own. "Remember my promise about being your new daddy?"

 

+++

 

Despite Yixing's reminders and (empty) threats for Baekhyun to be on bedrest the whole day, Baekhyun still went about with his daily tasks, choosing to busy himself with dinner instead to distract himself from his own thoughts. He knew Jongin would come home with an empty stomach and after his failure to be a responsible father to his children the day before, Baekhyun felt the compelling need to make it up somehow. That's how he ended up preparing a table full of food that was ready right as Jongin walked through the front doors.

 

"Daddy did you cook?" Jongin rushed to grab a seat at the table, hands reaching out for the chopsticks on the side. Baekhyun gently swatted his hands away with a small tsk.

 

"Just for you, Jonginnie. But you need to wash your hands first." Jongin jumped off his seat and rushed to the sink to do so before returning with the wide grin still plastered across his face. For the first time in a long while, the dinner table was alive with laughter and conversation. It was only the both of them but the house was filled with the echoes of their jovial mood, and for that Baekhyun felt his heart grow lighter with every smile Jongin threw his way.

 

They were doing the dishes when Jongin brought up a subject that had been on his mind the whole afternoon.

 

"Daddy, there's this competition coming up," Jongin started conversationally, accepting a glass Baekhyun had washed. He sneaked glances at his father as he wiped it dry.

 

"What kind of competition?" Baekhyun asked. He already knew where this was heading and he didn't think he really wanted to know what it would mean for their current situation.

 

"It's a battle of the bands. And I've been chosen to represent the school as the main guitarist," Jongin announced in glee. Baekhyun handed the last of the dishes to Jongin and proceeded to turn off the faucet before he diverted his attention to his son with a smile.

 

"That's great! I'm so proud of you, Jonginnie!" Baekhyun held the boy's face in his hands and gave him a smooch on his cheek. Jongin placed the glassware into the cabinet and pointedly wiped at his cheek with the back of his hand, pulling a face.

 

"Ew, daddy! You got saliva all over my face!" Jongin cried, although a little playfully, and Baekhyun couldn't help but to laugh. He gently ran his hand over the boy's cheek in an attempt to wipe it away.

 

"I'm sorry," Baekhyun chuckled, "You were asking for it."

 

Jongin stood on his tiptoes just then to sneakily place a kiss to his father's nose. Baekhyun was caught off guard at the gesture but he managed to pull of a look of mock horror.

 

"Did you just get back at me?"

 

"Now we're even!" Jongin laughed boisterously, the sound going right through Baekhyun's heart. Jongin definitely took after Chanyeol.

 

"So when's the date for the competition?" Baekhyun asked, changing the subject as they plopped themselves down onto the couch for some tv time. Some music show was on, and Jongin turned up the volume to listen to a song he fancied.

 

"It's in seven weeks. But daddy..." Jongin gave his father a furtive look, now playing nervously with his hands.

 

"What is it?" Baekhyun probed, though he was already quite certain what was to come.

 

"It's going to be at Jeju island, and everyone has to pay for the trip themselves."

 

A trip to Jeju island wasn't that expensive, to be honest, but Baekhyun wasn't working and he had no source of income of his own. Asking Chanyeol to fund Jongin's trip was definitely out of the question since Baekhyun needed to do all he could to win back his childrens' trust and affection. There was no doubt that he was way behind Chanyeol on this one and if he wanted to get custody of both Sehun and Jongin, he knew he needed to act wisely. Sehun was already mad at him as it was, and Baekhyun had not a clue how he was going to win back his youngest's trust but here was an opportunity presenting itself to him. He couldn't just let it go.

 

There's the issue of Sehun's medical bills. He needed to prove that he was just as capable as Chanyeol was to provide a good and stable life for his children, and what better way than to have a bank account full of savings for the future? Now, he just needed to set up his own account and find a way to fill it up.

 

Baekhyun snapped out of his thoughts and looked to his son with a convincing smile, "Don't worry, Jongin. I'll pay for everything."

 

+++

 

"Baekhyun, are you sure this is a good idea? Who's going to take care of the children at home, then?" Yixing asked when the younger male had run his idea by the lawyer.

 

"You and Kiko?" Baekhyun asked with a meek smile. Yixing shook his head wearily.

 

"I'm kidding," Baekhyun quickly said, "Of course I don't want to bother you, Xing. I was thinking... Jongin is already old enough to take care of himself. Sehun..."

 

Yixing looked up to see the same, familiar sadness glazing over in Baekhyun's eyes. "You know about Sehun. Chanyeol bans me from seeing him, and it's not like he wants to stay with me anymore. So I guess it's a good thing. For the time being, at least."

 

"And how, may I ask, is Chanyeol going to care for Sehun? He's working office hours with OT every other day. When does he have the time to settle Sehun's needs?"

 

"He told me he's already signed Sehun up for the child care classes at the hospital he goes to. Sehun doesn't seem to mind it. He says he likes the friendly nurses and teachers there," Baekhyun explained. He had thought this through. It wasn't just reckless impulsiveness on his part.

 

Yixing chewed on the idea in his mind for awhile. "Mmm, okay. What about you, then? Where are you going to find a job?"

 

Baekhyun sighed. Now this was the difficult part in his plan. The part where he needs an actual job so he could put money into his savings account. It shouldn't have been this tough. It's been almost a week since he had decided on working after that small talk with Jongin about his school trip. But with someone who had little to zero qualifications and experience on his resume, not many employers were keen on hiring him. He'd tried asking around schools, if they needed extra help with the staffing, but they were all full. He'd tried going around cafés and restaurants since he did have experience in the food and beverage line, but none had offered appealing wages. He needed a job that paid well. Maybe something he was good at? Jongin's trip was in a few week's time and there was no way he could save up enough in time for it. Not unless...

 

Baekhyun felt disgusted with himself for even thinking it, but the more he thought about it, the more tempting it sounded in his head. And before he knew it, he had convinced himself that it wouldn't be too bad. That it was something he had to do. Anything to fix the broken ties with his children again.

 

+++

A/N: To all those who have stayed with this despite the horrifying lack of updates, I can't thank you enough. Recently I've been getting inspiration for this and I'm gonna go all out with the angst. Huehuehue. Really though, it's turning out a little cliche but i feel a lot when i write this.

 

I guess you all can tell what's going to go on in the next chapter. (: