The Wedding Breaker

The Wedding Breaker

 

        “Yes, eomma. I just arrived at my apartment complex… yes, I know. I’m sorry I couldn’t go visit you but I have so many things to do. I’m sorry.”

        Nina listened as her mother spoke on the other side of the line. It was almost ten o’clock and she had just arrived to her apartment complex. She made her way out of the basement parking lot and to the elevator with her handphone glued to her ear.

        “….you’re a woman for God’s sake!” she heard her mother say in the end.

        Nina sighed and rubbed her temple, making no attempt to punch the elevator button just yet. “Eomma, woman or man, I still need to work to make a living. And no, this does not mean that I have to settle down quickly and get my husband to do all that.”

        She heard her mother sigh in defeat and felt a twinge of guilt. Her mother had always wanted her to get married soon and had introduced so many guys to her, which Nina would turn down every time without a spare thought. I’m only twenty-three! She felt like she needed to enjoy life and gain more experience by herself before settling down.

        Well, that’s what she kept telling herself.

        Nina wouldn’t and couldn’t admit – even to herself – that she was afraid to get married ever since her parents divorced when she was just a child. She was afraid that it might be some sort of family jinx of theirs since some of her relatives were also divorced. She didn’t want to live that kind of life and preferred to stay single just to avoid the possibility of another divorce in her life.

        “Are you listening, Kim Nina?”

        Nina snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of her mother’s voice and sighed. “Sorry, I wasn’t.”

        “Are you okay, honey?”

        “I’m fine, eomma. Just tired.” Nina suddenly realized her surroundings and mentally groaned. She was still standing in front of the basement elevator and she’s been there for almost half an hour, talking to her mother on the phone. She quickly pressed for the elevator and got in when the door opened. “Eomma, I’ve got to go. Good night.”

        “Good night…”

        Nina leaned back against the metal box, waiting for it to stop on the 13th floor. Luckily, she was alone in the elevator or she would have to maintain her posture as a woman. The ride ended when it stopped on her floor and Nina turned left after stepping outside of the box. There were two apartment doors facing each other and hers was on the left side. She punched in her passcode and hurried inside, welcoming the warmth of her apartment.

        After taking off her shoes and unwrapping the scarf around her neck, the tired looking girl yawned and made her way straight towards her bedroom without bothering to switch on the lights along the way. The moment her hand reached the bedroom’s doorknob, something smooth and wet was plastered to her face, covering both and nose. She tried to scream but darkness engulfed her before she could even do so.

        “Well, that was quick. I’m proud of you, Zitao.”

        “Pssh, you make me sound like a kid, Yifan. Knock it off or I’ll wushu you.”

        Kris raised his eyebrow at the man before him and chuckled. “Fine. I was juct complimenting you for your hard work...” He then glanced at the girl who lay unconscious on his bed and smirked. “… and the success that came with it.”

 

        She opened her eyes and winced at the sudden throbbing at her temple. She hissed and groaned before gasping when she recalled something; her apartment, a weird smell and then… darkness. She took in her surrounding, which was dark since the lights were off, with wide eyes and felt her heart pounding painfully in her chest when she realized that she was not in her room. In fact, she was not in any of the room of her apartment. She didn’t recognize her surroundings at all, and she’s starting to feel afraid.

        Suddenly, she felt eyes watching her every movement and she abruptly moved her gaze towards the corner of the room.

        There was a chair situated there, and someone occupied it. She couldn’t make out who it was, but she knew it wasn’t something she should be looking forward to. From the silhouette formed on the floor due to the lights from the window beside it, Nina knew it was a man and it scared her more.

        “W-who’s t-there?” she finally found her strength to part her dry lips and whispered.

        The only response she got was a dark, menacing chuckle that sent shivers down her spine. She felt herself tremble as the shadow moved and the man got up from the chair. Nina could only guess how tall he was when he stood up and trembled more at the thought of it. When the man stepped out from the darkness and let the light from outside to reveal his face, Nina gasped and felt like fainting.

 

        It was the groom.

 

 

## Hi, cupcakes! Just a short update from me today... Yes, Nina and Kris finally met! To those who read the original novel, you might have a glimpse of what's going to happen next - unless I change it of course. You'll never know. So, what do you guys think of the update? Do comment and tell me what you think. Also, I'd like to welcome my new subscribers. And thank you for those who had left me comments. You guys make me so happy! Even if it's just a short comment, I still love it (yes, I am that desperate for feedbacks. I literally feed on them). Do continue feeding me with your comments, okay? By the way, I'd like to apologize if there are any grammar, vocabulary or spelling mistakes. My co-author, Bunjai, will be the one to edit those soon. I hoped you enjoy the update! Till next time, cupcakes! <3 ##