Last Straw.

Love Medicine.

There comes a turning point in everybody’s life. There are several turning points actually, and with each one you are forced to learn, forced to change, forced to believe, forced to overcome.

Just like everything else in her life this turning point came like the wind, fast, harsh, and fierce, rendering her speechless and into shock beyond all doubts and means.

Sometimes Jinah wished she could read the future, because if she could predict what was going to happen she would had avoided them at all cost. She would had avoided the countless amount of tears she had to hold back, avoided the heartache, avoided the pain that ate her whole.

However she knew she couldn’t, because life was not a novel, already edited, published and printed; it was an unending story that continued in long broken sentences and never ending lists. Life couldn’t be flipped back, edited and revised, it just went on. Unedited, untamed, uncontrolled. 

Jinah didn’t have work that day, it was a Wednesday. It was any other typical Wednesday, she thought. Jinah rushed into the apartment she and her mother lived in, trying to avoid the bitter cold she hated so much.

The second she closed the front door she could feel the cold shivers enter her. Something was wrong. She would realize what exactly was wrong when she heard shouts and screams coming from her mother’s room. Her mother was in an argument, and Jinah knew who she was arguing with.

It was the same guy from before, the one who shamelessly flirted with her, a girl who was young enough to be his daughter.

Jinah swiftly took her shoes off, just trying to make it to her room and shut them out. She didn’t know why she didn’t leave at that instant, she didn’t know why she didn’t turn around and walk out that door. She could go to the library and study, she can go to the antique shop, she could had gone, but didn’t.

Instead she stayed.

She was in the living room when her mother came storming out of the room, the man right behind her trail.

“What’s wrong?” Jinah asked her mother but was shoved aside when her mother turned back to face the man.

“Give it back. My money, give it back!” She screamed.

“I told you, I don’t have it!” He rebutted angrily. Her mother rebutted with a string of colorful curses and forceful language about how she knew that he was the culprit that took her money. Her shouting and screaming escalated to the point where the man couldn’t take it anymore.

He rushed out the door, and Jinah watched like a deer caught in head lights as her mother chased after him. Fire was burning in her mother’s eyes and she was turning, if not already, into a hysteric mad woman.

Growling inwardly to herself she straighten up the jacket she was still wearing and ran after her mother, ignoring the fact that she didn’t have on shoes. It was easy to keep up with her mother because the woman’s accusations against the married man she was currently sleeping with could be heard all over the apartment complex.

A couple of doors even open and Jinah quickly apologized for her mother’s immature behavior.

“Shut the hell up!” Jinah flinched when she heard him shouting back at her mother. Jinah rushed down the last flight of stairs, moving at the speed of light.

The two were now standing on the back steps of the apartment complex, screaming for the whole world to hear. There was a scuffing of feet and banging against the wall of the building.

Jinah jumped down the last three steps and rushed over to the back entrance door that was left ajar.

She made it outside the door but froze at the sight before her. Her feet felt glued to the floors as if roots had encircled her ankles to the ground, enabling her from moving, her legs and arms felt numb, and it was not due to the cold. Her face was drained of all blood. Her eyes slowly filled with tears, ones she wished she could brush away as easily as she always did.

Jinah considered herself to be a strong human being. She thought was had learned to carry a heavy guard, built iron walls, and keep her safety net close to her at all times. She could have spent her whole life priming herself for the unexpected. However things never go as expected, and even if she prepared herself she would fall eventually.

Before her she saw her mother laying on the ground, struggling to breathe as the man stood on top of her. His arms are encircled around her neck as he squeezed the life out of her.

Her mother gasped and shoved; using all the strength she could muster to just continue living.

“Mom!” Jinah shouted gaining her senses back as she rushed over to shove the man away. He stumbled slightly, and this was more than enough to make him lose his hold.

Removing one hand from her mother’s neck he raised it and slapped Jinah in the face. She cried out in pain when she was met with the harsh and sharp pain that hit her across the face. In another quick motion with the force of a semi-truck he pushed her back, shoving her away. Jinah stumbled on a patch of ice, slipping and falling against the doorstep.

She cried when her back came in contact with the wall, her head slammed back against the hard material, smashing heavily causing a heavy pain to shoot all over her head. Jinah felt herself get light-headed and she shut her eyes to block out the pain.

