Should've, Would've, Could've

I Hate You, Enemy. Not.

 

When L.joe arrived, he remembered to pick up a small bucket of ice cream for her. Seeing her smile made him happy but he knew it wasn’t a real one.

 

“Ta-da!” he held up the bag with the ice cream and she laughed, wiping her eyes.

 

“Thanks. You know just what to do,” she said and he grabbed her hand, dragging her with him.

 

“You’re still you. Let’s go,” he gave her hand a squeeze and she returned the grip.


 

They both sat down on the couch and L.Joe went in the kitchen to get her a spoon. When he returned, she opened the ice cream and quietly ate it.

 

He chuckled at her and sat beside her.

 

“So, are you okay now?”

 

She nodded without making eye contact and he lifted up her chin so they were looking at each other.

 

“Y-Yah..” she mumbled and he crossed his arms.

 

“Are you really? You know you can talk to me,” he said and she nodded. It was a familiar feeling and deja vu hit her. She shut her eyes closed and waited for the sensation to pass.

 

The boy looked at her worriedly.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Miyeon opened her eyes in a swift and turned to look at L.Joe with a small smile. “Hmm,” she hummed in response, “Don’t worry.”

 

He felt her forehead and pursed his lips to the side. “No fever. Are you sure?” he asked again and she giggle.

 

“I’m sure.”

 

After feeling assured, he then asked her the next question.

 

“Is there something you want to talk about? Why were you crying earlier?”

 

She scooped a spoonful of the vanilla flavor ice cream in and shook her head. “No, I’m fine..It’s just..I don’t want to talk about it,” she finally says and he gave her a look.

 

“Okay, I won’t push it if you don’t want to,” he said and she gave him a comforting smile.

 

“Thank you, Oppa.”

 

L.Joe then bit his lip and exhaled. He wasn’t sure how he was going to tell her or put it in words. He thought about it a lot and now the decision to do it had finally came.

 

“Miyeon, I have something to say,” he said in a serious tone and she looked at him, anticipating on what he had to say next.


 

Daehyun looked at the sky like every other day as he always do and the first thing that he thought about was Miyeon. His heart ached for her and he wanted her to be with him. But he knew she had feelings for someone else already.

 

“If only..” he whispered.

 

A raindrop fell on his forehead and he smiled sadly at the sky. It’s raining but he didn’t bother to go inside. He just feel like sitting there to clear his mind.


 

“I..I like you,” he finally said it, “At least I did. I loved you. Even now..”

 

Miyeon stared at him for a long second as she processed what she had just heard. Her body didn’t move an inch of where she was sitting.

 

“What did you just say?” she asked but but shook her head disapproving of her own question, “No, I meant, what? When? What?”

 

She was still staring at him but her heart broke even more. First it was Jimin, now he’s with Nara and now as in now, her first love is confessing his feelings to her? It was just too much for her to handle right now. Her head was spinning and she was confuse.

 

“Since high school. I mean, actually, for almost the last eight years.”

 

She didn’t want to speak but she did anyway, even if she felt like something was stuck in .

 

“And why are you just telling me now? Why didn’t you tell me before?” she asked him, a thousand questions filled her head that she wanted to ask but stopped herself from doing so.

 

He gave her a sorry look and all he could say was, “I’m sorry..I wanted to, but I was waiting for you to do it first. I was waiting..That day when we were leaving the library, I asked you and you said nothing so I stopped myself,” he tried explaining but she didn’t want to hear any more. She had stopped listening.

 

“I..I have to go. I’ll see you later,” she stood up in a hurry but he stopped her.

 

“Not in this rain. I’ll take you home. Just listen to me, please,” he begged, holding her hands in his and she looked at him in desperation.

 

“Why should I? All these years I thought you felt the opposite. I thought I-” she stopped as her tears started spilling out of her eyes.

 

“Just why!?”

 

The boy pulled her into a hug and held her close to him. Nothing in the world mattered but her. He could feel her breath getting heavier and he walked her into the kitchen for a drink.

 

She drank it and sat it down on the chair still waiting for his answers. The look on his face was unreadable and it showed frustration.

 

L.Joe sighed and decided to tell her and when he finished, she was just staring at him in disbelief. How could he after all these years of waiting? Her heart was broken into pieces and she didn’t know what else to do but cry her eyes out.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me? Why did you lie that day?”

 

It was his turn to ask her and she wiped her tears away before telling.

 

“I didn’t confess because I didn’t want our relationship to be awkward. You were my only friend. No one wanted to be friends with me because of you. You’re popular, good-looking, and I was just..A thorn on your side..” she told him and he scoffed.

 

“How could you think that?”

 

She glared at him.

 

“Students bullied me for being friends with you. What do you expect? Being hurt was better than being hated on. And if I were to be with you, it would’ve been worse.”

 

He knew she was right but he still couldn’t get passed the fact that she chose being hurt then hate.

 

“I would’ve still protected you. I would’ve been there for you,” he said, throwing it at her and she laughed.

 

“You should’ve told me. Either I made the decision to be with you or not, you’re still a coward! It was a coward move for you to wait for me to make a move instead. It wasn’t right and you should’ve told me!” she shouted and she could feel her blood boiling from the anger inside of her.

 

That’s when he lost it.

 

“I admit, it was a jerk move, but you should’ve been honest with me from the beginning when I asked you! I read your diary that day and I knew about your feelings but I-”

 

Miyeon’s eyes widened and the tears came again as she stared at him in disbelief. Shocked at his sudden confession.

 

He stopped himself and the look on her face pained him even more at how she was looking at him. It was like he had just killed someone.

 

“You what?”

 

Her voice was louder than before.

 

He closed his eyes and took a breath.

 

“I..I read your diary..I know I shouldn’t have but-”

 

She cut him off.

 

“But what? But you did it anyway? Why didn’t you tell me? You knew how I felt and even after that, I got you and Sohyun together! What do you think it made me feel, huh? I felt like because I was crying over you and everything! I hated how you two were always together, how she was all up on you and just everything! How could you, Byunghun!” she was screaming at him now and the thought of how he knew about her feelings all those last two years made her hurt even more. Especially with Sohyun in it now.

 

L.Joe grabbed her hand and held it but she pulled away from him. She didn’t want to see him or talk to him anymore. She just wanted to run away and disappear from the world.

 

“I’m sorry, please forgive me..” he said and she let her tears fall.

 

“I forgive you, but not the fact that you knew and didn’t do anything about it. I just..I need some time,” she said but barely a whisper and he held her in his arms once more.

 

“I’m so sorry, Miyeon-ah..I love you and I mean it. I didn’t want you to be hurt anymore so I decided to come clean. I’m sorry,” he apologized and tightened his grip around her.

 

She wailed and gripped his shirt tightly. Her heart felt like it was going to burst any second now as she can’t handle any more of the pain coming from two boys. One whom she once loved and the other whom she’s in love with.

 

“You should’ve told me. Everything would’ve been different..I wouldn’t have had to suffer the pain and guilt for the last two years of my life..I missed you. I loved you..We could’ve been together..” she whispered and he held her head against his chest, her back gently.

 

“I know. And I regret it every second of my life,” he whispered to her and she let her body go limp.


 

Jimin sighed in frustration as he looked at the clock for the a hundredth time already and it was getting late but Miyeon hasn’t been home yet.

 

“Aish. Where is she?” he asked himself and when he realized what he was doing, he hit himself on the forehead.

 

“What are you doing? Don’t tell me I’m waiting for her,” he mumbled and scoffed to himself as he went up to his room.

 

Don’t be ridiculous, he thought and covered himself with his cover as he laid down on bed.