Actor Kim Jong Woon

My Leading Man

Yesungs P.O.V

SME Press Conference

I’m really nervous addressing the press. This is my first appearance since I’ve gotten discharged and with the media snapping their pictures incessantly I am trying to hold myself together. I take a seat at the center of a long table with my manager on my right and Seosaengnim Lee Soo Man on my left. I grab the microphone and start my press conference.

“Thank you for attending this press conference.  I will only be answering a handful of questions and then I will be leaving for the US right after to find my leading lady.”

Reporter #1:  Yesung, what made you decide to take on the lead role of an American movie when your fans have been patiently waiting for your comeback with Super Junior?

“Well although I have missed my E.L.F’s and Clouds dearly, I couldn’t just pass up this opportunity.  I have expressed my interest in acting; Bill Condon is a phenomenal Director who by chance took a look at my limited acting abilities via SNL and my musicals.  I took a look at the script and I feel that this role is perfect for me.  My members give their full support in my decision.  And even though I’m shooting this movie for the next three months I’m hoping that my fans will wait for just a little while longer until they see me on a stage again.”

Reporter #2:  Is there any doubts about taking on a project like this after just being discharged from the military?

“Of course there are doubts.  Being cast in a foreign film as the male lead and speaking English are my greatest concerns.  Will I have the support of fans and even the average person in general to grab their attention to watch this film?  But all I can do is give it my best and hopefully everyone will support me.  That’s what I’ve learned since being in this industry.”

Reporter #3:  Any thoughts on having a rookie actress as your leading lady?

“Well I’m very fortunate that the director agreed for me to be involved in casting my female lead.  We both agree that the chemistry is what will make this movie a success.  I can’t give any details of the script, but I will say that although it may seem like the cast is inexperienced; our goal is to convey the story through a beautiful movie.  I believe in my fellow actors, director, and movie production team into making this movie Oscar worthy.”

Reporter #4:  You are considered the King of OST when it comes to Korean dramas.  Any thought about lending your voice to the soundtrack of this movie?

“That still needs to be discussed.  I’m sure if the right song comes along that fits my voice I will jump at the chance.  But I’m learning that the productions in the US are different from here.  Songs are chosen during post production, meaning after filming, so I’ll leave that question up in the air for now.  English movie debut and English song debut, I don’t want to seem too greedy.”

There is laughter filling in the room after my last comment and I can finally breathe.

LSM:  Okay, Yesung needs to head to the airport now.  Thank you all once again and please look forward to Yesung’s American film debut. 

I then stand up, the media takes a few more pictures and then I head to the van and head to the airport. It’s going to be a long flight, hopefully I can rest comfortably and won’t be jet-lagged. During the car ride I look through my I-pad and read the comments about my movie project. The reviews are mixed; I get annoyed at the insulting comments and turn off my I-Pad.

“Manager hyung, are you sure that this is the right move for my comeback?”

Mgr:  It’s been two years out of the spotlight.  Although you kept your fans updated through twitter, you need to show something more.  You weren’t getting offers here cause everyone is looking for a fresh face through the idol pool, overseas activities is your only shot, we are just lucky that the director took a chance on you.  Don’t screw it up and don’t create any scandals with your leading lady.

I laugh at his remark. “Please, I think a scandal is the least of my worries; I would never fall for a foreigner.”

Mgr:  Well USA is culturally different, and the script might be too risqué which might stir into shocking news over here.  Just be careful, if you do well it could lead to a solo album in the near future.

“Okay hyung, thanks for believing in me.” I can’t screw this up, this movie will hopefully launch me back into my music career.

 

13 Hours later

I touched down in Los Angeles and headed straight to Warner Bros Studio for the auditions.   I noticed a very long line of young women ages 21-35, some were even holding Super Junior signs.  I just hope that the process is not going to take too long. I am immediately escorted to meet Bill Condon to go over the strategy in casting.

“Wait so we aren’t even reading from the script?” They really don’t want the story leaked I thought to myself.

“Nope, I’m going to let you do the short interview when they walk in and then they will just recite to you a line showing the emotion we want.” Bill replied.  “You will then tell me whether or not you feel any chemistry.  If you do we will call her back for the second round which will include reading part of the script.”

We both head into a room the size of a small classroom with a camera guy and sit at a table and awaiting the first batch of actresses to come in. I know Bill has taken a huge gamble in casting me as the lead, but also to let me be a part of the leading female casting has sort of put another burden on me. Chemistry is key….will I be able to find my leading lady?

 

                                                  *******************************

a/n: I know I'm slow in updating....I still have a bunch of "scenes" that I want to work into this story, please be patient with me and don't abandon this story.....leave some comments :)