Epilogue: Gratitude

EXO SERIES: I'm Byun Baekhyun's Traitor [PLEASE DO NOT TRANSLATE/PLAGIARIZE]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[A/N: Sigh, I am speechless. Out of all the finales I have written (From JooHun to ChaeHan to LayJin, Seulhyun is probably the most painful to write. I had so many ups and downs while writing this fic, and it didn't help that Baekhyun became my bias while I was doing this. I can't believe this story took almost two years, but like what they say, all's well ends well. Everyone, thank you for your love and support. I present to you the final chapter of EXO Series:I'm Byun Baekhyun's Traitor :)

Bg music to be provided later. ]

This fanfic is for you :)

>>>SEUL MIN'S POV<<<

Baekhyun's shoulders tensed at my confession. I was certain that he did not expect a miserable coffee shop barista  to chase him down the street and confess her undying love for him.

"I'm still in love with you, Baekhyun." I repeated, but it was hard to act composed when all I really wanted was a miracle to happen between us.

But who was I to wish that? 

What kind of egotism was I displaying? 

It was my fault, and circumstances decided that it was payback time.

Baekhyun sighed an intensely long, agonizing sigh without looking at me.

"If I hug and embrace you, do you really think that this will be a happy ending?" Baekhyun asked me, his eyes getting glassy because of the tears that wished to fall.

"We will make it a happy ending." I promised and tried to caress his face. Baekhyun flinched at the contact and rejected my action.

"It's not that easy, and love is not enough for this to work." He finally broke it, gently. 

But it hurt more than it should because,

Words always cut the deepest.

I looked down at my ratty, old, New Balance sneakers and felt the whole world conspiring against me. When I looked up again, Baekhyun was already crying. His perfectly applied eyeliner was destroyed when he scratched his eyes and covered his mouth as he tried not to induce crying.

Passers by were beginning to recognize Baekhyun, but he immediately pulled me into one secluded corner of the street and wore his signature black face mask.

The screaming fangirls' voices could be heard from a distance, but for a minute, we kept quiet to go unnoticed.

"I haven't forgotten you. I thought I did, but my love for you won't be enough for this to work out. In this progress, we forgot about trust, and in this life, love is too much of a big word. I just can't imagine being with you without doubts penetrating every inch of my body. Even if we kiss or date or have after reconciling, I'd still be consumed by the idea that you might betray me again. I'm sorry." Baekhyun admitted, fighting hard not to cry anymore.

"I'm sorry, Baekhyun. Tell me. What can I do to heal you?" I asked desperately, my dignity slipping away. Baekhyun shook his head in disdain.

"Don't do that. Respect yourself. Let's not control the situation by forcing things. The wounds we have remain, and one kiss, one embrace cannot heal them. But love yourself, because at the end of the day, you only have you, and isn't that comforting? After losing the people you love the most, you still have yourself, so don't give yourself to someone broken like me. Give yourself to the damaged you, and love it. Mend it, and fix it before anything else." Baekhyun told me honestly, making me choke and wonder what kind of philosophical bug bit him. 

Where was that maturity coming from?

The silence between us thickened as I attempted to absorb Baekhyun's words. The freezing Seoul weather made it tough for me to endure the broken parts of my emotional self, and I wished I had a warm human touch touching where it ached.

"Of course. Ah wow, I'm not gonna lie and say that this is pleasant news, but indeed, let's not force things if they can't be. Let time heal the wounds?" I confirmed, but I was very sure that I looked hideous while crying. 

Baekhyun nodded. "Yes. Let's make time heal the wounds. Until then, let's respect each other's solitude. We never know, we might find each other someday, at the right place, at the right time. Doesn't fate work that way?"

I nodded in agreement, but really? How many two people breaking up can maintain a dignified composure? 

Perhaps women in novels might hate me for this thing I am about to do, but they're not me. And they don't know love like I do. When I fall, I do it unconditionally.

Or perhaps Baekhyun would repel when he hears this, but at least, when I go home this evening to lie on my bed, I'll know that I did not give up without a fight.

"Byun Baekhyun, even if you're pushing me away to the deepest corners of hell, I want to let you know that I'm here, and I love you. I won't stop loving you because my heart belongs to you. I fell for you, and I fell so hard. Time will heal the wounds, and yes, I will be waiting for that time when your wounds are nothing but a faint scar. Yes, I will be waiting for you. So when you're ready, come back to me. I'll be right here, waiting. Until then, I Kim Seul Min, want to ask, can I continue loving you?"

With my words, Baekhyun just broke down into real, human tears. 

>>>BAEKHYUN'S POV<<<

Can I continue loving you?

How can five simple words make a man cry?

I let my silence answer Seul Min.

Of course she can love me, but how is it possible for someone to love without asking anything in return? How many people in this world full of scandal and impurity can love someone without knowing what the future holds? How can someone so broken like her, continue loving someone so damaged by mistrust?

And can someone so pained like me, accept the love that was being given?

I simply cannot. Not because I had trust issues, but because I was not yet the person who deserved it.

And when the time comes, when I'm no longer impaired by doubts and brokenness, I'll slowly seep my way through her life, hoping that she'd still be there.

And as to when that will happen?

I really don't know.

not yet.

Over the span of two months, I did everything to recuperate from the illness th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter