Chapter XXXI

Miscalculation

A/n: So it's been twelve days. I'm sorry! Better than three weeks though! This chapter was a bit longer than usual, so there you have it. Anyways. Most of this chapter focuses on Kaisoo, since I've been neglecting it lately (not intentionally). Enjoy? (Oh, and this is sort of unedited. I'll do it later, I'm going out for lunch.)

Baekhyun’s plan had been aimed at desensitizing the public to the idea of Kyungsoo being close to the “popular” boys. Whether that worked or not, Kyungsoo stopped caring. However, in the rushing whir of this plan, they both seemed to have forgotten about certain people besides them who should have known about it beforehand. That being, Chanyeol and Jongin. Whatever Chanyeol’s reaction was, Kyungsoo figured it wasn’t his concern as long as the boy didn’t come after him. But Jongin was his boyfriend, and he remembered this the moment he spotted Jongin standing in the crowd, looking stunned and somewhat devastated by the sight of his boyfriend kissing someone else.

Oops.

(Kyungsoo wasn’t sure how guilty he felt. He was feeling a bit entitled lately, honestly. Jongin wasn’t exactly being the best boyfriend right now, and maybe he deserved a little payback.)

Jongin walked right past him when Baekhyun had left, and Kyungsoo knew he was supposed to follow the younger. He led them down the hallway, and turned down an empty corridor, stopping to look at Kyungsoo. His eyes were shimmering with anger and a ghost of sadness. Kyungsoo didn’t feel the need to explain himself or apologize; he just waited.

“You and Baekhyun… I – he talks to me about you a lot lately. I didn’t think he was interested in you like that,” Jongin said slowly, and he sounded confused, like he were speaking another language and wasn’t sure what he was saying. The idea of Kyungsoo being with someone else was apparently a staggering new concept for Jongin, who seemed to think Kyungsoo could only have eyes and thoughts for him. Jongin’s dazedness irked Kyungsoo for some reason. “I didn’t think you were interested in him like that.”

“I’m not.”

“Oh,” Jongin said, and there was venom that seeped through. What? Do you not like your worries being dismissed so easily? I wonder how that feels… “So you were just kissing him because you felt like it?”

Kyungsoo would have explained otherwise, but he didn’t like Jongin’s tone, Jongin’s assumption. “I guess so,” he returned, equally icy.

“Why are you mad at me?” Jongin shot at him, visibly frustrated by the turn in tables. “You were kissing someone else here, not me! One of my closest friends, too! Have you guys been doing this a lot? Were you getting tired of me not realizing? I never even thought you two…”

He looked put out, anger simmering down in the place of depression as all the thoughts seemed to catch up with him. Kyungsoo… was cheating on him? (Kyungsoo, of course, wasn’t. He liked to think he was above that, at least.)

“I’m not even that close to Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo said honestly, still annoyed, Jongin’s sad puppy eyes not working on him at all. If anything, they irritated him more. “Baekhyun just said we should kiss to help you and me out. Something about people seeing me and him together, and they would like me, I don’t know.”

“That doesn’t even make sense!” Jongin cried. Kyungsoo just shrugged. It hadn’t been his idea. “But it does sound like something Baek would do. He’s always coming up with weird plans for things, but he usually doesn’t go through with them.”

“Well, he went through with this one.”

Jongin was quiet for a minute, and Kyungsoo tried not to glare at him. “So… you and Baek aren’t, like…” Kyungsoo shook his head. “Oh. Okay.” Just like that, his mood seemed to go up. Gosh, he’s easy. If Kyungsoo had been cheating, and just lying about it, would Jongin buy it just like that? But then his mood wavered again. “You – haven’t been kissing anyone else, right?”

“No,” Kyungsoo assured him, mind going to Key, whom Jongin no doubt was referring to. “But I’m going to start soon, if you don’t kiss me anymore.” Kyungsoo didn’t actually want to kiss Key – well, he’d never thought about it – but he let the implication hang threateningly anyway.

“I do kiss you!” Jongin protested.

“Yes, but not – you know what I mean. You know I like that feeling. And I actually didn’t mind kissing Baekhyun – and I’m sure he’s not the only good kisser around.”

“You’re not only with me to kiss you and have , are you?” Jongin asked worriedly.

“No!” Kyungsoo shook his head furiously, hand reaching out to touch Jongin’s gently before he pulled it away again. I don’t need to show you sympathy. But this really wasn’t about just kissing. “No, I’m not. But it would nice to at least be acknowledged by my own boyfriend publicly. Come on, Jongin,” he said, and this time Kyungsoo was the one sounding exasperated. “Even your friends will make out with me, knowing that lots of people were watching. All I’m asking you is to tell people you’re dating me.” He felt a small lump in his throat, and swallowed it down. Why was he upset? You’re not even worth it to him, a thought nagged, and he hissed at it internally. Shut up, he thought. He didn’t need that. “And either stop pretending you hate me around your friends, or stop pretending you love me when we’re alone.”

Jongin stepped forward, taking hold of Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “I don’t pretend to love you, Kyungsoo,” he said, eyes pleading. “I do love you.”

Kyungsoo looked away from him, shaking his head. “You make it really hard to believe that.”

“I’ve told you -”

“I don’t care what you’ve told me,” Kyungsoo said sternly, looking back to Jongin’s eyes. The younger flinched slightly. “You act like you hate me, and I’m starting to think you’re just embarrassed to be with me. Maybe that’s not true, but that’s how I feel.” As he spoke, he felt himself being enveloped in Jongin’s arms, but made no movement to hug him back, standing stalk-still.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin said quietly, and he pressed a kiss to Kyungsoo’s cheek. Kyungsoo didn’t want to hear the empty promises of I’ll do this and that, I’ll try harder, I’ll be better, I love you. It was all starting to lose its meaning when it came from Jongin’s mouth. Maybe Jongin wasn’t even trying to hurt Kyungsoo on purpose; maybe he truly thought that Kyungsoo was as happy as he was despite how they treated each other when there were others around. But Kyungsoo didn’t care about that; Jongin was still abusing his privileges, and Kyungsoo was sick of getting his hopes up and being let down time and time again. He didn’t think he could take it much longer if Jongin didn’t change.

Yet Jongin made his promises, and Kyungsoo let it slide, hoping he really meant it this time, and they continued through the cycle once again.

Kyungsoo finally made it into the lunchroom fifteen minutes into the period, after the many distractions he faced, feeling less hungry than he had been previously. His stomach was sort of churning from everything.

Key gave him a questioning look as he sat at their table. “So…” he offered, eyes moving briefly to Jongin as the boy walked through the doors, before returning to Kyungsoo. “I saw you getting a little frisky with that Baekhyun kid. What’s up with that?”

Sehun coughed and put in, “Pardon? What did I miss?”

“Nothing,” Kyungsoo answered to both. “I was just – trying to save my relationship with my boyfriend.”

“By kissing someone else?” Key asked. “If you were going for the whole jealousy ploy, you could’ve just asked me, I wouldn’t have minded helping you out.”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “It wasn’t really my idea. I just went with it.”

“Wait – you kissed Baekhyun?”

“Yes, Sehun, why don’t you announce just in case you weren’t the only one to see it?” Kyungsoo scowled. His best friend could be so stupid sometimes. At least he had Key. He decided to switch topics, not enjoying the one they were on anymore. “So what’s up with you and Yixing now?”

Sehun no doubt saw through Kyungsoo’s aversion tactic – because when did Kyungsoo ever take interest in anything to do with Sehun, really? – but took the chance to start chatting away anyways, just because at least now he had Kyungsoo’s attention. Everything was really good between them, blah blah, Kyungsoo stopped listening the moment he asked. But he did notice how happy Sehun looked talking about Yixing, how his eyes lit up and he glanced the older boy’s way sometimes, and sometimes Yixing was looking at them too, which was nice. Eventually Yixing took the initiative to come over to their table, and Sehun made space for him.

“Hello, Sehun-ah. Hello Kyungsoo, Key-hyung.”

“Hi, hyung,” Kyungsoo said, as Key gave a warm hello. Kyungsoo found himself wondering if the two were friends. He couldn’t really remember the two interacting much. But this was Yixing, and even Key could never find anything bad in the boy.

“Did you hear Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were kissing?” Sehun said immediately.

Yixing looked at Kyungsoo in surprise, and Kyungsoo couldn’t help thinking that that was probably the greatest change in expression he’d ever seen on the Chinese boy. If even laid-back Yixing pulled such a reaction, then what would Kris do?

“Really?” Yixing wondered. “Why?”

“It was Baekhyun’s idea,” Kyungsoo muttered.

“Ah,” Yixing nodded. “Baekhyun is… interesting in that way.”

“He’s gonna get us both in trouble,” Kyungsoo grumbled, appreciating his choice far less every minute. He couldn’t really see the pros now that he was facing the consequences that far outweighed them. He at least enjoyed the fact that it had bothered Jongin so much. Good. Maybe he’ll actually do something now.

“Chanyeol must not know,” Yixing noted quietly, and the four of them all looked towards the boy in question, who was resting his chin on Baekhyun’s shoulder, arms around the older’s waist, looking very relaxed. “I think he’ll be upset about it.”

Key threw an arm over Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “Too bad,” he said casually. “What’s he gonna do now? He only has his boyfriend to blame.” Kyungsoo didn’t bother pointing out that he had given his consent, and technically was equally guilty in the situation. He wasn’t that bothered by it anyway. He just didn’t like the idea of being the centre of attention for other students to talk about.

As if hearing Kyungsoo’s thoughts, Key said to him, “Don’t worry, this’ll die down fast. It’s not that exciting. And besides,” he added. “Once your boyfriend comes out about you guys, everyone will forget the whole thing with you and Baekhyun.” It wasn’t that comforting. “If he ever tells anyone.” That didn’t help.

Sadly, Kyungsoo knew he was right about it anyway.

The following Tuesday at lunch, when Kyungsoo reached the cafeteria with Key, their usual table was surprisingly full, and Kyungsoo was already planning to start chastising minors (although really, he had no more rights to the table than them) when he realized he recognized everyone sitting there.

Sehun was there, as usual, joined by Yixing (who seemed to sit with them semi-regularly now). Across from them, though, was Joonmyun. Joonmyun had returned from his trip the previous night, and was finally back to school. With him was, to Kyungsoo’s knowledge, his new boyfriend, Kim Jongdae. Seeing them together, Kyungsoo thought they looked casual but still, subtly, adoring. Joonmyun seemed elated, anyway. On Joonmyun’s other side was none other than Minseok, who Kyungsoo hadn’t seen in what felt like forever, and Luhan beside him. When Joonmyun noticed Kyungsoo entering the room, he pointed him out to Minseok, and the older jumped up.

“Kyungsoo-yah!”

Kyungsoo braced for impact as Minseok rushed over and dragged him into a bone-crushing hug.

“Did you get taller? And somehow cuter?” Minseok bubbled. Kyungsoo smiled. Minseok was usually so relaxed, but when he got excited, it really was adorable.

“Maybe taller,” Kyungsoo agreed. “Not sure about the latter.”

“I think I just forgot how cute you were,” Minseok said, letting go of him. “I think I’m gonna have to break it off with Lu and go out with you instead,” he teased. Kyungsoo laughed. As if that would ever happen.

“You know he has a boyfriend,” Key put in. Kyungsoo had forgotten he was there. And he was obviously not very pleased with the appearance of Minseok, whom Key had never met. He was sneering slightly at the older, looking at him challengingly.

“And I have a fiancé,” Minseok said coolly, and Key definitely had to try hard not to look so shocked. “Kyungsoo knows I’m joking.” He turned to Kyungsoo. “Who’s your friend?”

Kyungsoo suddenly felt awkward at the tension growing between the two. He felt the urge to hit Key for being so… possessive.

“This is Key,” Kyungsoo explained. “He’s kind of – very territorial. Key, this is Minseok; he graduated here last year. Speaking of which – what are you doing here? Don’t you and Luhan have classes?”

Minseok started moving back to the table, and as he walked, he said, “I had one this morning, and another in the afternoon, but Lu only has one class today, and it’s later, so we thought we’d stop by and see everyone.” He took his seat, and Luhan looked up, waving at Kyungsoo happily. “Also, Joonmyun said him and Jongie were gonna be back at school today, so we had to come.”

