Dear Diary

The Replacement

[Taeyang]

I couldn’t move from where I was sitting. I wanted to follow her and hug her one more time. I wanted to hold her in my arms and not let go. I wanted her to be with me, and I wanted to keep her forever. That girls’ hair, her height, her voice, and her smile – if I didn’t know better, I would really consider her to be So-Ah.

I felt Mitch’s arms surrounding my body tighter and tighter as each tears fall. Besides me, So-Ah was the closest to Mitch. “It’ll be alright,” she repeated. “Whatever it is just let it out” she continued. I nodded my head as I buried my head into her arms.

. . .                                                 

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay? I don’t want to leave you here and then I’ll see you again in a hallway breaking down into tears” Mitch said as I lay down on the bed in the nurses’ office. I nodded my head then gave her a reassuring smile.

“I’ll be back for you once my class is over, just rest up okay?”

“Go to class Mitch, I’m fine” I told her as I shooed her away.

I rested my head against the pillow, and was starting to doze off when the nurse walked in. I looked up and saw the nurse smiling down at me. She wasn’t our usual nurse, Mrs. Welch. She had shoulder length black hair, wearing the usual nurse clothing and she had dimples on both side of her cheeks.

“Did you need anything else?” She asked me.

“Where’s Mrs. Welch?”

“She resigned a month ago, I’m Ayesha, I’m also a student here but when I don’t have classes, I help here in the infirmary. I’ll let you rest up then.”

“Thank you” I replied.

. . .

“Pink, I’d love that.” She whispered against my ear as I contemplate between the white and red roses. She giggled a little before walking in front of me. “I’m sick of red roses Taeyang, changes are good.” She continued.

“But you’ve always love red roses,” I whispered. “Why the sudden change?” I asked. She turned her back on me then shrugged her shoulders a little.

“The atmosphere has changed now.” She ended.

And then I woke up.

I scratched my head as I stood up from where I was laying down. She spoke to me again in my sleep; it still feels like she knows what I’m going to do before I do it. I sighed to myself as I got out of bed. I walked the empty hallways and headed for the back of the school.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

[Isobel]

Once again I cut classes.

I really couldn’t stand my Chemistry class, not because I hate Chemistry but because I hate the people in the classroom. They are always so loud, and there’s this one girl who thinks she’s the smartest out of everyone else in the room. They are so lucky I haven’t been speaking up.

For the past two months I’ve been here, I have made one friend and that was the school Nurse Ayesha. I met her when I keep taking a trip down the infirmary when I would cut class – at least I have an excuse for the next time I decide I’d go to class. Ayesha’s the only one who knows that I’m related to the Kwon family, surprisingly not many knows who I am in this school; which I was grateful for.

“I knew I’d find you here,” I heard Ayesha’s familiar voice. I turned around and saw her smiling at me. I smiled back as she took a seat next to me. “You know you’ll never graduate if you keep ditching class.” She said as she hands me a bottle of drink. I nodded my head as I ignored her. “Tsch” was her reply. I giggled then stared back into nothingness.

As I stared at the horizon, I saw the guy who hugged me this morning walking passed. I stared as he sat on the tables near the basketball courts.

“Ayesha, do you know who that guy is?” I asked. She looked up and followed where my finger was pointing. She then nodded her head and said, “That’s Dong Youngbae, or Taeyang. Why, are you interested?”

I gave her a slight punch on the arm then laughed.

“No, I bumped into him this morning. He hugged me and called me his fiancé; I forgot what he called me but he’s a bit weird. Is he on drugs or something?” I told her.

She burst out laughing then shook her head.

“He called you So-Ah. So-Ah’s his fiancé; she passed away two months ago. She lost her two year battle of cancer two months ago. I don’t know much detail but all I know is he is pretty torn about it.” She explained. “Well, I’ll leave you to it, I have to go back to the infirmary” she ended before waving goodbye. I waved goodbye back then continued staring at this Taeyang.

I pulled my diary out and started writing.

‘Dear Diary,

Entry #104

Something weird happened to me today, I was mistaken as someone’s fiancé. He was a bit weird and awkward but for some reason I wanted to give him a hug when I saw him on the floor crying. I felt something inside me twist. I feel guiltier now that I have found out that the fiancé he mentioned had passed away, and I told him before to lay low on the drugs.

He looks so sad.

I’ve always thought, I’ve got it worse, I mean not knowing where I really came from and all that stuff but hearing about this guy – I now know I’m wrong.

I just want to walk over there and give him a hug, he looks so sad but that’ll make me weird too right?

Dong Youngbae, why does his name sound familiar…’

Before I can end my diary my phone rang. I looked at the caller I.D and it was from home, I quickly picked up, ‘Hello?’ ‘Yeah, I’ll be home right away’ I answered when Mrs. Kim instructed me to be home as soon as I can.

I closed my diary and made my way out of the school.