Prologue: An Early Farewell

Wanderlust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An address and a phone number, neatly written down on a small sheet, pinned on her wall.

That was everything Mei had from the boy she would be travelling with during the next few weeks. She didn’t know his face, nor had she ever heard his voice before. Their contact was solely based on text messages, which were exchanged via messenger, to discuss the details of their journey (which was probably very odd through an outsider's view, she had to admit).

Mei had never been a person who was very fond of talking to strangers. She was not that open towards unfamiliar people, often seeming too indifferent and not particularly nice at the beginning. However, she didn’t want to be misunderstood, because it wasn’t like she was cold or anything. She was just shy, needing to grow comfortable between people and get to know them better before she would open up to them.

She strongly believed in the chemistry of two people as well—being they either they had one or they did not. The first case, which was the best one, served as the base for a joyful friendship, or even relationship, built upon trust and honesty. Two people who could be themselves when they were around each other, with no uncomfortable moments, no embarrassing situations, only warmth and comfort, because they just matched—that was the kind of relationship she wanted to believe in, the kind of relationship she loved. (The kind of relationship she had with her boyfriend.)

When two people get to know each other, the first impression becomes very important. In the blink of an eye, there are endless factors which decide whether both could get along with each other or not. Whether his scent, his smile, the way he moves, the way he talks, the way his voice sounds were likeable were only a few of so many factors which could be ruled out within a second and decide whether a relationship, or even a friendship, is possible in the near future.

Mei was surprised, even by herself, when she had decided to join her boyfriend’s college friend on his road trip. For Mei, being stuck in long car journeys and hotel rooms together with a stranger completely disarranged her thinking. However, there was no other choice than to get along with the stranger, even if his first impression was bad, even if he was rude, even if he’d have a bad character or annoy her to the fullest; and yes, even if he’d feel the same way about her. There was no way for either one of them to get themselves out of this, because once they decided to drive off, they were stuck together. (So why was it that Mei still chose to do this?)

 

Someone knocked on her door. He carefully peeked through the slot, in case she was still sleeping. It was her father.

“Dad, I’m awake,” she said, smiling, while taking some neatly folded clothes in her hands and putting them into her suitcase.

“Ah!” He seated himself on her bed, watching his daughter pack her belongings. “I just wanted to say goodbye before I leave for work.”

Mei tilted her head and touched his hand, giving him an encouraging look. Although it took her two weeks to convince him of her plan, she could hear from his voice that his doubts were still present.  “I’ll be okay. It’s going to be fine.”

He sighed, his eyes reflecting worry as he looked up to her. “I still don’t know. Travelling with a stranger the whole summer break? Even if he’s your fiancé’s college friend, he’s still a stranger to you and I don’t like the thought of you being kidnapped and murdered.”

Mei laughed and shook her head. “First of all, he’s not my fiancé. At least not yet. That’s why I want to go. I want to give him the answer he’s been waiting for since he flew to Korea. And second, kidnapped and murdered? Really? He’s one of Ren’s best friends, so I trust him.” (She had to trust him.) “And I can also visit mom since I don’t get to see her that often. So, I only benefit from this trip. Or are you just afraid of being alone?” she teased, causing her father to laugh as well.

“Trust me,” he replied. “You showed me how to cook, so this won’t be a problem. And if I ever burn the kitchen, I will go downstairs to your grandmother and let her feed me. How does that sound?”

“Perfect.”

He stood up and gave Mei a tender kiss on her forehead. “You know that you have to text me every day, right? And if you miss it even once, I won’t hesitate to call the police and hunt him...uhm...”

“Lu Han,” she responded with a grin.

“And hunt Lu Han down.” The man pulled her into an embrace and hugged her tightly for the last time. “Take care of yourself, Mei. I know you’re a very careful and responsible person, but you are a girl, after all, and I will crush anyone who tries to hurt you. This Lu Han guy should be warned.”

“You’re crushing me now,” she breathed, and he let her go, giving her one last wave before he walked out of the door.

Mei sighed and then smiled over her father’s dedication, because even though he knew very well that she was old enough to take care of herself, he still treated her like a young child. Since her mother left the family five years ago, when she was 16, everything changed. Their family now only consisted of them both, and her grandmother who was running her little flower shop on the first floor beneath them, and she and her father became closer than ever before.

Mei’s eyes trailed to the paper which was lying beside her suitcase. Listed on it were all the things she needed to pack, from toothpaste to clothes, from her hairdryer to shower gel; everything was cleanly written down so that she wouldn’t forget even the simplest thing. The belongings which she had already put in the bag were marked with an ‘x’ and while scanning down the paper, she realized that she was done and ready to go. A glance at the clock showed her that there was still enough time before Lu Han would come to pick her up, so she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter