JaeHee

Perfectly Loud

Chapter 2 is here! Whoop Whoop!

Click this, Not only is Busker Busker amazing, it set's the tone of this chapter! ^_^


~ JaeHee ~

She swung back and forth gently on the park swing, a slight breeze ruffling her long black hair. She inhaled the Autumn air and closed her eyes in content, letting her lips curve into a gentle smile. It was one of those rare days where JaeHee got a break from her duties and could just take time to relax. She could take a time out from her crazy and hectic life and just breathe.

She got up off the swing and walked over to the merry-go-round, she sat on the edge of it and propped her right foot up onto the base of the merry-go-round while using her left foot to gently push herself. It was unusually quiet at the playground today (not that she was complaining) and there was not a single soul present. It almost looked lifeless. If it weren't for JaeHee it would have been.

JaeHee always had a life philosophy, one that she stuck to no matter what. It was to enjoy the little things in life because life's to short to take anything for granted. Sometime's the tiniest gesture can bring the greatest amount of happiness. It''s why JaeHee always went out of her way to help people. Whether she happened to walk by a parking meter that was expired (she'd deposited a coin into it so they wouldn't get ticketed) or flipping over a tails up penny on the ground, it was little things like this that could change someone's whole day.

Life hadn't always been kind to JaeHee. She was no stranger to the cruel twists of fate, and the unfortunate tragedies in life. Having lost both of her parents in a fire (which was later determined as arson) JaeHee and her little sister MinHye were sent to live with their grandparents. For a long time JaeHee was a cold and bitter person who hated the world and everyone in it. She became depressed and suicidal and if it wasn't for her little sister, she'd have kicked the bucket a long time ago.

When her parents died, her little sister was only 3 and she was to young to really grasp what had happened. Because her parents were no longer around to take care of them, she had to become a parent to MinHye. Yes JaeHee had the support of her grandparent's, but they were elderly and didn't need to be bothered with unnecessary problems.

JaeHee sighed as she checked the time on her watch. She only had a few more minutes left before she had to get home to make dinner. MinHye went to a friends house after school today, which was why JaeHee had free time, but she needed to first stop at the grocery store to get the ingredients. She stood up from the merry-go-round and walked towards the exit of the park. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ears and stuck her hands in her cardigans pocket and walked down the street.

When JaeHee got home, when she put her key into the door to get in, she noticed her door was already unlocked. She found this very odd and started to go through the rational explanations in her head. She knows her grandparents never leave the door unlocked when they aren't home and even when they are it's always locked. She gingerly pushed the door open and peered inside. It was dark, which was even more weird. Her grandparents had a hard time seeing in the dark so they almost always kept the lights on day or night. 

"Grandma? Grandpa? are you home?" JaeHee called throughout the oddly silent house. When she got no answer, JaeHee shrugged her shoulders and figured that since her grandparents were elderly maybe they just forgot a few things and went out.

JaeHee went to the kitchen and put the groceries down, carefully taking out each ingredient and setting it on the counter in order of use. She got out some pots and pans and cutting utensils and started to chop the vegetables. She was going to make their favorite dish tonight. Since MinHye would be staying over her friends house for the night, it was just going to be JaeHee and her grandparents at dinner. 

Once the meal was finally cooked and complete, JaeHee checked her watch again to see it was 6:30. Usually her grandparents get back around 6. Where could they be? Deciding to just hope for the best, JaeHee set the table and laid out the plates and food and sat down at the table and waited....and waited....and waited...until it was already 7:30. Noticing the time for a third time, JaeHee started to get really worried. It's not like she could contact her Grandparents either if they were out because they didn't believe in cell phones. They didn't even own cable TV!

'Grandma...Grandpa...where are you? Why aren't you home yet? Are you okay? Please get home soon!' JaeHee sighed and put the food away, figuring it would spoil if it sat out any longer. JaeHee washed her used dishes and made her way upstairs. She suddenly wasn't very hungry anymore. When JaeHee got to the top of the steps, she immediately covered her nose with her hand. She was assaulted with an awfully metallic smell. It made her stomach churn. JaeHee KNOWS that something is not right. Her stomach clenches and her heart beats a mile a minute as she looks in everyone's rooms. She opened MinHye's door, everything was normal. She opened  her own door, everything was fine. She opened the bathroom door, nothing wrong there. And then she got to her grandparents door. She noticed that it was closed. It was never ever closed.

