.fourteen.

The Sin Is Yours

Though he did it with a heavy worry in his stomach, Yongguk took Junhong home the following afternoon. He knew that Junhong does want to go – the middle schooler was incredibly sullen when it came to his home life – but he also knew that Junhong’s parents must be worried sick about him.

It was Mrs. Choi who answered the door when he knocked, wearing her usual faded apron. She was the perfect image of a homemaker; she even had a little flour on her cheek. “Oh,” she said when she saw Yongguk and Junhong. “There you are, Junhonggie! I was so worried when you didn’t come home last night! Thanks so much for bringing him home!” She reached out with one arm and drew Junhong flush against her body.

Yongguk opened and closed his mouth a few times, but no words came out. He’d had an elaborate – and completely untrue – explanation for why Junhong was so beat up, but Mrs. Choi didn’t even comment on the bruises and gashes – even though she had to have seen them.

“Uh, you’re welcome,” he finally muttered. “Junhong-ah, call or text me if you need anything.”

“Sure, hyung,” Junhong agreed dully, not meeting the elder’s eyes. “See you around.” And the door shut in Yongguk’s face.

He was troubled as he returned to his own apartment a few doors down. He sighed as he sank down in a chair at the kitchen table, ignoring Yongnam who was doing homework beside him.

“So what’s with you and that kid next door?” Yongnam asked, breaking into Yongguk’s troubled thoughts.

Yongguk sneered at his twin. “Nothing. I don’t know why you think something’s up. He’s just my middle schooler.”

“Then why did he spend the night last night?” Yongnam asked smugly.

Their mother, who had been making bibimbap at the counter, turned around in surprise. “You had a friend spend the night last night, Yongguk? Shouldn’t you ask permission to invite friends over? I thought we’d agreed on that rule after Himchan spent a week here uninvited.”

“He didn’t just spend the night,” Yongnam said, lips pulling back in a disgusting leer. “They shared a bed. They were cuddling.”

“What the ?” Yongguk spluttered. “What are you even talking about?”

“I came into your room this morning to get that gray sweater you took from me last week and I saw you,” Yongnam answered mildly, like he was commenting on something as bland as the weather rather than his twin’s questionable uality. “The two of you looked awfully cosy.”

Mrs. Bang frowned at him. “Is there something going on with you and that boy, Yongguk?” she asked, concerned.

Yongguk looked down at his knuckles kneading the wooden tabletop. “There’s nothing going on,” he muttered. “The kid’s just going through a really hard time right now. I’m just trying to help him.”

“With your ?” Yongnam snickered into his fist, which earned him a hard punch to the head from Yongguk despite his newfound desire for less violence.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Yongnam,” Mrs. Bang said, frowning. “Your brother isn’t gay. But, Yongguk sweetie, maybe you should give it a rest for a little bit? You do spend an awful lot of time with that boy. You don’t want the neighbors to talk or anything. Besides, I’m sure he’s fine.”

“He’s not fine, mom,” Yongguk snaps. “He’s getting bullied and beat up at school every single day.”

“Why do you care so much?” Yongnam sneered.

“Because he’s a good kid, that’s why,” Yongguk growled. “I don’t know why you’re getting your in a twist just because I’m hanging out with a middle schooler. Don’t you have an ACT to study for?”

“Boys, quit bickering,” Mrs. Bang said sternly. “Yongnam, do your homework already. And Yongguk, you really should spend a little less time with that boy. It’ll be good for both of you.”

Yongguk stomped into his bedroom and slammed the door.

“Maybe it’s for the best,” Junhong said glumly when Yongguk told him about the conversation with his brother and mother over the weekend. It was a few days later and they were both at the sports festival at the high school, to which the third year middle schoolers had been invited as spectators.

Yongguk nearly choked on the sip of water he’d just taken. He pushed back his sweat-soaked bangs and gaped at the younger male. “What the are you talking about?”

“I don’t know,” Junhong shrugged, fiddling with a thread on his long-sleeved t-shirt. It was late May by now and the weather was quickly becoming unbearable, but still Junhong wouldn’t reveal any skin. “I just seem to cause you so much trouble. I feel like you’re always defending yourself from your friends and family. It would just be easier for you if I weren’t in your life.”

No,” Yongguk said vehemently, setting aside his water bottle. “I mean, having you in my life is…” He searched for a word without a bad connotation, “Difficult, but it’s good. Definitely good.” As if to reiterate his point, his fingers sought Junhong’s and laced them together. “I’m serious, Junhong. Don’t ever think that I’ll be better off without you. I won’t.”

Junhong blushed, leaning into Yongguk’s shoulder. They were hiding out behind one of the sports sheds and were out of everyone’s line of sight, so it was okay for the time being. “Okay,” he mumbled shyly.

Yongguk grinned and tilted Junhong’s chin up so he could connect their lips gently.

It didn’t matter that Junhong was three years younger than him. It didn’t matter that Junhong was a weird, mysterious little er. It didn’t matter that he had to hide something important from his family and friends. All that mattered to Yongguk was the little brat sitting beside him, making faces up at him until he kissed the younger again.

And, despite his worry and the constant anxiety gnawing at his insides and the secrecy and the lies, Yongguk was ing happy. 


Ugh, so short! I'm so sorry!

To make up for it, have these glorious pictures:

This is Yongguk with his real brother and sister. Yongguk is the one in the hat, in case you can't tell. Yongnam (Yongguk's twin) is the one in the staten island t-shirt. And the girl is their older sister, Natasha (I just made up the name Yongjoo for my story). She's a tattoo artist and she's hella cool, in case you were wondering ^^