Longing Kisses in Chengdu

Wanderlust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The Chinese Valentine’s Day Festival, also called Qixi Festival, is on the 7th day of the 7th lunar month in the Chinese calendar. If one raises their head in the evening and gazes at the stars, one will find something romantic going on in the sky. On this night, Niu Lang and Zhi Nu will meet on a bridge of magpies across the Milky Way. Chinese grandmothers will remind children that they would not be able to see any magpies on that evening because all of them have left to form a bridge in the heavens with their wings.”

 

Mei was nervously breathing in and out as she stood in the lobby, a few minutes earlier than she and Luhan had arranged. It was mere anticipation and excitement which had called her out of bed too early and she had taken her time to do her morning procedure, dressing and styling herself. Although Luhan might even find her beautiful after a long nap in the car, after waking up in the morning or after running a dozen miles, she wanted to put effort into being extraordinary outstanding in his eyes today.

Ren never told her that she was beautiful, not even a little hint had he ever given her and for today she didn’t even mind anymore. She only wanted Luhan to find her beautiful.

The feeling of guilt had been planted in Mei’s heart when she fell asleep, growing bigger and bigger throughout the night, but something in her heart was also stronger than the guilt burdening her. In the morning when she opened her eyes, the negative vibe was concealed by a stronger anticipation for the day than the evening before.

She really wanted to spend Valentine’s Day with Luhan and for a little moment, she admitted to herself that he was the only one she would want to spend it with now.

 

“The young cowherd Niu Lang came across a beautiful girl, Zhi Nu, a weaver girl and the seventh daughter of the Goddess. They fell in love with each other and got married to live a happy life with Niu Lang proving to be a good husband and Zhi Nu a wonderful wife.”

 

Footsteps could be heard from the stairs and Mei turned around, hoping that it was not another guest who came down for breakfast, but the one she had been waiting for - and this time, it was him. His blonde hair was as outstanding as the cheerfulness his appearance gave off and his bright smile that caused everyone around him to join. Unwanted her heart jumped out of beat, sending a huge wave of affection free.

“You’re early!” Luhan exclaimed when had reached her, stopping in front of Mei.

“You too!” She blurted and immediately felt stupid over her answer. Was there something more nonsensical she could have returned? Why couldn’t she seem to find the right words at the right time? At least something more logical, nicer, something more… romantic.

“I couldn’t sleep anymore,” Luhan admitted and Mei let out a relieved sigh because she had been feeling like this for hours now and her nervousness lessened a bit with his confession since she had thought that only her sleep was disturbed with feelings way too pleasant to be nightmares.

“You’re not the only one.” She then told him, uncertain about his reaction, but her worries faded away when Luhan let out a quiet chuckle.

“I’m glad, because I’m really looking forward to this day.”

“What did you plan for our d…” Mei cut off her sentence, the shock freezing her and her mind searching for another word than the one she was about to say. Though, the hesitation lasted longer than she would have wanted to, to make it less awkward.

No, this wasn’t a date. It couldn’t be described as one, not with her having a boyfriend waiting for her, despite all the factors which were proving them wrong in the other beholder’s eyes. She had been going out with Luhan like this every day the past weeks. What had changed that made the word slip out of her lips so easily now?

But Luhan didn’t bother. At least he tried to show that the word slip never happened. Covering himself with a crack of a smile, he told her, “let me surprise you. You’re not able to spend the day with Ren, so I’ll do my best to replace him today.”

Mei’s heart sank when she heard him say those words, bringing her sadness and disappointment. Was it this what Luhan was thinking of her? That she was seeing him as replacement only, because her boyfriend was not here with her? Because he was thinking that it was a Ren-substitute she needed and not only Luhan himself?

Mei didn’t return a word. Because now, she was in doubts too. What was it that she wanted today? Was it actually Luhan or someone to conceal the guilt she felt towards her boyfriend - someone she should need badly because she couldn’t be with him right now.

And it hurt Mei even more when Luhan kept his smile while she was following him out of the entrance door. They walked side by side, a silence enveloping them as each of them were dragged away by their own thoughts, an awkwardness building up due to Luhan’s statement earlier.

 

“Zhi Nu also gave birth to a boy and a girl. However, good times didn't last long because the Goddess of Heaven found out that Zhi Nu had married a mere mortal. The Goddess forced Zhi Nu to return back to heaven and follow her former duty of weaving colorful clothes which she had neglected during her stay on earth.”

 

And then, Luhan’s hand found hers, their fingers interlacing to a fond, yet strong entity as they continued their walk and somehow, it helped them to get over the conversation, even if it was just a little. But it proved Mei for a break of a second, that it had always been Luhan’s touch she needed to be comforted by - never Ren’s.

They continued their way with a smile, and it was when Luhan turned aside to face her, his soft features illuminated by the sunrays, that made her doubts vanish for a short moment

“You look beautiful,” he told her.

And Luhan had reached the aim to be the only one to tell her this until then.

Mei didn’t like to think that everything was fine when it certainly wasn’t. Though for that day, she could let go and just pretend. She never wanted to live a dream. But when a dream was better than reality, would it be so wrong to get enchanted and escape the cruelty of reality just for a few hours?

And with a smile, she followed him to wherever he would lead her.

 

 

In Luhan’s and Mei’s eyes, they were just two friends spending a day with each other (although their hearts insisted otherwise). But in the other beholder’s eyes, they gave off another feeling than their minds would like to admit to them.

The passerby-ers didn’t see two friends casually walking side by side, joking, chatting and laughing with one another, spending their time nonchalantly with each other.

The gazes they shared were loving and spoke more than words could have told about them. Their intertwined fingers of which neither of them let go, not even for a second, showed how much of an entity they had become and that they didn’t want to get separated either. His other hand reached out tenderly for her whenever it was possible, playing with her hair and tucking some strands behind her ear; his face was near to hers, telling her about the things they witnessed, some words whispered, some words half-chuckled and some words just fondly her soul.

And she returned all of his loving gestures in the only way possible, in the only way she was allowed to: her gazes. When he played with her hair, she smiled at him with sparkling eyes, very endearingly; when he tucked strands of her hair which had gotten loosen behind her ear, she looked at the ground, savoring the touch with flushed cheeks; when his lips touched her earlobe, she bit her lip and shut her eyes closed because she felt her heart was bursting.

The passerby-ers saw two lovers walking side by side, a couple spending Valentine’s Day with their counterpart, the one they loved the most – because they naturally behaved like one.

And somewhere throughout the day, Luhan and Mei had accepted that too.

At least they pretended. Because it was just too beautiful.

 

“On Earth, Niu Lang was very upset that his wife had disappeared. Suddenly, his ox began to talk, telling him that if he killed it and put on its hide, he would be able to go up to Heaven to find his Zhi Nu. Crying bitterly, he killed the ox, put on the skin, and carried his two beloved children off to Heaven to chase for his wife and his children’s mother.”

 

When Luhan and Mei arrived at the temple, there were already many young girls, partaking in worshipping the celestials during rituals, doing the customs which had still remained through the centuries and which hadn’t gotten lost yet. A few were burning paper items such as offerings, some traditionally displaying their domestic skills by showing who was the best in threading needles, sewing and modernly, gathering toiletries or preparing food in honor of Zhi Nu.

Mei had been through a few of the customs a lot when she was younger, always accompanied by her grandmother who was a very traditional woman. Back then, she had always prayed to Zhi Nu in order to be endowed with sewing skills and a few more, always promising he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter