Misunderstandings

Breath of Life

The room was dark with nothing but the dancing lights rotating around to Matthew Koma’s Parachute Krazy Kat remix that was covering the entire room with the crazy upbeat. Everyone was doing their own thing, keg stands on one side, drinking games on the other, and five different beer pong matches being the center of attention to some. Saerin and I danced in the crowded room having a good time. At this point Saerin was intoxicated and I was taking it easy. I poured water in my cup tricking them to make it seem like I was drinking so she or Kyungri wouldn’t force me to take any more shots.

Saerin takes my hand dragging me with her somewhere.

“What?” I scream over the music

She turns her head “Bathroom” She shouts back

 

When she’s done a group of guys from our school approach us. They start talking to us and as they make us laugh my eyes drift over to a familiar figure. I spot Sehun talking to a really pretty girl with short dark hair. She was speaking really close to him and he was softly smiling to whatever she was telling him. There was something about the situation that made me insecure. I focused my attention back to the guys but it didn’t take long for my eyes to look over at the two who were now sharing a laugh.

My night cannot consist based on him “Let’s take a shot”

Saerin stares at me and smiles “Sounds good!”

We walk towards the bar with the guys following us while another talked to me about his swimming match but he stopped when Kai placed his arm around me. I look over feeling bad for Kai’s action, it made the guys leave us and walk away.

He removed his arm when we reached where the two boys were drinking. Saerin didn’t waste any time letting them know our plan. Chanyeol got the glasses ready and Kris poured. I smiled at how sweet Chanyeol was for handing us chasers. Kris hands me a glass and when we’re all set we clink the shot glass together and don’t waste anytime drinking them down.

I immediately took a sip of my sprite until I no longer felt the vodka after taste. While Chanyeol and Kai made a face and shook their heads, I silently giggled to their reactions and took a sip of my water. I can only imagine how it tastes straight up and I knew it wasn’t a pleasant one. From the corner of my eyes I saw two people approaching us, her and Sehun. I act as if I didn’t see them my lips realizing I didn’t want to be here when they did.

I smiled at everyone “I’ll be right back” I don’t waste any time leaving them behind and to avoid Sehun I walked the other direction. I just wasn’t mentally prepared to see him act a certain way with others, especially to another girl.

I had no idea where I was going but I kept wondering around until I spotted Haeryung playing beer pong with Ryu Hyunjin. As soon as I approach her she jumped in place excited while others cheered her on. I’m guessing she made it since Ryu was starting to aim.

“Hey” She squeals the moment she spots me and hugs me, taking me by surprise.

I smiled and noticed she was on a good one “Hey Ryu”

He smirks at me “Sup Hayoung” he places his attention back at the game and he misses the cup.

“How many games have you played?” I ask her

“We’re undefeated. 6-0”

6 games! Oh yeah she was definitely buzzing. I laugh, never thinking that Haeryung had a little wild side. I notice she only has two cups as well as the other couple.

“7 after this” She giggles

All of a sudden everyone went crazy when the other girl made it. There was anticipation for everyone then many different voices shouted in shock when the guy made it in the same cup.

I drop my jaw. That means if she and Ryu mess up on their redemption her winning streak is over. Ryu encourages Haeryung but she gets nervous so she makes him go first. He takes a few good seconds and when he aims at the cup everyone cheers. Now the pressure was really on for her. She looked so cute next to Ryu and she shared a look with him, he nodded and after taking a deep breath she finally goes for it.

“No!” She shouts and that was it, game over.

 

 

 

It was clear that Haeryung needed to sit for a minute and drink water. I took her to the kitchen and she thanked me about seven times or so. She kept apologizing which I wasn’t sure why, it’s not like she was throwing up and if she was I wouldn’t have minded taking care of her. Besides I knew what to do at this point since Saerin and Kyungri got me used to it.

“So what’s the deal with you and Ryu?” I smile changing the subject to make her stop worrying about being a ‘-throw’. In fact I was actually curious, they looked really good together.

