Interlude IV

Miscalculation

A/n: Little interlude. The second part takes place in September, the first part is the week of the festival. Enjoy!

There was a knock on the door. Based on the fact that his roommate never seemed to have company – like, ever; did the guy even have friends? – Minseok had a feeling it was for him. And he wasn’t sure, but he guessed he knew who it was.

“Come in!”

The door squeaked open, and Minseok looked up from his books. Luhan was slipping inside, face pink, wearing a long sleeve shirt, and no sweater or jacket of any kind.

“You’re still studying?” he asked as he kicked off his shoes, taking in the books and papers all around his fiancé.

“Yes, that’s a thing that happens when you go to university,” Minseok sighed. “What’s up?”

Luhan crossed the room, going up behind Minseok, and sitting down on the bed beside him. Before Minseok could turn around, he felt Luhan’s hands slipping under his shirt – and they were cold!

“Yah! Don’t do that!” He arched away from the other’s icy hands, and Luhan’s laugh chimed. Then Luhan was leaning against him, chest pressed to his back, arms wrapped around his neck and chin rested on his shoulder. Minseok turned his head to steal a kiss from him, and Luhan pressed their lips together.

“We’re alone, right?”

Minseok gave a nod, tossing his book aside and turning to face Luhan – well, rather, pushing him back and crawling on top of him. Luhan smirked, hands reaching up to Minseok’s neck, and Minseok shivered.

“Why are you so freezing?” he asked.

“I walked here, and it’s colder outside than I thought,” Luhan admitted. “Will you warm me up?”

“Is this why you came here?” Minseok laughed, pressing his lips to Luhan’s rosy nose.

“Am I not allowed to come see you just to ask you to have with me?”

“I’m not sure how healthy that is,” he noted.

“Would you rather me find someone else to sleep with, and only come to you for deep heart-to-heart conversations?” They both laughed, and Minseok rolled onto his back, pulling Luhan onto his chest.

“I’d rather you didn’t,” he said, kissing Luhan’s hair. “Really though, is that why you came here? Because I’m supposed to be studying so I might make you wait until I’m done.”

Luhan shook his head. “I actually came here for a reason, and it has to do with all your studying. But I could tempt you away from your books, I think. I have my ways of luring you.”

“You can just ask me and I’ll stop studying,” Minseok reminded him. “It’s not like I’m enjoying it much anyway. Why are you here then, other than to be in the pleasure of my company?”

“First, to tell you I love you,” Luhan said. “And to remind you,” he added, touching the ring on Minseok’s finger. “That I’ll always love you and you’re stuck with me forever.”

“I’m not yet!” Minseok protested jokingly, and Luhan pouted, but he couldn’t hold it long before he was smiling again.

Second,” he continued on as if he hadn’t been interrupted. “I wanted to tell you that you’re focusing way too much on school, and I think you’re getting too stressed.” He tilted his head back to kiss Minseok’s jaw. “So I thought we should do something together, away from the school. So on Friday, we’re going to go to the festival in Hongdae. Okay? Just you and me, hanging out together, finding places to sneak off and make out-” Minseok hit him, chuckling. “No, but really. We’re going to go, okay?”

“Am I allowed to say no?” Minseok teased, and Luhan shook his head furiously. “Well then, I guess we’ll be going. If it makes you happy,” he added cheesily.

“Do you not want to go? Aren’t you super excited about getting to spend time with me?”

“I always spend time with you,” Minseok reminded him. “I spend more time with you than with my roommate. And I live with my roommate.”

“You’ll live with me one day,” Luhan said. “Unless you get sick of me, which of course is always possible.”

“That’s doubtful. But it sounds fun, Lu. I haven’t been to any festivals in like, three years. And you’re right,” he admitted. “School is sort of exhausting me.” He hadn’t even realized, but Luhan somehow knew him better than he did himself.

“Me too,” Luhan agreed.

“I don’t even think I’ve seen you studying this whole year!”

“That’s not true. You’ve studied with me!”

“Yeah, but studying with you only lasts for like ten minutes, because you get bored and you’re all ‘How can you expect me to study when you’re there being all y’-”

“That’s your fault,” Luhan argued. “I can’t help it if you’re all pensive and y when you’re reading.” Minseok rolled his eyes, but couldn’t hold back his smile.

“You’re going to fail all your classes, and you can’t blame me when that happens.”

“Meanwhile, you’ll be in the top of our grade, and you can support us and our family,” Luhan grinned.

Minseok’s heart stuttered. Our family? What did he mean by that? Did… did Luhan want kids? Luhan seemed to notice that he stiffened, because he looked up at him again, brow furrowed.

“What’s wrong? Are you not looking forward to being the breadwinner?” he asked lightly, but his eyes were serious.

Minseok shook his head. “No, that’s not it. Just… You said – family…”

Luhan bit his lip. “I did?” he said quietly. “Sorry, ‘Seok, I didn’t… I mean, I haven’t even asked you about it. It’s just something I think about, you know… If you don’t want kids, we don’t have to…”

“No, no, that’s not it!” Minseok said quickly. “It’s just that I didn’t know you wanted kids. And – I can’t exactly give you them.”

“That’s okay,” Luhan promised. “We can adopt them, if you want. Or get a surrogate. I’m not worried about that. I just… I really like the idea of having a family with you.”

Minseok smiled. He was okay with that. He could have a family with Luhan, if that’s what he wanted.

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, okay?” he said. “After school. After the wedding. For now, I’m just gonna worry about that festival. And finals.”

“Finals are literally months away,” Luhan told him. “And you don’t have to worry about the festival.”

“With you, I think I should.”

“You’re so mean to me,” Luhan pouted.

“I’m supposed to be doing homework right now, and I’m sitting here listening to all your plans for the rest of our lives. That is not mean. That is being a loving fiancé.”

“Fair enough.”

Minseok kissed his forehead. “Are you warm yet?”

“Maybe a little too warm,” Luhan said, smirking suspiciously. “I think I might have to start taking off my clothes.”

“No. I need to study!” Minseok already knew his plans.

But he didn’t have the heart to stop him.

People were swarming everywhere. After months of spending time here in his life, you would think he’d be used to it all, but no, he hated it. And he hated dragging his boyfriend along. Okay, he didn’t drag him along, the boy came willingly, but he didn’t like it anyway. It was no fun in this place. It was full of sickness and sadness and pain and misery. At least today, they were there for a good reason. And hopefully, this would be the last time they would ever have to be in this stupid hospital.

Then again, Baekhyun said that every single time he left it, and here he was, back again. However, after six months of wearing the stupid cast on his leg, he was getting it removed today. He would be free from anything holding him together. That would be nice.

He was sitting in the waiting room with Chanyeol, and when his name was called, Chanyeol helped him to the doctor’s room, but was told to wait outside. “He’ll be out shortly,” the doctor assured them both.

After finally get his cast removed, the doctor asked Baekhyun how he felt, asked him to try and walk, and if he had any questions or concerns. He was thinking he didn’t, but then he thought of Chanyeol, and something came to mind.

“Will I be able to have now?” he wondered, and the doctor looked surprised, but remained professional.

“It shouldn’t be a problem, so long as you’re careful,” he said. “I didn’t know you were having ual relations, Baekhyun.”

“You’re a few years behind, then, doc.”

“You have a girlfriend, then?” the doctor asked. “And you’re using the proper protection?”

“No, and no,” Baekhyun said. “I don’t need protection.”

“Are you trying for a child?”

“I don’t think I’m going to get pregnant,” Baekhyun said honestly. The doctor was clearly confused, so he explained. “I have with Chanyeol. The guy who came here with me.” Before the doctor could say any more, he continued, “So it’s alright if we have now? Like, tonight maybe?”

“I – yes, it should be fine.”

“Good. I mean, we’ve been doing it the past couple months anyway, but it’s good to get the doctor’s word on it. Thanks!” And without really being dismissed, he left. Chanyeol was back in the waiting room, pacing. He caught sight of Baekhyun and his lack of a cast, and grinned wildly.

“You’re free!” Chanyeol said, hurrying over and hugging him.

“The doctor said we can have now,” Baekhyun smirked.

“You asked?” Chanyeol laughed. Baekhyun nodded. “Well, maybe we should head home, then.”

“Okay, but let’s walk,” Baekhyun suggested cheerfully. “Since I finally can.”

“We’re going to your house, then,” Chanyeol said. “I can’t wait long enough to go to my house.”

“You sound so deprived.”

“It’s been two weeks, Baek. I haven’t even slept in the same house as you since school started.”

“Which was two weeks ago,” Baekhyun said. “I’ve been wanting to hold off so you’d be excited for today.”

“Well, I’ve been dying, so you’ve done well.”

“Good,” Baekhyun smiled. “Are you gonna be good tonight?”

“No,” Chanyeol growled, pulling Baekhyun close to his side and kissing beside his ear. “I will not be good tonight. And you will not be good tomorrow.”

Baekhyun smirked. “Oh, you’re assuming I’ll be the one taking all your wrath then? We’ll see about that.”

“We can take turns,” Chanyeol decided. “Don’t plan on sleeping tonight.”

Baekhyun laughed. “Even if I was up for it, your sleepy will fall asleep as soon as you finish. I know how you are.”

“Not tonight,” Chanyeol argued. “I’ve had to sleep for the past two weeks. Every. Single. Night. I will not be able to sleep tonight.”

“I’m holding you to that.”

(And honestly, Chanyeol lasted for far longer than Baekhyun expected that night, but he still ended up falling asleep before midnight, and Baekhyun ended up sleeping very, very well.)