October 27, 2009

The 27th of October

O c t o b e r    2 7,    2 0 0 9

 

 

“You ready, buddy?”

Jongin taps my shoulder before entering the concert hall.

I smile as I place my hand on my chest, feeling it vibrate in my ribcage. Though the hall was loud–people’s senseless chattering, phones ringing, buttons clicking, footsteps, clapping —all I can hear is my heart beating wildly. I have no idea why I feel anxious. I literally shiver as we walk towards our seats.

Jongin beams at me, his teeth glistening white. I try to flash him a smile, but it turns out as a hopeless case. Feeling my awkwardness, he tries to comfort me with words.

“Loosen up.”

At least he tried.

“I’m sure, hyung will look amazing! And he always does.” Jongin winks and clicks his tongue. “So, now, why don’t we take our seats and wait for their performance?”

The lights went off and signals the start of the concert. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s duet is the main event as they are the top students in class. Thirty minutes pass and I constantly squirm in my seat. I feel my heart getting uneasy as time passes by.

I can’t wait to hear his voice.

I’ve heard Kyungsoo’s singing voice a million times. I’m really looking forward to hearing Baekhyun’s—like really looking forward to it. He rumored to have the perfect pitch with an angelic melodious tone.

The lights in the whole hall suddenly went out and the audience gasp at the unexpected turn of events. A few seconds later, the hushes and murmur of the crowd are silenced by a pair voice syncing beautifully. People gasp in awe.

After two lines, the voices stops.

A voice erupts and begins with the second verse. It was definitely Kyungsoo’s. After a few lines, it halts. A few seconds later, another voice makes me shiver as it hits a couple of high notes.

Everything goes into slow motion.

Slowly, the lights open one by one as the sight of Baekhyun emerges from my eyes. His black suit fits him perfectly—it complements his milky skin and perfectly hugs his physique. I gulp at the sight.

This is a duet, I keep reminding myself. Kyungsoo is singing too, I know it, but my ears are only decoding Baekhyun’s. The way his angel-like voice caresses my eardrums is like life chord—like my life depended on it.

My eyes are locks into Baekhyun’s figure as he sings. Though his eyes are closed, the passion is evident. His voice lingers into my skin as my heart beats incredibly wild, my ribcage can break at any time.

The song ends.

Baekhyun opens his eyes.

His gaze focuses on mine.

My mind traces back months, days…

 

 

I remember Kyungsoo when I asked him why he likes Jongin and why did he fall in love so hard with him.  He smiled and answered. “That one special moment will come. Some people might feel it at the first meeting, but some will take a while. But one thing’s for sure, when the right person comes, you will know. You will know when it’s love.”

Back then, I thought it was stupid because how do you know that it’s love? There has to be an explanation.

 

 But today, Baekhyun’s eyes lock onto mine and his lips form a smile just like last year’s when we left Jongin with Kyungsoo in that café--our hands were clasped as snow started to fall—it’s the same smile.

Suddenly my heart stops beating.

It’s unexplainable. Kyungsoo’s words echo through my head. “When the right person comes, you will know.” It all makes sense now.

I love Byun Baekhyun.