This Castle of Vampires

Let Me Keep You

Subscribe | Upvote | Comment


 

 

This Castle of Vampires

Considering that Kyungsoo had yet to clean up after weeks of being imprisoned alone in an inhospitable underwater prison cell, Jongin had urged his little one to take a bath. Kyungsoo had complied, but only under the condition that Jongin had to wash him.

Jongin was pretty sure Kyungsoo had dutiful servants who were assigned to properly bathe their young master on a regular basis, but that was going to have to change now that he was around. He would definitely put up a fight if anyone claimed that they were duty-bound to provide assistance or care for the young, owl-eyed boy. No way. Kyungsoo needed him and only him.

Yes, aside from him, no one deserved the divine privilege to witness this beautiful creature with their own eyes. Especially if that creature was in a state of undress.

It had been as if the two of them were back at the apartment. Jongin had taken care of everything for his precious mate—filling up the bathtub with water set at the perfect temperature, squirting in an insane amount of soap to amass a mountain of bubbles, and modestly diverting his gaze as Kyungsoo removed his clothes and stepped into the tub.

First, Jongin had washed Kyungsoo’s silky raven hair with shampoo and conditioner, being thorough as he lathered and rinsed those straight tresses. Then, with a loofah equipped in his hand, the former human had gently scrubbed Kyungsoo’s fine, snowy skin, getting rid of the grim and dust that had accumulated since then. Afterward, all the water had been drained and then refilled when Kyungsoo said he wanted to soak for a while. The child had sat there relaxing in the mildly steaming tub, his eyes closed and a neatly folded compress resting atop his forehead. As suggested by the vampire child, Jongin had excused himself momentarily from the exquisitely large bathroom to pick out new clothes for the former to wear. Having entered the impressive and spacious walk-in closet, he had searched through the countless drawers and hangers for the right articles of clothing. It’d been about seven minutes later when he had returned to the bathroom with his selection of garments for Kyungsoo. The petite vampire had already gotten out of the bathtub by then, a fluffy white towel wrapped around his dripping wet form. Jongin had proceeded to rub his little one dry with the towel and then, once again, had glanced elsewhere while the child had dressed. When given the okay, Jongin had faced Kyungsoo to see the other finely adorned in a beige cardigan sweater over an emerald button-up shirt and a navy pair of chinos.

“Everyone was outside in the main chamber,” Jongin informed his beloved as they padded into the bedroom from the bathroom, their hands clasped together and fingers interlocked. “I think they’re still out there, waiting for you mostly.”

“Baekkie and Channie?” Kyungsoo asked, his nose twitching as he tried to confirm their scents.

Hearing that second person’s name in the form of a friendly and affectionate nickname made Jongin scowl. “Yeah,” he grumbled. “And your brother, Sehun, and your family guards, Jongdae and Minseok.”

Kyungsoo didn’t appear too pleased to know that his rascal of a younger brother and his mother’s snarky childhood friend were around, but his doe eyes did sparkle happily at the mention of the impish Minseok. “Okay, let’s go see them.”

There was a gasp of delight when Kyungsoo swept open his bedroom door and skipped into the commodious sitting room. “Soo! You’re here!” Baekhyun sang joyfully, springing to his feet and rushing over to meet his dear cousin halfway, the two of them giving each other a tight, happy hug. Kyungsoo had separated his hand from Jongin’s when he had raced over to his cousin, so the ruby-eyed male quietly stuffed his hands into his pant pockets. His gaze was ever so vigilant on his little one.

“It’s nice to see your face again,” Chanyeol remarked as he came up from behind his skinny mate to lightly ruffle Kyungsoo’s hair. The owl-eyed vampire squawked indignantly out of reflex when his hair was messed up, but he was wearing a genial smile. “Felt like years when you were gone.”

“Yeah!” Minseok chirped in agreement where he was seated comfortably on the couch. The chubby-cheeked guard playfully kicked his feet as if he was on a playground swing. “We really miss you when you’re not around, Young Master! So try not to stir up trouble again, you hear?”

Kyungsoo toed the tiled floor guilty, his plump lips jutted out into a sulky pout. “I’m sorry,” he apologized genuinely. “I understand.”

Jongdae, who was sitting slouched beside his cheery mate, cocked a brow at the irony he was hearing. He lightly cuffed the back of his mate’s head and blandly criticized, “You have no right to chide him, or have you forgotten who the real troublemaker around here is, hm?”

Minseok shrugged innocently, ignoring the pointed look pinned straight at him. “You mean Sehunnie?”

There was another hit to a head that was soon followed up by a yelping “hey!”

Baekhyun gingerly touched his younger cousin’s apple white cheeks with his thin, feminine fingers, searching for any signs of amiss. “Are you sure you’re alright, Soo? Are you still tired? Woozy? Hungry, perhaps?” he prodded, overly fretful.

Kyungsoo patted the brunet’s inspecting hands reassuringly. “I’m perfectly fine, Baekkie,” he said, stressing his point by staring straight into a pair of cinnamon orbs. “Jonginnie took care of me.”

“Then let’s play!” ordered the childish ring of Sehun’s voice. Everyone glanced over to the youngest vampire-born who was sitting on the rug amidst the scattered mess of his playthings—of puzzles, yo-yos, spinning tops, wind-up models, and race cars. A grumpy, impatient pout was heavy on the boy’s lips, his dark eyes flashing with dissatisfaction. “I’m bored!” Sehun whined, slapping the rug-covered floor. “Big Brother and I can’t go out, so we have to play in here!”

“That must drive Sehunnie crazy,” Minseok stage-whispered to his mate. “Not being able to run outside.”

Shooting an analytical look between Kyungsoo, who appeared sullen, and Sehun, who was eagerly gesturing for Jongin, Jongdae smirked in amusement and amended, “Hmm, not just Little Sehun, I’m afraid.”

Though Sehun had practically commanded for Jongin to join him, the dark-haired newborn did not make a move towards the child until Baekhyun had dragged Kyungsoo over, thus he only followed suit for his beloved. The moment Jongin sat down, Sehun clambered up onto his lap and cozily situated himself there, blissfully reclining against the other’s solid chest. Seeing his mate being stolen by someone who happened to be his bratty kid brother, Kyungsoo gritted his teeth together and nearly growled, part jealous and part possessive, the feeling intensified when Jongin threw him a silent, helpless look past Sehun’s head. Baekhyun, too attuned to his cousin’s moods, squeezed Kyungsoo’s thin arm to warn him of his manners and to also soothe him of his flaring ire.

“Well, you kids play nice with each other, alright?” Jongdae said with a sigh as he stood up grudgingly. He was supposed to meet up with the superior ones soon, to continue discussing safety measures for the castle and also to devise the newborns’ training agenda. It was stodgy, pointless work, as he viewed it, and he was reluctant to deal with both duties, but if he dared to skip out, he was going to get chewed out by his masters and probably be chastised by Yixing. Being nagged at for hours on end, he had concluded long ago, was worse than enduring mind-numbing paperwork and sitting through dull, drawn-out debates.

The ebony-haired guard faced the general direction of both his pupils as he dryly addressed them, “When I drop by again, we’ll head out to begin training. Is that understood?”

Jongin nodded once. “Yes.”

Chanyeol gave the guard a two-finger salute. “Got’cha.”

Rolling his eyes at the different attitudes displayed, Jongdae accepted their replies of consent before breezing out of the spacious living room, evidence of his departure indicated by the echoing click of the door when it was closed.

When will he come back? Jongin thought as he absently helped Sehun in completing a hundred piece puzzle. His gaze was preoccupied as he surveyed the room distractedly, his glinting ruby eyes wandering over to Minseok, who was relaxed on the couch in an advantageous spot that allowed him full view of all his young wards, then to Chanyeol, who was stretched out on his side by his lovely mate, and finally to Kyungsoo, who immediately captured his drifting gaze from across the bit of space that separated them, freeing him from his mindless dawdling and bringing forth a sense of longing and petulance.

Ah, Jongin realized quietly. It’s our bond, the empathy link. Kyungie is relaying his feelings to me. Hmmm... He’s peeved because of his little brother. I’m sorry, love, but I don’t know how to push him away without being too rude. He’s just a kid. A really stubborn one, at that.

A tiny frown drew the corners of Kyungsoo’s pink lips downward upon receiving and discerning his mate’s empathetic message. Then the frown morphed into a cranky pout, and Jongin felt a flash of wounded pride from his little one. A possessive response along the lines of I’ll show Sehunnie not to steal what’s mine rang in Jongin’s soul, making him amend himself: Sehun isn’t the only stubborn one.

Jongin could only hope that in the near future a game of tug-of-war would not ensue—with him as the rope.

 

 

...

 

 

He really did end up as the rope.

First there were glares. Then those glares became smirks. Soon those smirks were provoking faces. Afterward were verbal taunts and jeers and protests. Finally the war escalated into a game of tug-of-war, small possessive hands attached to either of his wrists with the intention of never letting go. Jongin was surprised at the strength the two brothers were exerting as they pulled and tugged relentlessly hard, but he managed to nail himself in place by spreading apart his feet and digging his weight in.

Chanyeol was damn lucky that Jongin had no hands to spare or else he would’ve found himself strangled to death as he, the spectator, watched the scene of his fellow newborn being fought over by two little masters. Seriously, rolling around on the floor and guffawing ridiculously loud like that was not necessary; it was stupid and childish for an immortal teenager to behave like that. Jongin hoped that idiot giant laughed to death.

Ignoring his chortling mate behind him, Baekhyun eyed his younger cousins warily, apprehensive that they may suddenly decide to duke it out with their powers at the ferociousness they were going at. He wanted to knock it into their puny heads that the usage of offensive powers was strictly prohibited inside the castle, but he didn’t have an aggressive bone in his body to fuel such a rampant attitude. In a helpless gesture, Baekhyun looked over to Minseok pleadingly, wordlessly begging the older vampire to break the squabble, but the chubby-cheeked guard seemed to be at a loss, his hand over his gaping mouth and bronze eyes unblinking.

So much for him. Our self-proclaimed babysitter is hopeless.

“Let go!” Kyungsoo screamed at his brother, his doe eyes flashing with contempt as he glared furiously past his mate’s body.

Sehun shook his head vehemently and heatedly retorted, “No way! YOU let go!”

“Jonginnie is MINE! You have no right to boss him around!”

“That meanz you get to be wit him all you want! Tho let me play wit him too, meanie Big Brotha!”

“What kind of logic is that?! You’re so stupid, Hunnie!”

“Big Brotha is the one who’z thupid! And rude! And heartleth! You don’t share!”

“I. Don’t. Have. To. Share!”

After pointedly clearing his throat, Jongin spoke up in a weak voice, “Ummm...guys? Don’t I have a say in this?”

“NO!” shouted two voices.

“...Never mind, then.”

Chanyeol’s booming laughter only grew more maniacal. In addition to rolling on the floor, he was madly slapping the pristine surface like a clapping seal. As if giving up on the world, Baekhyun buried his distressed face in his feminine hands and sank to the floor defeatedly. Minseok finally blinked, but that was it; he only blinked.

There was a click when the door opened. Someone swiftly entered the grand living room, only to abruptly skid to a halt at the raucous scene before him. An unimpressed expression sculpted his chiseled features. He seemed almost unsure whether or not he should approach the war zone.

“I heard the young masters arguing from afar, but I would have never imagined it’d be something as pitiful as this.”

Jongin had to twist his neck in order to glance at Jongdae over his shoulder; his arms were stretched out horizontally by the two munchkins still attempting to rip him in half. “By pitiful, do you mean me?”

“I’m afraid so,” Jongdae drawled silkily, wearing a subtle frown of exasperation as he approached the others. He clucked his tongue disapprovingly at Chanyeol, who was sprawled out in an undignified manner on the floor, and scrunched a brow of confusion at Baekhyun and Minseok’s frozen expressions of absolute hopelessness. Just to test to see if they were still animate or not, he harshly pinched his mate’s round cheek, earning him a peeved squawk when the other finally snapped back into reality. Then he repeatedly poked Baekhyun behind the neck until the younger vampire whined and squirmed away from the jabs.

“Good, you two are still functional,” Jongdae commented dryly as the two got their bearings together and stood up. He pointed at Chanyeol, Jongin, Kyungsoo, and Sehun, then announced, “Brats, come with me for training. Young masters, go find your mother for your own training.”

Chanyeol sprang up to his feet excitedly, his rusty maroon eyes alit with fervor. “Finally!” he exclaimed, throwing his arms up as if in celebration.

Sehun pouted broadly. His grip on Jongin’s wrist did not loosen. “But...” he whimpered, trying to dissuade the enforcer of authority. “I wanna thay wit Jongie...” His lips quavered in despair, and he ignored how his older brother was radiating smugness.

“Forgive me, Young Master, but these are your father’s orders, not mine,” Jongdae said with a slight, apologetic bow of his head. He traded a meaningful glance with his mate, who understood the silent instruction. Minseok bounced over to Sehun and gently extracted his hold on Jongin to intertwine his fingers with the child’s instead. “Come on, Sehunnie,” urged the bronze-haired vampire, his buttery voice light and encouraging. “Let’s not keep your mother waiting, hm?” He cast a look at Kyungsoo. “You too, Soo.”

Kyungsoo dispelled a huffy sigh of resignation. “Yes, yes.” While raising himself up onto his tippy-toes, he tugged on his mate’s captive wrist, and Jongin obediently hunched down to receive a sweet peck on his lips.

“See you later,” whispered the raven-haired vampire.

The newborn rumbled a low sound of contentment and murmured back, “See you.”

Minseok extended out his free hand for Kyungsoo to take, which the youngling did accept after reluctantly separating himself from his mate, and the chubby-cheeked guard, with both of his young masters in tow, ushered the two children out of the room, not allowing himself to be succumbed by puppy-pleading eyes and trembling lips that rocked his heart with pity. Cuteness was a reasonable weakness, after all. Not one to be horrifically ashamed of. After a scant moment of hesitation, Baekhyun skipped over to his mate’s side, gave the tall male a stern stare and then a farewell squeeze on the arm before he flitted out the room, no doubt going to join his cousins for their training.

Everyone else gone, Jongdae snapped his fingers, demanding to be listened to without complaint. “Alright, we’re heading outside the castle’s grounds. Let’s go.”

Jongin twisted his wrists, testing them for kinks after the bruise-worthy treatment they were subjected to earlier. “Yes, sir,” he said, softly and obediently.

The corner of Chanyeol’s lips had an arrogant curve to it. He snorted, “Whatever you say, Teacher.”

Jongdae sighed, already wishing that these newborns were no longer his responsibilities to babysit. “Follow me, then.”

Quicker than a blink, the head guard and his two charges deserted the room.

 

 

...

 

 

For the first time since his arrival to the castle, Jongin was allowed outside.

Instead of walking out the front doors and through the giant gates, Jongdae, with his centuries worth of knowledge of the castle’s inner and outer layout, led him and Chanyeol down to the underground levels where they spent less than eight minutes at top speed navigating through the dark, silent halls and dusty staircases like passing ghosts, barely leaving a wisp of a breeze behind. Given no time to evaluate his surroundings, Jongin gave up the attempt of memorizing the direction in which he was going. Besides, a castle had countless routes—mostly for escape reasons—that led outside, so there was a chance that Jongdae wouldn’t be using the same route twice in a row if he was deliberately showing his charges the access to freedom.

As of now, Jongin trailed closely behind Jongdae, with Chanyeol a pace or so behind him, in a long, narrow tunnel that was unlit and smelled moldy. The tunnel must’ve been far beneath the earth, making it difficult to locate and also seal off.

“Ah, here’s the exit,” murmured the sleek voice of Jongdae in the stifling darkness. Jongin and Chanyeol wordlessly halted when their mentor did. Blocking the passageway outside was a solid stone slab, discolored from filth and age. The outline of the door could be faintly seen, mold and lichen growing along its path.

“Let’s hurry and get out of here already,” complained Chanyeol, his youthful face screwed together in revulsion at the tunnel’s dirty odor.

Not saying anything, Jongdae reached out, letting his fingers trace the tunnel’s right wall as he searched for something. His wandering hand stopped when he felt a particular protrusion in the wall. He grasped the edges of the protruding piece, jammed it inward, and then slid it over to the left.

That did the trick. The stone slab copied the movements of the switch: heaving inward with a mighty groan and then sluggishly shifting leftward. Crumbly particles fell from above the opening, making it obvious that this portal wasn’t often used. A gusty draft expelled from the tunnel, somewhat getting rid of the grimy, musty air that’d been contained inside. Jongdae jerked his chin at the newborns. You two go first.

Being that he was in front, Jongin stepped out of the tunnel before Chanyeol and made the short trek uphill on a slope of brown dirt and sparse undergrowth.

The moon.

Suddenly his feet were nailed in place at the stunning sight of the serene night sky accompanied by the bright moon that had a silvery cast to it. A sharp intake of breath informed him of the fresh air and surrounding vegetation that tasted just as wonderful as the first time when he’d experienced the rural lands.

Kyungsoo had always loved the outdoors, and now Jongin understood and shared that very sentiment.

“Yo, move aside,” said the baritone voice of a certain mood ruiner. Without bothering to look at his fellow e, Jongin quietly huffed and proceeded to move out of the way so that Chanyeol and Jongdae could rise from the pit-like area that was connected to the hidden portal, which had been closed out of precaution. The eldest vampire critically surveyed the area in a single, efficient sweep and experimentally sniffed the air. Deeming the area safe and unoccupied of souls other than themselves, he nodded to himself and said aloud, “Alright, boys. There’s a nice clearing not far from here. We’ll train there for today.”

Chanyeol cocked a questionable brow as Jongdae strode past him to lead the way. “We’re allowed to be out in the open?”

“For now,” was the curt response, then, as an afterthought came “Depends on your behaviors.”

Jongin squinted a loaded look at his former friend. “Yeah, our behaviors.”

His warning was given a mocking retort: “I’m always on my best behavior.”

Liar. Mindfully biting back the accusation, the ruby-eyed newborn obediently followed Jongdae’s tracks to the clearing. The thicket of forestry was incredibly dense, the emerald sea a shadowy border around them. The moon’s brilliant shine illuminated the open space with clarity, so night vision wasn’t needed. A hoot from an owl or the hasty scuttling of insects could be occasionally heard, but no creature dared to approach the immortal species that idled in the clearing.

“So what does the great general of the almighty superior ones want us to do?” Chanyeol asked loftily with a sarcastic undertone as he folded his lanky arms across his broad chest, conveying a sense of ease and arrogance.

Rolling his eyes, Jongdae shifted his weight onto one foot, slouching while he stood. “Nothing too drastic today, although I know Master Yifan wanted me to adopt his way of disciplining you, Park Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol flinched violently at that unmistakable reminder for respect, one that promised future suffering if he didn’t shove himself back into obedience. Even with his impressively potent Gift over lightning, Jongdae was hardly a dangerous challenge, as Chanyeol liked to view him. But au contraire, his father-in-law, the godly Wu Yifan, was the epitome of all of his nightmares and phobias combined. His very name caused Chanyeol to quake in bone-chilling terror, and Jongdae craftily utilized that to his advantage. After all, without Baekhyun around, Jongdae needed something as leverage to make the giant of a vampire heel. Praises and treats were a waste for such an undeserving brat, but threats and injuries were gladly welcomed.

Jongin snickered gleefully at the fright that plainly contorted his old best friend’s face. Chanyeol looked like a hamster who ate a particularly bad nut. “So your mate’s father was the one who previously trained you? I wish I could’ve seen that.”

“It was an amusing spectacle,” Jongdae quipped snidely as he cupped his narrow chin in faux contemplation. “Worthy of five stars as humans would say.”

“Hey!” protested the curly-haired vampire, his booming voice extra loud in indignation. “This is verbal abuse!”

“Well, that isn’t new,” Jongdae snorted, a pinch of sadistic humor coated in the curl of his smirk. “Aren’t you already used to it, punk?”

A peeved growl rumbled free, but that was the only sign of grouchiness as Chanyeol hunched his lanky shoulders and turned his nose away in defeat. That instance, Jongin had a new level of respect for Jongdae, the guy who could make Chanyeol shut his trap with words alone.

The tease fest over, Jongdae was placid yet stern again. He flicked a debating finger between the two newborns. “Hmmm... How about the two of you spar for a while so I can get familiarized with your movements and reactions?”

Chanyeol immediately perked up, but Jongin was frowning.

“Sweet!”

“...We are so going to trash this place.”

“Who cares? I wanna beat the crap out of you!” Chanyeol enthused as he spun around to face his ‘opponent,’ cracking his knuckles by his hands.

Jongin rubbed the edge of his forehead in vexation as he objected the suggestion by giving his instructor a dissenting look. “You have got to be kidding me. I thought everyone wanted us to not fight?” He stressed the word not as strongly as possible.

Jongdae’s callous shrug was accompanied by the response of: “True, but pitting the two delinquents I have to train against each other is the fastest way to observe your fighting style. Don’t you think so?”

“I’m gamed!” Chanyeol shouted, putting the hammer down on the conversation with a flying punch Jongin’s way.

“You little ingrate—” Jongin’s sentence was cut off as he hastily reared back to dodge the fist aimed at his face. Another fist quickly followed up after the first one, but Jongin shoved the offending limb away as he sidestepped. A frustrated growl built up in his chest as Chanyeol continued his assault, but all Jongin did was block and evade, trying to distance himself.

“What’s wrong, Jongin? Too afraid to fight?” Chanyeol taunted, pivoting around fast to lash out with a kick, but the dark-haired vampire merely bent backward at the waist with his flexible spine to duck. “What happened to the guy who wanted to pound my face into the floor after seeing me for the first time in years, huh?!”

Jongin grounded his teeth together harshly, bloody eyes flashing with murderous intent.

Kyungie, Chanyeol is dead meat. Tell your cousin I’m sorry, but not sorry.

There was a tickle of befuddlement and concern when his mentally projected message was discerned by his little mate, but Jongin explained nothing as he took the chance to dart forward and land a punch in his sorry-excuse-for-a-cousin-in-law’s stomach.

Chanyeol grunted, sent skidding back at the force, but he wasn’t nerved that Jongin got the first hit. No, in fact, he was spurred on, pumping with vigor and violence. A wild grin stretched across his youthful face, and Chanyeol accelerated in the speed of his movements.

Goddamit. He’s not holding back, Jongin observed as he physically blocked the next kick with crossed arms and almost buckled under pressure. Moments before, Chanyeol’s attacks were like blunt whacks, but now they were more brutal and ferocious, meant to crush a fortified wall into shambles. Did he get stronger while I was unconscious?

There was a blow to the side of his head, thus his pondering was cut short. Rather than wincing, Jongin muttered a curse, hurrying to right himself to avoid falling as he reflexively adjusted his footwork. Stance fixed within scant seconds, he was able to elude Chanyeol’s next swing that swept past his cheek dangerously close by slanting his head sideways. Then, in retaliation for the earlier blow, Jongin grabbed Chanyeol’s shirtfront, reeled him in, and kneed him hard in the gut. Doubling over, the older newborn choked out a sudden cough, and while he was momentarily incapacitated, Jongin released his grip, pivoted on one heel, and rammed his leg behind Chanyeol’s lower calves. Knocked off his feet, Chanyeol’s back roughly met the ground, the once unbroken surface splintering with spidery fissures at the force. Grounding out a disgruntled grunt, Chanyeol quickly flipped over back onto his feet and rushed towards his fellow newborn again, intent on bashing that devilishly handsome face into an unrecognizable pulp.

While those two were busy trying to give each other concussions, Jongdae had boredly reclined against a tree that was rooted far from the brawl, a palm resting on a chiseled cheek as he watched the two newborns exchange jabs and uppercuts. Contrary to his lax posture—one that could mistake him of napping upright—the long-time family guard was fully aware of the roughhousing, a sharp, critical glint in his dark coffee eyes betraying his air of boredom. Minutes upon minutes passed, and Jongdae expelled a soft, collective sigh. Idly, he probed the bond that tied his soul to another—his other half.

Actual, coherent words were difficult to form, so it was typical to rely on emotions to relay a message through. But no matter what, for a vampire, his destined one would be the only one to understand him explicitly, whether or not he was able to express himself verbally or physically.

How’s your training session going? It’s probably better than hanging out with these brats.

Minseok giggled delicately at his lethargic grumpiness. Perhaps not. Soo and Hunnie are bickering really badly. I’m guessing Chanyeol and Jongin are letting their fists do the talking?

You guessed right, my little snowflake. Can you sense my irritation right now? I want to electrocute them for being so unruly and rambunctious.

Jongdae could feel his mate poking at the rubber bands that were his emotions, testing their elasticity and durability.

Just hold on for a few more hours, Minseok said, mollifying his mate’s thinly stretched patience by embracing him with his loving affection. The internal embrace was indeed comforting, doing an effective job of distracting Jongdae from his earlier bout of disgruntlement. Jongdae practically sagged into the crusty slope of the tree like a relaxed feline. He sorely wished that he was in his mate’s lovely presence right now, with his head resting on an inviting lap while cool fingers combed through his semi-mussed locks.

Minseok giggled again, a sensation that was just as bubbly and buttery as the genuine sound.

As long as Minseok was keeping him sane, Jongdae would endure newborn-sitting...up until there’s nothing left of his calm exterior. Those annoying fledglings have better be praying for forgiveness on their knees if he ever descended upon them to deliver judgment, crackling with lightning all the while.

...Or perhaps Master Yifan will descend upon them to deliver punishment instead, Jongdae dryly amended himself as he suddenly detected the mentioned superior one’s presence that seamlessly appeared out of nowhere to sidle up soundlessly behind him. Not even glancing back, the vampire guard knew that his master was leaning casually against the tree, purposely hidden out of sight behind the curve of the thick trunk. Yifan’s low, raspy voice floated over to Jongdae’s sensitive ears, commanding for attention and subservience.

“How are they, Jongdae?”

“Annoying.”

“Aside from that.”

“Pretty fine in hand-in-hand combat,” the subordinate drawled. “However, it’s quite obvious that Jongin, who lacks in practice and solely relies on his newly developed instincts alone, surpasses Chanyeol to several degrees. Furthermore, he’s not as reckless and does well in evading.”

There was an acknowledging hum from the taller vampire. “Has there been any indications of their Gifts manifesting yet?”

“I know you think Chanyeol might have one, but I haven’t discerned anything abnormal. Jongin, on the other hand...” Jongdae trailed off as he contemplated, reviewing over different aspects that he’d noted. “...might have one. Definitely so.”

Yifan nodded once, although his subordinate was unable to see it. “Yes, Joonmyun told me that he believes so, too.”

Tilting his head in his master’s direction, Jongdae asked curiously, “It’s just a conjecture, my lord, but...do you think that perhaps Jongin’s Gift has something to do with the way he moves? That it contributes to his speed and evasiveness?”

Yifan chuckled airily. “It’s like you read my mind, Jongdae. Yes, I’ve been speculating that as well. You see, back when Chanyeol had first instigated a fight with Jongin upon his arrival to our castle, I’d been nearby and had watched the scene unfold. Those instances when Jongin had disappeared...he possessed a different feel in his movements, unlike how we normally cover a span of distance with our speed.”

Jongdae drummed his fingers on his arm thoughtfully and uttered an “ah” of realization. He proceeded to fix his speculative gaze on the topic of their discussion—the restless, cunning blur of lean mass with tousled dark hair, chalky tan skin, and bold ruby eyes. “I’ll keep that piece of information in mind... I have to admit that I’m itching to test Jongin myself.”

A tiny twitch to Yifan’s thin lips indicated a withheld grin. “Kyungsoo’s beloved...is certainly different, isn’t he? I say being a Child of the Night suits him exceptionally well.”

The two older vampires studiously observed the fledglings fighting in abandonment far out in the clearing. When the gangly newborn and the lean one were locked in place—wrists captured, arms crisscrossed, a shoulder lodged, an ankle hooked around—apparently they both had the same idea of getting a hit in as they traded glares and—

Two foreheads brutally connected with a loud SMACK!

Jongdae snorted out a laugh, and Yifan sighed into his palm.

“Break them apart and reprimand them for their outrageous behavior, Jongdae,” the blond vampire ordered as he soundlessly peeled his reclined form away from the tree and turned around. “And make sure to return to the castle on time.”

Jongdae’s grin was wide and wicked. “Oh ho ho ho,” he purred in his rich, sleek voice as he stepped forward menacingly. “With pleasure, my dear master.”

Knowing that his command would be obsequiously done, the superior one vanished from sight, his disappearance only noted by his subordinate. That very subordinate was currently approaching the two newborns who were sprawled out slovenly on the ground and spitting vicious insults at each other. Then their squabble was put to an abrupt halt. Identical cringes of horror reshaped the expressions on Jongin and Chanyeol’s faces as an intimidating figure loomed over them, his body crackling with electricity that promised more than just stinging shocks.

Simply put: they were doomed.

“YOU ANNOYING LITTLE PUNKS!”

 

 

...

 

 

“Nonononono! Sehunnie, please don’t—ACK!”

“Lemme go! Lemme go!”

“Not until you stop being so viole—HEY! NOT IN THE STOMACH! YOU LITTLE BOOGER!

Yixing frowned at his eldest son who was enjoying the spectacle of Minseok and Sehun wrestling around wildly—Minseok was holding the child above the ground by the ankle while Sehun was madly thrashing about, kicking and clawing and screaming. Not far off to the side was Baekhyun, who was once again helpless as he tried to break the squabbling two apart. Around them, the ground was either ruined by Kyungsoo’s Gift, slashed by Sehun’s, or coated with frost by Minseok’s (the usage of his Gift had been unintentional...until a blast of wind had smacked him in the face).

“Kyungsoo, cease with your provoking antics,” chided the copper-haired vampire, referring to moments earlier when the doe-eyed boy had slyly attempted to instigate a fight by picking on his younger brother’s downtrodden feelings.

Dear lord, I never knew Kyungsoo could be so mean yet so sly. Was I ever like this as a youngling? I don’t think so—and thank the heavens for that. Father’s terrifying enough as it is. Incurring his wrath for acting like a brat would’ve made me cry for the mercy of hell.

At the flinty reprimand, Kyungsoo turned around and faced his mother with a wounded, beseeching expression. “But, Mommy, Sehun was being—”

“Hush. I don’t want to hear your excuses,” Yixing interrupted crisply, trying hard not to succumb to the broken look of adorableness his child was unleashing on him. “The two of you need to get along before your atrocious behaviors drive your father insane.”

Kyungsoo winced at that notion. To face his father’s fury a second time... He shuddered violently. Once was enough, he concluded with an inward gulp.

Feeling somewhat satisfied that his son understood the possibility of receiving that kind of punishment if he continued his antagonistic poise, Yixing sighed musically and brought his dainty hands up to clap, instantly grabbing the attention of the other three vampires who were all tangled up in the combined efforts of tussling and grabbing and prying away.

“Seeing how we’re getting nowhere today, this session is over—for now, at least.” Yixing gracefully crossed over to the entangled trio, then gently tugged on the thin wrist of his youngest son, urging him to let go of Minseok’s cheek that was being ruthlessly pinched and stretched wide by tiny fingers.

“Ah, thank you, master,” the guard exhaled with gratification when his captive cheek was reluctantly released; he massaged it mournfully. Sehun grumpily submitted to his mother as he was scooped up and hugged close. He and Kyungsoo didn’t dare lock gazes, their noses turned the other way from one another.

Baekhyun kindly patted down Minseok’s disheveled orange-bronze locks before he asked, “Are we heading back to the castle?”

“Actually...” Yixing quirked a brow at his subordinate who perked up knowingly. “I think you and Kyungsoo should go with Minseok to where your mates are.”

Baekhyun’s pouty pink lips thinned apprehensively. “Now that you mention it...I’m absolutely worried what happened to all of them. Not long ago, I swear Chanyeol was giving me a distress signal of some sort.”

Minseok blinked. “Oh, about that—”

Already guessing what had happened, Yixing waved them off. Whether it was because they were eager to see their mates or fretting over what could’ve occurred when dumping two obnoxious newborns to an intolerable Jongdae, the prompted three rushed off without a second thought.

 

 

...

 

 

Jonginnie!” That incredulous gasp, full of concern and shock, was the sound that’d been wrested from Kyungsoo’s throat, but it was as if he had belted out a wretchedly beautiful song. A song that only had a single word as lyrics.

Considering the circumstances, Kyungsoo’s surprise was well-warranted. He did not expect to drop in and find his beloved mate partially passed out on the blackened, smoky ground with his clothes in tatters and even sizzling if he wasn’t mistaken.

Having surveyed the...damage that shall not be described, Minseok coughed out a something between a chortle and a squeak, his small almond eyes opened wide. “I knew you wouldn’t hold back, but I didn’t think you wouldn’t hold back like this, Jongdae.”

Coming over to his mate with a lazy, carefree gait, Jongdae, clearly quenched of prior fury, hummed a sweet tune before airily saying, “Whatever do you mean, my love?”

“He means that you went overboard!” cried out Baekhyun where he was kneeling by his mate’s unconscious prone form. His hands fluttered about anxiously, checking for a pulse and any signs of serious injuries. It was highly improbable that humans could afflict severe damage to vampires, but it was a different story for vampires hurting other vampires, which was more than less possible and, at times, frequent.

Also hovering fretfully by his beloved, Kyungsoo snapped his head up and glared at the impenitent culprit. The grip he had on Jongin’s neck—at first he’d been searching for a pulse, just like his cousin—was possessive and strained with disbelief. “Don’t. Hurt. My. Mate,” he hissed.

The bristling of defensiveness made Jongdae an interested brow. “My, my, young master,” he drawled. “Such a livid reaction. That’s good as it is expected for mates.”

Minseok lightly touched his beloved’s hand, quietly asking him not to enrage their young master further by his patronizing way of speech. “Let’s hurry and get them home,” he intoned, his tone soft so that the sensitivity of Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s distress wouldn’t be additionally riled and thus sandpapered to a finely frayed sheet.

“Just for the record,” muttered Jongdae as he compliantly (not really) hauled Jongin’s limp form over his shoulder, Kyungsoo’s large, round eyes worriedly pinned on his former human’s handsome, slack face framed by messy dark locks. “Master Yifan let me discipline them.”

 

 

...

 

 

Jongin remembered cowering before a tremendous shock had rendered him useless. When taking into account of his ridiculously brash behavior when he literally butted heads with Chanyeol, he supposed he earned the electrifying punishment. That’s why he had swallowed all of his excuses and apologies before gritting his teeth and bracing himself for the pain.

That experience...was astronomically, indescribably horrible. If Jongin hadn’t passed out afterward, he would’ve broken down into a flood of tears for living through that torture he hadn’t imagined possible.

Jongdae’s a heartless bastard, Jongin groaned groggily, barely able to gather his thoughts together without feeling sick; his bearings of the world was fuzzy and lopsided. I think he fried my brain.

A soft, angelic voice filtered into his half-coherent mind, tone sweet and searching. “Jonginnie, are you awake? Can you hear me?”

A heavy, ragged groan expelled from his lips, and Jongin internally winced, having meant to say something instead of grunting like an unintelligent caveman.

Fortunately, because of their bond, Kyungsoo understood that he was still recovering from his traumatic shock (that was an understatement), so the little vampire didn’t press him to rouse, giving him time to recuperate while tenderly a strong jaw and pronounced cheekbone. The adoring treatment that was equally intimate had the opposite effect intended, though—it only made Jongin even crazier. He wanted to wake up already, to capture the owner of those thin, soft fingers that were currently running through his hair into a tight embrace, but his little one wanted him to rest.

So he rested.

By the time Jongin stirred again, he had lost track of how long he’s been out and vaguely wondered where he was.

“I’m here, Jonginnie,” whispered that same angelic voice from before.

...But everything was irrelevant and unimportant as long as Kyungsoo was around. No longer would Jongin care about time and place anymore.

“Hmmm?” Exposing his ruby-like eyes to the world, the dark-haired fledgling instinctively zeroed his gaze on his little one while absorbing his surroundings to provide a sense of being physically there.

Jongin was in Kyungsoo’s bedroom, tucked in Kyungsoo’s bed, resting on Kyungsoo’s lap.

The former human merely had to pivot his head to peer up at the petite, pale-skinned boy who was pillowing his head with his tiny lap. Lovely owl-like eyes held his gaze, and a dainty white hand reached up to brush aside his sleep-mussed bangs.

“Finally,” sighed the angel in the form of a child, a slight whiny edge polishing his verbalized relief. “I thought we were going to miss it if you didn’t wake up on time.”

“Miss what?” Confusion colored Jongin’s question.

A gummy smile curtsied those heart-shaped lips, stealing the recipient’s breath away. “Go shower and change, then I’ll show you.”

Not wanting to hold up his precious little one any more than he already has, Jongin obeyed. He darted into the bathroom, took a quick shower, and then donned on the set of clothes that Kyungsoo must’ve readily chosen for him beforehand. Hair still partially damp and the shower’s leftover heat sunken into his skin, Jongin reentered the forest-designed bedroom.

Bouncing with restlessness, Kyungsoo hastily grabbed his mate’s hand and tugged on it in a follow me manner. “I want to show you something. Come on.”

Although clueless as to what Kyungsoo could possibly show him in this castle, the dark-haired newborn wordlessly kept up as he was directed out of the cozy bedroom, through the empty hallways, and up a narrow, spiraling staircase.

Where are we going? Definitely not outside. Jongin was puzzled—that is, until he and Kyungsoo reached the top of the staircase and the door located there was pushed open by the latter.

Okay, so maybe they were outside, but not exactly.

They were at the top of one of the castle’s many towers.

“Wow,” he murmured, somewhat dreamily, as he stepped toward the open space but not going any further than the columns. “It’s beautiful.”

He wasn’t lying. It was beautiful indeed. At this unobscured height, Jongin could see the all of the castle’s many roofs, which were the nearest, but farther out, past the fortified wall, was a breathtaking land of emerald that resembled a halted swell of a tsunami by the bumps and dips in elevation.

And beyond that was the horizon, where the crown of the rising sun could be visibly discerned as if the giant star was trying to take a peek of the earth over a ridge.

A sunrise. The sun.

When was the last time Jongin had thought about the sun? The last time he had traveled under its golden rays? The last time he had let its inviting heat warm his bare skin?

But last time, he hadn’t been a vampire. A Pale One. A Child of the Night.

“It won’t hurt you.”

“H-huh?” Jongin glanced down at the child whose delicate fingers were intertwined with his leaner ones.

Kyungsoo inclined his head towards the horizon. “The sun. It won’t burn you or anything,” he chirped matter-of-factly, completely at ease. “You’re strong enough to handle its rays—or at least that’s what Minseokie told me.”

“Is that why you brought me up here?” he asked. “To disprove an old superstition?”

“Yes!” Kyungsoo chimed adorably before he gently yet excitedly urged Jongin forward, out of the shade and towards the ledge. Hesitation made Jongin resist the action at first, but he couldn’t refuse his beloved in the end. Thus, he now stood out in open space as the sun rose to rouse the world from its slumber.

“Here, raise your arm,” insisted the little vampire, and Jongin did as he was told. His arm extended straight up, a sparse beam of sunlight that reached the upper half of the columns behind him encountered his fingertips.

He didn’t burn. He didn’t scream. Nothing hurt. Sunlight was harmless.

Kyungsoo beamed happily. “See? It’s fine.” When Jongin lowered his arm after wondrously touching the light rays, that happy beam became a warm smile as Kyungsoo tenderly cupped his hand and placed an affectionate kiss on his knuckles. “You’re perfectly fine, Jonginnie.”

“Thank you,” he breathed, mesmerized and awestruck by the revelation.

Kyungsoo’s sweet, cherubic face lit up. “Let’s sit here and watch the sun rise!”

If anyone wanted to find them, one would have to travel to the castle’s highest tower. There, the person would stumble upon the heartwarming scene of a small, owl-eyed boy cuddled up against the broad chest of a young, dark-haired man whose back was braced on a column. The two would be clinging to each other contently as they peacefully watched dawn paint the sky with warm, bright colors.

 

 


...Let me just cut to the chase. I had so much freakin' schoolwork piled up every weekend while during the weekdays I instantly pass out or get a huge migraine. Ugh. Just uggggggggggggh. Hate school. Then my stinkin' dad decides to talk to/treat me like I'm the worst thing to ever exist when I practiced driving. I. Was. Ready. To. Hurt. Him. So. Darn. Bad. I felt like I was about to explode last Tuesday because I had a deadline for major grades, but luckily the storm passed and I survived by a hair.

Anyway, because this update was delayed an extra week, I have exhausted my brain, patience, and time (that I should spending on studying) to their max levels. This chapter has 7583 words! Daaaaang. Haven't done that in a while. Don't I deserve some love for my efforts? /puppy dog eyes/

Please bear in mind I might have to go back and proofread it since I don't have time now. So pardon me for mistakes or the choppy second half of the chappie.

Now, I'll probably have a hectic, tiresome schedule after this week, so don't expect any solid news about updates until maybe mid-November. Even then, I have a short break, meaning it's uncertain as to whether or not I'll be motivated to draft something then post it in such a short time.

Wow, I realize I miss being on AFF and indulging myself with K-pop. Waaaaah! Bring those days back! Ahem, sorry, I had to get that out.

Reminder: No plagiarizing! No copying! No stealing! No translating! Tell me immediately if someone has done so!

cr: to real owners