Closer

Breath of Life

Sehun took me to the café he brought me to last time grabbing a late night bite.

“Won’t we get caught?”

He finishes chewing before he answers “Nope”

I lightly smirk “You’re pretty confident in that”

He takes a sip of his water “It’s the weekend, by Monday they would have gotten over it.”

“But even if you got caught Principal Kim wouldn’t do anything about it” I tease

He takes another bite of his food nodding his head in agreement. I pause wondering how the word can easily be spread about something so small at school but no one knew this information.

“How did you manage to keep it a secret?”

He his lips, his eyes meeting with mine “Distraction. People will always see what’s in front of them but they’ll never step back and look at the whole picture.”

I look away softly puckering my lips smiling at the same time as my eyes squint. I was kind of confused to what his response had to do with my question.

I lean in taking a closer look at Sehun and after a few seconds I pull back. His eyes were looking around unsure to what I was doing.

I nod my head “Yup, you’re keeping a secret”

I hint that my words disturbed him but he covers it with a smile.

I continue “Am I wrong?”

He puts his fork down and leans back “Why do you think you’re right?” He asks softly

“Well, how does someone who was class president for two years go from being top ranked student in our graduation class to having the lowest GPA at Daewon Elite?” I pause “No one can just go missing for a month of school and come back with such a drastic change?”

He stares at me for a good while until he shrugs his shoulders breaking away our eye contact.

“That’s life.” He continues eating again “Change. People come and go.”

“Then how do you explain not caring?”

“Why don’t you explain to me how you can care so much for every detail?”

I my lips shaking my head “You wouldn’t care” I say it in sarcastic playful way

“Well, how does someone go about their day letting a planner control their life and freak out if nothing goes right?”

I take a deep breath and exhale it out.

“I don’t know, I just” I pause “I mostly do it for my mom.”

“What, does she get upset if you’re not perfect enough?”

“She died in a car accident four years ago.” I pause “I was never like this. I used to be fun and spend my days messing around. When she was alive, for the most part I ditched her to do other things. I never shared any of my accomplishments with her taking her for granted. I hated myself when she passed away…I was wasting my time having fun instead of making her proud of me. So since then I promised that I would get everything done and not waste time.”

I chuckle because I didn’t know where this came from, how I was so openly comfortable talking to him about this. It makes me fight off the tears that were midway, not close enough which I was thankful. It would have been really embarrassing if I started crying.

Sehun breaks the silence “But you’re wasting your own time. You have a whole life ahead of you and the way you’re choosing to live it…” He stops himself “You should just feel grateful that you’re still here.”

I nod “But you can never be so sure.” I pause biting my lip “You can see someone today and the next they can be gone.”

My eyes rest on the table as I think about the day of my audition. That morning I never got to tell her I love her, thinking I would see her after.

“I just want to be perfect to give in return the things I never did when she was around.”

I look up and notice Sehun staring at me. I clear my throat a little embarrassed that I gave him heavy information. I realize that it was weighing down the atmosphere.

 

 

 

 

Sehun parked right out front of my mansion. I turn over to look at him and smile.

“Goodnight” I place my hand on the door handle about to open the door

“Did you have fun?”

I stop my motion and stare at him. “Yeah,” I nod “I actually did.”

“Now you know that it’s okay”

I raise my eyebrow and lightly chuckle. I was about to ask him what he was talking about but he beats me to the punch.

“You didn’t check the time at all.”

Now that I think about it, he was right. Even though I didn’t have anything planned I would have still kept track of time to see if I had enough time to finish something or to make sure I don’t stay out to late so I can be up early for the next day.

“What are you doing tomorrow?”

I softly laugh “What don’t I do?”

I catch him smile “Can I see you later?”

His eyes were fixed in front of him, not looking at me. As I stare I replay the night in my head and how for the first time I actually enjoyed his presence.

“You know where I’ll be” I smile “Goodnight” when I step out I give him one last stare and close the door. I watch him drive off and walk back inside the house.

When I close the double doors behind me I rest my back with a stupid cheeky grin on my face. There was something about tonight that made me realize something. I didn’t need to have a plan within a plan, I was perfectly fine and I felt like I had the time in the world. As I admitted that to myself I felt lighter and finalized that I’m going to try to go about my days without following my schedule. Next thing in the morning I’m going to cancel every private lesson I have for good and limit my extracurricular classes. I nod as it felt right, I walk upstairs ready to get a goodnight sleep and prepare myself for a big change.

 

 

 

I was stretching and I smile when I see Sehun walk in my mom’s studio. He looked down shyly smiling and I was thrown off by his gesture.

“So, I was thinking” I pause “I really liked how you edited it down for me last time. I was wondering if you could create a whole new choreograph for me.”

I get on my tippy-toes and my feet fall flat again, hoping he will say yes.

“I can’t do that” He takes a seat on the floor resting his back behind the full length mirror.

I cross my arms “It’s the least you can do for me” I smirk and surprised by my own confidence

He puts his hand in a fist and covers his smirk “I’m already giving effort to do my work.”

“You’re black mailing” I chuckle “You have to give me something in return for sacrificing my own time, studies, and energy to make sure you’re on track. This could be a thank you gesture.”

“You can’t make me”

“You know what” I grab my wireless speaker and begin to walk out “I just won’t let you hang out with me and you can do whatever you want from now on.”

He stands up “Fine by me”

He wasn’t supposed to respond that fast. I step in front of him trying to stop him.

“No,” I whine as I couldn’t contain my laugh “No. Can you please just help?”

I try giving him a smile hoping it would convince him and he stares at me, his cold brown gaze turned soft and warm. I couldn’t control my smile to reach my eyes, I knew I got him.

 

 

 

Sehun finally picked a random song.

“We can improv” We stand face to face “Start off and I’ll try to add something and we’ll continue with that process. Then we can add counts to moves that fit well together.”

“Sounds good” I smile

I stood there for a few seconds feeling the rhythm and trying to feel the music. I immediately recognize the male’s soft voice with the piano playing in the background.

Forever you’re mine. Baby I’m addicted, no lie, no lie…

I start moving my feet to Sam Tsui’s cover, each step in sync with my arms. Then there was a pause and the beat picks up a little quicker.

When you’re ready come and get it, na na na…

I notice Sehun quickly adding his own moves. I pause watching him, paying attention to his foot work and how he moved perfectly with the music. I was mesmerized by how cool he changed from one dance step to another, it’s like it was effortless for him. He seemed like he was getting lost into his own world. He smoothly transitions to a stop.

I tried remembering the moves he came up with but I started to over think all the moves at once. I smile and scoff. He stands behind me and takes my arm. He helps me get started.

“Don’t think of the next step” He whispers close to my ear. I nod. He steps in front of me now and starts dancing around me. I can feel heat rise through my face and I look down.

After a second I gain confidence back, I begin to dance around him. We both somehow work around our movements exchanging looks with one another. I was surprised how well each of our steps fit perfectly together. We were both getting lost with the music.

He ended up getting behind me placing both his hands on each side of my waist. At the same time we move slowly. His chest was close to me and I felt his forehead resting on my head. I turn and our faces are close to each other. I turn around and take a step back as my hand rested behind his neck. He takes my hand and locks hands with mine. Our hands go over our heads, each hand going the opposite direction in a circular motion, quickly bringing them together back in raising them up to our eye level.

He slowly brings them down locking his eyes with mine. I wasn’t letting go of his grip and neither was he. Our breathing was about the same, trying to catch our breath. I couldn’t explain what just happened but as I stared I finally noticed him. His complexion was perfect and he had a visible scar on his right cheek. I can’t look away, I was admiring him for the first time and there was no doubt that he was beautiful.

He aggressively lets go of my hands and it breaks my thoughts away. He looks away annoyed.

“You don’t need me to help you.” His voice was harsh and without giving me another glance, he was walking out. I stood there unsure how to react to what just happened. I wasn’t sure how I went from hating him to thinking how he’s the most beautiful ed up person I’ve ever met.