Gulping down her saliva, JaeHee slowly pushed the white door open with a creak and sighed in relief when she saw both her grandparents sleeping in bed. But then, she realized that that metallic smell had gotten stronger, and further walked into the room. The lights were turned off, and so JaeHee turned the lights on. She let out a blood curling scream as she did.

There was blood. There was blood everywhere! It was on the floor, the walls, and even their white comforter was soaked in blood. JaeHee closed her eyes and willed it all away, willed it to be a dream. She opened her eyes again and it wasn't. The blood was still there, and her grandparents were still lying there...lifeless. She walked further and further towards them, using her shirts sleeve to peel back the covers so she wouldn't get blood on her hands. She gasped and let out an agonizing whimper.

Her grandparents were laying on their stomachs, covered in blood. It smelled recent, so JaeHee knew it happened sometime today. She looked at all the stab wounds and blinked. She was numb and dropped the covers in shock. What happened? Why were they murdered?

Thoughts and questions plagued her mind, and suddenly she was thankful MinHye was not here, because MinHye wouldn't be able to take the site. Still shocked, JaeHee ran out of the room and got out her cell phone, dialing 911. She was so pumped with adrenaline you couldn't understand one word she was saying because of her mumbling, but the dispatcher had managed to make out her grandparents were murdered and she needed the police.

After hanging up the phone she collapsed in the hallway, leaning against the wall before sliding down it. No. This could not be happening again. First her parents were killed in an arson case, and now her grandparents were murdered? Why does life have to be so cruel? Why must she loose everything that she loves, why must she loose everything that is dear to her? Did she commit a grave sin in a past life? Or does fate really hate her?

She didn't know how long she sat their, head between her legs. She couldn't even fathom why. Her grandparents were the nicest people in the whole universe. They had no enemies, everyone loved them, and no one would have ever thought of murdering them.

* knock knock* JaeHee's head shot up like a bullet as she turned towards the front door. She could see red and blue lights illuminating the house through the windows, so she knew the police were here. Shakily standing up, she slowly made her way to the door and opened it. The cops saw her state and gently pushed her aside, asking where her grandparents were. All she could do was point upstairs and the police all swarmed the steps. One of the police officers stayed behind, noticing how the girl looked troubled. He was in a light blue shirt, unlike the others because he was still an officer in training.

He sat down next to the crying JaeHee and put his arm around her.

"Hey, hey your okay. Were here now. Your okay." JaeHee didn't know who this officer was but she didn't care. She remained unmoving as she turned her head to observe the man. He was handsome, definitely, and he had the smoothest skin she had ever seen and he had the softest brown eyes. She would have blushed had she not been numb.

"Can you tell me what happened?" He asked gently and patted her shoulder. He couldn't have been any older than her because he still looked very young.

"W-when I came.....h-home...the door was unlocked" JaeHee tries to calm herself down by taking deep breaths. She needs to pull it together. "And I noticed the lights were o-off too. I thought my grand parent's had just forgotten to do these things and they went out. But when they didn't come home by 7:30 I started to worry. I walked up the stairs and when I got to the top I could smell something metallic. At the time I didn't think it was blood...but I knew something definitely wasn't right. When I opened my grandparents room...I saw them in their bed, but the lights were off so I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. But when I flicked the lights on, t-there was blood. Everywhere." JaeHee held no emotion in her voice. She was stoic, shocked, and numb. She couldn't even shed a tear.

~~

"White male, stab wounds on his lower back and upper torso. Two stab wounds on his neck and a stab wound on his right side." The coroner said as the cop standing next to him wrote that down on his clip board. They had already put JaeHee's Grandma into a body bag and were now working on her Grandpa.

"Hey boss, I found something!" One officer shouted as he took out a crumpled and blood splattered white piece of paper from the side of the bed. The officer opened it up and read the contents, his lips spreading into a thin line.

"You better look at this." He handed the paper to the boss and the boss frowned as he read the note.

Looks like I win again, JaeHee. First I took your parents, and now I took your grandparents. You better protect that baby sister of yours. I can't promise I won't strike again. You can run, but you can't hide. Enjoy my present.

-Sylar

"What in the world would the most wanted criminal ever want with a mere girl?" The officer asked his boss. The boss shrugged.

"I don't know, but I want to relocate them ASAP. I also want officer Kim to watch over them. Go to the same school as them, that stuff. Tell him if he can successfully keep them safe, that I'll promote him."


