Turn and Walk Away

Something Flutters
Please log in to read the full chapter

8th Grade – Spring Semester

“Do I look sick? Should I go see the nurse?”

 

Kyungsoo stopped what he was doing to frown at his friend. “Stop trying to get out of gym class, Luhan. It's not that bad.”

 

Luhan, however, begged to differ. “Do you even know what we're doing today, Kyungsoo?”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. “Does it matter?”

 

“Of course it matters!” Luhan exclaimed indignantly as he quickly shoved the hideous forest green t-shirt over his head. “We're playing dodgeball! Dodgeball, Kyungsoo.”

 

Yixing, who was trying to change into his gym shorts, chuckled. “Dodgeball is actually fun, Luhan.”

 

“No, it's not!”

 

“You're only saying that because you never won,” Kyungsoo suggested, sitting down on the bench to lace his sneakers.

 

“Forget winning, I've never even gotten to hit anybody with the ball,” Luhan said dejectedly. “I'm always dodging.”

 

Kyungsoo and Yixing laughed, and Luhan made a pouty face at them, which only spurred them to laugh louder.

 

“Come on, it's not funny.”

 

Kyungsoo immediately stopped laughing and took a deep breath. “Okay, you're right. It's not, but hey maybe you'll get the ball today and possibly even win.”

 

Luhan plopped down on the bench next to Kyungsoo. “You know that's never going to happen – not if Sehun could help it. Let's face it, in order to win, I need to be on his team, and that has never happened.”

 

“It really is too bad that you're never on his team because it feels awesome winning,” Yixing commented, patting Luhan on the back. “But you might get lucky today. He could pick you.”

 

Luhan scoffed. “He hates me, so why would he want me to be on his team? It's more entertaining for him to throw the ball at me.”

 

“Well, to be fair, everybody likes throwing the ball at you. You tend to scream like a girl.”

 

“I do not!”

 

“Really?”

 

“Just because my voice hasn't change like everyone else's doesn't mean I sound like a girl. My body just likes to take its time. Besides, puberty's dumb.”

 

Yixing fell off the bench in laughter at Luhan's excuse as to why he still sounds like he did in elementary. Luhan doesn't appreciate the gesture, so he sent Yixing a swift kick to the knee.

 

“Stop laughing and start acting like a real friend, Yixing!”

 

“Alright. Okay, I'm sorry.” Yixing stood up and held out his hand. “Promise I won't attack you, so how about a handshake?”

 

Instead of taking his hand, Luhan kicked Yixing in the shin, earning a yelp from the other. “That's your idea of being a real friend? Seriously?”

 

Yixing rubbed his injured shin and gave Luhan a pout that almost made him feel bad. “Forget it then,” Yixing mumbled.

 

Kyungsoo sighed. “Luhan, he was just trying to help.”

 

“I know....but –”

 

“Listen, dodgeball is not going to end in a disaster like you think it is.”

 

Luhan opened his mouth to retaliate, but Kyungsoo quickly cuts him off. “I know you. You're probably thinking you'll get knocked out and end up in a coma, but that's not going to happen. Trust me.”

 

“But we all know, I'm going to end up hurt – even if it's just a bruise.”

 

“If you're worried about getting hurt in a game that basically thrives on hurting people, maybe you should drop out of gym class.”

 

“You know I can't do that.”

 

“Then you should try talking to Sehun. Convince him to pick you for once.”

 

Luhan's eyes widened. “C-Convince him?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded. “Who knows? He could surprise you.”

 

Luhan responded with a dry laugh. “Doubt it.”

 

After tying his shoelaces, Luhan stood up and slammed his gym locker closed. “Honestly, talking to him would be like talking to a tree. Nothing is going to change. Besides, I rather lose than be on the same team as the almighty Oh Sehun.”

 

“Well, I'll make sure you do,” a voice from behind him said. Luhan gulped. That voice was too familiar for his liking.

 

“Aren't you going to turn around, Lulu?”

 

Luhan mentally cursed. Eventually, he turned around, biting his lips nervously.

 

Sehun was standing in front of him, arms crossed and face expressionless.

 

Luhan hated how Sehun grew several inches over the past year, so now he had to look up whenever he was face to face with him. It made being in Sehun's presence that more daunting.

 

“That's better,” Sehun said. “Now I hope you're ready to lose today, Lulu. Because I'm feeling generous, I will grant you your wish.”

 

“I didn't wish for it,” Luhan muttered, shuffling his shoes.

 

Sehun scoffed. “Whatever. See you on the court.”

 

When Sehun turned and walked away, Kyungsoo and Yixing immediately came to Luhan's aid just when he felt his knees wobble.

 

He firmly believed that now he'll really need to go to the nurse's office.

 

When the class filed into the gym, Luhan did his best not to look petrified, but he had a feeling everybody could see it – possibly even smell it.

 

After their gym instructor explained the rules and warned them not to seriously hurt each other, he picked the two team captains randomly from the class roll. Thankfully, Sehun's name wasn't picked, so Luhan didn't have to be as humiliated as he would have been if he was picked – only because Sehun had a nasty habit of making sure no one picks Luhan until the end.

 

The first person picked was of course Sehun. No surprise there. Everyone knew he was the MVP.

 

As soon as his name was called, Sehun made his way over to the captain and whispered something in her ear. Luhan's stomach lurched. He had a good idea what Sehun could have possibly said to the girl.

 

Now Luhan was more sure than ever that he'll be dodging during the whole game.

 

The team picking went on for a while, and Luhan was picked by the other captain, a boy from class 8C. As Luhan made his way over to his team, the boy smiled at him, and unbeknownst to everyone, Sehun, who usually had a bored face on whenever they picked teams, actually scowled.

 

When the teams were finally picked, Yixing and Luhan waved at Kyungsoo, who was fortunate enough to be on the other team, as they made their way over to their territory. Yixing frowned as he and Luhan watched Kyungsoo huddle with his team members.

 

“We're losing, aren't we?” Yixing asked in a sad voice.

 

There was nothing Luhan could say to comfort him. They were definitely going to lose.

 

Before the game started, their captain (who Luhan found out was named Jaehyo) told them to spread out and not to stay in one spot for too long. He even gave them tips – like for example, when it's their turn to attack, they should aim for the side because everyone is bound to disperse from the middle. Luhan thought they were great advice, but he doubts he'll have the chance to test them out.

 

The coach blew his whistle, and the game officially began.

 

Two minutes in and three people from Luhan's team was already out – all thanks to Sehun.

 

Four minutes in, Jae Hyo eventually evened the game, so that each team had lost 5 members.

 

When a particularly fast ball from Sehun came blasting through their team, Luhan couldn't help but admire how Jaehyo dropped flat on the floor to avoid it. Jaehyo's reflexes were as good as Sehun's throws.

 

The game progressed with each team losing a member or two alternately. Yixing was ousted by none other than Kyungsoo, who sent him an apologetic look. Before he got off the square, Luhan heard Yixing muttering something about not letting Kyungsoo borrow his video games ever again.

 

Kyungsoo was then ousted by someone from Luhan's team while he was trying to run from the ball. Luhan did his best not to laugh. Yixing, on the other hand, was laughing hysterically from the sidelines.

 

For the most part, Luhan stood by the corners, trying his best not to draw attention to himself. Then suddenly the ball came flying past his head, missing him by just a few inches. Shocked at how he almost got knocked in the head, Luhan stood there with his eyes wide, looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

 

Jaehyo rushed over and asked if he was alright. He gave the boy a dazed nod.

 

“Stand behind me if you're scared,” Jaehyo said, pulling Luhan away from his spot in the corner. “I'll protect you.”

 

Luhan spluttered a soft, “Thank you,” before following Jaehyo.

 

Someone from the other team narrowed his eyes at the two.

 

The second half of the game was completely different from the first. It was no longer an even playing field – Sehun was dominating the whole half. He sent the ball flying left and right, hitting everyone in its path. Once, he threw the ball towards the center, and it would have hit Luhan, but Jaehyo quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him out of harm's way. Sehun didn't look too pleased after that – not that he ever looked pleased, but it was more noticeable than usual.

 

Sehun threw a hard ball straight towards Jaehyo's stomach, and though Jaehyo was hoping to catch it, it ended up knocking the wind out of him.

 

Sehun smirked, but that quickly disappeared when Luhan rushed over to help Jaehyo.

 

“Jaehyo, are you okay?”

 

Jaehyo nodded, grimacing a little when he spoke. “Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry I couldn't protect you. I –”

 

WHOOSH.

 

The ball whacked Jaehyo on the arm. Hard.

 

Luhan gasped.

 

“Get off the field!” Sehun shouted from the other side.

 

Luhan whirled around and stared angrily at the boy. “That was uncalled for! He was already out!”

 

“He should have walked out then! Why was he sticking around?” Sehun replied, face extremely irritated.

 

“You! Ugh!” Luhan grabbed the ball that was on the ground next to Jaehyo's feet and threw it at Sehun, who caught it like it was nothing.

 

“Don't be such a jerk, Oh Sehun!” Luhan shouted, face slightly embarrassed from finally being able to throw the ball only to have it caught by Sehun.

 

“Being good at dodgeball doesn't mean anything!” Luhan added, resisting the urge to stick out his tongue at the other.

 

“You wanna die?!” Sehun threatened, causing the coach to blow his whistle.

 

“Now Sehun, we won't be killing people here. Not for gym class,” the coach warned.

 

The game commenced with another blow of the whistle, and though he was given a warning, Sehun looked ready to murder.

 

Luhan's remaining teammates didn't look too happy with him. And Luhan couldn't blame them because it was mainly (entirely) his fault that Sehun started attacking them more aggressively.

Please log in to read the full chapter