From Now On

Breath of Life

The night sky was taking over as Lay and I were walking on the concrete side walk near the open stream that Cheonggyecheon was known for.

I smiled as I took a spoonful of frozen yogurt and enjoyed the savoring mango taste.

“This is fun” I smile “It’s been a long time since I’ve been here.”

He removes his spoon away from his mouth “Then, I’m glad you liked it”

When he turns to face me with a smile, I can’t help but to giggle.

“What?” He asks

“You have” I point with my finger on my upper lip as I stared at the light dot of frozen yogurt on his. He uses his tongue but it doesn’t work.

“We should have gotten napkins” I smile

He takes his wrist and wipes it off “Gone?”

I nod suddenly getting a flashback. The time when Sehun took my finger and outlined his lips for me to wipe away his patbingsu and for some reason that feeling I felt in that moment with Sehun came back, taking over my body.

Lay doesn’t notice my distraction and continued the way until we ended finding a spot to sit. As I looked around at my surroundings, I admired how the lights complemented the creation of waterfalls in the river bringing memories back to when my mom used to bring me here as a young girl. It warmed my heart and it made me feel bad for forgetting this place. It made me remember why my mom loved coming here, it carried ease and comfort, something that Lay brought to my life again.

“Can I tell you something” I look over at him and he nods “I don’t think I’ve thanked you enough for everything you’ve done for me.”

“It’s been a month since your audition” He chuckles “You don’t have to thank me anymore. You never had to, to begin with. I wanted to help so it was never a problem.”

“Not just my audition.” I tuck my lips in with nerves rising up “Believe it or not, the way things were going for me felt messy. Nothing made sense. I was confused most of the time.”

I shake my head, shivering to the overwhelming time Sehun made me go through.

My words continue “I think you came at a right time.” I look away embarrassed of my confession “I don’t know how I can ever make that up to you.”

There was a long pause between us.

“You did the first time I met you.”

My eyes look up to his and they were warm, they were always warm when he looked at me.

“I thought” He pauses “I thought ever since my girlfriend cheated on me that I wouldn’t be able to trust another girl again.” He looks away.

His words caused my heart to beat rapidly, a feeling no one was able to do but Oh Sehun.

“When my family moved here, I came with the mentally to focus on school and not worry about finding anyone to fix what was broken” He chuckles “Sounds corny but it’s true. I felt betrayed and hurt that someone could just go ahead and do something like that. Then you came along and changed everything for me again.” His eyes meet mine again “You made me feel something I never thought I could.” He smiles “I like you Hayoung and not just as a friend.”

My cheeks turn pink and I don’t mean to ignore what he just told me but I didn’t know how to react to it so I placed my spoon inside his small plastic bowl to steal some of his frozen yogurt.

I hear him chuckle “Do you think you can give me a chance or did I just ruin our friendship?”

His watermelon flavored frozen yogurt slid down my throat as he asked the question. I didn’t feel awkward, it didn’t feel different or strange, so did that mean I always had feelings for him and I never knew about it?

“If you reject me, I’ll be completely fine with staying as friends.” He smiles “If you wouldn’t be comfortable around me I’ll also understand and give you your space”

Thinking about his offer made me wonder how my life would be without Yixing. At this point, as a friend or something more, I can’t imagine him out of my life.

I remove the spoon that stayed inside my mouth this whole time and answered him.

“So I guess Sumi was right” I laugh

He raises both eyebrows as he stared at me in confusion “About what?”

“That a relationship can start off with a friendship” I smile

He scoffs with a pleased smile and his eyes were brighter than they normally are

“So, does that mean?”

I nod “It means, you’re going to need a lot of ideas when you take me out on our dates”

His dimple surfaced, never failing to make my smile reach my eyes. It was a sincere confession. I was willing to give this a shot. Regardless if my heart did belong to Sehun it also found a way to allow Lay to find a place.

“Do you want to go catch a movie?” He asks

I nod “Sounds good to me”

We get up and when I finish wiping my back pockets I feel his warm hand lock fingers with mine, I stare down at it and surprisingly it felt natural. Those sincere brown eyes meeting with mine and his beautiful trademark in sight made me feel giddy inside.

We smile at each other and walk back down the concrete sidewalk, this time more than friends.

 

 

 

 

Lay parks his car out in front of my mansion, coming to open the passenger door for me.

“I told you, you didn’t need to bring me back at ten” I smile

“—and I told you I didn’t want to disrespect your father” He smirks back

I nod my head and lightheartedly roll my eyes at him “I get it, this is your polite way of saying you don’t want to hang out with me anymore.”

He tickles my side and a giggle escapes from my lips

“Trust me, if it was up to me you wouldn’t even come back home”

I notice a different side of Lay, his flirtatious side and I kind of liked it. When we reached the front of the double doors he doesn’t hesitate to pull me in.

“Sleep good” He kisses my forehead “I’ll see you”

He walks back down the stairs and I wave goodbye to him. I wait for him to get back inside his car and watch him drive off. I bite my lip to prevent myself from smiling like an idiot. I walk back inside, heading up stairs feeling that things from now on will definitely be for the best.

Once I open the doors to my room I turn the lights on and I feel my phone vibrate. I chuckle wondering what Lay will be calling me for right now. My smile instantly disappears when I see Sehun’s name on the caller ID.

I start to fluster, my heart is ready to burst out of my chest, and my breathing goes unsteady. A strong part of my mind is telling me to ignore it but my stubborn heart makes me answer.

I press the button that I will eventually regret “Yeah?”

His deep voice didn’t help my heart “Hayoung” He pauses “I need you”