Radio Luck

The Pretty One II

"You have no taste in music." Chaekyung grumbled while shooting looks of disdain in full force. "This person sounds like a chicken being slaughtered, how is this good?"

L.Joe huffed, pretending to take offense as he threw a pillow at her. "This is called heavy metal okay? You're the one without great taste."

Chaekyung swivelled around in her chair and harrumphed. "I have extremely good taste in everything, thank you very much." she claimed. L.Joe rolled his eyes and made a face at her when she turned away from him.

"Yeah right if not I'd be the one you're in love with, not that stupid L." he muttered under his breath.

Chaekyung was trying to finish her math homework in her room while L.Joe was taking up his permanent residence on her bed, flipping through his playboy magazines. He didn't know what he was doing either, since he had given up on chasing Jaekyung inside.

However he just didn't want to tell Chaekyung that because it served as the only reason why he could hang out in her room as and when he liked as if he was her real boyfriend. He didn't want to give that up.

"I'm changing the station!" Chaekyung announced, reaching over to change the to another radio station that wasn't blasting heavy metal screaming all the time. She tuned in to her favorite station and a soothing ballad by K.will was playing.

Chaekyung clapped in delight. "Hmm! I like this song!" she grinned in satisfaction.

L.Joe made a face and blew at his bangs. "What a boring anti-climatic song." he muttered in disapproval. Chaekyung harrumphed and stuck her tongue out at him to show that she didn't care what he thought. L.Joe bit back a smile. That was too cute.

Chaekyung then proceeded to make a big show of humming along to the tune of the song in total enjoyment. L.Joe pretended to be completely engrossed in his magazine but occassionally peeked up from his magazine to peek at her cute actions.

The current song ended and the DJ Younha began talking. L.Joe frowned and put down his magazine. "This is such a y station. Stations that have annoying DJs talking between every song is pure annoying."

"Shh!" Chaekyung threw a pen in his direction and tuned up the volume, her expression bright and eager. L.Joe raised his brows, curious.

"-lucky winner will get to win these Phantom of the Opera tickets! Isn't this exciting!" Younha exclaimed excitedly.

Chaekyung nodded eagerly as she plastered her ear against the radio. "Yes!" she squealed, grabbing for her phone immediately. L.Joe watched her in amusement. "You like that stupid musical thing?"

"Shh!" Chaekyung shushed him once more, her attention completely directed to the tiny radio in front of her.

"-the song starts playing, we will be accepting call-ins. The first call and first person to correctly guess the speeded up chipmunk version of this song will win a pair of Phantom of the Opera tickets!" Younha's voice came sounding through the speakers. "Ready?"

Chaekyung nodded as though Younha could see her, her phone ready in her hand with the radio station's number all dialled up. All she had to do was press call.

L.Joe laughed inwardly at her enthusiasm. It was strangely endearing.

A weird chipmunky song was soon played, so high and squeaky that L.Joe could hardly catch the lyrics or any of the tune. He frowned, not recognizing the song at all.

However, just one verse into the song, Chaekyung was already pressing the phone against her ear and tapping her fingers impatiently on the table top. "You know you're never going to get through right?" L.Joe smirked.

"Shut up!" Chaekyung threw another pen at him, her entire being focused on the radio. The song stopped and Younha's voice rang out again. "We have a caller right here! Hello?"

Chaekyung blinked once, her eyes widening at L.Joe. L.Joe looked at her, confused. "What?"

"Hello? Anyone there?" Younha repeated.

"H-Hello!" Chaekyung squeaked in disbelief. L.Joe gaped when Chaekyung's voice was heard from the speaker of the radio. Chaekyung didn't seem to believe it either and she stared wide-eyed at her little device in shock. "I can't believe it." L.Joe muttered.

"Excuse me?" Younha caught L.Joe's voice.

"Hello!" Chaekyung quickly answered, flustered and fanning herself. Younha laughed from the speakers. "Sounds like a listener in disbelief. Say hello to everyone on air and what's your name?"

"H-Hi!" Chaekyung hiccupped, nervous. "My name is Chaekyung."

L.Joe snorted at her nervousness and Chaekyung sent him a glare. "Hi Chaekyung! So did you know what's the title to that track we just played?" Younha asked.

"Y-Yeah." Chaekyung squeaked. "It's Catch Me by DBSK." "What? How as that chipmunk thing Catch Me?" L.Joe frowned.

"That's correct!" Younha cheery voice sounded from the other end. "Congratulations on winning the pair of tickets Chaekyung sshi! Please stay hang on line and our staff will tell you how to collect your prize!"

Chaekyung was pale with shock and she hung onto her phone, nodding numbly as the staff continued with the details of collection. She finally hung up the phone and turned to look at L.Joe with wide eyes. She was calm. Too calm for someone who just won something off the radio. Until...

"I WON!!!!" Chaekyung jumped up from her chair and hopped around her room with a bright smile. "I can't believe I won! Oh my god!" she squealed.

L.Joe looked at her in amusement. "That happy?"

"Extremely!" Chaekyung clambered onto her bed and beamed at him. "I've been wanting to catch the musical for so long but I couldn't book any tickets because they keep getting sold out so quickly! And now I've won them! Kyaaah!!!" she screamed into her pillow.

L.Joe laughed and flicked her head, messing up her hair. "Credits to you, I never thought you'd win." he couldn't help but smile when the happiness was radiating from her as such. He enjoyed seeing her happy. "So I suppose you're bringing me your faux boyfriend to the musical right?" L.Joe teased.

"No way!" Chaekyung stuck her foot out at him which he caught, tickling her sole and making her squeal. When he finally let her go, Chaekyung huffed and laid down on her bed beside him with a happy smile. "I'll probably be bringing one of the girls, whoever's free, or unnie."

She kissed her phone and squealed again. "I can't wait!!!!"

L.Joe just laughed. Secretly, yes he thought it was adorable.

 

 

 

 

L.Joe drove his motorbike past the National Theatre centre and his gaze lingered. It was saturday night, the supposed night for the Phantom of the Opera show. Chaekyung must be in there with one of her friends trying to suppress her excitement.

The entire week since her win, Chaekyung had been restless and exceptionally happy. If only she could win somehting every week so that her joy could last forever. L.Joe liked seeing her so happy and cheerful all the time.

L.Joe stopped his bike by the roadside and contemplated for a few moments before getting off. He wasn't going to find her or whatever, because that would be what a real boyfriend did, but he was just curious about this musical she was so keen on going.

He jogged towards the theatre, seeing large posters on the Phantom of the Opera hanging outside. He stopped in front one of the posters and eyed the man in the mask doubtfully. "What's so special about him that makes so many girls crazy for him?" he muttered.

"It's the mysterious aspect."

L.Joe spun around in surprise, clutching his heart. He let out a sigh of relief when he saw Jaekyung smiling at him. "Oh it's just you." he let out a breath. He smiled at her and took in her sight in a pretty white dress. Hmm dressed up. If so, Chaekyung must be wearing a pretty dress somewhere around here as well right?

"You're here to catch the musical right?" He grinned. "Where's that stupid princess? Too excited that she fainted in the toilet?"

"You mean Chaekyung?" Jaekyung blinked in surprise. "Didn't she tell you? She-"

"Who fainted in the toilet?"

L.Joe did a double take as another male came to join them. L handed Jaekyung a warm cup of starbucks coffee, giving L.Joe a polite nod. "So who fainted in the toilet?" he teased, smiling down at her Jaekyung.

L.Joe frowned at L's formal attire that matched the other incoming audience for the musical. "What are you doing here L?" he asked, a little rude.

"Me?" L looked stunned by the question. "I'm here to watch the musical of course, with Chaekyung's winning tickets from the radio."

L.Joe couldn't wrap his head around the new information. "Wait, so you two are here to catch the musical?" he clarified, his frown getting deeper. "And there's only two tickets. So where's Chaekyung?"

"Didn't she tell you?" L blinked. "She was supposed to come here with Jae but she was sick at the last minute so I took her place instead."

"But I thought your parents are on a trip this weekend?" L.Joe ignored L and stared at Jaekyung. "You mean she's at home, sick, and alone right now?"

Jaekyung bit her lip, looking guilty and worried. "Yes I'm afraid. I volunteered to stay back but she insisted that I come catch the show for her. I'm actually quite worried about her right now." she fisted her hands.

L.Joe didn't wait another second before jogging off, running to his bike and slamming his helmet on. Jaekyung and L watched him go and L squeezed Jaekyung's hand lightly.

"Guess he'll be taking care of her then?"