Unrequited Loves.

Love Medicine.

Han Jinah stood at the familiar steps of her old town. It was funny how time could go by so fast. For her that was a time to grow, a time to learn, a time to live, and a time to reflect.

Now she was back to face her demons and embrace her angels. Some say if she left she would never return, and if anyone asked her she would have said the same.

So it was kind of ironic that she was standing on these familiar dust tracks that trace back her entire life. In it was the one man who changed everything. He was her savior, her best friend, her guardian angel. Byun Baekhyun, her high school crush, her unrequited love.

There was a time when she needed him as much as he needed her.  There was a time when they would drop the entire world for each other.  Then the world shifted, and just like that the rest of the universe came knocking in. She had to learn to live without him, because she had to let him go.

Jinah smiled softy, not regretting her decision to leave. She thought silently, that if there was any medicine that could cure her from herself then it would be him, the man she let go the day she left. He was her love medicine.

-----

Rewind.

He always told her that he loved her long hair. He always told her brown eyes saw more than meets the eye. He always laughed at her horrible jokes. He made fun of how forgetful she was. He would walk her home, telling stories about anything and everything. He would comfort her when there was thunder because he knew she was secretly scared of thunder. He would buy her ice cream when she was upset because he knew ice cream always cheered her up.

It was those small gestures, those innocent moments when it seemed like nothing else matter. It was so simple and so easy they didn’t even notice the importance of it. That was what mattered wasn’t it, the small things that everyone overlooked, never truly knowing the true beauty of it.

Jinah knew she didn’t. She didn’t realize how he made her smile even without trying. She didn’t realize that he was the first person she called when she was depressed. She didn’t realize that he was the person who found her after her father died.

Byun Baekhyun was her best friend, the idiot who lied to her in order to get her out of bed early on a Saturday, just because he wanted to watch the sunrise; he was her tutor when she was failing Physics; he was her rock when she drifted too far into the wind and lost her step, he was the lighthouse guiding her lost ship home, he was the man she was in love him.

For Han Jinah falling in love was supposed to be something magical. Something that emitted sparks and caused fireworks to explode. It was supposed to be this beautiful fantasy that was to be told for all her children and grandchildren to hear.

What she wasn’t expecting was for him to throw her one quick glance one random winter day. And just like that she fell for him. There was nothing romantic about it, no fireworks, no sparks, just the boyish smile that woke up her feelings for him.

“Jinah.” He repeated her name breaking her out of her daydreams. The two were standing outside the school.

“What?” She asked not looking him in the eye. He gave her a small smile, the kind that normal people didn’t give. Nobody smiles out of nowhere, but apparently Baekhyun did. That was just one more reason why she loves him.

“I was asking you how you did in Physics.” He stated. She got 94%, a good score compared to measly 50s and 60s she received before he began tutoring her. He clapped cheerfully when she told him her score.

“I knew you would do well.” He revealed honestly and that caused a gentle smile to lift up on her face. He brought his arm around her and patted her shoulder. Her smile widened and sometimes she wished these small gestures and moments could last forever.

“Baekhyun!” A soft angelic voice shouted. Jinah felt Baekhyun pull away from her. A giant grin appeared on his handsome face when he located the owner of that angelic tone. Jinah smiled, even though she was dying on the inside. Just like that the world began to move again and she lost him once again.

He waved good-bye to her before he began making his way to the girl. Jinah watched as Baekhyun walked over to the girl, who was wearing the same school uniforms as them, only she was a year younger than Jinah and Baekhyun.

Jinah watched as he wrapped his arms around her waist protectively and lovingly, and gave her a small peck on the cheek. A smile appeared on the girl’s face and a smile disappeared off of Jinah’s face.

Sometimes Jinah thinks god is truly trying to test them. God is trying to figure out how much they can take and how much pain they can endure. She watched as the happy couple talked, trying to ignore the burning feeling growing in her heart.

That was one of the things that hurt the most, loving someone who will never return the same feelings, loving someone who belonged to another, loving someone who will never realize that you love them. Yeah, she thinks those hurt the most. Unrequited loves.

------