When she opened them again the first thing she saw was her mother’s arm reaching over to grab a large rock. She managed to barely grip onto the rock before she slammed it against the man’s skull repeatedly.

Jinah cried in terror as she watched a deep red steam of crimson slowly spill down his head, staining his skin and clothes. His hold on her mother dropped as he fell back. His eyes were wide and his body was frail.

He turned slightly to face her and only now did Jinah clearly see all the blood spilling down from his head. She blinked and in an instant his body had fallen to the ground. The crimson quickly spread onto the fresh icy white, tampering the snow.

 Jinah wasn’t sure what happened next, all she could remember was hearing screams. The screaming was so loud and was so painfully awful to hear. The screaming echoed in her mind, popping her eardrums and inflicting a memory which would be tattooed in her mind for the rest of her life.

She didn’t realize it until later, but she was the one who was screaming.

------ 

The emotionally abusive, reckless drunk of a woman was taken into custody.

The neighbors didn’t see what happened, all they knew was that the single mother who went through men as fast as she went through clothes, was heard screaming like a mad woman to a man who was found dead moments later. Now all fingers pointed to her.

Some claimed she killed him because she accused him of taking her money. Others felt like she deserved to be put in prison. Some said she should be locked away.

Jinah was always quiet and shy, but polite and caring towards the neighbors as opposed to her mother who didn’t care about what she did, or who she brought home.

Jinah didn’t remember anything, or maybe it all processed too quickly, it all felt like a blurry flash. It also felt like a horrible nightmare and she hoped she could only wake up from it soon.

Jinah lay in the hospital bed after she was checked for injuries. They said her injuries were minor. She had hit the back of her head, but it would heal in a few days. The emotional and mental injuries would be the more haunting. Jinah had just seen someone die.

No one really thinks about it on a daily basis, no one ever thought of seeing someone die before their eyes, and when it happens you can never predict how you will act.

She was like a ghost, an emotionless ghost who lay their staring at the ceiling. She hadn’t spoken a word and couldn’t give a statement to the cops because she was still a minor.

Jinah would have to give a statement eventually but that wasn’t until a doctor made sure she was fit to leave and a lawyer would have to be present for the statement to be made.

“Jin.”

She knew the owner of that voice but didn’t turn to acknowledge his presence. Perhaps she was still in shock, or perhaps she was simply too tired.

Luhan stepped up towards his friend. He had found out from his father, who was a detective about what happened, and after begging his old man to drop him off at the hospital he had to wait for who knows how long before he was given the clear to see her.

“Hey Jin,” he called again and she gave the same reaction as before. Now a look of panicked crossed his face. He turned around and pushed back one of the curtains to call out to one of the nurses passing by Jinah’s bed. The bed was only separated from the rest of the world through three thin white curtains that formed walls around her. 

He didn’t manage to even open his mouth, the nurse replied back as if she could understand his thoughts, “She hasn’t spoken a word since she arrived, give her time, don’t pressure her, she’s still in shock.” The nurse answered softly and tenderly, trying not to alarm the boy. Luhan nodded before pushing the curtain close again.

Luhan timidly and awkwardly stood there, not sure how to react or what to do. He didn’t know how long he stood there until he spoke.

“I’ll get Baekhyun.” He stated and only at the mentioned of their friend’s name did Jinah snapped back into reality.

“Baek?” She asked softly rising from the bed so she was in a sitting position. She looked at him with the most innocent eyes he had ever seen. “Is Baek coming?” She asked and only now did he realize how much Jinah needed Baekhyun.

“Yes Jin, he’s coming.” Luhan replied before grabbing his phone and texting Baekhyun. It was funny; he knew that just by mentioning Baekhyun name he would get a reaction from Jinah. He knew her too well. Baekhyun was always a weak spot for Jinah, as she was for Baekhyun.

It was only a matter of minutes before an exhausted and red-nosed Baekhyun ran down the hospital floor shouting for Luhan and Jinah. Luhan stepped outside to grab Baekhyun. He began explaining everything that happened.

Jinah was still in a trance, not mumbling a single word. She was just staring into space as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

Slowly the curtains pulled opened again and Baekhyun slowly stepped in.  

Baekhyun was cautious about his steps, not quite sure how Jinah would react. According to Luhan she was in the state of shock or something, and looking at her now he could tell.

He could tell from the way she sat so peacefully it was beautifully frightening. He could tell that she was hurt from the bandage that covered the back of her head, and he could tell her emotional scars were embedded even deeper.

“Hey.” He mumbled softly slowly sitting next to her. He sat down and looked at her timidly before brushing his hand over hers. Jinah flinched away, pulling her hand back by instinct.

When she realized what she did and who was sitting next to her she apologized, “Sorry.” She whispered softly.

“Are yo-”

“I’m fine.” The answer was a lie and everybody could tell. Jinah wasn’t fine at all. Jinah was just so used to giving that response. Guess she got so used to lying that she was okay, it was an automatic instinct now.

“Jin-“

“He had a wife. That man, he had a wife.” Baekhyun knew who she was talking about, the man Mrs. Han killed. Baekhyun was sitting here wondering how such things could happen.

He knew Jinah’s mother wasn’t the brightest or the best, but never to this extent. Had she really killed someone?

“Can I show you something, if that’s alright with you?” He was scared she was going to deny his offer and honestly he didn’t know what he would do afterwards. He used this same method a few years ago, but back then his experiences and lessons were at a beginner’s stage.

“Of course.”

-----

The soft piano played like a lullaby to Jinah’s ears. She watched Baekhyun play the piano and somehow that brought peace and comfort to her. The soft melody danced in her ears, drowning out the horrific screams of terror.

Baekhyun had started playing the piano around the age of eight and was quite a popular piano player. Some said the kid just had natural talent, but Jinah disagreed. Sure Baekhyun was talented, but he also practiced.

She remembered for an entire year he wouldn’t let her hear him play, not once. He said he didn’t want her to hear until he was good enough for her. So the eight year old boy practiced for hours upon hours to become perfect.  

When Jinah was eleven Baekhyun had found her and could only bring her back home once he promised to play the piano for her. That was when her father died. That was another turning point in her life.

Years later, here they were again, in the same spot, only in different circumstances. Now they were older, somehow wiser and stupider, they were more mature yet less innocent, they were growing and dying at the same time.

Jinah hummed along to the melody as the song softly ended. She closed her eyes peacefully, and the dark images were replaced with new ones. A soft smile curled on her face.

This was always something between them. This was one of the ways Baekhyun relieved the stress from Jinah. Maybe after all these years her brain her rewired itself to heal once he began pressing those piano keys. Maybe it was just how content and natural he looked when playing that made Jinah’s heart warm up.

Whatever it was, it worked.

The last note was played, the last piano key was pressed and just like that her moment with him ended and reality set in again.

“Baek….”

“Yes?”

“She didn’t kill him.” Jinah whispered, her head falling down to avoid eye contact with him. She could feel his wondering eyes on her and she knew eventually she would have to speak.

“My mother killed him out of self deference.” Jinah explained, “He was strangling her. I-I tried helping…and he…he pushed me…I f-fell- Baek,”

“Shhh, it’s okay.” He expressed pulling her into a hug. He pressed his chin on top of her head as her face buried in his chest. He brushed his fingers through her hair minding the bandage wrapped around her head.

He bit his lip, trying to bite back his own tears when he heard gentle sobs and felt wet tears on his shirt. His heart pained seeing her like this. It was so rare to see Jinah in such a miserable state, and he hated it. Jinah was strong, she didn’t break easily and she didn’t cry.

Now after everything that’s happened he wondered how she could be affected. He wondered about the consequences her mother would face, the affect it would leave on the people around them, and most importantly, Jinah.  

All he could do was be here for her. So he held her in his arms and let her cry.

He had made a promised to her father years ago. He never told Jinah, he never told anyone aside from Luhan about that promise. He stood over her father’s grave on that early spring morning in May and made a promise.

When he was eleven years ago he promised Mr. Han, Jinah’s father, that as her best friend, he would do everything in his power to protect her.

Here holding her in his arms he apologized to Mr. Han, because hadn’t kept his promise. It hurts him, because she's suffered so much already. He wonders if she'll ever get up again, he wonders if this was Jinah's last straw.