Hanging On

Breath of Life
"Goal!" Daehun shouts as he scored again. He runs around exited while I smile at him. 
 
"Are you ever going to let me score one at least?"
 
He stops in place "I have." he laughs "You're just not good at aiming." His smile reaches his eyes. 
 
My lips smack apart and I chase him. "Oh yeah?"
 
He knows I'm going after him so he runs away and back into the house. He begins to apologize knowing that once I catch him, I will attack by tickling him.
 
"Misung" He hides behind her "Help me"
 
She smiles at me and places her hand on his small head. "Be nice Daehun." She chimes, then her eyes meet mine. "Mr. Oh wants to speak to you, he's in the study room."
 
My smile soon dropped. I've had a few conversations with Sehun's father but never a one where we would be alone. I nod and begin to make my way as I felt extremely uneasy.
 
 
 
I knocked even though the doors were wide open. He looked up and gave me a small reassuring smile that I wasn't in trouble or anything...at least that's what it seemed like. 
 
"Take a seat Hayoung" He smiles as he places his paper work to the side and finished typing something on his keyboard before looking at me again. "How are you?"
 
I politely smile "I'm well thank you. How about yourself?"
 
"I could be better." He nods and smirks, the same way Sehun does. "Don't worry, you're not in trouble." He lightly chuckles "So, lose that face." He pauses "I just wanted to personally thank you for everything you've done, for both of my boys."
 
As much as I respected Mr. Oh, I personally didn't want to have this conversation. I've cried too much and each day that passes something always has to remind me about Sehun's condition.
 
He continues "I know this might be too much to ask but whatever your plans are in the future, please don't forget about Daehun. He's going to need someone and even though my wife and I will be there, we know it won't be enough for him. He loves Sehun, he's always loved him. He always copied him, followed him around, and at some point tried dressing the same way." He chuckles to the memory "He's never been this close to anyone like he is with you. Not even with Chanyeol, Kai, or Tao, and they've known Sehun much longer."
 
This touched my heart. I knew Daehun seemed to like playing with me but I never knew he cared for me. It made me realize how much I love this little boy.
 
He clears his throat. "I'm not trying to make you be responsible for him but I do hope you can keep in touch." 
 
The room went silent and he looked sad. He's a father who is preparing himself for the worst and trying his best to find a way to take care of his other son. On top of that, he's juggling with work and making sure his wife is sane. It looked like he had it all together but deep in his eyes, he was in pain and he was suffering. He was screaming for help without letting anyone know.
 
I smile "I'll never leave Daehun, I promise that."
 
I never break my promises and I meant the words with all my heart. Daehun wasn't going to be some little boy that I grew close to...if anything he turned right then and there into my little brother, a brother I never had a chance to have. 
 
 
 
 
When I walked out, I knew it was time for Daehun's piano lessons so I figured to finish up my homework while he played. I walked back to the T.V room where all our friends were. The guys stayed in their same positions playing their video games while Sehun watched. He caught a glimpse of me and smiled, never looking away. 
 
"Done flirting with my little brother?" He teases
 
I chuckle as I grabbed my notebook along with my textbooks and sat next to him. He kissed my cheek and I turned the favor back but mine was on the lips. He smiles in appreciation and he returns a kiss on my shoulder. 
 
My eyes stay onto his for a while and I knew without him saying anything that he loves me. I mouthed 'I love you.' He took a deep breath and nodded with a sweet smile never leaving his face. Our gazes break away and when I look over I notice Saerin staring at us. Once she saw me catch her staring, she looked away embarrassed but sad at the same time. 
 
I inhaled deeply and exhaled it all out. I took out my phone to send her a message to let her know not to worry about anything, that I'm fine. As soon as I took out my phone I saw I had five unread messages, three from classmates, one from Haeryung, and one from Yixing.
 
 
 «Messages                 Lay                     Contact       
                             text message
                           Today 5:44 PM
 
You look like you're doing better. 
 
 
                           Today 5:47 PM
 
                          Better than before, still trying
                          to hang in there though.
 
 
 
 
"Are you still talking to what's his name?" Sehun's voice makes me put my phone away. 
 
I smile "Lay-Yixing."
 
He nods "Mm." He pauses "Is he still going to Daewon?"
 
My phone vibrates but my attention stays on Sehun. "Yeah, why?"
 
"Just asking." He gives me one of his small smiles. I was about to ask him again but Chanyeol's loud voice caused me to forget.
 
"!" He shouted "Are you ing kidding me?"
 
Kai couldn't stop laughing and Kris clapped in amusement. 
 
"My parents are home idiot." Sehun chuckles under his breath but it looked like it tired him quickly. He distracts me by trying to continue the conversation with the guys, I knew he wasn't okay but he acted like he was. The boys were playfully bickering. 
 
I took advantage and looked at my phone.
 
 
 
                         Today 5:51 PM
 
I've been working on something.
I want you to hear it soon.
 
 
            Text Message                         Send 
 
I wasn't sure what he was talking about so I ignored his message for now and listened to everyone try to lightheartedly insult each other. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Duck Sauce's It's You-free drinkz x FootwoRk Retwerk remix was playing in my mom's studio. I followed the music that was coming from the room. When I reach the spacious dance floor, I watched Sehun teach Daehun a specific step. Once D caught onto it, Sehun counted out loud.
 
"5, 6, 7, 8" He starts and Daehun follows his lead. I already know that Sehun looks amazing when he dances, yet he still managed to take my breath away. As I saw the two dance I noticed that Daehun wasn't six years old anymore, he looked sixteen. 
 
My eyebrows frown and through the mirror I double checked to see if it was little Daehun and the reflection showed it was him, he looked exactly like Sehun. 
 
"Guys?" I call out
 
They kept dancing and as I got closer, I saw Sehun smile at his brother and without saying anything he walked passed me. He didn't look at me once. I turned around as I saw him walk. 
 
"Sehun?" I call after him but he doesn't respond to my voice. 
 
The music stops and my attention goes back to Daehun. Suddenly my mom's dance studio turned into Sehun's. 
 
"Daehun?" I call out but he didn't respond.
 
His breathing is heavy and he stops to catch his breath. He walks passed me as well, like if I wasn't there. My body turns to watch him leave the room.
 
"I miss you brother." His voice was deep and it had the same tone as Sehun's. He turns the light off and leaves me alone in the dark room.
 
 
 
My eyes shot open and I realized I was in my room, it was a dream. The moon was lighting my dark room, I place my hand over my forehead. It was all a dream and even though it wasn't a bad one, it still made me feel unpleasant. I sit up and sniff my runny nose, I play with the necklace Sehun gave me. I checked the time, 1:22 in the morning.
 
For some reason my heart was tugging to call Sehun knowing it was too late. I debate with myself for a while but I grab my phone and waited as it rung. After the fifth ring, I was about ready to give up and just hang up.
 
"Cheon" His voice was hoarse "Are you okay?"
 
My heart skipped a beat as I heard his voice on the other end of the phone call.
 
"No," I pause "I can't sleep."
 
He lightly chuckles "I told you to stay with me tonight. You would have slept better."
 
Even though he didn't say anything to make me cry, I just felt really emotional. My tears ran down my cheeks and I was glad that I actually wasn't there in his room for him to see me like this.
 
My small laugh hides the tears I don't want him to hear. "Tell me a story." 
 
It was easy to detect that he had a smile on his face even though I couldn't physically see it. There was a long silence until he finally spoke up.
 
"There was this boy" He pauses "who couldn't fall in love but did...."
 


 

"Don't do this Sehun." Misung said softly "Think about what you're doing."

 
"I already did." I respond as I kept packing "I'm doing everyone a favor."
 
"By leaving without saying anything, not even to your parents?"
 
"I don't want to have to say goodbye to anyone." I pause as I stared at her. "Misung, I can't. I'm not strong enough to do that." I look away "Running away now will help everyone deal with this a lot easier."
 
"Don't deal with it alone." She places her hand on my wrist. "Stop acting strong." Her eyes began to form tears. "Be vulnerable. I know you Sehun, I know the person you really are."
 
My heart couldn't deal with her right now, this is what I didn't want to see. I didn't want to see the people I care about hurt. 
 
I reach inside my front pockets where once particular item always stayed in, the infinity bracelet.
 
"Give this back to Hayoung. I know she won't reject it if it's coming from you." 
 
She stares at it and she didn't want to take it either.
 
"You still work for me." I added without being rude.
 
She takes it and nods. "Is this also the reason you're leaving? You don't want to deal with that girl?"
 
"Promise me you won't tell her where I'm going when you give this back." 
 
She stared at the bracelet and back at me. Her fingers rubbed the infinity charm.
 
"Misung," She looks up at me "Promise me." 
 
"Promise." She whispers "What should I tell your parents when they notice you're gone?"
 
"Just let them know that I did it because...I love them. They'll understand. " I nod to myself "Then tell Daehun we'll see each other again when it's his time."
 
She nods as well "Please, before you leave...think this over one more time."
 
Without saying anything else she walks out of my room and I stay alone to finish throwing in the final pair of clothes. I shut my suitcase and placed it down. I took a deep breath as everything came to mind. The thought of me never seeing anyone again scared the out of me. I didn't want to leave but I knew at some point I was anyway. 
 

 

Hiiiiiiiiii my lovely subscribers--readers! Thanks again for the amazing support. Well, I'm officially back in school, break is over for me. Thanks again for being really patient and understanding, I love you all sooooooooo much, no joke :)
Anyway, I just had to add Sehun dancing with Daehun, I hope you guys liked it even though it was a little sad. For those who saw Sehun's dance solo for SMTWEEK- you know where I got the song from, from that Yehet bastard <3 The way he dances is too amazing! Psh, 'lazy dancer" my !  
 
I love you all, thanks again for everything. Seriously, words are never enough to show you how thankful I am for A L L of you xoxo