JaeHee was stoic at the funeral, standing next to the two coffins in the graveyard. MinHye was crying at her side, hugging her leg. She didn't know that they were murdered, everyone decided to keep that part a secret, but she was told that it was their time to go to heaven.

For some reason, JaeHee could not cry. Could not shed a tear. She looked at all the weeping people beside her, but she just couldn't. Her face was solemn, yes, but she was silent. All she could do was stare at their coffins and wish this was all a dream.

Even though it was a horrible nightmare.

Many people came up to JaeHee to offer their condolences, some crying, others looking at her in sympathy. Truthfuly JaeHee didn't want any sympathy. She just wanted everyone to leave so she could be alone. The comfort was nice, but JaeHee was getting tired of the same old line.

When the service was over, JaeHee took MinHye to the playground where they always went together. They stayed their till the evening, with the officer who comforted her that night, Myungsoo. After everything was talked about, it was decided that Myungsoo would stay with them until they got situated in their new location.

At first JaeHee refused, she didn't want to be babied. But after thinking about MinHye, she decided that her safety was most important and so she agreed but only until they moved, then she wanted to be given space. Myungsoo was actually a really nice boy and JaeHee got along well with him. He told her all about his life, and how him and his girlfriend were planning to get married as soon as he graduated college. Because Myungsoo was almost four years older than her, he was already a senior in college. It was kind of sweet when JaeHee thought about it.

"JaeHee-ah, its getting late, we should head back." JaeHee nodded next to Myungsoo on the bench and called for MinHye to come so that they could leave. MinHye nodded and happily skipped over to Myungsoo asking for a piggy back ride. He complied and they made their way back to the house so they could finish packing as they were moving first thing tomorrow.

"Myungsoo-sshi, where are we moving to?" Myungsoo looked down at JaeHee and smiled.

"I told you call me Oppa! And it's a secret." JaeHee rolled her eyes and looked to MinHye. Seeing a smile made JaeHee happy. Even if she herself was broken, as long as her younger sister was okay that's all that matters. When they got back to the house, JaeHee put MinHye to bed because she was yawning and then went to finish packing things up.

"JaeHee-ah, are you really okay?" Myungsoo asked as he wrapped some of the china and glass in newspaper.

"No. But I have to be strong for MinHye. If I'm not strong, then we won't survive. MinHye is to young to realize anything and so, no I'm not okay, but I can't do anything about it anyway." MyungSoo nodded.

"True, but my girlfriend and I will always be here to help, you know that right? Plus, my girlfriend always wanted a little sister." JaeHee cracked the slightest of smiles. Myungsoo must have really loved his girlfriend GeumHee, she's all he's talked about.

"I always wanted to be the little sister! My Minnie gets all the luck." Myungsoo snickered and before they knew it they had packed up all the plates, glasses, and silverware in the kitchen

"Are you going to miss this place?" JaeHee nodded.

"My grandparents always made this home a happy one but I guess it's time for someone else to fill it with their own happiness." JaeHee sighed and picked up a picture frame off the counter. It was a photo of her grandparents on their fiftieth wedding anniversary.

"They are in a better place now at least." Myungsoo said as he noticed the solemn expression on JaeHee's face. Myungsoo couldn't imagine how JaeHee must be feeling right now, but he could guess it wasn't pleasant. His heart hurt when he thought of her hardship and the struggle she now faces. She was so young, she didn't deserve this.

"Well it's getting late, we best be getting to sleep!" Myungsoo nodded and they both headed upstairs. JaeHee went to her room and Myungsoo went to the guest bedroom. Her grandarents door was closed with caution tape on it (they were still collecting evidence) and her door was right next to it.

"Goodnight Oppa! Thank you for everything." Myungsoo smiled and bent down so that he was eye level with JaeHee and patted her head.

"Goodnight JaeHee-ah. And your welcome. Sleep well." She nodded and they both went to their seperate rooms for the night.

As JaeHee got into her bed, she made a resolve for the new day. She would leave EVERYTHING behind. She would not bring this life with her. She was going to make a new life, even if it wasn't perfect. She knew things were far from okay, she knew she was far from okay, too.

But is anything ever perfect?


I wasn't sure whether to end the chapter here or not, but I'm just going to end it here anyway.  Till next time!

For those silent or lazy readers...

'Great chapter Author-nim! Update soon!'

or

'It was decent, but the chapter could have been better.'

or

'It Bye.'

lol comment, subscribe, upvote, yadda yadda...you know the drill.