Taboo and Punishment

Let Me Keep You

Subscribe | Upvote | Comment


 

 

Taboo and Punishment

“I-I’m Jongin,” replied the disconcerted ruby-eyed vampire as those probing dark orbs peered at him in a curious, demanding way. Those eyes unmistakably reminded him of Joonmyun’s, but without the older and expressive edge that swam inside similar bottomless depths.

“Jongin?” repeated the small child, testing that name on his tongue experimentally as if actually tasting it. “So you’re the scent that Minnie and DaeDae wouldn’t let me find.”

There was a slight but noticeable lisp when the boy spoke, Jongin detected. It was quite endearing when combined with a pouty, blank face and an innocent tone of voice that correlated with such a childish mind. This boy, to a certain degree, differed jarringly in comparison to Kyungsoo when regarding their mannerisms and thought processes, but all the while still retained subtle similarities. Both younglings possessed fathomless cat-like curiosity and acted angelic in anything they did, but then their similarities digressed into opposing currents of the same sea. Attributed from indulging in countless books, Kyungsoo developed a wide range of vocabulary that deceived the unwary of his intelligence and was blessed with the enviable fluidity of movements that resembled a butterfly’s—light and dainty but quick. Seemingly more young and inexperienced, this little vampire had a simplistic style of speech and the fashion of his movements were swift and impulsive, almost flighty like a bird’s.

Before Jongin could respond to the boy’s statement, there was another rush of hasty footsteps—two pairs, if Jongin was reading the differences between their characteristics and tempos correctly—and two people swept into the drawing room unannounced, the large ivory doors buffeting a gust of wind when they were abruptly barged opened. The wind carried over to the vampires occupying the room, and Jongin immediately recognized Minseok’s scent, but the other was unfamiliar to him. It belonged to a young man who was perhaps around Minseok’s physical age. The most striking features Jongin’s eyes caught on to first were the man’s prominently chiseled cheekbones and then his squared off jawline. In the glowing firelight, his neatly cropped hair was a glossy ebony color that matched his attentive but amused eyes of black coffee.

“Sehunnie!” was Minseok’s whiny complaint, which was then followed up by a peeved foot stamp. “I told you to stay put! Those were your father’s orders! And yet you run away anyways!”

‘Sehunnie’, the boy currently cradled carefully in Jongin’s arms, wrinkled his nose disagreeably and then blandly said, “But I wanted to see who he was.” To emphasize his point, the child poked Jongin’s chalky tan cheek with a finger.

Minseok skittered back to partially himself behind his companion when Joonmyun sent a glare his way. Steam might as well have been rising from the superior one’s head. Even though Minseok claimed that he was a great babysitter, the situation right now if used as an example deemed him otherwise.

Joonmyun shook his head in mounting exasperation and raised a hand to rub at the vein pulsing violently underneath the white skin of his smooth forehead. “Honestly, Minseok, can you ever manage a job right without messing up?” he sighed harshly.

“But it’s not always my fault,” mumbled the meek guard to his defense.

Pretending not to have heard that, Joonmyun sauntered over to Jongin and held out his arms. “Come here, Sehun.”

Swiveling around by a fraction, Sehun peeked at his father regardfully from under his messy bangs before declining the man with a noncommittal shake of his head. He promptly buried his passive face in the strong slope of Jongin’s neck, making himself cozy there.

At that exact moment, Jongin had the pathetic fleeing urge to sink into a hole and disappear forever, because the deadly look that Joonmyun shot him after being denied by his son in front of everyone had him cowering for his life. Seriously, it was as if all of Joonmyun’s sons were born to tick their father off by clinging to Jongin. In return, the newborn felt as if the world was tormenting him by letting it happen. The stars must be twinkling with laughter right now.

Joonmyun’s tone was strained with suppressed anger and irritation. He punctuated each syllable slowly and clearly through gritted teeth. His pearly-white fangs, which poked out the most, glinted sinisterly. “Se...hun...come...here.”

Initially, Jongin would’ve gladly handed Sehun over to his father without question, but the child had tightly wounded his short, skinny arms around his neck, preventing himself from being separated from his person of interest. Damn, this kid has a monster grip!

There was no doubt. Jongin had only been in this castle for less than an hour or so and he was already dead meat. Well, Chanyeol did try to pummel him into broken mess of bones earlier, but this was ten times worse.

Sehun.” Now the superior one was exuding a dangerous aura.

The youngling harrumphed rebelliously in response then fondly nuzzled Jongin’s jaw with his cheek. “No, I like Jongin. He smells nice.”

If Jongin could’ve blushed then and there, he would have.

“Uh-oh,” Zitao uttered blithely, with a hand covering his mouth to hide his twitching smile. “Well, isn’t this a surprise? Jongin sure is a Siren if he can attract so many vampires,” he joked in a playful purr. His insinuating comment elicited a derisive snort from Chanyeol and a disgruntled face from Baekhyun.

NO!” Kyungsoo wailed loudly, making everyone jump at the unexpected pitch in his voice. He wiggled madly in Yixing’s arms, kicking his legs and pushing at his mother’s chest so he could try to get down. “No! Jonginnie is mine! You can’t have him, Sehunnie!”

“Oh, dear,” Yifan sighed as he noted the undoubtable spike of possessiveness from his outraged nephew. “You shouldn’t have like that, Zitao.”

The “oops” that slipped from his mate’s luscious lips contrasted with the unrepentant look upon his smirking face.

Seeing that it was useless to quiet his son, Yixing set Kyungsoo down on the plush carpet. It wasn’t a nanosecond later that the doe-eyed boy had zipped over to his mate and was tugging insistently on his arm.

Not wanting to upset his little one any further, Jongin firmly pried off the grabby hold Sehun had on him and wordlessly passed the resisting child over to Joonmyun. The boy struggled and whined in protest, but a growl from his father silenced any remaining objections. Immediately afterwards, Kyungsoo was scooped up by Jongin, and the older boy was quick to console his beloved, holding him tight and nuzzling his face apologetically. The owl-eyed boy sniffled, still distressed, but he felt better being in his mate’s comforting arms.

Joonmyun tapped Sehun’s nose admonishingly and the child whimpered. “You know better than to provoke mates, my son.” He tossed a stern look over to Yifan’s mate. “You too, Zitao.”

The vampire with the chiseled facial features of a stone statue crossed his arms and cocked a brow at Joonmyun’s remindful warning. “How contradictory for you to say that, Master Joonmyun,” he said silkily with exaggerated finesse. “If I recall correctly, you were provoking me some weeks ago when you were snarling out your frustration at my mate.” His accusing remark was supported by a wounded nod from Minseok.

So this guy must be Minseok’s mate, Jongin deducted, observing the pair past Kyungsoo’s head. I think Minseok mentioned that his mate is way older than him. And something about his presence tells me that he’s really strong.

“Well, we were having a panic attack over Kyungsoo’s disappearance, so I think my explosive attitude was well-warranted for, Jongdae,” Joonmyun responded glibly, absently patting Sehun’s back as the young vampire brooded over the unfair reality of being forcibly taken away from his new person of interest. He stared at how cozy and intimate Jongin and Kyungsoo were with each other mournfully. A pang of intense wistfulness rattled his small frame.

The youngling’s dejected expression did not go amiss by his cousin. Baekhyun came forward and pacified the moping child by sweetly his hair and giving him an encouraging smile. It was impossible not to succumb to Baekhyun’s tender treatment; he was sincerely kind and had that knack to brighten up the gloomiest of days.

“How about we go play? Would you like that, Sehun?” Baekhyun proposed saccharinely.

Sehun sniffled and nodded mutely. He allowed himself to be taken from his father’s arms and tucked into his cousin’s. Although Baekhyun was shorter and less muscular than the adult vampires (and also the newborns, but he tried not to dwell on that), he was able to carry the young child without too much trouble.

Joonmyun shooed the younger generation away with a dismissive hand. “Yes, yes, go on. We adults still have some matters to...confer to. Minseok, do watch over them—without any more mistakes, mind you.”

Minseok saluted playfully. “Yes, sir!” With a peppy bounce in his steps, the bronze-haired guard ushered Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Sehun out since they were the closest, but when it came to Jongin and Kyungsoo, they were stopped when Joonmyun called out, “Hold on a moment. Jongin, Kyungsoo, stay awhile longer. Our discussion concerns the two of you...well, more of Kyungsoo than you, fledgling.”

After the others had left, Jongdae closed the massive doors and leaned against them casually, performing his role as a guard perfectly without seeming like it. Seeing that had Jongin thinking dryly, It’s not like we can leave anyways. He faced the two superior ones and their mates obediently. Kyungsoo, sensing the change in the atmosphere, wisely remained quiet. His small, delicate fingers that gripped at Jongin’s broad shoulders tightened infinitesimally.

“What’s this about?” Jongin asked.

Joonmyun and Yifan exchanged terse glances before fixing their gaze on Kyungsoo solemnly. Yixing pursed his lips worrisomely and dropped his gaze, while Zitao wore a resigned look that emphasized the eerie shadows produced by the contours of his face.

“Before Yifan left to go fetch all of you, we briefly agreed that there was a certain matter that must be dealt with,” Joonmyun explained in an even tone. “I’m not sure if you’re aware, Jongin, but in the time Kyungsoo spent with you before you Changed, my son curbed his thirst for your blood by feeding off of humans within the city.” The man’s dark chocolate eyes glinted ominously. “He drank from these humans until they died. Do you understand? He did something inexcusable—something frowned upon in our society. We vampires are prohibited from killing humans when drinking their blood. It is a minor offense if a human lives after being fed from, but if doing so leads to their death...that is forbidden.”

“Kyungie?” Jongin looked down in disbelief at the raven-haired boy he held so dearly, but the latter refused to meet his shocked gaze, having buried his guilt-ridden face in his mate’s strong shoulder.

“Joonmyun mentioned how he later eased Kyungsoo’s thirst by letting him feed off of him and Minseok,” Yifan spoke up grimly, his wide, thin lips downturned. “But we cannot overlook how Kyungsoo broke a law—a severe one at that. He has to be properly punished for his crimes.”

Hearing that jolted Jongin’s inner demon awake, every nerve that inhabited his body sparking with crackling static. His mate be punished? Was Kyungsoo going to be badly hurt? Tortured? Imprisoned? He would never allow it. He would defy anyone who dared to bring harm upon his important person.

Yifan carded his long fingers through his ashy blond hair in vexation. “Yes, and this is where it gets problematic. With you being bonded to Kyungsoo and just having been Turned, your vampiric instincts, which are very new and undisciplined, will go...er, haywire to protect Kyungsoo.”

No kidding. Jongin’s mind was reeling, already trying to figure out a bazillion of ways to free Kyungsoo from his punishment. Maybe he should utilize the element of surprise and dart out the room before anyone can react...the others did admit how fast he was...

As if reading his train of thoughts, Jongdae smirked and gave Jongin a look that clearly said, Yeah, wanna try, punk? I dare you.

“And no matter what, Kyungsoo must be properly disciplined to pay for his crimes,” Yixing softly inputted, but his angular face was pinched with distress, contrasting with what he was saying. “We can’t pamper him. We’re a high-class pureblood clan, so we set an example to others. If other vampires discover that someone from the upper class had committed a taboo and wasn’t punished accordingly, then they will surely revolt.”

“So how are you going to deal with this?” Jongin demanded, his protective instincts for Kyungsoo skyrocketing. The little owl-eyed boy uttered a tiny, pitiful sound and Jongin automatically hushed him soothingly.

“Being that Kyungsoo is still considered a youngling, I propose that we grant him a light penalty but with extended time,” Yifan asserted.

The three older vampires peered at the tallest one speculatively. “Oh? And what will that be, Yifan?” Zitao wondered, uncrossing his legs to lean forward expectantly on the loveseat.

Yifan tapped his throat. “Starting today, Kyungsoo will be withheld from blood for, let’s say, the next two weeks.”

Yixing grimaced at the horrid thought of his sweet baby boy being deprived of his essential food source for such a long time. Likewise, Zitao also disapproved of such a loathsome sentence, evident by the way his handsome features pinched together as if he was repulsed.

Sharing the same sentiment as the other two, Jongin hissed in overt opposition. From what he’d learned, each vampire had a different blood intake and tolerance. Purebloods could function well without blood for about ten days at most before the burning flare of thirst overwhelmed them. For vampire-born, it was about a week long, and for es, a few days after they’d settled down from their newborn stages. However, younglings were tricky. Any youngling, whether a pureblood or not, was still cultivating the habit of drinking blood since their fangs didn’t grow in until their second century and their thirst before the milestone was much milder. The Thirst for a fangless youngling was usually an aching in their gums and the weariness of their bodies.

An uneasy gurgle bubbled up in Kyungsoo’s throat upon the decision of his sentence. The last time he had drank was from his father a few days ago. He hadn’t been feeding from Jongin because, for a newborn, it was important for him to consume more blood than he gave in order to rapidly quell his rabid thirst.

The petite vampire glanced up from under his shadowing bangs when he felt the cold fingertips of his father glide across his round cheek, seeking for his attention. “Do you understand, Kyungsoo?” Joonmyun inquired softly. “We’re going to have to separate you from Jongin and lock you up in a fortified cellar that’s located in the castle’s lower levels. For two weeks, you’ll be isolated and starved of blood.”

Thin pale fingers caught ahold of the bigger ones that caressed an ashen cheek. “I understand, Daddy,” Kyungsoo intoned hollowly.

“Will I also be...contained?” Jongin asked tentatively, brows furrowed.

Yifan rubbed his chin thoughtfully, scrutinizing his nephew and his mate with a sharp, analytical gaze. “It will probably be the best idea for you to be. Who knows what will happen when you pick up any emotional affliction that Kyungsoo feels relayed through your bond’s link. Perhaps Kyungsoo should command for you to sleep for the time being, although it is uncertain how long you’ll remain slumbering if his condition drastically weakens.”

“Can Kyungsoo at least feed a bit before being locked up?” Yixing pleaded, his hands cupped together close to his attractive face while giving his mate a big, imploring look. It was a full-on attack to crumble his mate’s iron defenses into a mound of soft sand.

Immediately, Joonmyun caved in at those glistening puppy-dog eyes and it was difficult to tear his gaze away. No wonder his sons could tempt God to sin, because they’d inherited their mother’s alluring characteristics of pouty lips, disarming eyes, and irresistible voices.

From where he calmly sat, Zitao gleefully witnessed how his eldest son used his charm to successfully overpower his mate. There was no question that it worked. Zitao was proud, for he had taught his son well.

“W-we cannot allow room f-for too much compassion,” Joonmyun managed to say, although his clear soprano voice wavered unsteadily. Damn his mate’s devious tactics; he was feeling scatter-brained right now. “K-Kyungsoo—he can, uh... He can do what again?”

Yifan tried not to laugh outright at his friend’s useless state of mind. His lips twitched as he helpfully supplied, “Kyungsoo can feed a bit before isolation.”

Upon seeing Yifan’s entertained expression, Joonmyun bit back an annoyed growl. “...Yes, that.”

Yixing clapped his hands together elegantly in gratification. “Then that’s settled! Come here, Qingzhu. Your daddy is probably tired of you draining his blood, so take mine for now.”

Qingzhu? As in Kyungsoo? So that must be his Chinese name, Jongin idly thought as he reluctantly passed his little one over to his mother. His name sounds beautiful in any language.

While Yixing was urging Kyungsoo to drink from him, Yifan smoothed out his already tidy shirt and fixed the stray strands of his hair out of habit. “Since that’s settled, I’ll go inform Minseok of Kyungsoo’s punishment. He’s going to have to ward off Baekhyun and the others from Kyungsoo. Jongdae, go prepare the cellar.”

“Yes, sir.” Jongdae opened the door so his master could coolly stride out into the hallway first before he followed afterwards with a lazier gait.

After casting a thoughtful glance around the room, Zitao decided that he should also take his leave, being considerate to give some privacy to the rest of them. He rose to his feet fluidly, standing tall and proud, and lightly announced, “I’m going to go advise the servants to avoid the lower levels of the castle. Wouldn’t want someone to have a heart attack later.”

Joonmyun nodded. “Good idea. I also need to check the room that we’re keeping him”—he offhandedly jerked a thumb at Jongin who scowled—“in and see if it’s sturdy enough.”

“Sturdy?” muttered the ruby-eyed newborn.

Just as he was exiting the room after Zitao’s retreating figure, Joonmyun smirked over his shoulder, his dark eyes humorlessly amused. “Yes, if it’s sturdy enough not to break.”

 

 

...

 

 

“Eh?! We can’t see Kyungsoo for two weeks? But he just returned home!” Baekhyun exclaimed in protest, his husky voice hushed but still loud with bafflement. His repressed exclamation echoed faintly down the vacant hall, evaporating within its hollow length.

Within the sanctuary of one of Sehun’s many playrooms—this one entirely crammed with overlapping and intertwining train sets of various models and craft—that’s where Yifan had aptly tracked down Minseok. From behind the playroom’s door, Yifan had heard his sullen nephew halfheartedly playing with the electronic train set, pretending that he was a conductor as he fiddled with a remote. Chanyeol had been nearby, advised by Baekhyun to raise the little boy’s spirits, so his deep voice had filled the empty pockets of conversation as he tried to urge joking responses from Sehun. After checking up on his nephew, Yifan had discreetly sought out Minseok’s audience by flaring his presence, but in doing so, he’d inadvertently piqued his son’s attention, who couldn’t have ignored his father’s suspicious summons, especially when he’d assumed it was about something important and grave. The fact that Kyungsoo and Jongin hadn’t appeared nagged at the brunet. When Minseok had quietly slipped out the door, Baekhyun had murmured to his mate to keep Sehun occupied before sneaking after the guard. Down at the end of the corridor, Baekhyun had obtrusively joined his father and the family guard in their whispered discussion.

Having foreseen his son’s reaction, Yifan dispelled a weary sigh and massaged his taut neck to alleviate the stress beginning to build up there in his muscles. “Yes, yes, we’re well aware of that. But the earlier the punishment is handed out, the earlier it will be done.”

Baekhyun nibbled on his lower lip worriedly. His cinnamon brown eyes were downcast. “I can’t believe Soo would commit a taboo,” he mumbled.

Minseok laid a hand on the brunet’s sunken shoulder. “It is hard to believe,” he agreed sorely, “but I investigated it myself, Young Master Baekhyun. Young Master Kyungsoo, along with his scent, had left behind a trail of bodies, all who had been completely drained of blood.”

“It—it was a mistake!” Baekhyun refuted defensively, wringing out his beautifully-crafted hands in a nervous manner. “Kyungsoo didn’t know better! He was just confused being surrounded by so many humans and—”

The babbling stream of excuses was effectively cut off when Yifan raised a perilous hand. The superior one’s sharp facial features had flatten out into an expression of passiveness, narrowed eyes indecipherable and slanted lips firmly squared out.

“Do not defend him, Baixian,” the older vampire chided crisply. “It is futile for you to do so. And besides, you know our laws—how strict and demanding they are. If you had been the one in Kyungsoo’s position, even I wouldn’t be lenient. Believe it or not, although I am the one who suggested Kyungsoo’s punishment, Joonmyun was the one who eased the severity.” Then he rolled his eyes and corrected himself. “Or it’s more valid to say that Yixing lessened the severity.”

That last statement had Baekhyun’s coral lips upturned in puzzlement, but instead of pursuing the subject, he inquired, “And what of Soo’s mate, Jongin?”

It was then that Yifan deflated. A frown settled upon his lips. “Jongin will be...detained for the time being. Kyungsoo will command for him to sleep, and Jongdae will watch over him.” He leveled an authoritative glare at his disagreeable son, demanding no further arguments. “As for you, my son, do understand that you and the others are prohibited from visiting Kyungsoo. Minseok will keep an eye on you especially.”

“That’s unfair!” Baekhyun adopted Minseok’s way of showing frustration: he stamped his foot childishly. Recognizing that he was what influenced the younger vampire’s immature actions, Minseok stifled a cough behind a fist, fervently hoping that the superior one wouldn’t be inclined to chastise him about being a lousy role model to be imitated after. Luckily enough, Yifan didn’t, his attention pinned elsewhere.

To the superior one, there was no question how close Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were—they were snug, cushy, and closely-knitted together like a woven pair of winter mittens. Their friendship defined the ultimate reciprocated relationship between two best friends—the inseparableness, the defensiveness, the similarities, and the communication. Having been nearer in age, the two younglings had spent more time together than with their own siblings. As individuals, they shared the same likes and sentiments, and that’s what thus brought them together. Those two loved each other as intensely as any friend could without overstepping the boundary that would’ve then marked them as lovers.

Because of their powerful friendship, Yifan knew that his son wouldn’t just sit around like some obedient pup while his best friend was being harshly disciplined—even if for justifiable reasons. He was sure of it and had proof to support his presumption, considering how restless and overly concerned Baekhyun had been during Kyungsoo’s whimsical escapade. He recalled the hours that had passed after Kyungsoo’s confirmed disappearance. It had been later on, sometime before dawn, when he and Jongdae had returned to the castle from their search and Zitao had warily sought him out. His mate had reported to him how he had coincidently heard of a hushed plan between Baekhyun and Chanyeol to sneak out into the city to chase after Kyungsoo. Upon hearing that, Yifan had requested his mate to ‘closely watch over’ their son and his newborn. Impatient younglings, he grumbled. It’s a damn good thing Joonmyun returned before the situation at home got out of hand.

He critically observed as his son adopted a wound up posture of restrained displeasure and his ears pricked when he heard a low grumble of aversion that was mindfully withheld from being a full-out growl. Foolish child, he internally chided, exuding an infinitesimal amount of his domineering presence to sternly admonish the young vampire. How dare you show defiance in front of me? Your father, a superior one, nonetheless?

Because he’s just like you, his conscience reminded him smugly. He’s prideful when it concerns his loyalties and beliefs because he’s the noble type that protects what’s important to him.

It was true that Baekhyun detested the implication that he was untrustworthy and perceived as trouble. As a matter of fact, the very notion injured his pride, especially since he was nearing the age of adulthood, where one day he would officially take part in social and political matters within the vampiric society; but in this case, as the youngling he was now, which was more important to him: his attachment to Kyungsoo or his standpoint before his father’s eyes?

Kyungsoo.

As if reading his thoughts, Minseok squeezed Baekhyun’s stiff shoulder in warning, wordlessly urging the younger vampire to calm down. If he stirred up more trouble, who knew what kind of punishment would befall him? Kyungsoo wouldn’t have wanted his best friend to risk harming himself.

Vivid thoughts and images of Kyungsoo aded Baekhyun’s mind. He could clearly envision worry lines etched around the cute features of an angelic face and see the glimmer of anxiousness reflected in round doe eyes. A pang of defeat hit him hard in the chest, the fight swimming inside him defusing. He didn’t want his adorable little cousin to feel guilty for being the reason why he was acting so defiant.

Somewhere in the back recess of his mind, Baekhyun felt a faint prickle. It was the bond between him and Chanyeol, having been tapped when his mate reached out to him telepathically. Like a radio, Chanyeol had instantly picked up on his mounting distress and flashes of rare temper through their link and, considering how scarce it was for Baekhyun to be enraged, he was wondering (it was more like he was demanding) what the heck was happening while madly struggling against the roar of instinctive need to rush over and protect him. If Chanyeol hadn’t been watching over Sehun as asked and been intrinsically afraid of Yifan, than there was no doubt in Baekhyun’s heart that his mate would’ve stormed in like a superhero to save him.

I’m fine, the brunet managed to reply, his posture sagging and fists uncurling—signs of surrender. You don’t have to come. I was just arguing with Father, that’s all.

Chanyeol acquiesced, albeit reluctantly, and his presence faded away from his mind like the whisper of the wind. After inhaling a breath to calm himself, Baekhyun lifted his chin and stared at his father, who had been silent as he prudently waited for the younger vampire to gather his composure together, straight in the eyes and gingerly said, “Fine, I understand. I will not bring any more trouble to Kyungsoo by bothering him.”

Behind the skinny brunet, Minseok relaxed marginally, extremely glad that his young master wouldn’t make his life harder than it already was—Kyungsoo had that privilege hands down.

Huffing, Yifan crisply his heel and then strode down the hallway, the back of his tall, leonine figure being all that Baekhyun and Minseok could see before he was swallowed up by the hall’s cavern of darkness.

“I’ll hold that as a promise from you, Baixian.”

 

 

...

 

 

When Yifan, Jongdae, Joonmyun, and Zitao had absented themselves to go carry out their duties, the drawing room had been primarily emptied out, save for Jongin, Kyungsoo, and Yixing. And despite the coziness of the furnishing and the blazing fireplace, Jongin felt uncomfortable and chilly in the room that suddenly seemed massive and vacant to him. As of now, he was idly and awkwardly standing in the spacious center of the room, away from the enticing warmth of the crackling fire and the welcoming circle of cushioned seats—because that’s where his room companions were currently at. The newborn impatiently shuffled around on his feet like a dancing monkey while his mate fed from his mother.

Earlier before, Yixing had reclaimed his previous seat but now had his son situated comfortably in his lap. As he patiently waited for the little raven-haired boy to drink his fill, his long, skinny arms were s around Kyungsoo’s thin waist, acting as a reassuring brace just in case the child would lean back. Occasionally he would rub soothing circles on Kyungsoo’s stretched out spine, silently urging for his son to relax.

While Kyungsoo was basically straddling his mother, he had to angle his body upward to compensate for their height difference so he could reach the delectable throat offered to him. His small, snow-white hands were tightly fisted in the collar of his mother’s shirt, wrinkling the neatly ironed fabric as he slurped, , and swallowed up the appetizing blood from the beautiful slope that was his mother’s neck. Knowing that he was banned from feeding for the next two weeks and had a scant amount of time now, he fed vigorously, but he also felt sorry for damaging his mother’s exquisite skin. Retracting his tiny fangs, he at the puncture wounds apologetically, whining under his breath like a puppy.

In response, Yixing nuzzled Kyungsoo’s temple and hummed musically into silky raven locks. “It’s okay, my darling. It’s okay.” The copper-haired vampire didn’t really mind about the pain, since he had high tolerance for it and his wounds always healed exceptionally fast.

Kyungsoo sniffled dolefully and hugged his wonderful mother closer. Through their link, a wave of remorse washed over Jongin and he cringed at the intensity. He had to resist the overwhelming urge to scoop up his beloved into his arms and do everything within his power to banish all the distressful emotions that tormented the child, but Yixing was already coddling Kyungsoo, so he was unable to placate his mate or himself. Thus he began to pace on the plush violet carpet in pent up frustration, his top row of ultra-white teeth chomped down hard on his thick lower lip as he did so. Seconds later, Jongdae soundlessly appeared by the door that had been left ajar and bowed his head formally at Yixing.