She puts her water bottle down and a grin makes her face light up “I mean, we’re talking but he hasn’t like officially asked me out on a date. We’ve been hanging out a lot though.”

Whenever I had a conversation with someone I always liked putting my full attention and I disliked it whenever someone would immediately talk about themselves right after you’re done speaking, making the whole conversation centered on their problem like if yours didn’t matter.

Sadly, I was one of those people right now. It’s not that I talked over Haeryung but my mind was thinking how I had the same situation. Well, technically Sehun and I weren’t talking the same way she was with Ryu. Knowing Hyunjin he was most likely sweet to her and not changing his mood every single freaking minute. I roll my eyes, annoyed with myself. Even when I’m away from Sehun I still manage to think of him.

“What?” Haeryung asks “Do you think I should do something about it?”

I was confused to why she would ask but she probably mistaken my own gesture towards me as if I was referring it to her.

“No” I chuckle “I was just thinking about something.”

“Sehun?”

I was shocked to how blunt she was about it.

She softly smiles “The whole school has been talking about you two, what’s the real deal?”

I shake my head “I’m just in charge of his academics.” I wasn’t even sure what the deal was, there was no telling how he would feel one day or the next.

She smiles at me skeptically “So there’s nothing between you guys?”

I wasn’t going to admit that I liked him for all I know he probably didn’t feel the same and how embarrassing would that be if someone overheard my response and made sure it got around to Sehun. There was no doubt that the word would spread fast not because she would say anything but because looking around I knew some nosy sneaky people that would. I was about to respond back when Ryu politely interrupted, good thing too.

“How are you feeling?” He asks her

She smiles “Better especially since Hayoung took good care of me.”

Ryu looks at my direction “Of course, she never fails.” His smile reaches his eyes

“Right, aren’t we all waiting for that to happen?” I freeze as I heard a recognizable voice.

We all stay quiet for a moment but Haeryung was the one to break the silence with her laugh.

“Maybe she should write it on her planner.” Sehun adds

Haeryung’s laughter starts to disappear suddenly realizing it wasn’t funny anymore after his comment. I continue to ignore him, not wanting to stare at him even though his comment infuriated me. It was obvious there was tension, I notice Haeryung clear .

“Want to try and see if we get our title back?” She asks Ryu and he nods “I’ll see you later Hayoung” We smile at each other even though mine wasn’t as big as hers.

My hands rest on top of the island counter, tapping my fingers on the cup that was in between my hands.  I catch him turn his body over so his lower back was being supported by the kitchen island, resting on it. He fixes his eyes on me and I hear him lightly chuckle.

“You know I was just kidding right Cheon?”

I face him “No, actually I don’t.” I snap “Do you feel like joking tonight or getting mad at me?”

He through his teeth and smacks his lips apart “I feel like playing a game”

“Well, have fun by yourself”

His wrist hangs over his mouth covering his smile and removes it after he composes himself “You don’t want to have fun with me?”

I remove my hands away from the counter preparing myself to walk away “Why don’t you go have fun with that girl who was all over you earlier instead.”

As I walked down the hallway, the boys including Saerin and Kyungri were heading towards me along with the girl I just mentioned. The girl had her arms around Saerin as they laughed together. Chanyeol quickly pulls me in, wrapping his arm around my neck and rubs my head.

“We’re doing another round little one”

When he turns me around he takes me to the place I just left with Sehun right in front of us.

“Perfect” Chanyeol smiles “Want to take a shot with us?”

Sehun nods and the giant’s arm goes over my head as he walked towards a cabinet. I stand in place watching Saerin laugh with the girl.

“ Yura” She catches her breath “How do you come up with that kind of crap?”

“Probably from me” Chanyeol comes back with different shot glasses placing them down.

The girl Yura replies with a smile “I’m sorry but I’ve been boarder line hilarious way before you.”

“If that floats your boat, if that makes you happy, then yeah sure, okay I guess.”

As I stared at her the more I felt insecure, I looked away thinking she really is beautiful and on top of that she is charmingly funny. No wonder Sehun is attracted to her.

She walks up to him getting on her tippy-toes pinching his cheeks. “Don’t be jealous”

Chanyeol chuckles under his breath and looks over at me realizing something.

“Hayoung, you haven’t met my sister yet have you?”

All I can do is wrinkle my forehead, sister?

Yura smiles waving hi to me and I wondered if Chanyeol knew about his own friend and sister?

“Nice to meet you” I smile

She nods “Are you in the same grade as everyone else?”

I smile nodding a yes to her and Sehun stands next to me leaning in towards the counter that everyone was standing around in. I know I shouldn’t be mad at him for talking to other girls because I had no right to be, he was single and was free to do whatever he wants, but it was just that stupid smirk on his face that made me want to punch him.

“What’s wrong Hayoung?” Kyungri’s question makes everyone put their attention on me. “You look mad?” She knew me too well and at this moment I wish she didn’t. Sehun looks at me standing back up and I avoid contact.

“Just a little” I confess “It’s nothing though, he’s clearly just immature.”

Chanyeol quickly adds “Who? We’ll kick his !”

Please, that would be perfect. I think that’s what he needs to stop taking everything as a joke.

Now that I think about it. “I’ll be sure to do it myself when I get the chance.”

 

 

 

After everyone took five rounds of shots we all walked out back by the pool area but Sehun pulled me to the side, we sat on the lounge chairs while the rest talked by the pool bar.

We sat there without saying anything, it was awkwardly quiet.

“Why are you acting weird?” He asks

I look over at him and scoff. Is he serious? “Are you seriously asking me that?”

“Is this about the joke I made about your planner?”

Can he be any more oblivious? Actually he can. “What do you want?”

He laughs “, you’re really mad about something. Why?”

I couldn’t even understand why. I wasn’t sure if I was mad that he was talking to me after flirting with Chanyeol’s sister or the fact that he has something going on with her and I was stupid for considering having feelings for him.

“Why did you drag me over here with you?”

“You said I can hang out with you when you’re not busy”

His words made an interpretation of something clearly different than what I thought he meant. He’s just messing with my mind, I know he can’t like me when he has Yura and in the state of mind I’m in, I can’t afford to look stupid believing he wants to be with me just to be with me.

“Do you want to get out of here?”

He breaks away my thoughts as he looked deep into my eyes with his own set of stupid brown eyes that turn warm and soft. I hated them the most right now. Stop making me fall for you even more face!

“What about Yura?”

He stands up “What about her?” He smirks “Come on Cheon”

He takes his hand out for me to grab but I sit there staring at it. I pull my eyes away focusing on the ground, debating whether or not if I should take it. I would feel bad if some girl left with someone I liked so why would I do it?

His voice was soft “Do I have to make another offer to have you come with me?”

“Do you think what you’re doing is funny?” I look up at him “Does Yura know you’re going to leave with another girl?”

He his lips “I don’t need permission to leave, she’s not my sister.”

He used the term sister, so that means there was nothing more than a brotherly sister relationship between the two? I can’t just assume that.

“You guys aren’t…” I feel my cheeks turn red “dating?”

For the first time I hear him laugh really loud “Chanyeol would murder me if I did.” He pauses gesturing his hand for me to take that I left hanging.

Suddenly, I felt really stupid. I wish there was a blanket I could grab and just cover my face in utter shame. How embarrassing.

“Are you going to make me wait?”

“Where would we go this time?”

“You’ll see”

I stare at those piercing eyes that used to throw me back that are now pulling me in. My hand finally takes his and when our hands touch, my heart beats abnormally fast. He quickly lifts me to my feet with one pull that brings our bodies together. I can’t help but to swallow my dry throat and share a look with him. I catch his eyes staring at my lips, he lets go of my hand and both our eyes lock to one another again. By surprise he didn’t react like he did earlier today, instead he smiles and walks off with me following right behind.