Smile

Priorities

Priorities

 

 

“Did you buy the one shirt I wanted?”

Sunggyu felt another sigh leave his lungs as he listened to his sister talk through the phone.

“Yeah, the baby pink from this year’s Celci’s line. Also made a pretty dent in my wallet? I think so.”

He heard the filling laughter on the other line. He himself wasn’t smiling, but his voice sounded as though he was.

“Sunggyu?”

Her concerning voice echoed in his mind. He hummed, grabbing the cup of warm milk tea from his counter and plopping onto his cream couch.

“Why the sudden visit? I thought you didn’t want to come to Japan, since you were so adamant about staying in Seoul before.”

Pressing his lips into a thin line, he steadied his voice away from the receiver so his sister wouldn’t get too worried. “Just miss you two, mom more than you. Haven’t seen her in a while.”

“Yeah, that while being six years of not saying a word other than short emails. Seriously, what’s wrong?”

He stayed silent for a couple of moments, gathering his thoughts. The sudden call was surprising, though it was foreseen to happen sooner or later. He booked a flight a month’s time from now, to Kyoto, planning to stay in an apartment over there. His sister will pick him up at the airport at Tokyo, and maybe he’d visit his mom while over there too. It wasn’t set when he’d return to Seoul, but he hoped for a long stay in Japan.

“Did you drop the phone? No wait, are you ignoring me?”

 He laughed to show his presence, in the back of his mind that itching dark thought of not wanting to talk growing stronger by the minute. He pushed the irritation back; it was his sister after all.

“I’m still here, my lovely sister.”

She grunted with disgust at his charming tone, “Don’t say those kinds of things. It doesn’t fit you at all.”

“Suppose so.”

A pause, indicating her hesitation. A few breaths later, she sounded through the line, “Does this have something to do with Woohyun?”

He tried not to hesitate like his sister, to play it off cool like he always said he was. Yet his heart constricted painfully. He grasped his stomach for warmth and bit his bottom lip. He felt cold, very cold.

“No, the brat’s getting married, didn’t I tell you?”

His own voice sounded disgustingly sweet, so fake to his ears. But nothing seemed real to him anymore.

“Yes, you did.” She responded, taking another pause. “Are you alright?”

“I’m ecstatic!” Mentally cringing at his own self. It felt as though he wasn’t the owner of this exultant voice going to his sibling. “He asked me to be his best man. Geez, to think he thought I would refuse!” the chuckle at the end felt distant.

Another lengthy pause, he held his breath. He thought for a moment he was caught, that his sister figured him out. After all, his actions already were more than suspicious. Booking a flight right after the wedding.

“That’s great!” a cheery tone came back through the receiver. “Give him my congrats!”

He hummed, it sounded perfectly in touch with an act though his heart contracted cold blood.

“Of course!”

“See you soon then, and don’t forget my boots!”

Another round of laughs, “Yes, of course. Bye then.”

“Bye”

Once his phone faded to a dark screen, he threw it onto the coffee table along with an empty mug stained on the inner sides with a slight orange. A sob racked his body, his head feeling heavy and tears detached themselves from the sides of his eyes. He had no control, once the other person was gone, he was alone. By himself, he always was.

Everything felt foreign.

 

*

Sunggyu lay in his bed. The curtains drawn and even his little night-light was off. He never turned it off before, but since he was hit by the news, he had it off. He knew he had no right to feel this way. He was acting spoiled and just plain stupid.

Still, his heart tore more as the days go by. The inevitable date drawing closer.

People out there have it harder than his lousy problem. There are people out there starving, unable to have access to food or clean water. While he can stand under hot waters for hours, even let the tap run. Some were , while he sat here whining about his ity, or more recently, his increase in ual activities by himself. People are killed, murdered, and even some fallen so far there’s no helping them.

There are people in comas, never knowing when they’d awaken. Some have incurable diseases, and living just to die. People are mentally challenged, and still they live in happiness. There are tales of heroes, war time inspirations and people who have achieved higher ranks through their smart minds.

People who are blind, and those that are deaf. Kids that never got to live out their lives, and people losing family.

The list goes on, people who have it tougher than himself. He berates himself for crying like a child who lost his teddy bear, but it just doesn’t stop. He feels like he’s suffering too. Knowing fully well he shouldn’t consult anyone. No one would understand fully, they would say the same thing.

He should just it up and deal with it. There’s no stopping it anyways.

What Woohyun has with that other girl is everything compared to what Sunggyu could have provided. Taking the fact that Woohyun would even accept him. The younger was always chasing skirts, of any length.

When Ailee came into the picture, Sunggyu made no move to push her out. Actually, he was the one who introduced the two, even nudged Ailee to ask Woohyun out.

And they end up in this position.

He never wanted to accept it, that Ailee had captured Woohyun’s heart so perfectly, skillfully, and in the most beautiful way possible. She was so fluid in her movements, walking seemed like a photo shoot when Sunggyu walked the same sidewalk as her. Most of the time, he’d hang back, watching the two whisper loving words and interlock hands. Her speech was impeccable, a tone that could sedate even a roaring lion. Her choice in fashion wasn’t too revealing, but very nice to look at. Wearing pale and sometimes vibrant colors, contrasting Sunggyu’s constant black and white.

Even though his heart couldn’t accept it, his mind did, and he completely approves of it. Ailee and Woohyun, such a nice ring. And their wedding couldn’t be set in a better month. Actually, one of the most beautiful months in Sunggyu’s mind.

May.

The leaves would be just turning a shade greener, the winds calm and sun not to burning just yet. Clouds hovering in the atmosphere lazily and the people just seemed so happy for the start of summer. The remains of petals and late blooming blossoms hung around just in the last stretch before they were all blown away by the wind.

They set the wedding to May seventh. Woohyun saying it could make a heart if you did some fancy curves. Sunggyu thinks it’s just like him to make hearts everywhere. The utter romantic has already given his entire heart to the girl of his dreams, and she did back to him.

It was an utterly beautiful picture, something that could be painted and be hanged in a museum. Them together is like a faraway dream that Sunggyu always pictured in his deepest thoughts, never voicing them.

It was a good thing he never voiced them, since Woohyun looks beyond happy now. He thought back to their fights from their younger days, how angry that handsome face could get, but never got toward Ailee. The shouting and yelling, the punches exchanged, things that would never touch Ailee, all directed toward him.

He felt a twisted pride grow in his dark heart, knowing that he experienced the few things Ailee would never have to know about. She would have her heart intact, full of love and joy. Sunggyu would be more than happy to take on her sorrow.

It’s his job anyways.

It wasn’t something that was spoken aloud, but something that Sunggyu had made himself without telling the others. Whenever Woohyun needed advice on how to surprise Ailee, or what to get her for the birthdays, anniversaries, Sunggyu was always there. Through Woohyun’s distress when they almost broke up from a petty fight. He was on both sides, telling Woohyun to go apologize, and advising Ailee to give the idiot some time.

They became stronger after that, thanking Sunggyu for nothing. He felt nothing, though he smiled a thousand watts and hugged them both. It was all lies, yet no one saw through him. Not even his ‘best friend’, who claims to know everything there is about Sunggyu. Whenever he hears this, it’s a genuine disapproval he says, yet everyone ignores him. Claiming he’s being humble, or just in denial.

He wants to believe he’s in denial. It seems so much stronger than a flat denial, it’s anguish. Every time he seems them together, or even hears Woohyun’s name, his heart clenches painfully and it takes a while for him to come back calmly. He wants to wish them the best life, the happiest times, and he does.

He will.

But, there’s that dark voice in the back of his head. Complaining. And he hates it so endearingly. It tells him to hate Ailee, for taking away his one chance. To kill the both of them, so they’d never live the life like Sunggyu would never get to touch. To destroy them both, telling lies and deceive their hearts.

He’s too truthful to himself to do that. He cannot bring himself to do so. It’s unfair, to Woohyun and Ailee. They have something Sunggyu would never provide, and that’s all he needs to know.

Besides all that, it was wrong from the start. To even think about loving Woohyun, to even fathom about a happy life together. It was a crime, a sin. Everyone would hate them both, never getting a single blessing from either parents.

No, Woohyun would reject him wholeheartedly. He was straight as a pole, while Sunggyu was bent too far beyond repair. He was gone, he can’t be fixed. But Woohyun had a chance at a bright future, and this was the gateway. The happy couple would have great jobs, beautiful children, and a blindingly colorful life.

Sunggyu, in a say, was banished to redemption. To think about his mistakes of loving a man. This is for the best, to rethink his mistakes. The last ten years were all a slip-up. He himself was a failure.

To his revelation back when he entered high school with Woohyun and to now, when they announced their marriage. Sunggyu had been helplessly in love with the oaf for far too long. They were next door neighbors, the best friends, the ones that always had their backs in first person shooter games.

Not lovers.

They were to be friends, nothing more. Sunggyu was a fool to think for so long, maybe Woohyun would notice the longing glances, the acts of kindness, and how he always dropped everything for him.

Very clearly, he remembers back in college. Woohyun had fallen asleep drunk from a party, obviously forgetting the massive amounts of accounting homework he had yet to do. He washed up the young boys face, as they were flat mates, and tucked him properly in bed. Having a bucket ready beside the bed once the other woken.

Sunggyu did the entire packet that night, Woohyun thinking he had done it before the party. He had no recollection of the previous night, and had left the apartment thinking Sunggyu was gone for class already.

He was passed out in the kitchen. The reason being, he hadn’t gotten any sleep for the past four days prior. To say the least, he was kicked out of music theory, though he never told Woohyun.

With his dreams of a music writer being trampled by his parents after the incident, he was forced into the path of a prosecutor, like his father. After a year of long lectures about something he hated, he dropped out of college. He’s been working at a lowly café ever since. Sunggyu could make a mean cup of coffee now, Sungjong likes his best.

Another was when he was on the way to an interview, a singer that knew one of his friends back in high school that had word of his well knowing in songwriting, sought out to see one of his works. He was already running just a few minutes late, but it was enough to strike fear into his little weakened heart.

Sitting on the bus, headphone on to cover the chatter of the world, his phone vibrated. Taking off the musical device, he evidently pressed the answer button immediately, seeing that it was Woohyun. He didn’t know it would cut his chance at showing a good amount of people his lyrics.

“H-Hyung, I need your help!”

Woohyun’s voice seemed frantic, almost fearful. It wasn’t like the arrogant bastard he knew for so long, yet being twenty-two, Sunggyu quickly acted, shuffling his mp3 player into his pocket and stuffing the headphones into his side bag.

“What’s wrong?”

Woohyun was breathing hard, trying to talk while running, he supposed. “Ailee had an accident! I’m trying to get out of the office, but I won’t make it in time before her surgery. Could you stay beside her for me? She can’t be alone before this! She’d be full of fear for the operation and—“

Sunggyu cut him off there, looking up out the bus window, the Seoul hospital clearly in view at the next stop which was just at the next corner.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be there, just so happen to be close by.”

He had two choices, be a and say he wasn’t anywhere near, or do the right thing. He chose the thing that would lead to that happy voice on the other side of the line.

“Thank you so much, Hyung!” he heard before hanging up. Gathering his bag and cap, sighing as he stepped off the bus and into the hospital.

It was a short walk, just about ten minutes. He would have made it to the interview by now; it was the next stop anyways. He walked into the lobby with hastened steps, asking for the waiting room of Ailee. The receptionist was kind, letting him through quickly.

After a few flights of stairs, and a seemingly long walk down hall ways, he stood in front of a white door, the plaque beside it clearly stating the woman inside. Taking a deep breath, he put on yet another mask.  Worry etched in his eyes, eye brows furrowed.

“Ailee!”

He opened the door, calling the name and glancing across the room to connect eyes with the girl on the hospital bed. Who seemed shocked with his entrance. He strode over, putting a hand onto his chest and heaving another heavy sigh.

“Oh gosh, thank goodness I made it in time. Are you alright? I heard from Woohyun that you were hurt. He’s held up right now, don’t worry he’ll be here soon. That stupid oaf! Gah, how can he not be here already when you—“

She coughed, stopping his rant. He looked at the smile on her face, letting go of his worry, his real worries that were truly for Ailee’s welfare, and sat beside her on the stool.

“Sunggyu, you never go outside. How were you so close?”

He stiffened, scratching his head, “Nah. Just in the area shopping for my sister. She wanted the new winter line from her favorite designer so… just shopping for her.”

“Don’t bull me, Sunggyu. What were you doing here?”

The tone made him bite his lip, looking away from those prying eyes. “I was shopping.”

The weakened women snatched up his bag from his side, him trying to take his back but the girl glared at him, stopping all his attempts. She burrowed through his small bag, finding his headphones and various music sheets. He looked away with ignominy.

“What are these… Sunggyu, don’t tell me you were on the way to an interview?”

He didn’t respond.

“Sunggyu!” She put everything back into the bag, throwing it back to him and raised her voice. “You go back to that interview right now! Isn’t this what you’ve dreamed about doing?”

Ailee attended the same college as them. She was a singer for self-publishing songs. Awe inspiring.

Sunggyu stayed in silence, taking the bag back and securing it onto his shoulder. He didn’t connect eyes anymore. “What was your accident?”

“Dammit, you’re so stubborn!” She huffed. “I just fell down a flight of stairs, got my ankle a bit busted. I’m not going to any operation, just a fix up. Woohyun exaggerated again.”

Sunggyu felt tears prick at him again, a series of small tremors running along his nerves as his fingers twitched and his heart started to burn. He coughed just a couple times.

“Still, I worry about you. Are you alright?”

Ailee had stared at him incredulously. Thinking he was some stupid person. “Sunggyu! You just threw away your future for one of Woohyun’s false alarms! Can’t you blow a fuse once and a while?”

“If I did that,” he sighed, smiling at her with that sickly sweet smile, “I wouldn’t be able to stop myself from breaking any further.”

She stopped her rage at this point, looking at him confusingly until maybe the realization hit her. She shuffled in her place, clutching the blankets. Sunggyu felt his slip up.

“I know you’re in love with Woohyun, Sunggyu, but this is too much.”

There it was. He knew Ailee had noticed, but never said anything. Once she had told him her findings, a chuckle escaped, then a few more before a roaring laugh echoed into the room and hurting his ears.

“In love? Ailee that’s your job,” he wiped the tears of his sorrow as if they were just from his forced laughter. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to do anything. I’m here for both of you, for both of your exploitations. I am yours to control, a human machine so to speak.”

“Sunggyu…” she reached up to grab his arm, but he quickly moved away to the door. “Wait, I’m against this idea. You’re hurting yourself.”

“That’s the main purpose.” He turned to face her just one last time; he could hear the rushed steps from down the hall. “Ailee, I want to be hurt. So I can stop this feeling. You earned his heart, as I watched from far away. So just… let me do what I can for you two. As much as I want to fade away, I know Woohyun would be suspicious.”

He ended with a hard glare, his eyes most likely the harshest he’s ever given, and he felt so bad using it against his friend, but it was to be done. “None of this is to be said to Woohyun. End of discussion.”

His final word ended with Woohyun slamming the door open and rushing to Ailee’s side. Then bowing to Sunggyu in thanks for keeping her company.

He smiled, Ailee not believing it anymore though she almost did. “It’s alright, Woohyun. I was just hanging around anyways.”

Ailee was not happy with him after that.

 

Three years later, and he feels that Ailee has all but forgotten the incident. Much to his happiness, though he watched as they grew closer than ever after that and would notice Ailee kissing Woohyun whenever he was in sight.

It hurt him, it really did. But it was for the best. Ailee was doing what he had subliminally asked, and couldn’t be more thankful. Yet, his heart didn’t let go.

Still hasn’t let go of Woohyun.

He hopes, to whatever god that happens to be out there, to set him straight before the wedding. For Woohyun’s sake.

 

*

“Sunggyu, my man! Thought you weren’t gunna make it!”

Out of all days, he swore that Woohyun would at least be able to remember just one date, yet his ‘best friend’ forgot, again. Just like he forgot the last four years. Ailee too.

He sighed, walking toward the booth through crowds of younger people, hands with drinks and the loud booming music pulsing at his ears. He strained to hear the welcoming shouts from Woohyun and his other friends. Sungjong, Dongwoo, and Hoya were at the table with the groom. Sunggyu finally sliding into his spot beside the man in line for the ring.

Pasting on a smile, he thanked Dongwoo who passed him a cherry flavored iced drink, nonalcoholic of course.  If he were to get drunk here, who knows what his subconscious mind would say or even do? Best not risk anything. Besides, the day so far had been pretty normal. He should end it normally, just like the past four years.

“Sunggyu! Look at him, the man in the limelight, Woohyun!” Hoya laughed, slinging an arm around the groom-to-be from his other side. “To think, marriage! Can’t believe it’s been six years already!”

“Yeah,” Woohyun nodded sipping whatever beer or some he had taken a liking to, “Six years of the best girlfriend. Now I can say, she’s all mine, legally.”

Dongwoo laughed in his seat beside Hoya, also drinking some fruit stuff without alcohol. He couldn’t hold up the taste. “She’s always been yours. We wouldn’t even want to interfere. Right, Sunggyu-hyung?”

“Of course,” he idly drank from the glass. Looking at the garnish fruits on the rim, “Woohyun and Ailee are the cutest couple, how can we even think about breaking them apart?”

There were the tasteless fake lies that leave his mouth every time. In some cases, he wished someone would point out his flawed wordings that were forced out by his will for a better life. But no one ever caught it, besides Ailee. She wasn’t here, and she definitely upheld the little secret from three years ago. Though maybe sometimes, he wished she hadn’t. So Woohyun could punch him in the face and let him move on completely.

He suffers instead.

Woohyun let a laugh ring out, resounded into Sunggyu’s ears like the best melody played. He shook his head; trying to stop the constant compliments toward the younger but his brain didn’t understand his heart, and the misguidance led to further confusion. Leaving a pulsing pain not only in his heart, but his mind and nerves as well. Making him sensitive and easily aggravated. These were the worst times to talk to Sunggyu, and he didn’t want to be in a club of all places to have his mental breakdown.

“Thanks, my best man!” Woohyun slapped his back; each of the three pats sent the wrong messages down his pants. The masochist inside of him led him into dirty thoughts and bad feelings. “Always got my back, through thick and thin!”

His voice was louder, since the bass music thundered down onto them. They all shuffled onto the dance floor, all except Sunggyu, who stayed behind in the booth drinking more cherry juice. Sungjong rounded back to retrieve his drink, when he saw Sunggyu reaching for Scotch on the side of the table. The youngest swatted the hand as he came up, Sunggyu glaring at him with small eyes and a droopy lash line.

“Hyung, you can’t drink here. If you get drunk, it’s all downhill from there,” taking the Scotch away from him. Sungjong huffed, “Think about Woohyun-hyung’s big day!”

I’ve always been thinking about him. He wanted to yell out, lash at Sungjong. Maybe smash that oaf’s head with glass and the bar counter. Yet his anger channeled into one place, his heart, and heatedly tore at the already damaged sinews.

“You’re right, Sungjong. Sorry about that.” He smiled, again. The forged smiled that seemed so familiar with his face. “Just kinda wanted a little pang.”

“Just eat some pineapple, hyung,” he pointed to the fruit garnishing the rims of more of the cups and plates. “Very potent if I do say so myself, tonight.”

“Alright, thanks.”

And so the younger waltzed back into the fray, a glass of champagne in his hands. Sunggyu scoffed, flicking his wrist up to call over a server.

“Yes, may I help you?” the young man with the correct uniform a little shriveled asked.

“A bottle of wine, on Nam’s tab, please.”

“Of course, right away, sir.”

The young man went off, into the crowds while Sunggyu moved himself, closer to the bar and away from the booth. When the man came back, quite surprised at his movements, he set the bottle beside his spot near the stools and left the glass untouched. Sunggyu tipped him fairly well.

He took the bottle, shoving it into his bag. Since it was on Nam’s tab, he wouldn’t get docked. By the end of the night, he foresaw all four of them drunk, unable to even remember who got what. Sunggyu getting away with a free bottle of wine. They couldn’t say he didn’t know, being supposedly sober the entire time.

Standing up, he made haste toward the door. Leaving abruptly just as he entered. He hated the couple of slaps he got on his while trying to escape.

 

*

He sat on the plush dark maroon stood, swiveling the red wine around in his glass while the soft jazz filled the air smoothly. The drastic change from heavy electric sounds to a classier piano and violin, saxophone and clarinets, the trumpeter quite skilled as well; made Sunggyu feel that this was the place better suited for his tastes. His favorite bar in the city, located in quite a suspicious spot, but Sunggyu would like it nowhere else.

In a tight alley, with just a small kick out sign in the front, lies the bar called ‘Corner’. Very small, quite dark, but soothing and relaxing. There were no hookers, or even drug dealers. A place of class and people who just want to sit back and muse.

The bartender looked at him with a curious gaze, Sunggyu just shrugging before sipping the middle-aged wine, tasting the bitter and well as the honeyed flavor dance along his tongue and slide down his throat. A slow process, but ultimately the right way to drink such wine.

The taste is what shows the characteristics after all.

“Something happen?” the bartender picked a glass, beginning to polish it to an expert shine in his hands. “You’ve been drinking wine lately.”

“Lately,” Sunggyu sighed. “Yes, very much so lately.”

The man hummed, turning the glass with great suave and effortless handiwork. Sunggyu staring at the wipe that kept in circles. After some time, the bartender sighed, placing the glass down before going to the back and returning with a small box in his hand.

“I take it that he forgot this year as well?”

Sunggyu blinked, his head rising away from the arm that it was resting in. The sigh left his body before he willed himself not to, a slight nod confirming his friend’s suspicions. “This year too, G.O.” adding in a mutter. “I’m such a sad person.”

“Your time will surely come. Just not now,” G.O. patted his shoulder, pushing the little box toward him. “Though this is now, go ahead and open it.”

A scoff left, but a real smile went onto his face. It felt maybe a sham as well; it’s been such a while since his last genuine smile. It felt good. Unlatching the overlapping folds of the small box, it unraveled to present a strawberries cream and red velvet cupcake square. One strawberry on the top.

He looked back into his friend, “Thank you.”

G.O. chuckled, patting his hair. “Happy birthday, Sunggyu. Turning twenty-six now.”

“Yep,” he plucked the berry off the cake, eating it first. “And I’ll enjoy it with this cake and wine as my best pals.”

“Just like these past few years.”

They continued chatting, Sunggyu enjoying the moist cake and wine. The talk with G.O. was comforting, jumping from topics at work to how Sunggyu was leaving for Japan soon. Woohyun’s wedding, etc.

By the time it was closing time, five am, and Sunggyu was beyond drunk, just like the other years. He had downed at least three bottles of wine, a little champagne and a couple shots of Scotch. Mumbling things about his love life, how twisted his priorities have become, and what the hell he was doing with his life anyways. G.O. sat through it all, listening to all of Sunggyu’s problems as the man vented out in drunken slurs and hiccups interrupting his long rants.

And it ended with him driving back to Sunggyu’s small flat, carrying the dejected drunk up a couple flights of stairs, shoving his hands into the other’s pockets to find the keys, and then laying Sunggyu down in bed, making sure there was a clear way to the bathroom as he crashed onto the couch.

Around noon, G.O. would awaken to stumbling steps to the toilet, a steady stream of curses, and then the retching of Sunggyu puking his sorrows away. He felt bad for the poor guy, stuck in an endless dark cloud of lost love.

Maybe next year, G.O. wouldn’t need to see Sunggyu at Corner in this time of year again.

 

*

“Wow, don’t you look like , Kim.”

“Shut your yap, Jung.” Sunggyu rubbed his temples, willing the hangover to let up but it continued to bash him with a series of different headaches at once. “Go check inventory or something, I need a moment.”

“No kidding,” Daehyun made his move to get out of the predatory gaze of his elder barista. “Kim, just take it easy, I’ll handle the front.”

Sunggyu groaned, standing up straight without holding his head, “No, Jung. You check inventory, I’m fine.”

His younger co-worker stood hesitating for a bit, before going back with a clipboard. Rummaging through the stocks of coffee beans and fruit. Sunggyu relieved himself of another sigh, thinking about why everyone was hesitating around him lately.

Yes, lately has just been a rather wonky circle. Going in the same direction, though mis-drawn, still ending in the same place as it started.

Even Daehyun saw his differences, last year he had acted the same way. After April twenty-eighth, he came into the little coffee house with dark circles, a stumble, hunched shoulders and a splitting headache. Alcohol reeked from his unchanged clothes, and the regular customers knew it was that time of year. When the nice barista named Kim Sunggyu would walk in looking as if he went through death itself but came to work anyways, people were sure not to cross the thin line.

The occurrence first happened four years ago, and the few patrons that still went to the small corner stop for a cup of coffee knew to keep minimal with their exchanges to the short black haired male. Sunggyu would lash out with a quite impressive length of curses in a sentence if you spoke something of wrong to him. It was just April twenty-ninth.

Daehyun faced that wrath first hand last year, his first year working at the café. Although, Sunggyu apologized the next day, with a hand full of candies and a series of bows. Daehyun was informed by the manager to just forgive the man.

He was already broken; don’t crack him anymore that need be.

“You know, your hair would look dashing if you actually did something with it.”

Sunggyu turned back from the cashier to see Daehyun throw the clipboard onto the counter, slumping into a chair.

“That so?”

“Yeah,” he kicked back, legs crossed. “I think brown would suit you, and maybe grow it out a little. You might look good, Kim.”

“Thanks, Jung,” he scoffed. “But whatever, appearance is for people who can carry themselves.”

 

*

Setting down a cappuccino and a sandwich onto the table, his friend looking up amused with his appearance, as his own was a chef’s uniform.

“Thanks, Gyu.” The chef took a small sip from the drink, letting the creamy coffee drive the senses alert with caffeine. “Tasty.”

“Always a pleasure serving, Henry,” Sunggyu chuckled. He flagged up a hand, indicating he was taking a break from the peeping tom over the counter. Daehyun scoffed, grinning as he turned back to man the cashier. “How’s the restaurant?”

“Mimi and I have been flourishing, and some more regulars are beginning to appear. You should visit sometime, I’ll give you half price off~” Henry shook at his arm vigorously, trying to convince him to eat one of many meals at Henry’s new shop.

He swatted away the hand, taking a seat across from his cooking friend while laughing a couple times, “I’ll see what I can do.”

Henry was one of the regulars at the small café, always here for some brunch at eleven in the morning. Switching around his choices depending on his mood, sometimes Zhoumi would tag along. Sunggyu felt familiar with this friend, who was just a few months younger than himself. Though their lives were drastically different; Henry chasing his dreams in the culinary and performing arts while Sunggyu stayed stationary in this little café down the block without a reason other than trying to pay his rent off in time. Having already lost his light.

“So,” Henry munched on his sandwich, “The wedding is just about a week’s time away, and guess what Woohyun does? Calls me the other day for catering, the nerve!”

Sunggyu scratched the back of his neck sheepishly, coughing once awkwardly, “Yeah, they were having troubles with their last cater, so I recommended you.”

Henry hummed, satisfied that Sunggyu would recommend him first. He nodded, swallowing his food, “Explains the sudden appearance a couple days ago.”

“So they did go over?” Sunggyu smiled wider, his face felt it could rip at any moment. “Anything they took a liking too?”

“They’re aiming for a small tropical feel. So Ailee requested pineapples and Woohyun wanted rose water in other things. Picky, those two,” Henry huffed. “But still, we decided on a wonderful selection and a beautiful cake.”

His smile stayed on, though another tug at his heartstrings build vile in the back of his throat. Pouring acid on the open wound. No, Henry was not doing this for him to suffer, he never told his friend. It was Sunggyu’s choice.

“They were made for each other,” he agreed, beginning to stand. “Those two are like silverware, your shampoo and soap, water and air, the moon and stars. You need both to have a complete set.”

Henry snorted, setting the cup back onto the plate, standing to leave as well. “Nice description. No wonder you’re their best friend.” He hugged Sunggyu before saying goodbye.

“Yeah…” Sunggyu waved bye back, the versatile man leaving his premises. He looked back onto the table, staring at the stained coffee cup and tiny crumbs littering the plate and a bit of the table. The brown marked of the cup all slowly pulling downward, and later if left to dry, hard to wash off. Picking the dishes up, he made the venture back into the kitchen.

“Best friends…”

 

*

“And a toast for the groom!”

The men lifted their glasses high, shouting loudly in the beating club booth. Downing the beers and alcohol in one go. Sunggyu sat calmly beside his three other friends taking paced sips from his smoothie. A girl’s choice, quote Hoya, but he ignored the snarky kid.

Woohyun sat laughing at his bachelor’s party. The second one. After a few days, the kids had complained that Sunggyu had run away from the last one and it wasn’t a real bachelor’s party without him. Much to his disapproval, here they met for a second night out drinking and partying until morning.

He watched as his friends swig another can of beer, the fermented wheat and barley tunneling down to their stomachs, the man’s drink. Personally, Sunggyu only drank beer when he was looking for a cheap way to get drunk. Other than that, he settled for champagnes and wines instead, fitting his standard taste.

Woohyun gave him a shake, removing him from his musings. That dazzling smile again on pearly teeth, making Sunggyu’s stomach do unnecessary flips and remain unsettled. He began to hate that smile.

“Hyung!” Woohyun shouted over the booming music, taking another gulp of beer. His breath heavy with alcohol, “Don’t run this time, okay? We can’t afford another party!”

A round of laughter was well received from the groom’s joke, Sunggyu chuckling along with them. “Yes, your majesty,” he rolled his eyes. “As you wish.”

His best friend flashed another smile, Sunggyu suddenly feeling sick from things other than alcohol and the scent of sweat. Woohyun patted his back, yet they felt like stabs, “Good, cause Ailee would smack me again if you’re not the one carrying me home!”

Hoya jumped into the conversation, crashing into his side, “Yeah, she only trusts Sunggyu-hyung to bring this idiot home! Dongwoo is so irresponsible!”

“Am not!” Dongwoo cried. “I look after all of you when Sunggyu isn’t here!”

Sunggyu snickered, “Says the guy who got his car towed last week.”

“That was just one time!”

The laughed again, chiming the air and even charming a couple of ladies on the sides. Sunggyu could feel the stripping gazes from the back of his head. He shifted a bit in his seat.

Woohyun pushed Hoya away, telling him to go off on a dance battle with Dongwoo. The two twiddled off, wiggling with bodies like fluid or machines. The groom nudged his arm.

“What’s wrong?”

Sunggyu set his glass down, letting a few loose laughs while slinging an arm over Woohyun’s shoulders.

“Bro, I’m fine. Why’d you ask?”

Woohyun didn’t look convinced, his frown growing. “No, you never leave so suddenly, unless something is bothering you. Sunggyu, you’re my most trusted friend that I’d tell everything. Is it not the same with you?”

No, it isn’t.

Sunggyu continued his plastered smile, shaking Woohyun to get rid of those concerning thoughts. “With my life, Hyun. I was just feeling a little sick, sorry for not telling you.”

The other’s frown did not disappear, Sunggyu silently grew panic in his lungs. He hoped Woohyun wouldn’t remember what April twenty-eighth meant. He wanted for the younger to forget all his information, to not make it up. After all, he already forgot the last four years, it wouldn’t make a difference if it were more now. Ailee was more important.

“Then you should go home. To be honest, you look kinda bad.”

Sunggyu shook his head, reassuring Woohyun with a friendly smile, before nudging the romantic’s head with his fists. “I’m fine you stupid kid! Now enjoy the rest of the night, its only time before you’re married off!”

Woohyun finally smiled, breaking Sunggyu’s sudden panic. “Let’s party the night away!”

 

*

Stumbling off the lift, vaguely aware of the drunkenness edging onto his brain bit by bit, Sunggyu shuffled him and the body slung on his shoulders closer to the apartment door, already half past four in the morning. None of these past days were good sleep anymore for Sunggyu, so he hadn’t cared where he spent the night. Even though he was sober enough to drive here safely, he was sure that he would not be able to return to his flat in the same manner. Sleeping in his car it is, then.

“Gyu~” a slurred whine came from his shoulder, the drunk man waving his arms like a child. Sunggyu didn’t need to think twice before choosing not to stick his hand in Woohyun’s pockets, leaning over to retrieve the key in the flower pot. “I’m a married man!”

“Yes, I know that very well, Woohyun,” Sunggyu kicked open the door softly, dragging the man into the living room. Plopping the body onto the couch. “Go clean up and sleep. I don’t think Ailee would want you reeking of beer and ash from cigars.”

“Ailee! Ah, my love!” Woohyun smiled dumbly. Full of his idiocy and unrestrained love, “Where’s is my beautiful wife? Fiancé! My most lovely, precious woman of my life!”

Sunggyu took each bullet, standing relatively still in the middle of the living room while Woohyun flaunted onwards about his true love. He talked about her beautiful hair, her fair skin, the never ending love they shared. The bonds stronger than the steel wire suspending buildings, or the bones in his body. The support they received, and the blessings sent. Everything.

Everything Sunggyu wanted, but could not have.

He was laughing ironically in his head, standing here and listening to the things he wanted to hear about him. Not Ailee. His sick pleasures sedated by listening and thinking Woohyun was talking about him. Describing him in such a tone, with that gaze and that smile. To share something even more meaningful than a morning together.

It wasn’t possible.

He started for the door, feeling the tears prick at him again, heart wrenching and lungs burning as he held in cries. Only to be stopped by another voice.

“Heading home already?”

Ailee stood in the short hall entrance to the living room on the other side of the room, leaning to one side. Woohyun falling asleep already as she pats his hair.

“Yeah,” he coughed out, trying to sound at least sober. “Just dropping off the man of the day.”

Ailee sighed, flinging a blanket over the sleeping male, standing in her blue night gown that flowed behind her effortlessly. It made her look like some sort of winter goddess. Sunggyu tried not to stare.

“You’re drunk,” she stated. Crossing her arms with a frown. “Want to stay here for the night?”

Is this a test?

Sunggyu turned to face her, smiling with the same sick feeling he’s condemned with every day. “Thank you, Ailee. But I will have to decline; I have a report to write up tonight.”

“Sunggyu, we’re not in college anymore. You don’t have any reports to write.”

Sunggyu bite his lip, slowly inching his way closer to the door, “Then I have to go to work.”

“It’s four-forty in the morning,” she snorted. “There isn’t a job that calls for such an hour.”

The barista laughed, and kept on laughing, “I got a job at the convenience store.” He turned the knob, still giggling to himself. Ailee frowned, watching Sunggyu leave. “Bye bye!”

The farewell was too sweet, and when Sunggyu closed the door politely, he ran toward the stairs. Pushing open the door and recklessly making his way down the stairs dangerously. Teetering between safety and maybe permanent damage. He stumbled off his own footing, slamming into the wall for support and he toppled down the flights with terrible focus. He fell on the last set, landing on his hands and face.

His vision was blurred, swaying side to side as he made his way back to the car parked in the garage. He slipped in, buckling his seat belt yet opening the windows just a tad. Locking all doors and pulling the seat back into a recline. Placing his head over his hands, he willed himself to sleep and wake in about an hour to drive off to work.

Tears started to fall down his cheeks before he got the chance to slip into unconsciousness. Woohyun’s words ripping apart his heart and nerves burned with hatred of his own body. His nails dug into his palms, leaving bright red marks on his skin and he chewed his bottom lip away.

Only hearing a faint metal door closing before sleep took him away.

 

*

He checked his tie again, making sure it was tugged up to the perfect spot, not a speck of dirt on his suit, and the black stiffly ironed to sleek perfection. Sunggyu checked his hair once again, against his car window, pulling strands here and there for the best look. Taking a small chap stick, he applied the cool mint across his lips that were chewed relentlessly over the course of these few days. Trying to cover the dehydration and his make-up quite convincing. Stepping away, he made his path toward the church’s back entrance, the groom’s room.

Inside, Woohyun was frantically fixing his tuxedo, worrying about his hair and ultimately excited to get the ceremony over with. They had the late plum blossoms drifting in the air, on the green hills of a small church. Both families were here, Dongwoo and Hoya somewhere in the back. Sungjong, who carpooled with them? And Sunggyu, the best man.

“Ah, Gyu!” Woohyun called him out so fondly, it was always misinterpreted by him. “You’re here! Help with my tux, do I look good?”

Sunggyu smiled. The smile that got him through everything, his pain and anguish caused by the very man in front of him. Though all the blame was on Sunggyu mostly, for falling for this straight idiot. He shouldn’t have even thought about it in the first place, look where it got him. He should have been burned to hell much earlier.

“The most dashing I’ve seen you, Woohyun. I bet you’ll see yourself as perfection once the wedding movie is completed.”

Woohyun’s smile great two centimeters, his worries seemed to lessen. He hugged Sunggyu, who took a while to return it, “Thanks so much, Gyu! My everlasting friend, my best man! Thank you!”

Sunggyu bit the inside of his cheek, willing himself not to cry. “All the pleasure, Woohyun. I should be thanking you.”

“Why?” Woohyun pulled away, laughing. “You’ve been here for everything, you introduced us! I should be serving at your foot right now!”

Sunggyu shook his head, he felt himself faltering, but his smile stayed intact. He closed his eyes, just in case they showed other things. Sungjong often told him that his eyes were the most truthful.

“Just live a happy life with Ailee, that’s all I need.”

Woohyun didn’t say anything after this, Sunggyu kept his eyes closed so he wouldn’t have to see Woohyun’s face. Another lady entered the room.

“Kim Sunggyu?”

He turned away from Woohyun, smiling still, “Yes?”

“The Bride wants to see you.”

 

*

He knocked onto the oak door, a voice telling him to enter from the other side. Walking into the room to find Ailee alone, without her girls.

“So you attended?” she grabbed his hand, gently as if he were glass. “I thought you wouldn’t.”

“This is my last role, my last obligation before I disappear. Woohyun’s last wish is for me to be his best man, and I will grant it, no matter what my feelings are. Those are irrelevant. I just want to make this the most happy for the both of you.”

He stayed still, Ailee standing in her beautiful gown, the veil and everything. The time of the wedding draws to only twenty minutes away.

“You don’t have to do this. Sunggyu,” she took a breath, her eyes full of concern. “Aren’t you hurting? Doesn’t it just seem too much?”

“No,” Sunggyu laughed, that smile making its way back onto his face. “Nothing will ever be too much for your sake.”

Ailee stepped back, appalled with his smile and answer. She looked disgusted at him, and he accepted every glare and ounce of hatred. “I always thought you were delusional, Sunggyu, but this is too far. You’re sick, twisted! Sunggyu, you need to set yourself straight. Woohyun’s married! I’m married!” she breathed, Sunggyu just standing there, still with that sick smile on his face. “I want you to move on already. Don’t you think your six years of suffering is enough?”

“Yes, I understand.” He bowed the full ninety degrees, one hand over his chest and the other behind his waist. “As I said before, anything I feel is irrelevant. There is no need to be so concerned about my wellbeing; I’m more than happy with my life.”

I’m dying inside, mentally and physically.

“I’ll always support you two.” He went on.

I just want to disappear already.

“I wish you the happiest of lives, Ailee. Woohyun will treat you well, I know it.”

I brought this upon myself, not you Ailee. This pain is entirely my fault. You have nothing to do with it.

“After all, I’m his best friend.”

Thank you for putting up with my madness. This is my final stage.

 

*

The wedding was more beautiful than Sunggyu could have wished for. Everything was perfect, as he saw to every detail himself and made sure no one screwed up. He played his role as the best man just like Woohyun wanted. And the two married off into happiness. The banquet was next, Sunggyu smiling throughout the entire ceremony.

He felt like it was enough. He was at his limit.

Saying he will be there for the dinner, at Henry’s, he locked himself in his car and slammed his head onto the wheel. Taking off the tie quickly and shoving the key into the slot, the engine coming to life as he drove away.

Maddening at him, the ideas kept running through his head.

Woohyun found his loved one, why can’t you? Why are you like this? Why did you continue to stay around them?

His foot hit the accelerator, the speed gaining as his rage ensued. Six years of pent up emotions, no seven years. Seven years of watching his own love go to someone else ten times better than himself. Making himself suffer because he was Woohyun’s best friend. Dropping his dreams and goals for the welfare of Woohyun.

He suffered long enough, as Ailee said.

Your pain is nothing compared to others.

Sunggyu let the tears fall freely from his eyes, far away from those people; he was racing back to his flat that was going to be sold the next day. Slamming a parking besides the building after a long drive, tears continued to fall. The drops made a small wet stain on his pants, and he stood up out of the car to go up the lift. He slammed open the door, grabbing the suitcase already there before hand.

Nothing was in the apartment; he took one last sweep to check if he forgot anything. He sent a text to his sister that he’d be boarding soon, not waiting for a reply before throwing his phone at the wall, smashing the screen and tidbits flying off.

He resigned from his position in the café, Daehyun would find about it tomorrow. He never did visit Henry’s, the chef would find out today. Next year, he would not visit G.O.’s bar. And he will disappear without Woohyun knowing where he went. He erased all traces of contact, deleted his email and everything else on any social media.

Text left unanswered, calls never taken.

He shoved the suitcase into the trunk; the car would soon be in the hands of some college student that he’d meet up with at the airport. The kid would take his cheap Honda away, to whatever he wants. Sunggyu just wants out.

He’s a coward.

 

*

“Now landing from Incheon Airport, flight A1205. Again, at gate E, flight A1205 passengers will be arriving shortly.”

Sunggyu heard the intercom lady speak in Japanese as he walked through the unfamiliar halls of the airport, searching for his sister. He pulled his only suitcase and zipped up his jacket.

“Sunggyu!”

He turned to face the familiar face of his sister, running toward him with a wave and hugged him as she got closer.

“Hey, Souy—“

“It’s Ayano now,” she huffed after covered his mouth with her palm. “But anyways, how was your flight?”

“Same.” He scrunched his nose. “And you reek of perfume.”

Ayano paid him no attention, continuing to walk out of the airport, “Mom can’t wait to see you again. She’s been preparing everything for you already!”

“That so?” he hummed. “Thanks.”

“Don’t thank me; I’m not the one making everything!”

Sunggyu felt empty, yet the talk with his sister made some warmth for now in him. She was so much older now, married her to a Jap man, he was nice. Name was Fukurei Ayano, in which his sister took great pride in their last name. Sunggyu would never understand.

 

*

After a week of spending and lounging around in his mother’s house on the outskirts of Shibuya, Sunggyu found himself apartment searching around Shinjuku instead of his original plan of heading to Kyoto. He found himself a flat for a good amount, and rather spacy for the price. His savings were quite full, since he did nothing but pay rent and meals for the last seven years.

Buying furnishing, he stayed with the white minimalist look, modern and clean. His bedroom just a plain bed and some little things. Next thing he knew, he was a resident in Shinjuku.

The city was clear; people were busy yet polite enough to not walk in his way. His Korean fashion stood out just a bit, but he was still misinterpreted as Japanese. He knew barely anything on the language. His sister or Rei, that’s what they call Fukurei, helped in through most things. When he’s out buying groceries, he’s by himself. Now they left him to fend for himself, and he was getting the hang of yen and the other things.

He took detours to Ikebukuro, Tokyo, and Sapporo once just for the hell of it. As the month went on, he visited Kyoto and other places. He was adventuring, but never bought anything other than food and small things he really wanted.

Life in Japan was happy. He was happy for maybe the first time in so long. It wasn’t the everlasting happy that love could bring, but a filler of some sorts. Once his ventures end, Sunggyu was sure that he’d become distant again. Though it felt good, to be outside after all this time. To not worry about people other than himself, and look out only for himself.

No Woohyun, no Ailee, no nothing.

He had a nice job in, guess, a café. Again, just down the block from his new flat. He liked it. The place was high class, and the pay was well for a café. Sunggyu brought more customers in as well, with his Korean tongue and cute mess ups. Or so the owner told him. His companion waiter, Shima, was nice though maybe a bit of a ert.

He forgot. He was losing the memories of Woohyun. Very slowly, since everything could be linked back to the male. Sunggyu thought about his talk with Daehyun, and grew out his hair.

Went to a salon, got an auburn dye, and stained his black locks a few shades of brown and a small trim. True to his word, he did look better. Younger, much younger, and actually kind of cute. Sunggyu would have to thank Daehyun if he would ever meet him again.

He was a different person, much clearer and focused with some goals. He put himself out on walks through the city more often, though not at night. Trying out different things, experiencing a summer festival and even wore a yukata.

To say the least, he felt much better in Shinjuku than in Seoul.

 

*

Sunggyu sat, listening to the newest album by Nell from his new headphones, sifting through the new phone he bought with his most recent paycheck. He calmly accepted the fall rays, leaves already shades of red, yellow, brown, and the straggling greens around him in the trees. Some fell; others blew in the wind, even a couple landing in his book.

By now, it’s been just a few months living in Japan. He’s gotten use to the routine, just not the language. Other than the basic greetings, Sunggyu was beyond help. He was now trying his best to study Japanese, so he can talk without the help of his phone translating vague words from Korean.

Biting his lip, he twirled the pencil in his hand, a trick he’s learned from years of boredom. The book told him what ways the verbs are to be used, and the characters, but he was confused on which to what. A leaf fell into his hair, making him blink and take it out.

Click.

He heard it, a camera shutter. The familiar sounds of the lenses closing and opening, the camera itself snapping as the picture was taken. He scanned the grass of the park, to see another young man much like himself situated across from him in another bench. A stretch of grass between them.

The other man stood up, his black overcoat much like the one from Korea’s line about three years ago. He was walking over, Sunggyu beginning to panic if he should leave or not. But inevitably he stayed, the mysterious man taking a seat beside him.

The handsome young man peeked over his shoulder, surveying the lesson book and the little notes on the side.  Sunggyu clutched it closer to him, shrinking away from his offender.  He laughed.

“Sorry,” in perfect Korean, “I saw you over here, and when you took the leaf out of your hair was really cute. I had to take a picture.”

Sunggyu gaped at him for a couple of seconds, before his cheeks blared red. He huffed, stuffing the small book into his pocket, “Well, no harm done. Suppose it’s alright.”

The other smiled, tinkering with the camera in his hand, “You’re a great model for small things like that, I would say.”

“Are you hitting on me?” Sunggyu laughed. “I’d have to reject you.”

“No!” he waved his hands quickly, his surprised expression a bit cute to Sunggyu. “I’m just stating what I think, as a photographer.”

“A photographer.”

“Yes.”

Sunggyu checked his phone, only three in the afternoon. “Well, mysterious cameraman, would you like to have a coffee with me?”

 

*

They sat beside the bistro, behind the window and across from each other. Sunggyu ordering a strawberry frappe, while the other called for an Americano. He was looking through the camera photos, Sunggyu becoming more curious on what he had captured.

“So,” Sunggyu leaned back, crossing his legs, “May I have your name?”

The photographer smiled up, tearing his gaze away from the camera, “Kim Myungsoo. And you?”

“Kim Sunggyu, in your presence,” he waved his hand out, just for a little suave. Myungsoo scoffed at him.

“I take it you’re older than me,” the photographer snapped a picture of the sky from the window.

Sunggyu blinked, fixing up his jacket by ping and placing it on the chair, “I’m twenty-six.”

Myungsoo smiled, again. Placing his camera down onto the table, “Yep, I was right.”

“How old are you?”

“Let’s just say,” Myungsoo tapped at his hand from the table, “I’m younger.”

Clicking his tongue, Sunggyu looked outside the window, waiting for his order. The sky seemed so blue, even with the subtle clouds floating around every now and then. Myungsoo hadn’t said anything in return, also directing his attention toward the ever so blue sky and drifting clouds. Even as their order came in, their gaze was not relieved. Blind hands reaching for their drinks, finding them after a while and sipping idly as the clouds went beyond the view.

His curiosity began to itch, Sunggyu glancing down at the camera before looking away when Myungsoo had caught him. The younger chuckled at him, picking up the device to hold it out to Sunggyu.

“Wanna see?”

Sunggyu’s eyes glistened, his interest peaked as Myungsoo stood up to go and sit beside him. Moving the camera to memory mode, clicking past pictures one by one.

Myungsoo scratched his cheek, “I know, kinda lame.”

Sunggyu shook his head, muttering a couple of rejections of that idea, taking the camera into his own hands and looking through the memory. Besides the one picture of himself, Sunggyu loved the rest.

“No, I love the sky.”

They had a common interest at least.

 

*

Myungsoo eased his way into Sunggyu’s routine, coming in like Henry did on a regular basis. Except he’d order the same thing, a normal cup of coffee and a biscuit. The photographer would take the seat beside the window, much like their first little ‘date’ together. Each day he’d have a collection of different pictures to show Sunggyu, who enjoyed the different shots of cats, flowers, and sometimes rivers. The small animals and maybe stones. Grasses, even just roads or buildings.

Sunggyu would often praise the younger, saying that he should try out to open a gallery. But Myungsoo disregarded that, saying he makes enough with his given job already. But no matter how many times he asks, the younger wouldn’t give it away.

He flagged for a break, Shima getting his message while taking over the counter. Sunggyu slid into the spot across from Myungsoo.

“So, what are today’s pictures?” he asked, reaching over to grab the camera while the younger drank his coffee.

“Birds.” Myungsoo smiled, yes, again. “Saw a group of small finches, they were cute.”

“Anything cute catches your eyes,” Sunggyu snorted, liking each photo as he passed them.

The photographer sighed, “Yes, that includes you too, Sunggyu”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“You’re thoughts are loud enough.”

Sunggyu pouted, “Yah, Kim Myungsoo!”

“Yeah yeah, alright Sunggyu. No need to get so pouty with me,” Myungsoo chuckled. “Let’s go somewhere today.”

The barista’s ears perked at the sudden suggestion, but he remained calm. Myungsoo is his friend.

You don’t need thoughts like that.

“No, I think I need to go back to my shift soon,” he checked his watch, a gift from his mother. A white with neon yellow arms and numbers that was also florescent. “Shima will hit me again if I leave early.”

Myungsoo chuckled, putting his camera into his side bag while standing up with Sunggyu, taking his hand into his own, “Do you not want to go someplace with me?”

“I never said that, just I have work.”

“You could ask Shima to cover you.”

Sunggyu sighed, pinching Myungsoo’s arm playfully, “That’s irresponsible, Kim Myungsoo. I’d rather earn my paycheck, not expect it.”

The younger seemed to pout himself this time, pulling at Sunggyu’s sleeve one more time. “How about after your shift?”

“That’s like,” Sunggyu widened his small eyes just a fraction, “About nine in the evening. I suppose you could, but it’s a long wait.”

Myungsoo grinning, white teeth against those rather pink lips. Sunggyu had a nauseating remembrance with them. “Four hours is nothing, Sunggyu.”

“Y-yeah, okay then,” he shuffled out back to his post. “Just wait around, I guess…”

The photographer laughed, walking out of the shop, not before turning back around and giving a iridescent smile. “It’s a date, Kim Sunggyu!”

 

*

They walked the streets of Akihabara, Sunggyu wondering what Myungsoo had in mind. The District had many different people, many tourists and cosplayers hanging around just for the hell of it. The shops covered with something to do with anime or manga. Sunggyu liked the small bookshops at every corner, and the CD stores. He wanted to buy books, but he was helpless without knowing what they said.

“Do you want to go in?”

His shoulders shot up a little as he heard Myungsoo’s voice beside his ear. He straightened, facing the younger with a slight discomfort, knowing he was caught looking into a particular store a little too long. “Yeah, sorta.”

The photographer smiled, taking his hand and leading the way into the small bookshop. “Let’s go then.”

They walked it, greeted by the one man cashier that stood diligently on the counter, reading a book himself. Sunggyu repositioned his glasses that he put on after his shift, needed some leverage to stand next to Myungsoo after all. They were stopped by a small group of girls, who excitedly talked with the younger. Sunggyu was a little jealous that the photographer could converse so well in Japanese. He himself said a small greeting, earning a few giggles.

He maneuvered away, going down an aisle, touching the spines of various books, liking the new smell and wanted to know what many of them contained. He came across a section that had pale book spines, the color scheme rather comforting. Different yellows, beige, and whites covered the outsides, having a small size while the cover looked quite smooth as well. Picking a white colored book, he flipped casually through the pages, not understanding anything but the ‘1’ on the cover.

The characters bungled up in his mind, him trying to crack the Da Vinci code or something. The book felt comforting to hold in his hands, yet his brain hurt just by looking at the wording. Sunggyu sighed, about to close the book to end his mental torture.

“Did you pick that up on purpose, or are you just that lucky?”

Sunggyu jumped again, Myungsoo sneaking up on him and snatching the book before he dropped it. The barista sighed, scratching his head, “No, I just picked it up for the cover. Why?”

The photographer muffled a laugh, putting back the book, “Nah, it’s just about some weird story.”

“Don’t tell me I picked up some sort of .”

“And if you did?”

Sunggyu wanted to slap himself, “I did not.”

Myungsoo laughed freely this time, leaning over to take Sunggyu’s hand again, “Why don’t I find a book that fits your taste, and we read it together?”

“You read?”

“Not much, since I’m busy looking in a lense,” he wiggled the camera bag. “But I’d be obliged to read it for you.”

Sunggyu pulled away, hollow laughs leaving him as he smiled and took his hand back, “No, it’s alright. I’ll pick one up when I get better with this.”

Myungsoo frowned, a real sort of anger showing up on his face. It was as though he were changing, into another person. Sunggyu hadn’t seen him like this at all before, and it was a little scary.

“Kim Sunggyu, do not use those laughs against me anymore. I’m sick of them.”

“Huh?” he stood shocked, Myungsoo’s tone low and dangerous. The young photographer grasped his forearm, leading him out of the shop and towards someplace more private. “W-wait, Myungsoo!”

“It’s L, Kim. Learn it.”

Sunggyu’s forearm stung from the grip L pursued to hold as he was lead into an alleyway, shoved up right against the wall. Though, per say, Sunggyu could smack his down into the pavement if he wanted. But he had morals, his principles told him to respect and uphold the friendship he had with the other and thus, preventing him from inflicting upon anyone he deems as a friend.

 “I’d be a little appreciative if you explained, L-sshi,” he hissed, taking back his arm in a cradle.

L slammed his hands to the sides of his head, pants leaving his lungs in anger, his eyes flashing with hints of pain. Sunggyu did not like it.
“Kim, you laugh like it would cover everything up. But in these last weeks, I noticed. Only I found it off how you would just laugh off everything, how could I not? It’s suspicious as hell, and I want you to stop. You’re fake, Kim Sunggyu. And I hate that with growing passion as the days go on.” The glare intensifying too much, Sunggyu felt inferior. “So either you it up and put your act straight, or I cut you open and do it myself.”

He stayed silent for moments past, just processing the information. No one had seen through his mask, he thought it was perfect. The guise had gotten him through seven years of torture after all. He felt the need to cry again, willing himself not to as his priorities were to make sure Myungsoo made it home safely.

Crying is for the people who have something to cry about, Sunggyu was just weak.

Breathing a sigh, he put a hand onto L’s arm, sliding it further up to rest on his shoulder. “Thank you, Myungsoo. But I’ll need a little more time to let go than just a few weeks.” He smiled the familiar sweet smile from years of practice. “Let’s return home, shall we?”

“See that’s it right there!” he screamed into his face, looking at him with anguish in those dark irises. Stripping him of his previous goals of just wanting to go home. “That smile! Stop it!”

Sunggyu wiped the perfected smile off, shaking the other’s shoulders a little bit, “Alright, L, Myungsoo. Look at me, see? Just normal Kim Sunggyu here.”

“No, you’re not normal Kim Sunggyu. Kim doesn’t even know himself what’s normal,” L dropped tears onto the ground, shocking Sunggyu out of the stupor and asking if he was alright. “I hate it, you look like…”

“Like who?” Sunggyu massaged the photographer’s shoulders comfortingly, just as he would have done for Woohyun. Right now, he felt nothing but emptiness, and Myungsoo was just another problem.

“Like Yeol…before he…”

Staying silent, letting Myungsoo take as long as he needed. Sunggyu did not want to face another bipolar encounter with the friend, and he himself was growing tired from the day’s activities.

“Before he died…”

 

*

The next few days, Sunggyu did not see Myungsoo. Nor did the younger visit the café. It was a rather indifferent couple of days, he felt colder than usual.  He worked alongside Shima, serving and maybe capturing a few hearts with that smile with fervor.

Myungsoo had left his camera with him.

He brought it along with him everywhere, in case he ran into the man. How could he work if he didn’t have his camera? Sunggyu was concerned, yes, but not to the extent he was searching every moment. Looking in the memory of Myungsoo’s camera to maybe find his house or something, he found more pictures of himself on the screen rather than scenery.

He turned it off before he pried anymore though.

Photography was a heavy subject on his mind lately, he didn’t know why. Staring at the camera while sitting in his couch, knees to his chest and the lesson book beside him. His new phone on the coffee table. It felt familiar, the position he’s been taking the past few days, but he didn’t want to think about it too much. Woohyun had been abolished from his thoughts, or so he thought.

He’s better off without me, it’s already been proven.

His thoughts directed toward Myungsoo, the young man was so destroyed at his fake smile. His snapped at Sunggyu, for being like that. For acting, like he had done so many times to everyone else. It had worked for everyone, yet Myungsoo saw him through from the beginning.

He was both happy and scared; someone had finally broken his wall. Yet, what now? What was Myungsoo going to do with him now that he knew? A variety of blackmail instances popped up into his head, along with a couple of torture situations.

Though he breathed a deep breath, and let it out in a steady stream. Leaving him rid of all those thoughts and he focused more on working. Finding a new found interest in photography since the camera was in front of him anyways.

He went out and bought himself a SD card, eight gigabytes for his ultimate waste. He put Myungsoo’s card in a holder, securely in his bag and went out on his day off with the camera at his side. To the park, the same one where he had met Myungsoo. The leaves were rotting on the ground, trees barren and the cold whipping at you with its cold. The sky tainted with a gray and the sun smaller than before. Darker clouds meandered around the skies, searching for a place where they can let loose their rain.

Sunggyu continued his cold walk, shuffling the coat on his lithe form to fix it up and take out the camera. He read the vague instructions online, while trying to find the right form. He turned it on, not really knowing fully well the functions, and put his eye to the lenses. Watching the world from the glass was much different that his eyes.  The small square marked his main point, and the little beep before the shutter focused on where he wanted to be clear. Turning the lenses body for a closer look, and bringing it back for an overall view.

He continued to snap photos, just for the hell of it. They didn’t turn out pretty like Myungsoo’s did, but a couple were nice to look at. He continued to face the lenses to the sky, capturing the ever changing gray skies and clouds. The tops of trees making their way into the shot, electrical wires and posts also peeping in the photos. An airplane marked its path with the line of puffy clouds it left behind, and the sun trying to shed its light.

Sunggyu was smiling, he didn’t know it though. It was effortless, so easy that he didn’t realize. His head felt lighter, body cleaner, and overall just better. Walking along the paved path, just taking pictures of whatever he wanted.

Until he reached the spot where Myungsoo had been before, when he first met him. Yes, the younger black haired male was sitting in the exact same spot, just without his camera. Sunggyu stood across from the man, who was staring at his shoes. Not noticing Sunggyu just a few yards away.

Click.

Myungsoo shot his head up, disbelieving eyes staring right back at him while Sunggyu took off the camera from his eyes. He still didn’t realize, but he walked over to his lost friend without the itching thought of concern, or his own hurt. He walked over because he wanted to, and sat down beside Myungsoo with a small thump.

“Kim… Sunggyu?”

Sunggyu nudged him, holding the camera in his other hand, “You forgot this with me.”

Myungsoo slowly processed his presence, then beginning to make grabby hands at his camera. “Using it without my permission? Quite bold, Sunggyu.”

“You could say,” Sunggyu handed it back, along with the bag and the original memory card, “I need my SD back though.”

Myungsoo clicked the camera on, already sifting through his bad photos, “At least you had the modesty to get your own.”

All the pictures were of either cats or the sky, Myungsoo beginning to smile instead of the lonely line he had earlier. Sunggyu looked off to his own world, not really caring about what Myungsoo was doing with the camera. He had his fun, and it was relaxing. Tomorrow he’d return to his shift and maybe the younger would start to visit again.

Without looking up, Myungsoo’s bland voice reached Sunggyu’s ears as the wind carried it off, “Your real emotions look better than the cover up.”

Sunggyu didn’t falter, like he would have before. He realized his constant smile, touching the sides of his lips with his finger. It was a nice change, he felt better.

He felt like he moved on.

“Yeah, I agree.” He sighed, leaning back and crossing his legs. “You look much better smiling too.”

Myungsoo scoffed, staying on the very last picture he took, of himself on the bench. Staring at the ground. “You did well on the last one, though I can’t say the same about most.”

“Thanks, oh wise one,” the barista chuckled. “Your praise is my happiness.”

“Should be.”

 

*

They came back to the same bistro, ordered the same thing, and sat in the exact same spot. Looking out to the gray skies, both perfectly calm and drinking to satisfaction. Sunggyu had his headphones around his neck, just there without Nell blaring in his ears.

The strawberry tasted much crisper and the cream smooth. The drink didn’t leave painful bulbs in his mouth from the overwhelming sweet. Myungsoo across from his still sipped out of the coffee cup, tasting the liquid that spread in his mouth in warm welcome.

“Sunggyu,” the photographer called, twiddling his thumbs as he set the cup down onto the plate. “I’d like to apologize for the other day. I acted out of place.”

Sunggyu shook his head, legs crossed and held his drink with both hands, “Nah, it’s alright. It was really nothing.”

Myungsoo didn’t seem convinced, but dropped the topic. He returned to his cup, yet didn’t lift it. Just left his hand beside the handle, ready to pick it up. “Sunggyu, could I ask you something?”

“Shoot.”

“Why are you hurt?” The dark eyes bore into his own. Without the usual glint of amusement, “Your heart, from day one, has been distant. Can you explain to me why?”

Sunggyu frowned, the smile disappearing from his face for once today. He sighed, placing his drink onto the table as well. He checked his watch, two in the afternoon. He had time.

“Sure,” he snorted, a wry grin edging the side of him. “It’s kinda boring and lengthy. Are you sure?”

“Hey, I’ve got a pretty plain story myself.”

“Well said.”

 

*

He told the story of how in the first year of high school, he realized he was gay for his childhood friend. It was crushing on his morals, destroying his mind, yet he kept at it. The furtive glances, the many acts of kindness, and overall, his willingness to serve at Woohyun’s beck and call.

He described his life as a waste, what he could have done, what he could have achieved. Maybe he could have been a very successful singer by now, or songwriter. Maybe even a teacher, or a business man. All the possibilities were burned away since he chose to aid Woohyun instead.

How he was twisted into some sort of pet, just there for their comfort whenever they needed something to cuddle with. Someone to give them the words they needed.

Without Sunggyu, Woohyun and Ailee would have never met. Without him, Woohyun would have never graduated college. Without him, Woohyun would have been nothing.

But Sunggyu doesn’t blame Woohyun for his short comings, making it very clear he cared both for him and Ailee. He doesn’t hold any dark hate for either of them, only himself. He blames himself for falling into the lure of love.

He says he might not be able to love again; he never got to do the real thing.

Then he went into the drunken days, where he drank his hurt away. Once time needing his stomach pumped from alcohol poisoning. That was the darkest, lowest part of his life. Drinking day through night, sleeping with random to fill the void, Sunggyu was lost.

It couldn’t change the fact he wanted it up the .

No matter how many boisterous women he slept with, he would return home, search through the darkest draws for that one long and prep himself. Lathering up the lube and pushing the toy deep into him. Trying to imagine the dirty images that plagued his dreams.  

Sad, he knew. Oh so very sad.

It wasn’t until Sungjong slapped him in the face, and Dongwoo destroying his living room is when he realized he should stop. Sungjong’s high pitched screams, Dongwoo’s punches, Hoya’s disapproving looks, he hated all of it. In the end, he moved into a smaller flat and changed his morals again.

Woohyun never found out about any of this.

The wedding was the next topic, his preparations for the cursed day. His contribution, making it possibly one of the most beautiful weddings ever. The cake was designed by him, as Henry had troubles. He handpicked the table sets, the chairs, tablecloths, flowers, everything. Since Ailee’s wedding planner obviously was doing the thing just for money. He didn’t want them to crash and burn at a ty wedding.

He preferred perfection after all.

He searched the catalogues, visiting various stores and florists for the perfect combination of colors and designs. In the end, the place was bright with white, pale pinks and the gold that lined everything brought the couple many smiles. The roses and tulips were the best combination, and the soft greenery surrounding the place fit well.

Sunggyu was the best man.

His role was acted upon the best professional look, Sunggyu utilizing the make up to its fullest potential. Covering all his fatigue and dehydration. Woohyun never caught a thing; he was never suspected other than with Ailee. He was the perfect actor.

A liar.

About his escape to Japan for a new life, to move on. To change himself, since he was so twisted and broken. He said it wasn’t bad, compared to the other people out there. Yet, he still felt as though his weak heart probably couldn’t take another blow like that ever again. He came for redemption.

He became infatuated again.

He bluntly stated that indeed, Myungsoo was handsome. And yes, he was quite interested. Myungsoo replied with the same, though he himself had some problems to sort out.

It was the other’s turn, the photographer’s story.

 

“Really? After all that you want to hear about my story?”

Sunggyu shrugged, sipping his third cup of a hazelnut latte. Checking his watch, “Why don’t we go to your place, or mine? Continue this chat there.”

Myungsoo finished his fifth Americano, “My place is just a few blocks from here.”

“That why you stay at this park?”

“Yeah.”

Sunggyu smiled, “Let’s go.”

 

*

Myungsoo’s apartment is spacy, more like a condo Sunggyu wanted to shout. But it was rather dark, the modern black furniture and white walls. It looked nice, contrasting Sunggyu’s white furniture and light brown wooden planked floors. They both had white wallpaper though.

The dark cherry brown carpet was soft, even through his socks.

“Drink?” Myungsoo’s voice came from what he thought the kitchen be.

“Nah,” he called back. “We just drank enough coffee for the night.”

Even with his reply, Myungsoo came back with a bottle of white wine and two glasses, “You never know.”

Sunggyu laughed, plopping onto the couch, “I’m going to have to pee a lot later.”

“Deal with it,” Myungsoo seated himself beside him, their knees bumping into each other. “Can’t go wrong with wine.”

“Guess so.”

“And besides,” Myungsoo laid back after setting the bottle and glass quite a bit away on the coffee table, “I know I’m going to want to drink after this story.”

 

The settled comfortably into the plush cushions, Myungsoo beginning to speak effortlessly. They were in the roles of therapists, Sunggyu thought. But listened in to his friend’s talk.

He had a friend, a childhood friend, named Sungyeol. Lee Sungyeol was in love with Myungsoo, just like Sunggyu was with Woohyun. But instead, Myungsoo knew everything, and played with his friend’s heart. He would act like his boyfriend one day and the next throw him off a bridge.

Sungyeol tolerated everything.

He found it as a never ending joke, and it was fun messing with Sungyeol. He saw all the fake smiles and took a dark pride in watching his friend cover up his hurt.

Mostly.

Until Sungyeol had an accident, he hadn’t realized what his actions had impacted on the other male. Sungyeol took a different path, using drugs and drinking. , like Sunggyu had done. All and all, he crashed his car and was in the hospital bed.

Myungsoo visited, watching his friend deteriorate in his eyes.

Sungyeol still put up that fake smile though, as much as Myungsoo wanted to tear it off. He screamed, yelled at Sungyeol to show his true feelings but the other wouldn’t listen. Already lost his ears. He continued that sick smile until his last breath, looking into Myungsoo’s eyes and dying then and there on the bed.

Myungsoo fell into regret.

The own spiral to his oblivion, he hated everything. He destroyed every single memoir of Sungyeol, yet he stayed in his mind. The fake smile, those eyes. He couldn’t be rid of it.

After a year of his wallowing, he met Sunggyu, just sitting there across from him, looking cute with his cook and frustrated glares at the small book in his lap. Fall colors fitting him oddly. Though, the same smile was on Sunggyu’s face.

He clicked the picture without noticing.

When Sunggyu shot up, meeting eyes, Myungsoo saw the extent of his pain. They were the same eyes Sungyeol had. At first, he approached because of pity; he wanted to set the man straight.

But seeing Sunggyu still act so strong, not really flaunting his distress to others, appealed to Myungsoo. His cold heart actually pumping something warm for once. He felt attraction, yes, and Sunggyu wasn’t too bad looking himself.

By the end of Myungsoo’s shorter story, they had downed the entire bottle, swaying here and there on the floor and laughing. Laughing away their tears and pain, their hatred toward the other people dissipating.

“You know,” Myungsoo strung, trying to go up his stairs along with Sunggyu, “Sunggyu, you’re really good looking.”

Sunggyu hiccupped, “Back at you, Sherlock.” Stumbling into the bedroom and crashing onto the bed, Myungsoo landing on top of him, “I wouldn’t care less about my appearance.”

“Liar,” Myungsso pressing his obvious arousal onto Sunggyu’s thigh, ing him openly. “Dying your hair is a sure sign you’ve let go.”

Sunggyu felt a moan leave him without his consent, feeling too good for this to end, “Sure, whatever. Just keep going.”

“Sure thing, princess.”

Sunggyu felt lips that weren’t his own, and it felt nice.

 

*

He awoke to a warm head, not a terrible headache; he made worse, but a mild one. Light shined in lines through the closed blinds, Sunggyu groaning to sit himself up and rub the stuff out of his eyes. The bed sheets felt too close, and he opened his eyes to see his torso without a shirt. Clothes strewn on the floor and his legs bare against the mattress and blanket. He clutched it closer to his front.

He looked to his side, to find Myungsoo in a similar state, face planted into that black pillow while his arms were under it. He smiled, not restrained by anything. He knew what the stuff caked on the inside of his thighs were and what had transpired the other night. He sighed with relief, Myungsoo had taken great care with preparing him, yet the dull ache still was inescapable.

He slid back down into the mattress, wanting more sleep. The heat from his head slowly leaving to cool, and coming back only to pulsate at his brain.

A hand crept up on his stomach, going to his side and pulling him closer to the other body. He laughed softly, letting Myungsoo tug him to his side.

“Morning…” the other mumbled against his skin, sticking his face into Sunggyu’s neck and placing a kiss there. “Any pain?”

“Not really,” Sunggyu blew the black strands out of his face, the photographer’s bed hair just in his mouth as the other was doing it on purpose. “Though I want a shower.”

“Let’s take one after a few more minutes,” another grumble, sending tickles at his nerves. “Maybe another round cause, god, you’re good.”

“I guess is should take pride in that complement?” the barista scoffed, closing his eyes for some more rest.

“Yeah, you should,” Myungsoo hugging him closer, Sunggyu foretelling it wasn’t too far off now. “But no one else will touch you. You can boast, but only I will do it.”

“Possessive much?”

“Notably.”

 

*

Their relationship was a steady diet of alone time, togetherness, and . Dates were subtle, to their personalities. Visiting aquariums when it was the least busy, standing around the tanks of water for hours staring at the variety of fish and other creatures. Most of their time spent in the tunnels, light filtering from the water as they kicked back on a bench and watched whatever. They didn’t give loving glances every chance they got; they already knew it to be there. They’re hands were relaxed in the interlock, resting at their side.

They didn’t share kisses outside, Myungsoo liking it behind closed doors and private. Though, Sungyu had no problem with the sneaky chances when they round corners or alone.

Sunggyu continued to work at the high class café, Myungsoo having a position for a nature photograph thing in a magazine. He had his own page or whatever, and many people liked his images. Sunggyu would tag along the trips to Hokkaido, China, Korea, and even Thailand for Myungsoo’s photography.

They developed a kink for in other countries.

Sunggyu learned to read Japanese better with Myungsoo helping him, though he still had troubles with many things. He began to read small novels, asking his boyfriend for help whenever there was a word he did know, which was often.

In return, Sunggyu cooked for Myungsoo. They both lived off instants and take-out, Sunggyu frowning at this. He moved in with the photographer, since it was more than enough space. His white furniture fit well with the black, and there were beds in both bedrooms now. Mostly in the dark one, Sunggyu’s reserved for sleeping.

He learned off easy one-two-three videos off the internet, and began to elaborate on the things he already knew. Scaling everything to the millimeter and exact measurements, Sunggyu cooked with good skill. Tasted well enough to eat, he was still improving. Myungsoo saying it got better or worse as the days went on.

Sunggyu’s desk was clear, only holding up his desktop and a few office things that were scattered here and there on the white surface. The barista using his laptop whenever he wanted to lounge upstairs or upside-down on the couch in plain laziness.

Myungsoo’s black desk was littered with papers and the printer. His desktop surrounded by a variety of things. The lenses shelf right behind him, Sunggyu sometimes thinks he’s going to break them.  Having more than one camera now though, on the shelf as well.

The raven haired photographer liked to cuddle, surprisingly. Making Sunggyu sit on his lap while he worked sometimes, ultimately ending in either or Sunggyu falling asleep on him. Other times he’d randomly ask for a out of nowhere while working, the barista either complying or dismissing the matter.

They were truthful about their first time, just doing it to relieve themselves. But as it grew heated, and Sunggyu’s slip of his tongue, Myungsoo returned the feelings back, them making love instead of . Though, it was often practice between the two, to make up for their lost years.

Sunggyu thought about visiting Seoul one more time, to say sorry to Daehyun for leaving so suddenly; to actually try Henry’s food like he said he would. Another visit to G.O.’s bar on his birthday, this time with a companion. But he was scared to face Woohyun by any chance, clutching Myungsoo closer so he would think about the now than the past.

The photographer warmed up to the idea of love, just trying to figure it out as much as Sunggyu was. They were awkward with some things, like couple games and matching clothes. They never thought the need for them. Their shades and tints were good enough. Sunggyu’s white with Myungsoo’s black. The monochrome colors always in a fashionable fit together, you can’t go wrong with the scheme.

Though they had all the time they needed, Sunggyu wasn’t in a rush. Myungsoo is also new to the game, and them both just happy with everything, no more fake smiles.

 

“Hey, Gyu.”

“Hmm?”

Myungsoo handed him the camera, “Check my photos?”

Sunggyu took the camera, smiling with those pink lips that Myungsoo liked to nip and on, “Sure.”

The other ran upstairs, shouting behind him, “Put it on the table when you’re done!”

He scoffed at the childish Myung, flipping on the camera to check what photos were on there this time.

Sunggyu snorted, the smile never leaving his face.

He placed the camera on the table, making his way up the stairs too. “Yah, Kim Myungsoo!”

“I love you too, Kim Sunggyu!”

 

 

The sounds of slow and strategic moves were going on in the bedroom; surely loud screams were to be heard later as the camera sat on the surface of the glass coffee table, its screen fading from a stunning picture of the sky and clouds to a dark screen;

waiting for the next picture to be taken.