Cold

Agent & Dr. C

The autopsy room was cold. The metal instruments looked like they had come out of a freezer and it felt like the room was at the same chilling temperature that the body drawers were: 4 degrees Celsius. Even the doctor examining the dead body looked as frigid as her dead patient. Kyuhyun stared at every move the doctor took, everything was planned, calculated, not a second was left unthought-of. Boring, that was the word that described the scene. He sighed, looked at his watch, and shifted his weight onto his other hip.

“Nobody is asking for you to stay here, Agent Cho,” snapped Sooyoung, not looking up from her dead body.

“No, it’s just I can’t leave my dead guy and it’s getting late,” grumbled the Detective.

“Technically it’s the Institute’s body Agent Cho. We’ll release it to you once we are done with it,” the Doctor flatly replied, still keeping her eyes on her work. Kyuhyun stared at her, trying to find something witty to say, but his phone's ringtone interrupted his though process. He looked at the caller ID and smiled: Victoria.

“Aren’t you going to take it, Detective,” asked Sooyoung after the third ring, visibly annoyed at the ringing phone disturbing the silence in which she liked to work in.

“Cho,” he flatly answered.

“Hey there cowboy,” said Victoria, with a voice full of playfulness.

“Hey there Babe,” replied Kyuhyun, happy to feel some sort of warmth after such a cold day.

“I miss you,” she pouted. “ When are you coming home? It’s getting late,” she insisted, eager to have him back home.

“I am sorry Vic. I’m working on a case. I’ll be home as soon as I can,” he promised, hoping the Doctor wouldn’t take much longer.

“Okay, but don’t be too late…the later you come, the less clothes I’ll have on,” she teased before hanging up. Kyuhyun looked at his phone and felt a sudden urge to end the ordeal. He thought that if he had to spend another minute with the cold doctor, he might end up on the examination table himself.

“Dr. Choi, why don’t we call it a day?” he asked, turning himself around, and clapping his hands. “Don’t you have someone waiting for you at home? A boyfriend, maybe?”

“Nope,” replied Sooyoung, lifting her eyes up for her patient and writing something in her notebook.

“Come on! What about your assistant? Dr. Park? That’s your name, right?”

 “Yes, it is, “ answered the brunette next to Sooyoung.

“Don’t you have a boyfriend waiting for you?”

“I do,” she said, lowering her head. “Actually Dr. Choi… I was hoping to leave early today. It’s my first year anniversary with my boyfriend and…”

“Dr. Park,” interrupted the cold Doctor. “How many times have I told you not to put your private life as a priority when you are at work?”

“I am sorry, Dr. Choi,” she mumbled, looking back the set of remains.

“Come on! Let her go Doc! It’s been a long day for all of us,” pleaded Kyuhyun. Sooyoung sighed and looked straight into the brown eyes of Kyuhyun that she knew so well, yet hers were strangers to him.

“All right, but I want you back here first thing in the morning Dr. Park,” answered Sooyoung, giving into the request. The young apprentice squealed in excitement, bowed profusely, and exited the lab in a run, leaving the Detective and Doctor alone.

“I am also going to go,” said Kyuhyun, slowing making his way out of the lab, scared the Doctor would change her mind. “Goodnight Doc.” The answer never came and Kyuhyun left feeling more and more uncomfortable with his new co-worker. When Sooyoung was sure that the Detective was far enough that he couldn’t hear her anymore, she exhaled and whispered.

“Goodnight Kyuhyun.”

 

On his way to his car, glad to be back with the living, Kyuhyun bumped into the young assistant who was definitely in a hurry.    

“Whoah there, careful Dr. Park,” he chuckled, grabbing her before she fell to the ground.

“Oh I am sorry, Detective Cho,” she apologized with a bow. “I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s okay,” he chuckled. “Please call me Kyuhyun,” he offered, giving her a warm welcoming smile.

“Nice to meet you Kyuhyun. Call me Luna,” she giggled, extending her hand, which he shook.

“Are you heading to the parking lot?” he asked, trying to make up some casual small talk.

“No, no, I am actually going towards the subway station,” explained Luna, pointing at the direction of the station. Kyuhyun frowned when he saw the distance she would have to walk alone. Being a detective and having been a cop for over three years, he had learned that the dark streets of Seoul weren’t always the safest at night, especially for a young woman carrying a Michael Kors bag.

“Let me take you home,” offered Kyuhyun.

“Oh no! I can’t ask you that!”

“Come one! Where do you live?”

“Sinchon,” mumble Luna, not wanting her new friend to go out of his way for her.

“Well what do you know, it’s on my way home. Come on, I’ll bring you,” he exclaimed bringing her to his car. They drove in an awkward silence, both lost in their own thoughts. Kyuhyun longed for a good warm meal and Victoria’s embrace, whilst Luna was mentally recapping the events of the day.

“What do you think cause of death was?” asked Kyuhyun, eyes still on the road.

“I don’t think I am allowed to discuss the case with you,” stuttered Luna, looking away.

“FYI, I am the lead investigator on the case Dr. Park,” snickered Kyuhyun. “I think I am allowed to know.”

“Yes, but Dr. Choi doesn’t like to discuss cases with other people before we have a positive and definitive answer.”

“She seems like quiet a character that Dr. Choi,” grumbled Kyuhyun, cursing his luck for having her as a new working partner.

“Oh, she is actually very fun, when she is not working,” interrupted Luna, not wanting to talk against her mentor.

“Does she ever stop working?” laughed Kyuhyun. 

“No, not really,” giggled Luna, while thinking of her colourful, or rather black and white supervisor. The rest of the drive remained silent, only for Luna giving Kyuhyun instructions on how to get to her apartment. Once they arrived, they wished each other goodnight and promised to see each other the next day at the laboratory.

 

When Kyuhyun had finally made it home, he found himself starving to death. He opened the front door of his apartment only to be attacked by his girlfriend.

“How was your day?” she asked, jumping on him and wrapping herself around his strong body, kissing every centimeter of exposed skin.

“Long as hell, no pun intended,” he groaned, trying to take off his blazer, which wasn’t an easy task having Victoria on him. When he realized he wasn’t going to get an answer from her, he wrapped his arms around her waist and made his way to the kitchen carrying her.

“I thought we were going to the bedroom,” she pouted.

“I thought you’d be by now,” Kyuhyun replied, sitting her on the kitchen counter so that he could scavenge the fridge for food. After a long search, he settled on some instant noodles and old fermented kimchi.

“Yeah, well I only took off my socks,” she laughed, joining him at the table. “So how was your day?”

“Well, I got my new forensic pathologist partner today,” he answered, between two bites.

“Oh! Who is it? Do I know him?”

“Actually, it’s a her. Doctor Choi Sooyoung, do you know her?”

“Choi Sooyoung,” repeated Victoria, thinking of all the doctors she had met at the hospital. “Tall girl, skinny, big eyes, genius, chirpy?”

“Well, she is everything you just said, but chirpy,” grumbled Kyuhyun, trying not to remember the cold doctor he had spent his entire day with.

“Really? Dr. Choi Sooyoung working at the morgue, weird,” said Victoria, more to herself than to Kyuhyun.

“Why?”

“Because she used to work at the ER before. She was the doctor that first took care of you, when you arrived at the ER three years ago.”

“She was?” exclaimed Kyuhyun, wondering how that frigid doctor could ever succeed at bedside manners. 

“Yeah. She is the one who saved your life. She wouldn’t let you go after you coded. She never admitted that she was the one saving the lives of her patients.  She always said that the only reason she saved lives was because the paramedics team had saved the life of the patient before arriving to the hospital,” Victoria pause for a moment before going on with her story. “Everybody thought she’d stay at the ER, but I guess she chose the morgue.” Kyuhyun thought in silence and remembered his days at the hospital, As much as he had tried to recal them for the last three years the reality was that he couldn’t. The coma he had been in had erased most of the memories of his lengthy stay there. He could only remember the last month.

“Well I always said that the nurses were better than the doctors, at that hospital,” he said in a nonchalant tone.

Victoria laughed at his statement. “ You flirt! And of all the nurses you had to go for me, your nurse!”

“Come here,” he said, getting up and pulling her towards the bedroom. “We need to take more than those socks off,” he said kissing her passionately, abandoning the instant noodles and the kimchi on the kitchen table.

 

Sooyoung sat in her warm bubble bath, thinking about the events that had happened that day. She grabbed her glass of wine and took a sip. Preliminary examination had found nothing wrong with the dead body. Everything lead to believe that it was a natural death, yet something bothered her. It couldn’t be. How does a healthy 24-year-old male die of natural causes? Second sip.  Her gut feeling told her it was foul play. Kyuhyun thought so too. Third sip. Kyuhyun. Fourth Sip. She decided that she would order a blood test and tox screen first thing in the morning and would have to discuss her findings with Kyuhyun. Fifth sip. Kyuhyun. Damn it Sooyoung, focus, she scolded at herself. Sixth sip. She needed to focus on the cases. Seventh sip. No, she had to admit to herself she couldn’t do anything else for that dead man in her lab. She had done everything she could without cutting. Tomorrow she would cut him open, she promised herself. Cut. Blood. Eight sip. Flashback. Twenty-four year old male with gunshot wounds to his right thigh and upper left chest. Bleeding profusely. BP is dropping. What do you want us to do with him Dr. Choi? Ninth sip. Stop it Sooyoung ordered a voice inside of her. Tenth sip.

“Damn it,” shouted Sooyoung, splashing her fist in the water. She had finished her glass of wine and left the wine bottle in the kitchen. “When will you learn,” she grumbled. Maybe it wasn’t a bad thing, she thought, it was getting late and she could already imagine the long day she would be having in only a few more hours. She climbed out of her bath, dried herself, and made sure all the doors were locked. It was a habit she had taken after Kyuhyun’s horror stories about night burglaries. After she was sure all was locked, she slid into her bed. Just as she was closing her eyes, she cursed at the universe for putting Kyuhyun back on her path, just when she was getting over him.

 

Around that same time, Kyuhyun closed his eyes and somehow after three long years of trying to remember his stay at the hospital some memories were coming back. At first they were sounds, sounds of sirens from an ambulance rushing through the crowded streets, then hospital sounds Twenty-four year old male with gunshot wounds to his right thigh and upper left chest. Bleeding profusely. BP is dropping. What do you want us to do with him Dr. Choi? and then an image, big brown eyes looking down at him. Those same brown eyes that had stared him down hours before, in the coldness of a morgue. No, he was imagining it, it was all a dream he thought before drifting to sleep, snuggled against Victoria.

 

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

A/N. Just a quick note, as promised some of the pairings are for you to chose. So Luna has a boyfriend, who will it be? Up to you guys to chose!