Chapter 4

You Can't Control Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I woke up, I didn’t open my eyes to the perfect world that I wanted. Instead, I had to get ready to quit the job that I tried so hard to get and love. I had no energy and I washed my face lazily so I could prepare for what seemed like the end of the world for me. I walked out of the room and found Chin Ho sitting at the dining table staring into space. I gaped and froze upon taking in the sight. “Either the world is ending or I did wake up to the perfect world. You’re awake…and in your uniform.”

He glared at me. “Just take me to school already.” I ran and hugged him, showering him with wet kisses all over his face and forcing him to push me away. “Noona, stop!” He tried to wipe away the remnants of my kisses off of his cheek.

“Then, let’s go!” I grabbed his hand and pulled him outside so I can throw him into the car, afraid that he would change his mind if we wasted another second.

***

“Have fun at school!” I waved from the car and watched him walk through the school gates. Oh, how I missed saying that. I smiled to myself but reality had to hit me when I was the happiest I have ever been. Now off to the hospital.

***

“Here is my letter of resignation.” I reluctantly handed the doctor the envelope. I wanted to pull it back and rip it to shreds so badly.

“You’ve been doing good work here, are you sure?” The doctor peered up at me.

“Yes…I’m sure.” I answered while I felt the total opposite.

Before he could persuade me to rethink my decision and before it would become harder for me to say no, I got up. “I still have one more person to visit before I leave.” I smiled. “Thank you for taking care of me until now.” I bow and turn around to leave.

I walked until I found the familiar door. Halmeoni didn’t have family to visit her and because of the nonexistent support, her illness had steadily worsened. I softly knock on the door. “Good morning, halmeoni!” I walked in and smiled at her.

“Oh! Good morning, Na Ri.” I found her staring at me as I went to sit down. “Where’s your uniform?”

I took her hand into mine. “I’m here to say goodbye…I just quit.”

She squeezed my hand. “Why! Are they bullying you here? Cause they’re all scared of me. If I say something - “

I laughed at her offer. “No, I loved it here. But, something unexpected came up.” Just got involved with gangsters, no big deal. “You have to make sure to get your shots.”

"I don’t want to.” She pouted and folded her arms. “But I will, if you come visit me.” She finally said.

“Of course I will!” I beamed.

She took my hands back into hers. “Promise me you won’t work so hard.”

I shrugged, “It can’t be helped.”

She smacked my shoulder. “You should find yourself a rich husband…like that.” She pointed at the TV screen.

I looked up and my face fell at the video. There he stood, Mr. Bang Yong Guk heading out to his car from his company. He really is everywhere on the news. His face immediately puts me in a bad mood.

“You know, everyone is saying how popular of a bachelor he is.” She nudged me. “Too bad there isn’t a way for you to get close to him.”

I grimaced. “You have no idea halmeoni, the world always works in an unexpected way.” Following my words, I stood up, “Well, I have to go now. Good bye and remember to take care of your health.”

She nodded. “As long as you come visit me.” She gave me a wide smile that showed wrinkles at the corners of her eyes.

***

I sat in my car, still not prepared to part from the hospital’s parking lot. Every time I tried to start the car, my hand would fall from the keys in the ignition. I felt like I was breaking up with it. I used to see it every morning and night but soon, I won’t get to see it anymore. “I’m doing the right thing, right, mom and dad?” I took a deep breath and pulled away. The warehouse set as my next destination.

***

“You’re here.” The same boy opened the door for me.

“Would you rather me not come?” I arched my brow at him.

“Yes.” He bluntly answered.

I scoffed. “Would you mind telling that to Bang for me?” He didn’t respond and my attention turned towards the man in a suit walking up to meet me. “Well, I’m here.” 

“Go check on Zelo for now.”

Already bossing me around. But, I was confused. “Who’s ‘Zelo’?” But he didn’t answer and walked away. Just mere seconds and I was already annoyed by his attitude. I followed him into a small room and found Jun Hong on a thin futon on the floor. “Don’t tell me you left him here…all night.” I looked up at Bang. For a second, I caught a glimpse of a worried expression on his face.

“Just last night, we didn’t want to risk his stitches to open.” He pause. “After you check on him, we can leave.”

I checked the boy's pulse and it seemed to have gone back to normal. His color came back, so his complexion looked better. He slowly opened his eyes and groaned. “Hi there, how are you feeling?” I softly asked. Knowing what sort of reaction he would have, I immediately placed my hand on his chest when I saw his eyes widen. Here it comes. Jun Hong went to sit up but stayed down due to my hand on his chest. “Not so fast.” I glanced down at him.

“Hyung, what hap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter