Without

Something Flutters
Please log in to read the full chapter

Present Day

It's almost 7 AM and although it's a horrible time to be awake in Kyungsoo's opinion, he wakes up with a smile today because it's one of those mornings in which he wakes and finds out he's been using Jongin's arm as a substitute pillow. His favorite type of morning. 

 

Jongin has made it clear on multiple occasions that he's not a big fan of being Kyungsoo's pillow, but that has never stopped Kyungsoo from enjoying every chance he gets. Besides, it's not like he does it purpose. It just so happens that during the middle of the night, he would unknowingly migrate from his side of the bed to Jongin's side and naturally, that would lead him to resting his head on any part of Jongin that happens to be closest.

 

If Kyungsoo had a choice, he would love to sleep on Jongin's arm for a few more minutes, but unfortunately, he doesn't. He had to get off of Jongin before he woke up.

 

With a disappointed sigh, Kyungsoo rolls off of Jongin to get back to his side of the bed. Not even a second after he lays his head on his own actual pillow, the alarm goes off and it's obnoxiously loud. Kyungsoo immediately gets up and stretches his entire body across Jongin to turn off the annoying alarm, which happens to be on Jongin's nightstand.

 

“Why are you trying to seduce me so early in the morning?” Jongin asks with a grin, his eyes blinking away sleep. 

 

“Shut up. I was turning off your alarm clock.”

 

Jongin closes his eyes and smirks. “Your excuses have gotten better.....and you're still on me.”

 

Kyungsoo pushes himself off of Jongin and huffs. “It was so peaceful when you were asleep.”

 

“Why?” Jongin opens his eyes and directs them at Kyungsoo. “Because you used my arm as your personal pillow?”

 

Kyungsoo keeps his face straight. “I did no such thing.”

 

Jongin turns his head to the side. “Then why is my left arm numb?”

 

“Maybe because you didn't move it at all during the night?”

 

“I can see the imprint of your ear on my arm.”

 

Kyungsoo looks down at Jongin's arm and sure enough, there's a red outline of his ear embedded in Jongin's skin. Disappointed that he's been caught, Kyungsoo smacks Jongin's arm, his expression slightly irritated. “Well, so what if I slept on your arm?”

 

“It would be fine if your head wasn't so big,” Jongin answers. He sits up and leans against the headboard, his other hand trying to massage the numbness away from his left arm. “It weighs like a ton and my arms were not made to handle that sort of weight.”

 

“My head is not heavy!” Kyungsoo argues, face indignant.

 

“Of course you wouldn't think it's heavy. You had it since you were born.”

 

“Kim Jongin!”

 

“Kim Kyungsoo.”

 

Unfazed by the affectionate way Jongin says his name, Kyungsoo grabs Jongin's pillow and throws it at him. “If you consider me your spouse, then you should have no problems with me sleeping on you!”

 

“That was not in the marriage clause. I've never heard of anyone having to give up their arm when they get married.”

 

“It's what married couples do!” Kyungsoo reaches for his own pillow, but Jongin beats him to it.

 

“Like who?” Jongin asks as he hides the pillow behind his back. “Tell me. Who is stupid enough to enjoy that type of torture?”

 

“Sehun lets Luhan sleep on him all the time.”

 

Jongin rolls his eyes. “Sehun is stupid. Case closed.”

 

Kyungsoo scoffs. “If we're going to compare your intelligence to Sehun's, your case would never be closed.”

 

Jongin straightens up immediately. “You think Sehun is smarter than me?”

 

Kyungsoo tilts his head and acts innocent. “I thought everyone knew?”

 

Jongin scowls when Kyungsoo suddenly pats his cheek. “Let's go get ready, Mr. Case Closed.”

 

With a smirk, he clambers out of bed and heads to the bathroom. He hears Jongin groaning and complaining behind him as he too gets out of bed.

 

When Jongin enters the bathroom, scowl still on his face, Kyungsoo hands him his toothbrush (with minty paste already on it). He turns to face the mirror on the wall and starts brushing his teeth, fully aware that Jongin's staring at him.

 

“If you think Sehun's so smart, why don't you marry him then?” Jongin grumbles.

 

Kyungsoo smiles at the childish question. Deciding that he should humor Jongin just a little longer, Kyungsoo replies, “In case you haven't noticed, Sehun is happily married to my best friend.”

 

Jongin spits out the toothpaste and stares at Kyungsoo, stunned. “So if he wasn't married to Luhan, you would marry him?!”

 

“Is that what I said?”

 

Jongin stomps his foot angrily. “Yah!”

 

Kyungsoo laughs. “Why are you so easy?”

 

Quickly realizing that Kyungsoo may be right about him being easy, Jongin turns around and ignores him for the duration of their morning routine.

 

Some people may have a problem with their spouse not speaking to them, but Kyungsoo doesn't mind. In fact, he finds it amusing and he would have kept it up if it hadn't been for Jongin coming downstairs dressed in a sleek gray three-piece suit with his hair gelled up, looking incredibly handsome and beyond attractive.

 

Kyungsoo knows that Jongin is aware of his staring, but being Jongin, he chooses not to say anything as he walks around the kitchen aimlessly.

 

“Why are you dressed like that?”

 

“Like what?” Jongin asks, as if it's normal for him to dress up like he is now. He opens the utensils drawer and without taking anything out, he closes it.

 

Kyungsoo wants to laugh at Jongin's failed attempt to act normal, but he decides not to. Laughter can come later.

 

“Like you're an important person,” he answers with a sweet smile.

 

Jongin scrunches his face. “I am important.”

 

With his hands now on his hips, Kyungsoo demands, “Jongin, tell me why you're wearing a suit.”

 

“Since you're dying to know,” Jongin starts.

 

“Not exactly dying, but go on.”

 

Jongin smirks. “But you are interested.”

 

“Jongin.”

 

“Okay. If you must know, I'm meeting a very influential couple today. They're interested in hiring me to design their dream home and I plan on giving them the best first impression. Nothing says professional like a suit and tie.”

 

“You forgot the tie.”

 

Jongin's eyes widen and he looks down his chest only to find that Kyungsoo's right. “Great!”

 

Along with a few chosen swear words, Jongin marches back upstairs to put on a tie, while Kyungsoo wonders if he even knows where it is.

 

Honestly, Kyungsoo is surprised that Jongin could even find a decent suit to wear since his side of the closet is full of just jeans, t-shirts, button ups, and striped cardigans. Jongin has always been the type to wear comfortable clothes to work. He claims that it helps him think.

 

And although Kyungsoo has no problem with Jongin's usual style, he has to admit that seeing his lover in a business suit was extremely pleasing to the eyes. Now he knows how Luhan feels every morning.

 

A few minutes later, Jongin comes back down, still fidgeting with his tie. “I hate ties.”

 

“I'm sure it hates you too,” says Kyungsoo as he hands Jongin a cup of coffee and his breakfast box. “Don't skip breakfast.”

 

“I'll try not to, but you know, I'm a very important person who's really busy all the time. My whole team depends on me and my extremely creative mind.”

 

“You're still hung up on the Sehun thing,” Kyungsoo muses.

 

Jongin sighs. “Just tell me you would pick me again if you could relive your life.”

 

Kyungsoo laughs. “Fine. If I get the chance to live my life over, I would still pick you, Jongin.”

 

Jongin grins. “Thanks. That was very sweet of you to say.”

 

“I've always been generous, especially to the less fortunate.”

 

Jongin frowns at him, exactly like Kyungsoo had expected him to.

 

“Now don't you dare miss breakfast,” Kyungsoo threatens as he ushers Jongin out the door. “I will call your assistant and ask him.”

 

“He could easily lie since he works for me.”

 

“I doubt it. He's always stuttering when he talks to me. I think he's afraid of me.”

 

“Like everyone else,” Jongin mutters.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

Kyungsoo pats Jongin on the back. “Have a good day at work and good luck with your meeting. I'm sure you'll do fine.”

 

Jongin's standing in the hallway of their apartment complex when he asks, “Because I'm charming, right?”

 

“No. You just have a decent smile.”

 

Jongin gives him a goofy smile in response. “You love my smile.”

 

“Bye, Jongin.”

 

“Don't miss me too much,” Jongin states right before he gives Kyungsoo a half-hearted wave.

 

“Don't worry. I won't.”

 

Kyungsoo closes the door and exhales. Another morning conquered.

 

He looks around the living room and frowns a bit, just a tiny bit. It's honestly too quiet without Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo's thinking about going back to sleep when the door suddenly bursts open and Jongin comes striding in, face determined.

 

“I forgot something,” he declares.

 

“What?”

 

Jongin calmly places his coffee cup on the table. “This,” he says as he sweeps Kyungsoo off his feet and crashes their lips together.

 

Kyungsoo blinks rapidly because he didn't expect this, but thankfully, he is able to quickly recover from the initial shock. He loops his arms around Jongin's neck and kisses him back, almost feverishly.

 

“We're having lunch later today. Make sure you come by my office,” says Jongin as he pulls away.

 

“You can't decide that on your own. What if I don't want to have lunch with you?”

 

Jongin puts Kyungsoo back down and calmly tells him, “We're having lunch and you're going to love it because you'll miss seeing my handsome face by that time.”

 

“Don't flatter yourself,” snorts Kyungsoo as he tries his best to ignore Jongin's naughty hands as they slide down his back before eventually settling on his .

 

“It's cute when you pretend you're not affected by me,” says Jongin, cocky smile included.

 

Kyungsoo swats his hands away. “Go to work, Jongin.”

 

“Fine.” Jongin leans in and kisses the corner of his lips. “I'll see you later.”

 

Kyungsoo watches as Jongin picks up his coffee and leaves for real this time.

 

Alone once again, Kyungsoo glances at the handmade clock on the wall. It's 7:30. He has an hour and a half before he has to be in the studio.

 

With that in mind, he goes back into the bedroom, takes his diary out of the drawer, and plops down on the bed. He takes a moment to think about what happened this morning before he turns to a new page and starts writing – putting his feelings into words.

 

Date: Day 62 of being married to Kim Jongin. Thoughts: Even though Jongin made a big fuss about me using him as a pillow (again), I bet, deep down, he enjoys it. He also thinks he has an “effect” on me and he's right (such rarity). We have another unplanned lunch date (somewhat looking forward to it). And lastly, he should wear suits more often (ties are optional). Mood: Feeling very loved. 

 

*******

By now, Suho should be used to waking up and finding Yixing's feet next to his face, but he's not.

 

He looks down to his own feet and finds Yixing's sleeping face next to it. Even if he shouldn't be laughing, at least not this early in the morning, he ends up burying his face into the pillow to muffle his laughter.

 

Yixing suddenly stirs and Suho stops laughing immediately.

 

He sits up and watches Yixing as he tries to open his eyes. It usually takes him a minute or two to actually open his eyes fully, and Suho wonders if that is also the case today.

 

“What happened?” Yixing mumbles when he sees Suho's feet first thing in the morning.

 

“You did it again,” answers Suho, referring to Yixing's habit of moving around in his sleep.

 

Yixing gets up and rubs his eyes. “I may have a good reason this time. I dreamt that I was running a marathon in order to raise money for the hospital.”

 

“That's nice. Did you finish first?”

 

Yixing frowns as he recalls the result of the imaginary race. “No. I came in last. I've never been a good runner.”

 

Suho smiles at Yixing's honesty. “Should we get ready?”

 

Yixing takes a few seconds to yawn and stretch, but eventually, he hops out of bed, a bright smile on his face. “Let's go!”

 

Suho finds it amazing how Yixing is always enthusiastic every morning. Given his killer work schedule at the hospital and the stress that comes along with being one of the chief doctors, it's honestly a mystery how Yixing can remain so positive.

 

“Do I have something on my face?” asks Yixing when he catches Suho staring at him from across their breakfast table.

 

Suho shakes his head and clears his throat. “Nothing. I was just wondering why you're always so happy and eager in the morning.”

 

“Because you're the first person I see in the morning,” Yixing states with an adoring smile. “Seeing you every morning and knowing that we're together gives me energy. You're like my daily vitamin.”

 

Suho's cheeks turn bright red. Yixing, who probably thinks he looks cute, chuckles.

 

“Well, do you have anything to say to me?” Yixing asks when Suho decides to stare at the porridge in his bowl.

 

Suho clears his throat and looks up, heart skipping a beat when he finds Yixing's eyes glued to him. “Um. You're good with words – I admire that.”

 

Yixing grins. “I'm good at a lot of things. Loving you is one of them.”

 

Suho narrows his eyes suspiciously. “Did something happen at the hospital?”

 

It's normal for Yixing to occasionally sweet talk him during breakfast, but what's strange about today is that he's gone past sweet and is now entering cheesy territory. Suho can tell that something must have happened, something positive – enough to put Yixing in such a mood.

 

“I meant what I said,” Yixing starts, expression amused. “But as a matter of fact, something did happen at the hospital. Something great. You remember little Minji?”

 

“Yes. She's the little girl who wants to marry you when she grows up, right?”

 

“Yup. She underwent surgery yesterday and is currently on her way to a full recovery. She'll finally be able to leave the hospital!”

 

“That's great! Her parents must be glad.”

 

Yixing smiles. “They're over the moon.”

 

“You really love your job,” Suho remarks, recognizing the twinkle in Yixing's eyes.

 

Yixing's entire face brightens. “Helping people is one of the best feelings in the world. I love what I do.”

 

“I'm happy you do. Consider yourself lucky.”

 

Yixing raises his eyebrow. “You love your job too though – even if Baekhyun is a handful.”

 

Suho smiles at the mention of Baekhyun. “I'm going to really love my job today because he won't be there.”

 

Feeling the need to celebrate, Suho raises his glass of water and Yixing does the same with his. “To a day without Baekhyun,” he toasts.

 

Yixing chuckles, apparently amused by Suho's enthusiasm. “Cheers.”

 

After breakfast, they change into their workout clothes to go on a quick jog around their neighborhood. Although he's not a big fan of exercise or sweating excessively, Suho has to admit that he genuinely enjoys their morning jogs. It is one of the few quiet, relaxing moments of their day. The calm before the storm.

 

“Hey Suho, where's my tumbler?”

 

“In the second drawer.”    

 

Yixing pulls back the second drawer and takes out his purple tumbler  – the one with the words I'm a certified healer! and a yellow smiley face with a stethoscope.

 

“Do you know where my red socks are? The one with the white polka dots.”

 

“Laundry room.”

 

Yixing runs back upstairs to get his socks while Suho puts jelly sandwiches into his lunch box. He waits for Yixing to return – to ask more questions.

 

“Is it my turn to cook dinner tonight?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Should I pick up more food for our fishes?”

 

“No, there's enough for another week.”

 

“Can we visit my parents this weekend?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Have you seen my favorite prescription pen?”

 

“It's in your shirt pocket.”

 

“Ah! Wow. You're really good at this.”

 

Suho smiles fondly at Yixing. “I have years of experience.”

 

After scrambling around for a solid ten minutes, Yixing is finally dressed and ready to leave. He gives Suho a brief kiss on the cheek (to save time) and heads out the door.

 

With the car keys in his hand, Suho counts to five. “1...2...3...4 –”

 

The door swings open and Yixing's flushed face appears. “I forgot my keys.”

 

Suho throws him the keys and reminds him to drive safely. Yixing gives him another quick kiss on the cheek and dashes out the door, determined to beat morning traffic.

 

For the third time this week, Suho silently walks to the coat closet and takes out Yixing's white coat. He stands by the door and waits for Yixing to realize that he's forgotten something else.

 

Yixing may be forgetful, but he's quick to realize what he has forgotten. It's a strange trait.

 

Fulfilling Suho's expectation, Yixing runs back into the house seconds later. “Suho! My co–”

 

Suho hands Yixing the coat. “Here you go. Now you have everything.”

 

“What would I be without you?” Yixing asks, grateful.

 

“Hopeless,” Suho answers with a grin and this time, he kisses Yixing (right on the mouth).

 

Yixing hums his agreement. “Absolutely hopeless,” he whispers.


Suho kisses Yixing again because he feels the same way. He would be hopeless without Yixing. Completely hopeless. 


 

*******

The sun's barely up, but Baekhyun can already hear Chanyeol thrashing around next to him. He's about to turn around and smack Chanyeol for waking him up at such an hour when suddenly Chanyeol jumps out of bed.

 

“BAEK, WE'RE LATE!” he shouts before pulling the covers off of Baekhyun. “WE NEED TO PACK!”

 

Baekhyun snatches back the covers. “You need to pack,” he corrects. “Not me.”

 

“BUT YOU HAVE TO HELP ME!”

 

“Chanyeol, if you yell one more time, I swear I will kick you where it hurts.”

 

Chanyeol blinks at him. “Then how are you going to live?”

 

“Park Chanyeol!”

 

Chanyeol takes a cautious step back. He always does when Baekhyun calls him by his full name. “We have to be at Sehun and Luhan's in less than an hour and my suitcase is empty,” he says, giving Baekhyun his best puppy eyes.

 

“Why didn't you pack before?” Baekhyun grumbles.

 

“I wanted to pack last night, but you had other plans –”

 

“Do not blame me f

Please log in to read the full chapter