Fire and Ice

Roll Like A Wolf

 

 

Chanyeol stood there motionless at the sight of Baekhyun. The air of silence thickened around them, settling on top of them, layer by layer. It suffocated even Luhan and D.O, who felt like intruders witnessing an intimate moment.

 

Chanyeol took a step forward, causing Baekhyun to flinch and slowly take a step back. Hurt, Chanyeol tried to decrease the distance between them once more. Only to stop when Baekhyun cowered further with a slight tremble in his step.

 

As Baekhyun lifted his gaze from the ground, it locked with Chanyeol once more. The memories of the past hit them both hard as they searched for part of their own lost soul in each other’s eyes.

 

The sunlight showered the meadow with the golden flakes that flowed through the lush pale green grass. The grass was as thin as hair that was soft to the touch. The clouds passed by over nonchalantly, singing the soft tune of summer. The wind ran through the tall grass, splitting in all directions. The single tree that stood in the meadow reached its arms towards the sun in a feeble attempt to feel its warmth. The dark green leaves of the tree fell down one by one, leaving a scribbly pattern on the pale green floor. A few stray leaves managed to get caught in the web of snow white and flame orange fur that had been resting in the shade of the tree.

Baekhyun lifted his head up just as the leaf touch his sensitive ears. His ears pricked thinking there was someone there. He scanned the clearing of the forest until he was satisfied with the lack of movement, finally laying his head back down. Chanyeol gave him a lazily on the nose and playfully nudged him on his cheek. He then settled his head on top of Baekhyun resting his eyes from the long day.

 

Chanyeol breathed in the familiar scent of the white wolf and basked in the comfort of the latter. The feeling of being a lone wolf stopped haunting him the moment he had set eyes on Baekhyun. He didn’t know what it was but when he looked at Baekhyun, all he thought of was home. The feeling of having a home and belonging to someone was the greatest feeling in the world to him.

 

Different from Chanyeol, Baekhyun saw his own soul within Chanyeol’s eyes. Even though he saw him for the first time two years ago, it felt like he had known him forever. The other half he had been searching for was in the form of a flame orange wolf, whose lemon eyes one reflected his own.

 

They slept next to each other silently, and drunk in the sounds of the forest and the soft heartbeat of the other.

 

It was only until nightfall did the calls of their pack wake them and forced them to return for the night. They tightly flanked each other until the Chanyeol shoved Baekhyun to one side and bolted off into the trees.

 

“Not fair!” Baekhyun yelled after him, pouting and automatically breaking into a sprint after his mate.

 

14 months and 7 days later…

 

The snow fell from the sky, one flake at a time. The cold bit at Baekhyun even through his inches thick fur. The beautiful snowflakes clawed at his face one by one, the wind cutting cruelly at his face. He trudged through the field of snow silently, softly, laying low close to the ground. For once he was glad that his fur was white. The dead sun painted the canvas of white, black. It painted the barren tree even blacker.  He pressed himself even lower, ignoring the cold, when he heard fast approaching footsteps.

 

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol growled into the emptiness of the meadow, “You come back here now!” He scoured the sea of black snow, squinting at the slightest of movements. The wind blowing in all directions created chaos of confusion to Chanyeol’s nose.

 

“Don’t think I won’t find you,” He yelled, almost howling.

 

Baekhyun trembled in his mound of snow, the voice that had once been sweet gradually turned cold in favour to the rule of the pack.  He shook in pure fear, recounting the countless times he had been thrown against the wall, subjected to the humiliation and the constant verbal abuse that hacked away at his spirit.  He closed his eyes and held his breath, hoping that Chanyeol would just leave. He was done with being his toy.

 

“Just wait till you get home Byun Baekhyun” Chanyeol warned loudly, “he’s got it coming,” he whispered to himself, knowing that his mate would be back in the morning.

 

Already telepathically predicting Chanyeol’s thoughts,“not this time” was his silent reply.

 

Chanyeol crept closer only to be rejected once again. Luhan stepped in front of his pack mate. Stopping Chanyeol in his tracks. The alpha glared down at the orange wolf, even though there was size difference, the difference in strength was unquestionably in Luhan’s favour. Both Luhan and D.O barred the way towards Baekhyun, who by now was a few metres away from the three and on the edge of the forest.

 

Baekhyun looked away from the pleading yellow eyes and turned his back on his former mate.

 

“Can we please go?” Baekhyun said in a small voice.

 

Luhan glared threateningly at Chanyeol before calling off D.O who was already baring his teeth at the taller wolf, obviously not liking what his presence was doing to Baekhyun.

 

“Wai-“

 

D.O turned in a flash and snarled. Chanyeol a little taken back, flattening his ears and cowering on the spot.

 

“D.O”

 

Luhan’s call was quick and short.

 

It sent D.O back towards them and with that they disappeared as quick as they came.

 

Chanyeol stood there speechless again, he had half the mind to run after them. But he knew the silver and grey wolf would probably not let him near Baekhyun. He sat there and howled, he howled for his mate from all those years ago, he howled for the mistakes he made, and he howled from the home he lost on that snowy night.

 

 


 

 

Baekhyun slowed from his sprint, allowing Luhan and D.O to finally catch up with him. Luhan snuggled up next to him, helping him relax. Baekhyun felt the calmness and the feeling of security roll of Luhan, wrapping himself up in the warmth.

 

D.O caught Luhan’s gaze and shared and unspoken worry for the white wolf. Luhan was also preoccupied with the thought that they might be caught after letting the orange wolf go. He hoped that it would be a mistake that he wasn’t going to regret. But looking at Baekhyun, who was so shaken up in the orange wolf’s presence, he knew he would have made the same decision again.

Even if it cost them.

 

Baekhyun continued to sandwich himself between Luhan and D.O, finding comfort in their company.

 

All three of their ears pricked at the heart wrenching cries in the night. Baekhyun restrained himself from replying. The howls seemed to call him, the him that had been lost so many years ago, yearning to be let out and returned to it’s rightful owner.

 

Baekhyun shook the feeling off. He belonged to Luhan now, belonged to the pack. Tao and Sehun needed him, they needed him to be strong. Convincing himself of the fact, he supressed the resurfaced feelings once again. Replaced by the newfound love he had for his current pack. He remembered the night that he trudged in the colourless snow, the night he laid down by himself in the cold of the night, trying to find solace in the fact that he was free. But being free felt lonely and Baekhyun was confused as to which one he wanted. He had slept the whole night alone, alone in an unknown land, alone with his thoughts and alone facing the world.

 

It was that morning he woke up, a blanket of snow had found a home on top of him, and he felt a warm ball of fur wrapped up next to him. A ball that had kept him company long after he lost consciousness. The black and red ball dotted with white freckles suddenly moved, shaking off the morning snow. He opened his eyes and stared straight at Baekhyun. Innocence emitted from the blue and green eyes with a hint of mischief that played in his irises.

 

Baekhyun smiled.

 

He thought he would never find another place to call home again.

But he had found it within a night.

In a small wolf that saved him from the black night that he thought would never end. 

 


Introducing Baekyeol for all those shippers out there ^0^

Sorry of the late update 

I'm a horrible human being T-T

I've been trying to increase the length of my chapters with each update 

I hope you like the story so far ~~ :D

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH to everyone that upvoted, subscribed and commented 

Please continue to love this story and comment and subscrible pleaseeee

 

P.S would anyone like a summary on Kris' pack like the one I did in the foreword for Luhan's? 

Thank you~

 

exotichime ~