Bared Hearts

My Enemy, My Lover
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the Exo-M pack returned to their cabin, Kris immediately sent Yiru to her room. Yiru didn’t even acknowledge him and took angry strides to her room that were enunciated by the loud clacking of her high heels against the wooden floor, slamming the door shut behind her with a loud bang.

Once she was out of sight, Kris let out a frustrated groan and ran a hand across his once-coiffed hair that was now in a mess after the fight he had with Baekhyun. “Go talk some sense into your sister,” he ordered Lay before stomping off to his office for a much needed drink.

Lay stood at the foyer for a long moment with his lips pursed in a thin line, unsure of what to do. Did he really want to face the wrath of his fuming sister or go against his leader’s orders?

Suddenly, Lay felt a hand clamp down on his shoulder, which brought him out of his daze. He turned his head to look at the owner of the hand and found Luhan, who had a small, sympathetic smile on his face. “So are you going to talk to Yiru?” Luhan asked him.

“Do I  really have a choice?” Lay questioned back.

Luhan just shrugged and patted Lay on the shoulder for good luck before walking away. The other Exo-M members, who were in different states of injury and dishevelment due to the fight with Exo-K, also muttered ‘good luck’s and gave Lay encouraging slaps on the back.

After they had all gone to their own rooms to clean up and rest after an exhausting night, Lay continued to stand in his spot on the foyer, attempting to build up courage to go talk to his sister. To be honest, he just wanted to go join Kris in his office and drink a whole bottle of whisky, even though he knew he couldn’t get drunk due to his speedy wolf metabolism. Also, Kris probably wouldn’t have let him in unless he went to talk to Yiru first. So with a deep sigh, Lay nodded at himself and made his way to his sister’s room. He knocked warily on the door and waited for a reply.

“Go away, unless you want to die,” a muffled voice said behind the door. Lay rolled his eyes and tried turning the doorknob, which was unfortunately locked.

“Yiru,” he called. “Open the door.”

“Did you not hear me? Just leave me alone.”

Lay thought about leaving her alone for now just as she wished but then shook his head to get rid of the thought. He had to do this sooner or later.

Inside her room, Yiru paced back and forth with her arms crossed over her chest. She stared out at her window, which displayed a beautiful sight of the bright red moon hovering above the trees. Yiru was very tempted to jump out her window and run to Baekhyun as she had done so many times in the past. However, now that her whole pack and the Council were involved in her situation, she knew it would not be the smartest move at the moment.

A knock on her door echoed throughout her room again, causing Yiru to groan in frustration. The last thing she wanted to do was talk to her brother - or rather, get scolded by him. She had to admit, her actions tonight were quite rash, but she got caught up in her emotions and could not help herself. She was driven by passion and anger, two very dangerous emotions, especially for a wolf in mating.

“I swear, Yiru, if you don’t open this door I will break this down in three seconds!” Lay yelled from behind the door.

Yiru groaned again and stomped to the door. Just as Lay was about to slam his shoulder into the wooden door, Yiru opened it swiftly, causing Lay to stumble through the door frame. Luckily for him, he caught himself before he could fall to the floor.

“Were you really going to barge in my room and break my door?” Yiru asked rhetorically. She already knew the answer to that.

“We need to talk.”

“About what?” Yiru asked with an annoyed tone. She turned away from her brother and sat at the edge of her bed. “There’s nothing to talk about. I broke the law. I went against my clan. I’m going to die.”

“You are not going to die,” Lay refuted. “We won’t let that happen. Kris won’t let  that happen.”

“Please don’t mention his name right now,” Yiru said with her eyes closed. He was the last being she wanted to see or talk about. Like always, he blew the whole situation out of proportion, and she wanted nothing more than to smash his face in with her own fists after what he had done to Baekhyun. She could still picture her mate’s bloodied face. Even though she knew he would heal fast, she still could not bear to see her mate in that state of injury.

“I don’t think you have the right to be angry with him,” Lay voiced his opinion. “You were the one who went behind his - no our - backs, and you know he has feelings for you. You know I heard what that Cinereo wolf said to you about leading Kris on. I think he’s right. How could you do that to our best friend, our family?” He was out of breath by the time he ended his short monologue. He did not plan on being so harsh, but he needed to set his sister straight and bring her back to her right mind.

Yiru closed her eyes as tears threatened to spill out. “I can’t help but be angry with him. He hurt my mate. You know how it is with mating. I will do anything to protect my mate and will hurt anyone or anything that hurts him.”

“Yir-”

“And what would you have done if you were in my situation?” Yiru cut him off. “If you had a mate but couldn’t be with her but knew in your heart that you wanted to be with her no matter what, wouldn’t you want to keep your relationship a secret? I did this to protect Baekhyun and myself because I knew how everyone would react.”

Lay was at a loss of words. All he could see in front of him was a helpless figure, who only wanted to protect the one she loved the most.

“So can’t you understand why I did what I did?” Yiru questioned more quietly. “I admit, I was very rash tonight, and I apologize for that. This wasn’t the way I wanted everyone to find out. I was going to tell the others soon, but Baekhyun and I just wanted to be happy just for a little while longer before we caused any trouble.”

“I think you should apologize to Kris,” Lay suggested. “No, you should apologize to him.”

Yiru nodded. “I will, but can it wait until tomorrow? There is still a part of me that wants to bash his head into a wall.”

“Yeah, of course,” Lay nodded, a little surprised at how compliant his sister was now being. “But please try to keep your claws in when you do.”

“I’ll try.”

►◄►◄►◄

On the other side of the river in Exo-K’s cabin, Baekhyun was sitting on the edge of his bed with his face buried in his hands, enveloped in the darkness of his room. All he could think about was his feelings of self-loathe and anger. Was it his fault they got caught? Maybe he shouldn’t have asked Yiru for a danc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter