I Love You Forever

The Replacement

[Taeyang]

 “So-Ah, please don’t be stubborn. Just drink your medicine; it’ll help you feel better.” I insisted. So-Ah shook her head stubbornly. I dropped the cup of water and the tablets onto the table followed by a sigh.

I’ve known So-Ah all our lives and she still hasn’t changed one bit. She’s the most stubborn girl I know when it comes to taking care of herself. She doesn’t believe in drinking medicines to make herself better, she’d rather just sleep it off.

Although So-Ah has a stubborn side to her she is probably the kindest girl I know, or will probably know. She was always the warmest out of all the people I know. She has the smile that can light up the world. I’m so blessed to have her as a best friend and as my fiancé.

“Babe, why are you still not used to me not drinking my medicines? All our lives it has been you and I, through sickness and in health,” she said while chuckling. “You are still too damn cute when you get so worried.” She continued while extending her hands towards for me to hold. I grabbed her hand without hesitation, and held onto it.

“You’ve got all the time in the world to take good care of me,” she said with a faint smile. “Well, I hope you do.” She continued. I looked at her confused but she shook it off then pulled me into a hug. “I love you forever.” She whispered against my ear.

. . .

“What do you mean she’s worse?” I asked.

“We’ve done all the tests that your mum asked us to run during the two days that she’s been admitted here. All the results show no sign of improvement since the last time we’ve tested her. I’m sorry Taeyang but I don’t see her getting any better anytime soon.” Dr. Choi explained.

Honestly, I couldn’t understand a word the doctor just said, or maybe I just didn’t want to understand. I was so afraid this day would come, the day where I’d be left with little options.

“Are you telling me that she’s got no chance against this?”

“If she didn’t refuse drinking her medicines, and went through all the tests to monitor her progress, I have no doubt we could have prevented the spread of her cancer.” Dr. Choi replied.

Up until now, after two years of knowing about So-Ah’s cancer – I was still indenial about it.

“All I can say for now is for us to hope for the best.” Dr. Choi suggested before walking out the room.

. . .

I sneaked inside So-Ah’s room quietly trying hard not to wake her up. I tiptoed towards her bed then sat by her side. She looked peaceful sleeping on her bed. She was breathing deeply just like when she sleeps with me. She still looked beautiful even though she sleeps with a little bit open. She adjusted herself from where she is sleeping then opened her eyes when she’s facing me.

“Hey handsome,” she started. She examined my face for a while, and held my hand. “Not so good, the news?” she asked after realising that something wasn’t right with me.

“Don’t you worry, about it too much; just promise me that from now you will listen to what I ask of you and what the doctors will say to you okay?” I told her just to keep her calm.

She giggled then said, “Mr. Dong Youngbae, I’ve known you for almost all my life, there is no need to hide anything from me. What the doctors have found in all those tests, my body can already feel.”

I felt a tear escape my eye. As much as I admire her being strong, I can’t and won’t accept that I’m losing her. So-Ah grabbed my hand and squeezed it tight followed by a reassuring smile.

“With or without me babe, your life is definitely going to be great.”

“I don’t like the thought of not having you around.”

“I won’t leave you, I promise.”

“So-Ah, I’ll hold you on that promise,” I replied while shifting my position to kiss her on the forehead. “I love you forever.” I said.