Chapter 31

Remind Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

    Chapter 31

 

Playing a rhythm in her mind Sarah kept herself entertained. Pressing her pencil hard on a music sheet she softly hummed to the melody. As she waited for the teacher to arrive, instead of doodling like others may usually keep themselves busy, making music was her way of forgetting her surroundings. She may have felt confused when it came to performing a while ago because of other things involved, but she couldn’t deny that music was her passion.

Her little personal bubble was popped when a voice she hated so much spoke up her name in a sweeter tone than usual. Looking up she not only came across the unwanted figure, but also with a small group of other students as support, which not only included his close friends.

Not getting a response from the startled girl, he decided to explain the purpose of the sudden visit to her desk.

“Sarah… We know you passed a hard time not so long ago. So we’ve been thinking…” –Referring to his closest friends. –“…about it. And with a little more help we gathered some money on behalf of the student body for you.”

Sarah was astonished, not because it was unlike him; that was just it, he was surely trying to play innocent in all this. She could easily deny the money if it was just him, but there was a small group of students behind him wearing sympathetic smiles and supporting her.

“What do you say Sarah?” –One of them said as DooJoon held out a small envelope to her.

“We didn’t know how much was it, but we hope this will be enough.”

She was boiling inside, not because of them, but because of DooJoon. She could easily see through that innocent façade he was wearing. Very well he knew that no amount of money could replace the sentimental value of what they were trying to buy off with money. And not only that, she was now being looked down upon a group of people who pitied her ‘situation.’

“You didn’t have to do this…”

She kept her hand in her pencil gripping hard on it and the other in the paper, but she stopped once she felt the paper crumbling.

“Take it Sarah… We really want you to have this. It may not bring your old guitar back, but it’s a gift from all of us who support you. Even if you have a couple of people that want to bring you down, never forget you have us next to you. Always.” –A girl said approaching her from the side.

Sarah looked at her and back at DooJoon for a brief moment.

She chuckled softly and feeling a slight more pressured. And more students came in, and having everyone on her was only causing a scene.

“Just having you say it is enough for me, really!” –She reassured but with no results.

One after one kept speaking up for her to keep their small gift. It wasn’t until she gave in that they all went to their respective seats with a big smile. Sarah kept a tightened smile and let out a strong sigh coming from the deepest part of her lungs.

--

Her finger rose on the tip of the envelope she was yet to open, Sarah leaned on her locker after all the classes finished. Biting her bottom lip she put the envelope away in her bag and wanting to give it all back. She never wanted a new instrument to begin with.  Having all that sympathy was the least she needed and Sarah hated it.

After that uncomfortable and shameful moment all she wanted was to be in the comfort of her own home to spend the evening with her mother. Sarah calmed herself a bit once she felt the breeze of the afternoon caress her skin, although she was previously angry, she didn’t want to let anyone get to her wrong side. Not today…

 

She stopped her tracks immediately just as she arrived to her house. Her eyes rounded and her heart ached once she saw the black slick car, with smoked windows and a very familiar insignia on the door. In an attempt to unfreeze she gave a step back and after that another one until she was able to walk away.

Her mind flooded with memories from her early years when her family was barely complete. I’m happy without you…

Running away and not facing him seemed like the best decision so far, and there was only one person she could run to. In a failed try to suppress her current emotion she picked up her phone and made the phone call.

 

--

 

Just as she arrived to the accorded place she saw her best friend’s father arriving with some bags. She put on the best smile she could and greeted him.

“Sarah! It’s been a while since I’ve seen you around. How’s everything?”

“Very busy but all’s good.”

“Is nice to see you again, you coming over?” –He pointed at the door.

She nodded and followed behind him.

 

Just as the door closed and they were in she was welcomed by the smell of delicious food.

“I’m here and I bring company.” –Mr. Park said and put the bags down.

They walked over to the living room where Youngjae and her friend were. Sarah was taken by surprise by the extra company and gave her friend a quick glance before she got up.

“Youngjae! Nice to see you again son!”

Sarah furrowed her brows slightly upon seeing her friend’s father’s greeting to Youngjae. As far as she was concerned, neither her mother nor father liked him. Sarah felt she has been too busy to know what’s really up in her best friend’s life, so they needed to catch up soon.

Youngjae got up and bowed,and Sarah glanced at her best friend looked with a wide smile at the t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter