That's why...

Cerulean

Chapter 4: That's Why…


"Eh? They tried to hook you up with an unknown man?" Miku asked, pausing for a moment to finish wiping after eating a slice of well-cooked chicken katsu that was practically oozing with sauce. "My goodness! Rin, if I knew that I would've high-tailed it to your high-school regardless of my location!" The teal-haired beauty exclaimed her face skeptical, wondering if she should believe or deny the information I gave her of my high school past.

I chuckled, figuring that, yes, regardless of her location Miku would probably beg, if not drive the car herself despite being less than the legal age, for her parents to drive her to me if put in that case. "Yes, I know. That's why you're one of my best friends."

Satisfied with herself, Miku crossed her arms in triumph. "Very good answer, Rin," Her arm unfolded out of the crossed position and pointed at the ceiling, her teal eyes looking in the same direction with her head tilted opposing the arm. Seeing it all in action, Miku seemed to have remembered something. "Oh? Do you remember his name?"

I blinked, avoiding her gaze as if it was a wild fire. Her eyes left burning heat as she analyzed my change in attitude, no doubt finding something weird and not bothering to mask her expression of confusion when realizing it. Ten seconds and I debated whether to tell her about my previous situation of why I didn't kiss that man, the reason not only that he was a stranger. No, there was another reason, and I did not think Miku would understand. Straightening up, I refused to tell her. "Erm, well, he was a stranger, and I don't really remember any of the details."

After a long pause complete with narrowed eyes, Miku sighed dejectedly as Sora arrived to refill our teacups. "Would you ladies like anything else for the afternoon?" He said smoothly, oblivious to the uneasy atmosphere surrounding the table.

The smile on Miku's face returned yet seemed a little forced but nonetheless grateful. "Ah, Sora-kun I think I'll take the bill now, thank you." Her eyes flickered towards me, "It'll be on me."

I began to protest yet formed no words. It was useless to object Hatsune Miku when she's set on something, or at least announced it. I guess I can be happy that she informed me beforehand.

The bill arrived rather quickly despite the large mass of waiters bounding around and dodging the other so serve the last of the lunch rush. Miku paid for the lunch with a ten-thousand yen bill and was even generous enough to tell them to keep the change. It also seemed that Sora had figured out the extent of Miku's stubbornness, and left, bemused, with the crumpled bill in his hands. I stared at Miku in bewilderment. "When did you get all that money?"

Tossing a pigtail over her shoulder, Miku shot a sweet smile towards my direction while quickening her pace arriving outside the doors and into the blazing sun. "Oh, just work, you know?" She said with a cute ring that struck me as ominous. It appears as if she was saying, "If you want to keep secrets, then I'll do so as well."


It took us about fifteen minutes walking from Kasane to the Shibuya shopping district. Miku's wedges swapped out multiple times for attractive flats of the same hue to prevent any scarring blisters. I was amazed at how prepared she was, but shook off the feeling when arriving at the intersection. "So, where shall we go?"

Miku thought for a bit, pressing a thin finger at her pigmented lips as a gesture of deep thought. "Well, I do want to try out a few clothes…Ah! Let's go to Koen Dori, I want to get some of the trendy clothes there."

Since I had no complaints, I walked silently alongside Miku towards the large shopping district and neglected to realize the high level of stuffiness around that area. The air was sticky with humidity, even though the towering buildings casted overwhelming shadows, little did it cool anyone down. People fidgeted and squirmed, slowly inching their ways towards the large buildings that, no doubt, had the chilling properties of air conditioning. Miku and I quickly walked towards the doors and entered the white painted store with no problems, that is, until a young high school student walked over, her face occupied with a large smile, leveling her eyes towards Miku's who loomed over the smaller girl.

"A-Are you Hatsune Miku?" She asked, her feet pushing her up and down, causing her loose lavender pigtails to bob with the motion. I could tell she was quite excited to see Miku, and wondered if she was an acquaintance of hers.

Miku stopped in her tracks as the girl had blocked us from continuing, and surprisingly, Miku gave the girl a beautiful smile. "Yes, I'm Hatsune Miku. Would you like anything?"

The purple-haired girl proceeded to move up and down until her shakes intensified, transforming into small, energized hops. "Ah! Really? May I have an autograph?" She said, rummaging her purse for what I thought would be a pen and paper.

Now, here I am with the most confused expression on my face. If this girl were an associate of Miku, why would she want her signature? Taking action, I left a light hand on Miku's shoulder, gently preventing her from moving forward. I carefully whispered into her ear, "Do you know this girl?"

Shrugging my hand off, Miku advanced with a, "Huh? No," And placed a hand behind the small phone case, where I was astonished to see my predictions so off, and signed in smooth, flowing her name with a deep purple Sharpie.

The younger girl stooped down as a thank you and rushed back to her cluster friends, delighted that she got a signature as Miku waved with a flutter of fingers, and resumed to strolling into the building as if giving out her autograph was normal. I followed suit after a moment to process the simple and casual actions of Miku, and soon the reason to why she was so relaxed. Rushing forward to, again, block Miku's path a bit I asked, "Miku, where do you work?"

She sighed and began messing around with a lock of bright turquoise, obviously trying to find ways to escape the interrogation yet must've came up with nothing and decided to answer my question honestly. "I…" She bit her lip, "I'll tell you after I try on some clothes, is that all right?"

Not having anything else to say, I nodded after a brief pause, walking through the open wall of one of the more expensive shops in the area that Miku had decided to enter. If she could afford something from this luxurious store, then something must be different. I watched with a composed expression as Miku plucked out a few unsurprisingly fashionable articles of clothing and rushed towards the changing rooms at the far corner of the shopping area. I tagged along behind her, slowly making my way to the area that was the most uncomfortable to me. The pale sign read, "Lingerie/Underwear," in bold navy letters hanging above me as I stood, discomfited, aimlessly walking around the section.

My awkward stare developed into an intense glare as I gawked at how immodest the simple design of underwear had become. Holding up a few of the selections from the basket of lingerie, I silently retched as one of the options of clothing, if it could even be called clothing as it rarely covered much of anything, I had so gingerly pinched out was merely a cluster of colorful strings. Miku, who caught a glimpse of my slow demise after leaving the changing rooms, calmly lifted a brow at my reaction and took a glance at the underwear I came across.

She perked up, "Oh? Rin, I didn't know you were into those types of things too."

Instantaneously, I rejected her observation, stuttering about how I simply came across the basket and decided to browse when I stopped myself from going any further. As Miku casually brushed her hair over her shoulders, I spotted a black lace strap behind her purple cardigan and pursed my lips, refusing to say anymore about the crude examples of underwear the store obtained, worried that I might offend her. "Erm, never mind…" I mumbled, looking away for a moment. "Uh, anyways you said you were going to tell me something."

Miku sighed, a small puff of air blown through the nose while she shouldered her teal satchel. "Yes well…I'm a model."

With those words, Miku began to explain that during the time we were apart, another friend of hers couldn't make a photo shoot for a cover of a magazine who was quite famous, and had given Miku a call, asking to replace her. Miku, who was very close by had arrived at the shooting building with minutes to spare, which was enough time hence attempting persuasion so the crew could allow her to model unofficially. However, due to her looks and natural ability to pose and smile, the photo shoot concluded faster than anticipated, and because of this, a job to work as a model was free for Miku to take. She did, although keeping school in mind; she had apparently convinced her manager to free her schedule for important classes and due to her immense amount of charm, the manger became generous and freed slightly more time than desired. During the school vacations and excluding holidays, she'd work during her free time to gain some extra money, knowing that travelling would make expenses worse and declined any offers including travel. Over the years, Miku obtained great amounts of cash going to the company's own required payments as well as her own wallet, and now since modeling was no less than a chore to her, she enjoyed doing it. Today's just a day to spend some of the accumulated cash during one of her non-vacation related day offs. What would be better than having a relaxing chat with her best friend?

For a while, I wondered why she was hiding that information from me, but shrugged it off, chiding myself since getting Miku to explain her situation was enough. Smiling, I swooped closer to give her a brief hug before turning back to the shopping mall. "Thanks for telling me, Miku." I said purposely removing the honorific.

She sent a dazzling grin back, and strutted out of the store with me after placing the clothes back on their specific racks. We began to move to a different store when Miku grabbed my hand causing me to halt in my tracks. Her eyes low and lidded while her voice soft, she mumbled, "So when are you going to tell me about that high school classmate you can't get out of your head?"


Taking the sidewalk in long strides, Miku and I exited the building with heaps of bags and found ourselves back at the statue of the loyal dog, Hachiko. The bright sun was beginning to reach under the horizon, painting the sky with streaks of yellow and orange and the balmy temperature began to drop. I stopped, placing the thick paper holding the articles of stylish clothing, previously bought at the cheaper yet trendy stores, gently onto the floor and raised my arms in a large yawn, slightly surprised to hear one of the many loud conversations around the area.

"What? You said she was here!" The higher-pitched voice of a male whined behind me.

A deeper, calmer voice scolded the other male, "Yeah, well, if you got here earlier you probably would've seen her."

Loud stomping echoed against the stones and disturbed a good amount of people in the Shibuya district. "Agh! You know I can't get here fast enough!"

I jumped, hearing another male speak, his voice more in between the other two. If those were deep and high, this man was middle-toned. "Ah, but what I really wanted to see was Hatsune Miku."

"Huh?" My middle-school friend yelped, quickly covering with a yip! The three young men probably turned towards Miku after hearing the strange noise she had made, which was a tad more disturbing than the three men were. Because of their lack of conversation, I twisted back to see behind, arms still raised in the middle of a stretch, the appearance of the group of guys causing me to mentally spit take.

"Oh."


A/N Haha finally gettin' somewhere! Anyways, I wanted to point out that Kasane IS NOT REAL (But Koen Dori is). It's a play on a maid café except with Utaus…haha…*sweat drop* Also! I've never been to Japan, I want to, but I haven't. Yet. What I'm trying to say is that the store locations might not be the best or the most accurate, but hey, I'm trying my best here. ^^ Thanks for reading, and please, feel free to comment!