Part II

The Secret Within Kim Jongin

The pathways that were once covered in decayed leaves now had a light layer of snow covering them; creating a blanket that looked inviting but was cold to the touch. Jongin pulled his sweatshirt closer to his body as the chill of the wind managed to seep through the thin material. His over-the-shoulder bag barely stayed on as he dashed back to Sehun’s and his dorm. The temperature was dropping rapidly and Jongin was sure he lost feeling in his toes.

The numb cold that covered Jongin quickly melted away as he entered the dorm lobby. He was in a rush to his dorm; he had to reassure Sehun that their project for their music theory class was finished and not half-assed (even if it was due in less than ten hours).

When Jongin thought of Sehun now, it seemed odd; in only a few months, Sehun had grown warm towards Jongin. His cold aurora melted away and it had turned out he never hated Jongin, much to Jongin's relief. One day during a composing lab, Luhan had spilled to Jongin that Sehun was actually kind. Jongin scoffed it off; he thought Luhan was just being the "peer-mediator" between Jongin and Sehun again. But Jongin was far from right. It was after a long night class when Jongin entered the dorm that for once, Sehun said "hi". It may have seemed like nothing but a nice gesture, but according to Luhan, it was a big step for Sehun. He was never rude or indifferent although it looked that way, but he just had a hard time warming up to others. And so Jongin accepted that fact. He too wasn't thrilled about the idea of meeting others the first day of College, but he was glad he had met Sehun.

On his way up the stairs, the smell of freshly-brewed coffee followed the loud grinding of the coffee machine in the lounge. Jongin turned around and to his right, the woman at the front desk had the cup of warm coffee placed on the counter edge, but it was pointless as the woman was knocked out, snoring with her head leaning slightly towards her chest. Jongin debated if he shouldn't waste a good cup of coffee, but the woman let out an obnoxious snore and Jongin almost jumped from surprise, but caught himself as he rushed up the stairs.

In contrast to the inviting and warm dorm room, Jongin could feel the chill solely from placing his palm to the cold handle of their dorm. It was a feeling that Jongin didn't like, but Jongin thought nothing of it and cautiously opened the door to not wake Sehun. But Jongin’s plan went to when the door let out an awful creak that may or may not have awoken Sehun.  Jongin awkwardly shut the door as the shock from the sudden cold hit him as he turned around.

A half-asleep Sehun let out a cough before calling out Jongin. "Is that you?"

"Yeah, I was finishing up the project in the Library." Jongin added the last bit, just to remind Sehun that he wasn't a hopeless project partner that Sehun accused him of being.

Sehun didn't reply but in replace of his absent voice, a small wave of pain hit Jongin in the back of his head. Just when his headache that he suffered from in the Autumn days seemed nothing but a bad memory, it turned its unwelcome head around once more. Jongin wanted ignore it, and sleep would just make it worse. He was at a loss right now as Sehun fell back asleep. And so Jongin ended up laying on his back staring with eyes wide open at the endless darkness. Every few minutes, a chilly breeze would roll through the half-opened window. Jongin intended to close it, but maybe he needed the wind to help him fall asleep. Yeah, somehow that was going to work. Or so Jongin hoped. He was desperate for sleep to take him away.

His head had other plans for him as it began to pound in constant intervals. It was like a pattern and Jongin couldn’t figure out why. All he wanted now was a cup of coffee for some reason. Even he couldn't explain as to why as he frantically searched his desk for an instant-coffee bottle. The sheets from Sehun's bed rustled and the male that occupied the bed let out a groan.

"Jongin, go to bed. It's- holy it's three am. We might have to present tomorrow and I know I'm being a pain but seriously; go the to bed." And with that he threw himself back on the tangled sheets, frustrated that Jongin was pacing around the room. Sehun was unaware to Jongin's suffering, though. Jongin’s headache was the worst it had ever been. And hour had passed but it only had been insanely long minutes to Jongin. He pulled his sheets above his head, but the cold found its way through the small air holes.

“Sehun, why is the window open,” Jongin whispered as he peered behind the sheets and Sehun rolled over on his side to see that Jongin was still awake.

“I don’t know. It was open when I got back from class. Just go to bed.” With that, Sehun flipped over so his back faced Jongin and minutes later he began to snore.

-

Tell him what’s going to happen, Jongin.

It was the wind again, no. It was a voice. It had been too faint the first time Jongin heard it back in October, but now it was evident that it had been a voice. And a voice always belonged to a body. Upon reaching this conclusion, Jongin let fear take over. He wanted to scream but Sehun was asleep. With no choice, he screamed, only to have it muffled. Jongin’s gasps were enough for Sehun to notice that something was horribly wrong. It took him a while but as he turned his side-lamp on, he eyes widened. Jongin saw through his watery eyes that Sehun didn't know what to with himself. Instead, Sehun stood there frozen in shock. All color had been drained from his face and he was no longer in a bad mood. His face was unreadable.

Jongin struggled to say the words that had been poisoned by the voice inside his mind. Jongin needed to tell Sehun that the boy was going to die. It was a deep feeling that Jongin has possessed for a while, but now as he wanted to warn Sehun, his throat suddenly became locked and there was no key to unlock it. There was nothing he could cough out except for strangled noises. He couldn't speak, and as he tried too, Sehun snapped out of his frozen daze. He believed that Jongin was choking and attempted to aid his friend, but Jongin knew that choking wasn’t his problem. Jongin wanted to tell Sehun that no, he wasn't dying, but was he? Jongin felt like he was going insane. He needed to tell Sehun to stop the immense pain in his own head that  spread throughout his whole body. Jongin needed it to end. As he roughly grasped Sehun's wrist to attempt and pry it away from his torso, Sehun didn't budge. Jongin tried again and again until finally the younger was off him. Jongin coughed as he felt his throat loosen; no longer suffocating him. The oxygen freely flowed down his throat as he took a deep breath. He noticed that Sehun wasn't saying anything, and so Jongin turned around to see that Sehun was no longer there. Jongin frantically searched the hallway, but stopped when his foot stepped, more like crunched, on something that definitely wasn't a popcorn kernel. When he looked down to see what on earth he stepped on, his heart plummeted. The gush of wind around him stopped as he stood there in pure disbelief while a pale-looking Sehun laid by his feet. Around the younger's head was a dark pool of what seemed to be-

"No," Jongin whispered, his voice hoarse as if he had been screaming. A tear found its way down his disgusted face as he couldn't look up from the sight of his dead friend. Directly in the center of Sehun's forehead had been a small but noticeable dot that simply horrified Jongin as he remained frozen. From the open window, a sudden gush of cool wind swirled into the silent room which made the small hairs on Jongin’s arm perk up.