Chapter 46

Remind Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is a continuation of Chapter 45 (:

 

 

Chapter 46

 

 

Finally the bell rang announcing the arrival of lunch time, and I basically rushed slyly through the crowded hallway. I wasn’t hungry, I was just too anxious to see him, so I didn’t feel the hunger overcome me like usual. My stomach made flips just by thinking about seeing him, but that became a very pleasant feeling.

I went to the line and waited for my turn to order. After I finally had my food, I eyed carefully the filled up cafeteria and spotted Sunhwa’s red hair. If she was there, Daehyun was there as well, and I was just another step closer to finding Youngjae.

 

I quickly made my way to them, finding Daehyun just as I expected, but the person I was longing to find was nowhere to be seen which made me a little sad. But he’d have to arrive any moment, right?

 

“Hey guys, is this seat taken?” –I placed my tray on the table before sitting down.

Sunhwa’s face brightened up more than usual and she told me to sit down, which I did. Daehyun who had his face practically buried in the mountain of food looked up to me. He swallowed, and smiled.

“What’s up?” –He had a weird grin on his face which I brushed off.

I firstly gave thanks for my food, and before digging in, I replied to his greeting.

“A little stressed, but good.” –I then took a bite of my food which felt so good in my empty stomach. –“Is Youngjae coming? I’ve been looking for him.”

Daehyun again had that weird grin on his lips. “He told me he had to do something before his next period. But he’ll be back later, so don’t worry much about him.” –He did one of his strange, yet adorable, eye smiles and quickly went back to his food.

Sunhwa had her eyes set on me resting her chin in one of her hands; I turned to her when I felt her gentle glare.

“You should mind your food first before worrying over someone else. Alright?” –She just instructed like a caring mother then gave her attention to Daehyun who had a little too much food on . –“Eat slowly! You’re going to choke!”

I couldn’t hold in my chuckle which came out a little too loudly, and earned a glare from Sunhwa so I quickly averted my eyes back to my food minding my own business. But even when I was having fun silently with Sunhwa scolding Daehyun, my mind was elsewhere wondering about a secretive young fellow.

 

--

((Listen to this))

 

Youngjae rushed through the busy streets of the city, with only one objective in mind. He held on to the strap of his empty backpack and hurried along, slyly avoiding crashing into other by passers.

 

He reached the first place, and quickly searched for something that with the knowledge he had acquired from spending time with her, she would love. He admired the box filled with tasty content, and bit his bottom lip in excitement. 

 

After he paid for it and for a little something to eat on the way back, he put it carefully inside his backpack, and with no time to waste, rushed towards the next location. 

 

Once he arrived, he was thankful that the place wasn't frequented much at that time of the day. He entered, and the lady who was leaning in the counter beamed to see the young boy enter. 

 

"What brings you here at this time of the day?" 

 

"I need a small bouquet..."

 

The lady's lips formed into a smile instantly. 

 

"That girl sure is lucky to receive so many flowers from such a handsome young man like yourself." -She took out some scissors and walked towards the roses, which were always his main choice. -"How many do you need?"

 

“As much as they won’t get too messed up until later in the afternoon.”

 

She pursed her lips to his strange request.

 

"I was with her this morning, so now was my only chance to come, a-and I kind of want to surprise her." -He explained as he rubbed his neck and looked away. -"Today... I'm hoping it'll be different."

 

She eyed the flushed boy as she prepared the materials to make the gift with a small grin on her lips.

 

"I think..." -She kept her eyes on the flowers she was now wrapping. -"More boys should be like you Mr. Yoo."

 

She was doing some special touches to the flowers so he could preserve them without getting ruined much, and Youngjae just stared at her intrigued by her words. 

 

The ajjuma held the flowers out to him. 

 

"Patience will take you a long way. Never stop your persistence. A real man doesn't give up for whom he loves, especially when things get rough, he doesn’t give up."

 

He listened to her carefully taking in the advice, took the flowers from her, and put the money on the counter.

 

"Wish you the best today." -She chuckled sweetly.

 

Youngjae couldn't really help but to smile. He nodded to her wishes and thanked her for the amazing work she put into the flowers. He never ceased to be surprised of how she could make such simple things so breathtaking and beautiful. Moreover, if his girl loved the last one he got her, she would surely love these ones. But even more than worrying whether she would like them or not, what her response would be concerned him more. No matter how many times she had said no to him, he would never get used to rejection.

 

But even when he had finally gained the confidence he needed to step out the 'friendzone', he was sure that her response this time would affect him even more than before. As he told her he was really hoping that this time would be different.

 

--

‘Meet me in the fountain after class. :)’

-Jae

 

With a big smile she replied to his short message.  The excitement was enough to make her heart burst out, but she took small breaths to keep her from hyperventilating. She put her books on her locker, and just as he instructed walked towards the location.

 

...

 

Youngjae walked nervously through the corridors towards his locker after all classes and appointments finished. He bit his bottom lip and furrowed his eyebrows, he had gone through the experience times before, but he had never felt it being so serious, and that made him more anxious.

He opened his locker, his eyes welcoming the bright red color of the roses and also the other gift he had bought for her. Tightly he grasped on the objects and closed the locker door getting ready to head out, but not before letting out another deep breath, which seemed to not be working at all.

The phone rang letting him know that he had received a text, and seeing her positive response along with a smiley face somehow made him feel a bit at ease but also motivated. He put his phone back to his pocket and finally started to walk over to the location, rehearsing and repeating the words he wanted to say, and shaking his head when something didn’t seem to sound alright.

He opened the door from the campus that revealed the school grounds, and with a heart almost bursting out of his chest, he observed her in the distance.  As he neared by, he saw her even more clearly, soft hair moving due to the breeze and her back facing him as she stretched her hand into the water.

Youngjae softened his pace so he wouldn’t give himself out. Holding the two gifts with one hand he gently poked on her shoulder softly to get her attention with the other. Her bright skin shone as she turned her face to him, a rather surprised expression fell upon her once she spotted the other objects brought by her companion.

She pushed herself from the concrete structure and faced him.

“W-what’s this?” –She swiftly averted her sight to him.                                                         

He grinned as he watched how nervous she suddenly seemed, a big difference from the other time’s he’s confessed before.

“This… is for you…” –That’s all he could utter as he held the box and the bouquet to her. She took carefully the objects and again moved her eyes to him who had so much more to say.

“____-ah…” –He began; she instantly looked up to him.

“I have tried to remain your friend all this time…

But I can’t be your friend anymore.”

She furrowed her eyebrows as confusion wrote itself in her expression because of his bluntness.

“I know I’ve said this many times before… But I need to say it again to get it off my chest, all I’ve held back throughout all this time…

I like you.

I’ve liked you for all this time, and even when I feel like I can’t keep on waiting, I keep on liking you more… And I don’t think I can stop liking you…”

He stopped when he saw her straight face; he bit on his bottom lip and looked away, just in time to miss the smile that played on her lips. The courage he had held up until now slipped right through his fingers.

“You haven’t given up on that yet?” –She said in a playful tone, which took him aback.

He looked away even more. Again he couldn’t catch her smile

“It’s funny how many times you’ve said it and you’re still embarrassed…” –He kept his eyes away and she added. –“You don’t have to be… Look at me.”

Hesitantly he set his eyes into hers and she put the gifts in the corner of the structure beside her, then took a hold of his two hands.

“Youngjae…” –She paused and looked down to their hands together. –“I like you too…”

“I-I don’t know when or how it happened… But I want to be with you. I’m really happy when we’re together.”

Youngjae was still processing the words, as they sunk in his mind.

“A-are you serious?”

She nodded and pressed tightly her hands with his.

“I am.”

He couldn’t move his eyes from her and resisted the urge to kiss her in the spot. But even so, his smile grew and took her in and embraced her.

“You have no idea how much I’ve wanted to hear those words from you… This is unreal…” –He felt her hands tighten around him and he pushed her a bit ever so slightly to catch a glimpse of her face. –“Remember my promise…?”

She pressed her lips that curved upwards and nodded.

“I’ll keep it… I’ll keep making you happy…”

She looked down, and she blushed and the smile was still present on her lips, he carefully turned her face up by her chin. For what seemed an eternity their eyes were locked on each others.

“I’ve wanted to do this for so long…”

The girl furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her face, without a minute to spare a mere question, he leaned down nearer, and in a matter of seconds she knew what he meant...

But sadly a voice, not coming from the girl interrupted before he could get any closer.

 

 

“Youngjae…?”

He ‘opened’ his eyes, and reality slapped on his shoulder, that reality being Daehyun. Youngjae looked down to his hands where the small bouquet and the other gift were and right before him his closed locker. He turned to Daehyun and breathed out his anxiety.

“You’ve been out of it for a couple of minutes, are you alright?” –Daehyun asked.

“I’m fine, just nervous…” –He paused and took another breath. –“I-I’m really nervous…”

Daeh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter