Chapter 41 - Unfinished Chapters

Monkey Love Fishy II - Forever and Always

D POV           

            This time, I was the one to make the grand gesture. And I knew how to do it.  The company prepared a concert for my comeback and soon the newspaper headlines were splashed with the fact that I was back, that SM had been tricking everyone the whole time with filming a secret drama.

            I knew it was dangerous to truly tell what happened but I could also apologize in a way that would make him know. And so after we performed, most of which was awkward because he refused to look at me.

            But that was okay because the moment after our member introductions were finished, I grabbed the microphone. I was panting hard and then out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kyuhyun walk in with a bunch of flowers and balloons.

            “Hello Elfs! I know it’s been a long time since I’ve met with you and I still want to thank you for the love that you remain for me. I want to thank you for always being by my side and for supporting this pabo even when he doesn’t deserve it. I know I made everyone worry and that was not my intention. And so I’m sorry.”

            I looked at Eunhyuk. “There is one person who probably didn’t ever fall for my tricks and was completely angry at me and now I have to apologize.”

            I walked over to him with the props that Kyu handed to me and knelt on my knee. It was a small gesture, one that could be hinted at variously, or one that could be taken as innocent. “Lee Eunhyuk, I’m sorry. Will you forgive me?”

            I wanted to say more but for the sake of discretion, I didn’t. He looked at me and I turned up my charm. I gave him my widest smile and he rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah, but no more scaring the other members like this again or else.”

            And I threw away the flowers as I ran to give him a large hug. That night we went out to dinner because it was also my birthday. I sat next to him and stared at all my members around me. Everything felt right and fitted.

            I leaned into Kyuhyun who was busy having a drinking contest with Ryeowook. “Thank you.”

            He smirked and raised his glass. “To you, Hyung, and all your idiocy.”

E POV

            That night, we were sitting in my bedroom and I looked at him. “Hey, Donghae, happy birthday.”

            It was really simple and he smiled at me. “Wouldn’t have been the same without you, you know. Which was why I was planning on coming back. Even if you had gotten over me, even if you did hate me, I would still be here.”

            I bit my lip and nodded. “Yeah. We have to thank Kyu and Yoona for a lot. Those two are really devoted to keeping us together.”

            He laughed and nodded. I went over to sit by him and we fit together, perfectly shaped and I sighed. “I’m glad you came back.”

            Donghae kissed the top of my head. “Me too. I’m glad you weren’t as stubborn as I am and made me see how much I need you.”

            I laughed a little. “Or rather, you’re glad I’m just as stubborn as you are because I wouldn’t let you go.”

            I jumped up, remembering something. “Oh Donghae! Your birthday present.”

            He blinked. “You’ve had one week and you already forgave me enough to give me a birthday present?”

            “It’s been something I’ve been working on for a long time.”

            I went to my printer and held out a bound book. Engraved in gold were the words Monkey Love Fishy. He looked at me and I urged him to open it.

            “It’s hard to love someone you know you can’t have. It’s harder to love someone you know you can’t have and doesn’t love you back. My story~”

            He looked up at me after reading those few words. “Is this… our story?”

            I nodded. “Yeah. It began as mine but then I went to ask Kyuhyun and Yoona for their turn of events and eventually, I wrote this.”

            Donghae smiled and I urged him on. “Come on, there’s only a couple of hundred of pages. Read!”

            He opened his mouth in protest but continued. I watched as Donghae read the last words, and saw him mouth our motto.

            He looked up at me and sure enough, there were tears. “Hyukkie.”

            “The story’s not finished. There are more chapters left. But I wanted to know if we could write it together.”

            He placed the book by his side and tipped my chin and stared into my eyes and just like, my heart was truly healed.

            He nodded and pressed his lips against mine. “Thank you, Hyukkie.”

            “Monkey love Fishy,” I whispered.

            “Forever and always.”

 

And that's it.