You Don't Like Me

L. Joe, My Secret Fiancé

L.Joe stood up and moved closer to Hana.

He wanted to do this. He has been confused of what he is feeling for her. It felt so weird. Weird that he wanted to be with her more. Weird that he wanted to more and see her pissed face. Weird that his heartbeat accelerates when he is with her.

It was that feeling.

That feeling when he first fell for Minji.

He knew. It was different, but the same.

All these ironies, all these contradictions.

L.Joe never felt this unsure of his feelings his whole life. Well, when he first felt this, he was sure he loved Minji.

But feeling this same emotion with Hana?

Could he tell if it’s love?

He didn’t like her. At all. He knows that. He hated that he has to be engaged to her. He hated that he has to go through this.

If this didn’t happen, he wouldn’t feel this way.

Maybe it’s because he is staying at the same house as Hana? Maybe it’s because he always sees her? She’s the last person he could see before he sleeps and the first person he sees when he wakes up.

Hell, how he wanted to feel that with Minji.

But right now, he didn’t know.

And this moment, he is looking straight into Hana’s eyes. All he sees is how she finds it absurd. This hell of a situation. It’s absurd.

“W-what are you talking about?” Hana managed to ask him with her shaky voice.

Shaky because her heart is beating too fast and L.Joe’s face is just inches from her.

L.Joe suddenly thought of the moment Hana was helping ahjumma in the kitchen. He was teasing her and they were this close.

He reached out for Hana’s face and his thumb on her smooth cheek. He shut his eyes because the moment he touched her, it felt so right.

He didn’t know why.

But deep inside, it really felt so right.

He opened his eyes again and looked at Hana. Oh hell, she’s beautiful. He knows that. But there is more to her. She has different personalities. Different from what he thought she could be.

Like when she stays up and make propositions and meeting plans for the student council.

Like when she was late for their Seafood Island dinner because she stopped by a fight between boys from their school and from another school. She even almost got beaten up if it hadn’t for L.Joe coming to her rescue.

Like when she tries her best at the things she isn’t good at – cooking and chopping vegetables, for example. She even fainted when she saw blood. Isn’t that too adorable?

Like when she is acting like she just did right now. Acting the best friend.

L.Joe didn’t even realize that he was starting to adore her simple things. He didn’t even know he started to feel different towards her.

Until that night she had dinner with Zico. Until that day in the hospital when she was cuddling with Zico. Until now that she is asking him to be good to her best friend.

It just doesn’t feel right.

He just felt that everything should be the other way around.

Hana should have dinner with him, not Zico. She should be cuddling in bed with him, not Zico. She should be asking him to be good to her, not Minji.

He breathed hard, then, looked at Hana again. “Kim Hana,” He started as he caressed her cheek.

Hana was so still. She was waiting for what he will say.

“Could it be…” His eyes trailed to her lips, her pink strawberry lips. He shut his eyes and composed what he is going to say.

He knows that if he says this, it will change a lot.

There are a lot of possibilities.

Hana could stay. Or Hana could leave.

Two scenarios that meant heaven and hell for him.

L.Joe opened his eyes and looked at Hana’s brown eyes once again. This time, he’s looking at her with all concern and worry and anxiety. He has the choice. And he chooses to be honest with her.

“Could it be that…” He paused once more. “…that I’m starting to like you?” He asked her.

Hana’s eyes widened in shock. He expected this expression. He doesn’t expect for an answer but he looks forward to what Hana will do.

Will she stay the same? Or will she act differently?

She shook her head at him. L.Joe seemed hurt. He knows she would act like this. He knows how she loves her best friend so much. But why did it still hurt?

“No, L.Joe.” Hana said, shaking her head, looking down. “You don’t like me.” She told him. “You’re just confused because we live under the same roof. You don’t like me.”

L.Joe watched her as she denied everything he feels for her.

He had never thought that this would hurt the most.

Hearing from someone that you have mistaken your feelings for her.

“Hana,” L.Joe called her but Hana shook her head.

“Byunghun, you love Minji. You love her.” She emphasized it to him. “You love her and you are going to stop with your cold shoulder on her, okay?” She looked in his eyes.

L.Joe kept mum. He wanted to tell her she’s wrong. That he really feels that for her. He really likes her. But Hana’s eyes told him that she doesn’t want him back. She doesn’t like him back. What can he do?

“I’ll forget about this, Byunghun. I’ll pretend that I never heard your words.” She told him as she stood up. “So please, make Minji happy, okay?” She smiled as she walked upstairs.

L.Joe took a deep breath as he watched her climb up the stairs. He shut his eyes to lat everything sink in. He got rejected.

Oh hell, THE L.JOE got rejected.

“Kim Hana,” He muttered under his breath as he threw himself on the couch.

--

“Ahjumma, did Byunghun go to school already?” Hana asked Ahjumma as she ate her breakfast.

The truth is L.Joe didn’t sleep in the bed last night. He slept in the couch, or somewhere else. Hana didn’t know.

Sure, she got worried about him.

Hell, he confessed. And she rejected him.

Of course, he is mad. He is hurt.

But did he really tell her how he feels?

How about Minji?

Hana sighed. Sometimes, L.Joe really isn’t thinking.

“I didn’t even see him going out. I think he left earlier than ever.” Ahjumma replied as she placed Hana’s coffee on the table. “Did you two fight?” She asked.

Hana looked at her and smiled. “Maybe just a misunderstanding.” She replied. Yes, misunderstanding. But it’s more than what she could ever imagine.

Ahjumma sighed and smiled weakly. “Don’t worry. I know Byunghun, he will get by.” She assured.

Hana smiled and nodded before sipping in her coffee. He should get by. He should. Because Hana couldn’t take it if he didn’t.

--

“Wow, isn’t L.Joe a sweet guy?”

“I’d kill to have a boyfriend like L.Joe!”

“Why can’t my boyfriend court me like this? I’m so jealous!”

Hana narrowed her eyes as she walked towards the cafeteria. She heard people talking about L.Joe being the best boyfriend ever.

Somehow, hearing L.Joe’s name just made her feel relieved. At least he was early in school. But what are they talking about?

She followed the girls and was shocked when she saw a large banner and a whole bunch of balloons.

“I’M SORRY, MINJI. FORGIVE ME?”

Hana walked towards the people crowding the area. She tried hard until she finally pushed herself to the front row.

There was L.Joe, the rest of the Teen Top boys. And Minji, who looks shy and is blushing really bad.

She couldn’t hear what they are talking about but she can see that Minji is touched and that she is smiling again. Somehow, she felt happy for her best friend. She wanted her to be happy.

She looked at L.Joe who is glancing her way, unfortunately.

Suddenly, L.Joe’s words last night echoed in her mind.

“Could it be that… that I’m starting to like you?”

She suddenly felt a pang in her heart. She looked at the couple again.

L.Joe was smiling at Minji and Minji was blushing hard. The Teen Top boys cheering in the background. And the crowd getting wild because L.Joe has become the ultimate boyfriend of the campus.

Hana breathed hard.

L.Joe kissed Minji.

Hana’s heart stopped.

She wanted this, right? She wanted this.

But why did she look away?