Before Kyungsoo was allowed to sit, he was being hugged again, this time by Joonmyun. Then he went around to sit beside Sehun, Key taking his other side. Kyungsoo ignored the voice in his head pointing out that, surrounded by couples, it seemed like he and Key were also a couple. Whatever. We’re not, and everyone here knows it.

Although Minseok and Luhan obviously were trying to keep their touches and affectionate mannerisms to a minimum, it was only a few minutes before Sehun was leaning his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, and even Joonmyun looked a bit uncomfortable, stuck between Minseok and Jongdae. Kyungsoo felt bad for Joonmyun’s lack of confidence, but then, sometimes Jongdae looked past Joonmyun at Minseok in a way that Kyungsoo thought should be reserved for his boyfriend, not his ex. Kyungsoo couldn’t decide if Jongdae had so boldly come and sat with them because Joonmyun was here, or if it was because Minseok was here.

He wished Jongin had come over here.

Jongin was, however, sitting at the far emptier than usual table with Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Tao, and the returned Kris. Kris was looking moody, Tao and Jongin flanking either side of him, Chanyeol sitting and looking very protective of Baekhyun. But if Kris was mad at Baekhyun, he either didn’t care about Kyungsoo’s part in their kiss last week, or he hadn’t noticed that Kyungsoo had come in yet (which seemed unlikely, because Minseok had sort of made a big deal out of it). Keep ignoring me, that’s fine.

“So, Kyungsoo-yah,” Minseok was saying, dragging Kyungsoo’s attention back to the conversation. “How are you and Jonginnie?” Minseok sounded light-hearted, but his eyes were filled with concern. Surely he was wondering why Jongin wasn’t sitting over here with his boyfriend. “He keeps looking this way. Did you two get in a fight?”

“No,” Kyungsoo answered. “We kind of fight on and off.”

“You’ve only been together a couple months, haven’t you?” Luhan wondered, and Kyungsoo nodded. “That’s too bad. You seem kind of cute together. In my mind, anyway.” He looked sympathetic, but also cautious, and Kyungsoo could understand why. Kyungsoo was, after all, Sehun’s best friend, and Sehun and Luhan… well, it was pretty uncomfortable to be in the same room as them, let alone having Sehun on his shoulder and Luhan talking to him. Luhan surely had no idea how he and Kyungsoo stood.

“I don’t know if we’re cute,” Kyungsoo said, not liking the word to describe him in any way. People always called him cute. It was a bit tiring. “You’d have to ask someone who sees us together, I guess.”

“You used to be great together,” Sehun said carefully. “Now he just seems to piss you off more than anything. Sort of seems like you’re heading towards a bitter end.”

“Thanks, Sehun,” Kyungsoo said snappily. “I’m glad my best friend has so much faith in my relationship.”

Sehun muttered something about just being realistic as Key put in, “I never see you two together for more than a few minutes, honestly, and you really don’t seem like a couple, Soo.” He petted Kyungsoo’s hair comfortingly as Kyungsoo scowled, and everyone laughed. “Sorry, honey, but I can't really support him when he doesn’t even seem to make you happy.”

“Poor Kyungsoo,” Minseok said, patting the younger’s hand. “Our baby is having boyfriend problems.”

“Whose baby am I?” Kyungsoo grumbled, not impressed at being the centre of attention, especially at this subject.

“Mine and Luhan’s,” Minseok answered immediately, and they all broke into laughter again. Well, most of them. Then he finally turned his attention to someone else – his best friend and his ex, the latest couple. “What about you, Jongie? Are you and Joonmyun a happy couple?”

“Hasn’t Joon-hyung told you all about us?”

“Yeah, but he’s been crazy for you for years, I think his opinion is a bit biased.”

It was sad to have to say goodbye to all their old friends when the bell sounded and everyone had to go to their classes. As Minseok hugged everyone and said his farewells, he noticed Luhan standing a little away, very quiet. When they left the school, Luhan remained wordless, and Minseok felt a bit worried.

“That was nice,” he began. “Seeing all the kids again. And everyone being together.”

“Mm.”

“Poor Kyungsoo, though. I hope him and Jonginnie work out.” Luhan made another soft sound of agreement, but didn’t speak. Minseok wasn’t used to Luhan being so quiet, and he’d been like that the whole time they’d been in the high school. They didn’t say anything else until they reached the bus stop, and then Minseok turned to Luhan. “Are you okay?”

Luhan didn’t meet his eyes, shrugging. “I guess I just didn’t enjoy it as much as you.”

“Huh? Why not?”

Luhan shrugged again, and then asked, “Does it bother you, that one of your best friends is dating your ex? Don’t you find that awkward?”

“No,” Minseok said slowly. “I… I’m happy for them. Joonmyunnie liked Jongdae a lot longer than I did. I think they should be together, if they’re happy. I don’t mind it; like, I’m not really involved or anything. Jongie’s not doing it just to get back at me or anything, and Joonmyun… I hadn’t known he liked Jong, but he said it’s all okay, so… Why, are you upset seeing Sehun with Yixing?”

“No, no… I’m glad he’s moved on. I was worried about him…”

Minseok took his hand, clasping it tightly. “I know you were. But he’s okay, so I don’t know what you’re worried about now.”

“I’m not,” Luhan sighed. “Just… all those people, they’re your friends, not mine. Jongdae doesn’t like me, Yixing doesn’t know me but I mean, he’s dating Sehun so he probably doesn’t like me… I didn’t even know that Key kid, and Joonmyun and Kyungsoo probably don’t like me either.  They’re all your friends. I just felt awkward and left out the whole time.”

Minseok looked shocked, somehow disbelieving that his fiancé thought everyone hated him. (But Minseok was a little very partial when it came to Luhan, and was somehow convinced that no one could possibly hate Luhan.) He pulled the younger into a side-hug as he spotted the bus rolling around the corner.

“That’s definitely not true,” Minseok promised. “For one thing, Yixing likes everyone, and I’m sure he holds nothing against you. He’s really mature. And why wouldn’t Joonmyun and Kyungsoo like you? Joonmyun always asks me about you, and you talk to him still too! And Kyungsoo – well, you know how he is. He’s not very affectionate, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t like you.”

“He’s Sehun’s best friend,” Luhan noted.

“Yes, but he also doesn’t get involved in other people’s business,” Minseok argued. “Just because you broke up with his best friend… that’s not enough to make Kyungsoo care, and we both know it. Besides, I wouldn’t worry about Kyungsoo not liking you. Honestly, the kid doesn’t like anyone.”

“I still was – I just didn’t have that much fun with them,” Luhan said. “And he likes you, and Jongin of all people, and his new friend, and Sehun-”

“Sometimes,” Minseok put in as the bus pulled up. “He sometimes likes Sehun.” Luhan half-smiled. “They have a weird friendship. And I feel like he hasn’t missed me all that much. He doesn’t go out of his way to stay in touch with me. And Jongin – he said they fight, probably because Kyungsoo loses interest in him. I dunno. Don’t worry,” Minseok said softly. “You’ve got Joonmyun, and all our new friends at our school. And me,” he added as they sat in a seat near the back. “You’re still stuck with me.”

Luhan leaned on his shoulder, twining their fingers together. He didn’t have to tell Minseok that that was worth it, that if he could only choose one person from their high school years to keep, it would be Minseok, because it was Minseok. He was the only old friend Luhan had now. Even if he did have a small circle of friends at the university, the only person he went out of his way to spend time with was the person he planned on spending the rest of his life with.

They had talked a lot about these things, about Luhan’s insecurities towards his lack of friends – which he’d always sort of had, for one reason or another; when he’d been a new kid from China with a language barrier, when he was the kid who really liked coffee and soccer (which he still was), when he was too pretty, not popular enough, not smart enough to fit in with anyone. Luhan didn’t have a lot of confidence when it came to socializing. Minseok knew that back in China, Luhan had had a lot of friends, but in Korea, he just wasn’t finding his click. There were times when Luhan suggested the idea of going back to China some day, when they were done school, after the wedding, but Minseok had his doubts. It might be nice, but right now it was just a big leap that he didn’t even want to think about. They agreed to put the idea aside until they finished school.

But Minseok still wanted Luhan to be happy for the next four years. He tried to do all sorts of little things, taking Luhan to fun places on the weekend, buying him chocolate, bubble tea, and various other simple presents to brighten the younger’s day. Taking him back to the high school had been one of these plans, but it hadn’t gone so well. Minseok supposed he couldn’t win every time, but the fact that it brought down Luhan’s self-esteem – when that was the exact opposite of what Minseok was trying to do – likely bothered the older more than it should have.

When they arrived back at the school, they went to Luhan’s dorm, and Luhan left Minseok to take a shower – since as he claimed, he hadn’t showered in like, two days, and he couldn’t go to class in such an unacceptable state. He offered Minseok to join him, but Minseok declined, waiting sprawled out on Luhan’s bed. He shed his coat, and soon enough his sweater, because Luhan’s room was always pretty warm and the steam from the shower didn’t help the situation. The heat made Minseok feel drowsy, and he might have dozed off for a few minutes until he felt hands grabbing his feet playfully. He glanced at the clock on Luhan’s bedside table, and then to Luhan who was getting dressed.

“Time to go soon, babe,” Minseok sighed, watching the shirtless boy paw through his clothes for something to wear. Luhan pulled something out and held it up to his chest, looking at himself in the small mirror above his minute dresser. “That one. I like that one,” Minseok told him.

“You do?” Luhan turned, eyes bright, a smile toying on his lips.

“Of course,” Minseok smiled. “I like everything you wear. Especially my clothes.” Luhan laughed, but looked a bit disappointed. “What?”

“I dunno,” Luhan mumbled. “I thought you liked this shirt ‘cause it was… special or something. Like I wore it one day-”

“When we had or something?” Minseok teased. “I think you’ve worn every shirt at one point or another when we do.”

Luhan threw his shirt at the boy’s face, and Minseok was temporarily blinded by the clothing. By the time he could see again, Luhan’s fingers were slipping under his shirt. “I try not to wear anything when we have ,” he noted. “But sometime I will wear every shirt I own. All at once.”

“Not when we sleep together!” And they both started laughing as Luhan crawled on top of Minseok. “No, I mean it! I’m not having with a pillow.”

Luhan pouted, still lifting the boy’s shirt. “I dunno, that could be fun. Take off this shirt, I’ve decided I wanna wear it.” Minseok grumbled as he pushed himself up so Luhan could strip him, and as he fell back, feeling significantly more self-conscious (likely because Luhan was also shirtless on top of him), he felt Luhan’s lips touch his, and smiled. As their chests pressed together, Minseok fought the urge to in his stomach. He usually didn’t worry about his appearance around Luhan, but sometimes he just instinctively felt very aware of how extremely perfect Luhan was compared to him.

“I should go to the gym or something,” he muttered, taking the shirt Luhan had thrown at him earlier, seeing as his own shirt had been stolen. He probably couldn’t even wear it; it was one of Luhan’s smaller shirts, and likely wouldn’t fit right on Minseok.

“Don’t you start that.”

“I’m not starting anything!” Minseok pouted. “Why are you against me being in shape?”

“I didn’t say that,” Luhan said, running a finger across Minseok’s jutted out lip. “Don’t get all cute on me.”

“I can’t help being cute,” Minseok reminded him jokingly. “I’m just trying not to be so… chubby.”

Pinching one of his cheeks, Luhan murmured, “I like your chubbiness. And anyway, it’s only your cheeks that are chubby. You’re nicely proportioned everywhere else.”

“Whatever. Get off me,” Minseok mock-ordered, pushing gently against the boy. “I need to find something to wear. We have classes to go to.”

“I don’t want to…”

“You never want to.”

“Yes, but, I mean, we’re already half undressed, and-”

“No,” Minseok cut him off immediately, getting up and out of Luhan’s grasp. “No. We are responsible university students who have classes to attend.”

“Seokkie,” Luhan whined. Minseok glared, light but still stern. “You’re a terrible fiancé.”

“You have poor judgment,” Minseok countered. “Go to class, and maybe I’ll come over tonight.” He pulled Luhan up and into a brief kiss. “Alright? If not,” he added, tapping the ring on Luhan’s finger. “You can break off your engagement with me.”

Luhan grumbled something as if that wasn’t really enough of a promise to satisfy him, but then he smiled and kissed Minseok’s cheek. Even with all their flaws and worries, they still had each other to help them through, and for the most part – at least for now – it seemed they would be okay.

One day Jongin surprised Kyungsoo, when he was waiting for him at his locker at the beginning of lunch. He looked casual, but when he spotted Kyungsoo he broke into a grin, and when the older reached him he leaned down to kiss Kyungsoo on the cheek.

“Hey, hyung,” he said sweetly. Kyungsoo offered a smile, unsure of where this change had come from. Was this Jongin’s way of finally coming out about them to the world? Kyungsoo actually felt pretty happy about it, but he wished more people were looking at them. Apparently, after what had happened with him and Baekhyun, Jongin talking to Kyungsoo didn’t fascinate their schoolmates so much.

As they went down to the cafeteria, and Kyungsoo noticed that his table was empty (although that wasn’t a big deal; sometimes Sehun and Joonmyun were later arriving than him, especially lately since they both had distractions, aka Yixing and Jongdae), Kyungsoo decided to test his boyfriend, just to see how serious he was being right now.

“Do you want to come sit with me?” he asked Jongin. He wished Key was here to see this – Jongin was even holding his hand. But the other boy was away on a field trip for the day. Kyungsoo wondered if Key would even believe this if he told him.

“No,” Jongin replied, and Kyungsoo glanced up at him, frowning. Then what was all this for? He went to pull his hand out of Jongin’s, but Jongin just smiled and held it firmly. “You’re gonna come sit with me.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes may have widened an infinitely small amount as Jongin continued to smile sincerely. His eyes wandered over to Jongin’s table, where he finally found his own friends, sitting amongst Jongin’s, although Kris and Tao were currently missing. Had this all been planned? Were they all going to sit together at the popular table and when Kris came in, he would see them all and be forced to accept it?

Kyungsoo couldn’t hold back a smile as Jongin pulled him over to the table and squashed in beside Baekhyun (although Jongin made sure to sit between him and Kyungsoo). He noticed that Sehun looked a little unimpressed at the setup, but wasn’t complaining because at least he was sitting with Yixing – and really, he couldn’t complain around Yixing. Kyungsoo and Jongin were welcomed happily, and Jongin never let go of his hand. And every time the cafeteria door opened, Kyungsoo expected Jongin to tense up, expecting Kris to walk through and see them. But Jongin stayed completely comfortable.

Then Kyungsoo started to grow suspicious.

The first few minutes, Kyungsoo thought, maybe Kris had been running an errand or doing something else, thus why he was delayed. But then time continued to tick away, and neither Kris nor Tao showed. The idea that maybe they’d gone off somewhere occurred – because Kyungsoo knew they had done that before – but minutes went by, and then half the period was gone and the leader had still failed to show up, and then Kyungsoo had to wonder. Where was he?

He didn’t show up. Neither did Tao.

At the end of their lunch, Jongin parted with him, kissing him again, a light peck on the lips. The next time they saw each other was last period in art class.

Kris wasn’t there either.

He wasn’t at school today. Tao wasn’t at school. That was why Jongin was being so open.

Kyungsoo was glad Key wasn’t there. He didn’t need to hear about what a crappy boyfriend Jongin was. He didn’t want those thoughts confirmed.

Right about now, it wouldn’t be hard for Kyungsoo to be talked into breaking up with Jongin.

A/n: If you're not getting all the not-so-subtle feelings of Kaisoo being very rocky right now, this is me telling you, Kaisoo is very rocky right now. Kyungsoo has really reached the point where he's had enough, and Jongin is still - well, not oblivious, but he kind of doesn't care. Which is worse than being oblivious, in my mind. This is almost over! I can feel the end coming and I think it will indeed be done by chapter 40. Of course, stories never really end. *cough cough*

ALSO: Go check out my other fic. It's getting far less attention, my poor baby. Please give it lots of love! (here)