“The cellar is ready,” the guard informed grimly. “And the room for the newborn as well. Master Joonmyun bade me to take you there first.”

Both Jongin and Kyungsoo simultaneously stiffened at the news. Yixing nodded miserably and stood up with his son held securely against his chest, as if he couldn’t bear to let go. The three vampires wordlessly clustered together and followed Jongdae to wherever in the castle.

To his surprise, Jongin hadn’t realized how many lower levels of the castle there were. Well, he had to amend himself, for he did recall how the castle had been built on a high rise, so it was logical that there was space underground. Therefore, it was more accurate to say he had misjudged the interior of the castle, because it indeed had many upper levels, which is what threw him off, since he had mistaken that the size of it was attributed to the height aboveground.

Of course a vampire castle has dungeons, Jongin thought sourly as they took flight after flight of stairs, but these weren’t made of polished marble, but rather a rougher stone that was a neutral faded ash color. Actually, upon further examination, the entire underground structure was comprised of this coarse stone, from the walls to the ceilings and even the doors.

The four of them stopped partway down a long passageway when Joonmyun materialized into view like a ghost shimmering into existence—and he could’ve been one with the semi-translucency of his marble-like pallor and the dull glint in his dusky eyes. The superior one was boredly leaning against the unblemished wall beside a rectangular indention that outlined a door. A lit torch—the only source of light and warmth in this cold, desolate place—occupied the other side of the door in its sconce that was adhered there.

Upon their approach, Joonmyun inclined his head lazily their way, stray strands of his inky bangs falling along with the movement to obscure a milky forehead. His fathomless expression was half-shaded by the flickering shadows caused by the torchlight. “Finally,” he murmured. “You sure took your sweet time.” He gracefully straightened out his slouched posture and laid a palm on the door’s flat surface. “This is where you’ll be staying, brat. Come on.” His hand glided downward and pressed a loose cutout of stone that Jongin hadn’t noticed. Apparently it served as a button because the weight of the door jammed itself inward, as if a brick was being wedged in place amongst other bricks, and the indentation on one side spanned into a wider crevice until it became a fitting opening for someone. Snatching up the torch, Joonmyun ducked inside, and the rest of them, excluding Jongdae who dutifully stood guard by the door, warily stepped through the threshold, too.

Similar to as it was in the underground labyrinth of hallways, it was chilly and bare inside the cube-shaped room (or was it a cellar? A dungeon? Jongin had no idea). Much to the former human’s disquietude, air could only be filtered in and out of here—since the room was enclosed to an air-tight degree—through the two circular air ducts that shared the same diameter of a basketball in the ceiling. The room was also nearly soundproof due to the thickness of the stone walls, and if the door happened to be stuck in place, there was no chance of escape, not even through the twin air shafts because of their claustrophobic diameters that definitely ensured human-blockage if any ‘squeezing through’ was dared and their cylindrical sandpapered surfaces that provided no useful hand or footholds.

Well, that was just plain discouraging.

By the left wall was a raised platform of stone that served as a bed, and Joonmyun must’ve of procured the thin mattress, fleece blanket, and spare pillow that was currently dumped on it. Over on the right side was a modest wooden table with a matching hand-carved chair. Sitting on the table was an unlit lantern, like the one the servant who had opened the gate had been carrying. If anything, Jongin observed, this was like a new dorm room—simple, small, and mostly empty.

After sliding the torch in its sconce by the door slab, Joonmyun jerked his chin at the bed that looked so uninviting it could only tempt a dying soul to lay on it. “This is where you’ll be slumbering, boy.” He smirked, just a tiny, self-satisfied smirk that contrasted with his soft, saintly features. “I hope you like your accommodations.”

Although Jongin knew that vampires didn’t register the same physical discomforts as humans—like mimicking the perfect stillness of a statue or forgoing breathing for hours on end—because of their stronger, sturdier bodies, he had to forcibly clamp his lips together so he wouldn’t bite back a retort at the superior one’s snide comment. Jerk. He is such a jerk.

To avoid a round of bickering, Jongin blatantly ignored the older vampire (Joonmyun huffed at his cold shoulder) and rested his engrossed gaze on Kyungsoo. Noticing the atmosphere of longing between his son and the newborn, Yixing decided to give them some privacy. He gently set Kyungsoo down on his feet, politely nodded his farewell at Jongin, and then swiftly grabbed his mate’s arm as he turned around to leave.

Immediately, Joonmyun struggled against his mate’s unyielding grip and protested, “Hey, Yixing! What are you do— Unhand me! We can’t just— Let me go!”

“Oh, hush, you big baby,” Yixing chastised his significant other in fond exasperation. Arm captive, Joonmyun was unceremoniously yanked out the door, and the pair rounded the corner out of sight. “Kyungsoo, honey, we’re going to close to door, but you know where the button is to open it!” hollered the copper-haired vampire before the slab of stone was sealed shut, cutting off Jongdae’s snickering and Joonmyun’s complaining.

Relieved that the prying eyes of the others had left, Jongin sank down on his temporary bed, dryly noticing how solid and unforgiving it was even with the provided bedding—damn Joonmyun for wanting payback—and then wordlessly held out his arms.

Instantly a swooping raven eagerly flew into his outstretched arms, skinny, short wings wounding tightly around his neck, and a sweet, small face burying itself in his chest. Barely ten minutes had passed since they’d last held each other, but to them, it felt like an eternity—an endless stretch of time that was complete torture and utter agony. Some of that aching and longing swirling inside Jongin subsided, but upon remembering Kyungsoo’s punishment—their punishment because condemning one was condemning the other—it churned restlessly with anxiousness again. Therefore, Jongin relished the closeness and privacy they had now. He practically crushed Kyungsoo against him, but with a gentle, loving type of strength, one that meant he never wanted to let go, not even for the world. Kyungsoo whimpered softly and clutched at his beloved—the very human he had revered as his savior and then discovered as his mate upon being Turned—as if he was his lifeline, his sanity, his reason for existing.

The sweet silence carried on blissfully before Jongin sorely reminded himself of the others waiting for Kyungsoo. Loosening his hold, he allowed some space to separate them so he could fondly stare at the angelic face of his little one, mesmerizing each facial feature with reverence and worship. Easily guessing what the other’s thoughts were even without their bond, Kyungsoo flushed appreciatively, although he should’ve been used to the doting due to the days where he’d been showered with Jongin’s utmost affection and care, but he was still ultimately flattered nonetheless.

Tilting the child’s chin up, Jongin gently bumped their foreheads together. His straying fingers threaded through those silky midnight locks, and he loved the feel of how the strands caressed his skin like water rivulets.

“You’ll still be around when I wake up, right?” he murmured, smoldering red eyes locked with doeful brown orbs. Silent understanding passed between the two.

Those heart-shaped lips quavered. “Yes,” his little one peeped. “I’ll find you if you can’t find me. Same?”

“Same,” Jongin agreed softly. He briefly pressed his lips against Kyungsoo’s, but then lingered in close after parting to inhale the fresh, sweet fragrance of his beloved. Sighing wistfully, he released his hold on the petite child and laid down on the hard cot. He was settled once his head was cushioned on the puffy pillow and the fleece blanket was tucked up to his chin.

“Okay, Kyungie. Put me to sleep.”

The little vampire his lips before leaning in close to whisper into his ear.

Go to sleep, Jonginnie.

And this time, instead of being compelled, Jongin listened. He closed his eyes and sank into oblivion.

 

 


Really, honestly, truthfully, I meant to update in December, but then life got in the way (spending time with family, getting sick, dealing with college stuff, and trying to finish this). But before I could blink, January punched me in the face and yelled, "HAPPY NEW YEARS! YOU'RE STILL A WRETCHED UPDATER!" ...And then I sobbed in the corner for awhile.

Well, yes, it's the start of a new year, and as an author with this new and first chapter of the year, I present it to you with a giant I'M SORRY. I mentioned it before that being a senior is tough because I gotta make all these serious life choices for my future that I'm not 100% sure about. For one thing, I'm not following my heart/true self since my parents are my dictators, so I can't suddenly pack my bags and say I'm leaving for Japan. (Wait for me, Japan. You know my heart belongs to you.) Soooo, yeah, I don't know what I'm doing with my life. Excuse me, let me go cry in the corner again.

Anyways! I noticed how I'm still pooling in a bunch of new subbies. HI, NEW SUBBIES! And I am extremely grateful to those who commented during my absence to urge me to update. I swear I tried to do my best, it's just I kept hitting a wall. Ahem, who put that wall there? Was it you, Mr. Unmotivation? You shall meet a horrendous death for delaying me.

As usual, please comment for the heck of it or if you have any questions for me, and I will certainly get back to you. Just as a heads up, I might not update until maybe late February. I also have to reedit this chapter later this week if I get the chance. So until then, peace out, my lovelies!

And since I updated kind of on time: HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO DO KYUNGSOO AND KIM JONGIN! AND YAY FOR KAISOO DAY!

Reminder: No plagiarizing! No copying! No stealing! No translating! Tell me immediately if someone has done so!

cr: to real owners