Forever Indebted

Something Flutters
Please log in to read the full chapter

Present Day

Five minutes into the party at the famed Ritz-Carlton Hotel and Sehun's already searching for Luhan in the sea of people all dressed in expensive tuxedos and custom design gowns.

 

Sehun has no problem with these type of public functions, but whenever he is joined by Luhan, he feels this need to make the night somewhat enjoyable for Luhan.

 

He knows that Luhan doesn't hate these parties. It's just that for someone like Luhan, who's outgoing and constantly bursting with energy, these parties can be a drag. Sehun's always worried that Luhan could be having a horrible time while he's out socializing with those around him. And that is the main reason why Sehun makes it a habit to seek out Luhan every five or ten minutes. He would pull Luhan aside and tell him random things to make him smile or laugh.

 

Sometimes, he gets creative and takes Luhan to a secluded corner and steals kisses here and there. Although, Luhan would reprimand him afterwards for being so reckless, Sehun doesn't miss the tiny satisfied smile that graces Luhan's flawless features. That and his rosy cheeks (depending on how daring Sehun felt that night) makes Sehun thinks that it was all worth it.

 

With a glass of champagne in his hand, Sehun makes his way towards the buffet table in hopes of finding Luhan there.

 

He's only halfway there when Mr. Lee, someone who's always present at these events and well known within their professional circle, stops him for a chat – one that Sehun wishes he could avoid because the man can talk for an eternity.

 

After discussing his recent successful cases, Mr. Lee opts to question Sehun about his own firm, and Sehun graciously provides answers that were tailored to impress the old man.

 

“You have a bright future ahead of you, Mr. Oh,” Mr. Lee comments as he whirls his champagne glass before taking a delicate sip.

 

“You think too highly of me. I still have much to learn,” Sehun replies with a shy smile, familiar with how these sort of conversations go. He's had plenty of practice.

 

Mr. Lee chuckles. “Modesty is a great character to possess. I wish I could say the same about your partner.” Mr. Lee glances towards Chanyeol, who's talking to the chairman of LAS rather enthusiastically. Sehun catches the look of distaste in Mr. Lee's expression, and he knows it may have something to do with the red wine colored velvet suit Chanyeol had on. Considering how everyone was dressed in black and white, Chanyeol's choice of attire sticks out like an unattractive sore thumb.

 

“Mr. Park has many other wonderful qualities,” Sehun assures, to which Mr. Lee replies with a mere “Hm.”

 

“You know, Mr. Oh, my offer for you to join my firm is still open. If you want a change in....scenery, do give me a call.”

 

Sehun smiles, though inside he wants nothing more than to knock the glass out of Mr. Lee's chubby fingers. “Though I am flattered, my answer is still the same. I'm happy with where I am.”

 

Mr. Lee looks at him, scrutinizing him for rejecting his offer for the fourth time this year. Eventually, he sighs and ends the conversation with a bitter, “Very well. I shall see you around. Enjoy your night.”

 

“I hope you enjoy yours,” Sehun says, bowing as Mr. Lee turns to leave.

 

He lets out a puff of air. Talking to people like Mr. Lee has always made Sehun feel stuffy inside, but he does it (and does it well) because between him and Chanyeol, he has a better chance of not screwing up their connections.

 

Before Sehun could remember what he was about to do before Mr. Lee came into the picture, he hears a familiar, heartwarming laugh from behind him. Sehun smiles before he even turns around because he knows the owner of that infectious laugh.

 

Across the room, next to the step that led to the balcony, stood Luhan, dressed in a sleek black Armani suit with a silk, white bow tie that made his all black ensemble that much more pleasing to the eyes.

 

Sehun is suddenly reminded of how stressed Luhan was earlier this week over what he was going to wear to this event, and though Sehun told him that he would look great in anything, Luhan still went out of his way to appear worthy, as he puts it, of being Sehun's other half.

 

And he knows that Luhan means well when he's trying to look presentable for Sehun's sake, but honestly, Sehun couldn't care less about what others think – especially in regards to his marriage to Luhan.

 

Sehun tells him that he doesn't care if others in his profession see Luhan as someone beneath him. It's his personal choice, and he's happy. That's all that matters.

 

His career, his reputation, his accomplishments, all of that is insignificant, easily replaced, when compared to his relationship with Luhan. It's cliché, but Sehun has no problem with admitting that Luhan is the single most important thing in his life.

 

Luhan can never and will never be replaced.

 

And Sehun's absolutely fine with that.

 

Luhan's laughter brings him back to the present, and Sehun prays that as he makes his way over, no one would stop to talk to him.

 

He's only a few feet away from Luhan when Ms. Jung, the host of the event, stops him to ask him about his feelings in regards to her planning. He tells her that she's thrown a fabulous party, hoping that it's enough for her to let him go, but she has other plans. For the next couple of minutes, Sehun's stuck listening to Ms. Jung go on and on about her knack for throwing the best parties.

 

Every now and then, Sehun would glance towards Luhan, who was still chatting away with Baekhyun about something that, without a doubt, must be far more amusing than listening to Ms. Jung talk.

 

When Ms. Jung bids him goodbye, Sehun moves quickly, weaving his way through the crowd, stopping for no one.

 

“Hey,” he says when he finally makes it to where Luhan is. “How's the party?”

 

Luhan, upon seeing Sehun, beams and tells him, “It's going great. Baekhyun and I just finished talking to Mrs. Choi, who's planning to throw a big extravaganza for her husband's birthday, and she wants us to cater the event.”

 

“That's great,” Sehun says, naturally reaching out for Luhan's free hand and lacing their fingers.

 

Baekhyun sees this and rolls his eyes. “He's not going to get lost, Sehun.”

 

“Oh, I know that,” Sehun says before sipping his champagne leisurely.

 

“Then why must you hold his hand every chance you get?”

 

“Because it feels nice,” Sehun answers with a grin. Luhan blushes, and Sehun thinks he looks breathtaking.

 

Baekhyun groans. “It's like your wedding reception all over again.”

 

Sehun's grin grows wider at the mention.

 

“Moving on,” Baekhyun announces after clearing his throat. “I want to know who hired the company to cater this event because the food is average at best.”

 

Sehun chuckles at the disgusted face Baekhyun has on. “Are you sure this isn't just your bias side talking?”

 

“When am I not biased?”

 

“Good point.”

 

“I'm just saying that Luhan and I can do a much better job at serving all these rich, obnoxious people who have nothing better to do than throw an award party for their personal lawyers.”

 

“Hey, Chanyeol and I are being awarded by the Lawyers' Association of Seoul, and I think that's a darn good reason to throw a party.”

 

“You're only saying that because you like it when Luhan dresses up and takes everybody's breath away when he walks into the room.”

 

“Baek...” Luhan mumbles shyly.

 

“He's not lying,” Sehun says, squeezing Luhan's hand. “Did I tell you how wonderful you look?”

 

“You did,” Luhan answers with a charming smile. “Twice.”

 

“Well, third time's the charm.” Sehun leans in, making it seem as though he's whispering something into Luhan's ear, but he's actually kissing the side of Luhan's face.

 

Luhan tries his best not to look too flustered at Sehun's boldness, while Baekhyun gags and starts downing his champagne.

 

Luckily for Baekhyun, Sehun's display of a

Please log in to read the full chapter