Guilty

Breath of Life

Working on homework at Sehun’s mansion wasn’t strange anymore, I was starting to like it and it was nice taking breaks when Daehun would want to play with us. I check the time and I knew that at any minute his little voice would barge in and right on cue, there he was.

“Hayoung” He smiles running towards me and gives me a hug “Let’s play” He takes my hand ignoring Sehun and I couldn’t help but to smile

“That’s fine, I don’t want to play or anything” Sehun says it in a playful sarcastic way

“Okay” He chimes being completely clueless that his older brother was joking. We walk out of the study room and his little hand continues to lead me down the hallway.

“What do you want to play?” He asks

“Whatever you want” I smile even though he can’t see it

He looks back at me “Soccer?”

“Sure” I knew it would be soccer, it was always soccer.

 

 

 

We kick the ball back and forth to each other and trade to score.

“Hey Daehun, do you think you can help me out?”

I have his full attention

I smile “What does your brother like?”

“Soccer” He shouts with a big smile on his face

I nod “Besides that”

He pauses, thinking it through “Dancing”

I knew that information but it wouldn’t hurt to keep asking.

“Does he dance a lot?”

“Not anymore. He doesn’t use his studio anymore.”

Studio, he has a studio?

“Do you know why?”

He shakes his head. Then, his parent’s aren’t against him dancing if they managed to give him his own place. So why did he stop dancing?

“Do you know where his studio is?”

He nods “I’ll show you”

 

 

 

 

Daehun opens the double doors and the sunset beams through the big spacious glass windows. I was speechless. As I walked further in I got a closer look out the windows, the view was disgustingly perfect. My mind was blown away.

As I looked around I was trying to add up everything. His uncle knew something, Sehun admitted he stopped dancing, but this just didn’t seem to be the main reason why his grades went down, there has to be more behind all this.

“Mom told me to never come in this room” Daehun’s little voice makes me turn around, reminding me that I was with him “But I wanted to show you”

“Why?”

He looks away shyly “I want you to make him dance again”

“What makes you think I can make him?” I lightly chuckle amused with his thought

He shrugs and his mood changed. “I just want to see my brother dance again.” He puts his head down and it broke my heart, Sehun’s decision to stop dancing clearly affected him.

I wasn’t sure what to do but I squat down to reach his eye level.

“Maybe he will one day” I didn’t want to give hope when I myself wasn’t sure if he would.

He keeps his head down “It’s my fault”

“No” I bring my eyebrows down and sooth his little back “Why would you say that”

“It is” He pauses “I always make him play soccer with me and I get mad if he doesn’t”

I lightly chuckle, how cute can he be “I promise Daehun that has nothing to do with why he stopped. He loves you very much, more than anyone in the world”

I knew I was saying the truth, Sehun might have no admitted it to me but I was able to tell just by getting to witness their strong brotherly bond from the very beginning when I saw him care so much for his little brother.

Without warning, Daehun surprises me with his tiny arms around my neck hugging me. I felt bad that his little mind felt responsible for something he had no fault in.

“You know what will make you feel better?” I ask getting an idea “If you come with me and help me pick a birthday present for him this weekend, are you up for it?”

His little face meets my eyes and his sweet smile returns and nods a yes to me.

 

 

 

Freshly showered I crossed my legs as I sat on my bed, sending text messages to Saerin and Kyungri about what to get Sehun. They really weren’t helping and hopfully Daehun could be more of a help this weekend.

A knock makes me look up and my dad walks in. I smile surprised to see him home early.

“Hi” I beam with joy as he walked up to give me a hug

“Studying?” He teases since he saw my worksheets scattered on my bed but I was focusing on my phone. I smile and put it down. He chuckles “Euaerin told me she met your boyfriend?”

“I don’t have a boyfriend?”

“But you have a boy…who is your friend” He pauses “Who was your date for the charity event”

“Dad” I chuckle

“Is it serious?”

“We’re taking it slow”

He sighs “Keep it that way” He takes a minute to himself “Have you been practicing?”

Now it was my turn to sigh “Yes” I fake a smile

“I’m very proud of you for doing this again Hayoung” He kisses the top of my head “I made sure to leave May 23rd open.”

“Dad” My breathing starts to get uneasy and my heart beats out of control “How would you feel if I didn’t want to go to K-Arts?”

I didn’t dare to look at him and as I waited, I felt like it took forever to get a response.

“It’s been a dream of yours”

“But what if my mind changed, would you be upset?”

I bite my lip and pull myself together to make eye contact with my father who’s worked so hard to make this happen again for me.

“No” He softly smiles “I wouldn’t.”

My room stayed quiet for a while until my dad sat down ing his blazer.

“You applied to SNU”

My heart stops, how did he find out? “How do you know?”

“I’m your father, even though I’m busy, I check up on you Hayoung.” He pauses “I’ve known this whole time. I just didn’t want to say anything until you did.”

I look away, ashamed for keeping this a secret for a while.

“I understand. If that’s where you want to go, I’ll allow it.”

Our eyes meet and I’m about to thank him but he starts speaking again

“I also know that you’re afraid” He lightly chuckles “You’re just like your mother, never being able to hide your emotions well, easy to read like an open book.” He pauses “SNU is a great, great school but I know it’s not the person you are inside. Your dream has always been to be like your mother. Ever since her accident you’ve changed into a complete different person. Sometimes I feel like I’ve failed you, like I didn’t do enough to remind you—”

I politely interrupt him “You didn’t fail me. I failed you.” I pause trying to control my shaky voice “I took mom away from you. It was my fault for making her rush to see me. I hate that stupid audition, if I wasn’t so concerned about it and if I didn’t make a big deal about it, she would still be here.” I pause “I should have never told her.”

“You are not responsible for anything” His voice was strong “I don’t want you to ever blame yourself again. Do you understand?” He pauses “Don’t stop yourself from dancing because if you do, you’re taking your own happiness away.” He caresses my cheek “Don’t forget why you love to dance, don’t lose your passion. I know you’re a fighter, you got that from me.”

We both share a laugh making the atmosphere a little lighter. I sigh and reach for him, wrapping my arms around him tightly. As he embraced me I thought it through. I got flashbacks to when I was a little girl, watching my mom be happy when she danced, how beautiful she looked, the first lesson she gave me, and all the memories of me growing up admiring her. She was my inspiration of the woman I wanted to become and I know she would never make herself feel unworthy. I nod to myself, thinking if my mom was here she would tell me that I am worthy. Somehow, I believed in myself and it just made me want to kill this audition, for her.