Rescue

Breath of Life
Everything turned out exactly how I imagined it, maybe even a little better. The venue was beautifully decorated. It was modern but had a hint of an old fashion classic style incorporated. The tent was see through so it was easy to see the starry-night, which was my favorite part. The DJ was playing great music and surprisingly the older crowd seemed to be enjoying themselves.
 
I saw Kyungri walk in with her lovely white cocktail dress and Saerin looked just as gorgeous as her. I smiled, waving at them and noticed all the boys walking right behind. They were dressed formally but not the typical tux wear. They all looked so handsome that they could definitely be in the front page of a fashion magazine. 
 
My eyes moved looking for Sehun and he wasn't with them, my smile quickly faded.
 
"Thanks" Chanyeol teases as he pulled me in for a hug "It's good to know you only care about one person." 
 
I chuckle "Why do you have to be so dramatic?"
 
When Chanyeol was done hugging me, Kai took over "Don't worry, we called him and he said he'll be here in ten minutes."
 
Sehun putting time on things? That's a first. I smile at all my friends as we greeted and hugged each other.
 
"I have to admit" Kai places his hands inside his black jean pockets "This looks really ing legit" He locks me in a neck hold and rubs my hair with his knuckles.
 
I laugh and I didn't mind, luckily my hair was down in lose curls so it was easy to fix.
 
"Hey guys" Yixing waves at all of us and we greeted back 
 
"Laysters" Chanyeol pulls him in for a quick hug and pulls away quick as he like everyone else notices a pretty young girl next to him. "Who's your friend?"
 
"Lin" He replies 
 
I knew that wasn't his sister because she looked completely different. She warmly smiles at each one of us and introduces herself.
 
"How do you know Lay?" Kyungri smiles
 
"We used to date." She comfortably admits 
 
So she must be Yixing's ex-girlfriend. She was absolutely lovely and I was glad to see that he stayed friends with her after what she had done to him. It made me really appreciate the kind of sincere and loyal person he was. It just showed that he won't ever judge or hate someone for their mistakes. 
 
"Which one of you is Hayoung?" She asks
 
I smile and bow "I am"
 
She bows back and smiles at Yixing "XingXing told me what this is for"
 
XingXing? I couldn't help but to think what a cute nickname that was for him.
 
She continues "I can't tell you how much I admire you. My mother is deaf and to imagine kids at a young age suffering from hearing problems or sickness, it's really heartbreaking. Especially when you know someone, it makes this event the more meaningful." 
 
Yixing looks at me as if he was concerned for what she said because I do know someone and he knows exactly who it is.
 
"Thank you" I smile "That's all I want. I want people to recognize these amazing kids I got to meet. Hopefully influence more people to want to help make them smile and give them strength that they sometimes lose."
 
She nods "I think that's awesome." 
 
I really liked her and it made me wonder how someone so sweet like her can slip up and cheat on Lay? I mean it wasn't my place to judge but it really made me curious. I let the thought go as I realized and hoped that they work on getting back together. Their personalities just clicked and they looked really good together.
 
"I have a table for all of us" I smile and lead the way.
 
All eight of us took over each chair around the table. I didn't think Yixing would bring someone so she took Sehun's chair, I didn't mind because it wouldn't be a problem adding one more chair.
 
As we had our small entree we all really tried getting to know Lin. The more I got to know her the more I was convinced she was the sweetest girl ever and witty. She easily got along with everyone and deep down I felt happy. This is what Euaerin mentioned and she was right, Lay will be happy again. I just hope it's Lin who makes that happen for him once more.
 
"Don't worry" I hear an all too familiar voice whisper next to my ear "I'm here"
 
I smile and when I look at him, there was something different about him. He seemed a bit fragile.
He quickly kisses me causing me to look around, hoping no one saw. It was never appropriate to show public display in front of elders.
 
I notice a small piece of misplaced hair and fix it in the right place that was sleekly combed to one side. When my fingers brush against his forehead, I felt something wet. It was sweat. It wasn't hot and we were outdoors.
 
"Are you okay?" I ask
 
He nods "I ran over here"
 
I carefully observe him but he didn't seem to be panting. "What's wrong?"
 
He chuckles but it was off "Nothing" He kisses my lips once more and it made me look around once more. 
 
"I can't have anyone see us like that" I giggle 
 
"Got it" He nods, understanding and there it was again. Something different about him.
 
"Here, sit while I go ask someone to bring an extra chair" I stand up but before I do I notice Euaerin walking towards our direction. There was a cocktail-server walking behind, holding a chair and placing it down wherever there was room.
 
She smiles "It's good to see you again...Sehun?"
 
He bows "It's good to see you again Mrs. Cheon"
 
She chuckles "Euaerin is fine." She pauses looking at me with content "Hayoung mentioned you will be giving a speech? We'll be starting soon so would you like to follow us?"
 
He nods and looks over at me, gesturing me to walk ahead of him.
 
 
 
 
 
I was more nervous for him than he was for himself. I had no idea what he was going to say but I trusted him that he would take this serious. He used to do public speaking at our school in debate class so I'm sure he'll do just fine.
 
"You're on soon angel" Euaerin kisses my cheek and wishes the both of us the best of luck.
 
When she's gone I turn to look at Sehun "Ready?"
 
He nods but it looked unsure. I was about to ask for more time but the tech team told me to step on stage. Although I didn't set a time management for all of this, I was still responsible. If I was told to do something, I was going to listen. I let go of his hand and walk upstage.
 
I hear everyone clap as I walked up to the podium. I smile and bow at each part of the audience. The press and interviewers were mostly upstage and I felt millions of flashes per second. I fix the mic as I waited for everyone to take their seats. I took that as my cue to start.
 
"The Youth Program at Seoul's National University Hospital is a wonderful program where one can reconnect with what life is really all about. It makes you step back from your own reality and enter someone's who knows nothing about you but will somehow care for you."
 
I notice a few smiles from the woman and the men, but most business men just stared. I look at my parents and my dad nods at me, giving me confidence.
 
"Dr. Choi Kyutae opened this organization to really give these young kids a sense of hope again. I have to admit when I saw Dr. Kyutae play with the children it gave me hope that my elders can still be young and fun again."
 
It wasn't meant to be funny but it made a few people laugh and it just made me feel a bit better about my speech.
 
"Sometimes we forget how precious life can be and we forget how lucky we are that we're able to make it each day." I pause "I'm not trying to make it seem like the Youth Program will make you feel pity, that's not the purpose behind this event. The Youth Program is meant to make you feel good about how wonderfully happy these young children are despite their fate. At first I did feel uncomfortable but as I got to know them, they made me find a few things that I didn't know about myself. It's a beautiful thing how the young eye can see a different perspective of life."
 
I nod "As the representative of this amazing organization, I don't see it as any other Charity or volunteer program. I see it as a home, my home." 
 
The audience doesn't hesitate to applaud for me and it felt great to know that I was really reaching out to people. I really hope this makes people really want to care for this program as much as I do. 
 
I continue once it's settled and quiet again "I would like to welcome a very special speaker who has a personal relationship with these beautiful young kids. Please welcome, Oh Sehun."
 
I clap for him along with everyone else and he smiles but hides it. He walks up and readjusts the mic and slightly nods his head as the press went crazy with their cameras.
 
"How can I compete with that?" His voice echoes out from the speakers once everyone allowed him to start and a few chuckles instantly arose. "I don't want to repeat myself but I can tell you that these kids are to be admired." He pauses "They might not face our personal daily struggles but they do fight a battle." He pauses "They, they will change your life and––"
 
My eyes narrow as I noticed him close his eyes and his hand strongly grip on the podium. He tries speaking again but nothing was able to be put in a sentence. A few whispers amoung the crowd was taking place. 
 
He squeezes his eyes "I'm sorry" He slowly turns to walk away and before I can reach him, he collapses. A few screams and gasps came from a few. I run to him, my heart in shock.
 
"Sehun" I kneel down and grabbed his head. It rested on my lap as I tried to call his name, hoping he would wake up. "Sehun"
 
I see his father and Chanyeol appear on stage.
 
"Call the paramedics" His father shouted
 
I recognized Dr. Kyutae's voice as he rushed towards the scene.
 
"Step back please" He warns us but I didn't  listen "Hayoung, I'm going to need you to step back."
 
Chanyeol picks me up and hugs me. I see Sehun on the ground, my biggest nightmare coming to reality. Tears escaped down to my cheek. It's not supposed to happen, not right now, not today. All I could think about is that he'll be okay, that I hope Dr. Kyutae can save him.